Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

snoremac posted:

Is Uncharted 4 different or better enough than 1-3 to justify a buy? It's probably unfortunate that I played The Last of Us before playing the Remastered collection, since TLOU is so much better. These are okay. They feel like God of War but less enjoyable, the combat is sometimes fun but can feel weightless, the reliance on explosive set pieces loses steam, I keep getting stuck because I don't notice climbing visual cues, and the characters and dialogue are fun but the story is lame. 3 so far seems to improve on the gameplay quite a bit, while 2 is a lot better than 1 in that respect. But if 4 is simply more of this, I think I'll pass.

Did the TLOU directors working on U4 take it in a refreshing direction?

It's more of the same, but also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Uncharted 4 is the best playing of the games, but it is more Uncharted. If you're burned out on that gameplay, let it rest a while before you dive into 4.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Not a fan of Horizon

This is a truly fascinating post to me as I am having the absolute opposite reaction to this game. The biggest things that makes me feel we are playing two completely different games from your issues are the gameplay and the story.

The gameplay I am finding fluid, tense and action packed. Not having as many weapons active and having to switch really hits home to me the idea of a primitive tribe of humans without the same concessions we'd normally have. Their complete inexperience and backwards steps from where we are at currently. I'm finding attacking and setting up traps for each enemy fun and rewarding when I do it well and I know when the fault lies with me.

The story is where I feel the game excels itself head and shoulders over so much else in the gaming world. I need to know what is happening and I have plenty of theories about it. I've been sucked in to Aloy's world and I don't want to leave it.

spoiling this just in case anyone like me has just started it and is loving it I just figured out that based on Ted Faro's meeting with Elisabet in 2064 and the fact that the computer said Aloy was 350,000 odd days late for her meeting that the current year in game is probably 3022! This means, if my maths is correct, that Aloy is probably in her twenties and she was born in the year 3000. Maybe the year 3000 has some special relevance and thats why the machines have been acting up. They started doing it 20 years ago according to some travellers, and that would coincide nicely with my new millenium theory! :D It's just a theory and I need to play so much more but I am coming up with all these ideas and potential avenues for where I might go with it!

Are you playing on a hard difficulty and do you play lots and lots of games? I only ask because I am playing on normal and I don't play many of these game types, so the combat is probably more simple for me and I do not have nearly as much gaming experience as you so this stuff may have been covered better for you in other games. I've not experienced anything like it before which may explain why I am definitely calling it game of the year.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The funniest thing about Horizon criticism was the early goon belief that the alt-right were colluding with games journalists to bring it down, due to the female protagonist. Thankfully that died off when it started gathering more positive feedback, but holy hell. :lol:

Unrelated, but Homefront is growing on me and I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for a used copy. While the stealth mechanics are really underbaked for a game where you're not really meant to be taking part in direct fights, the slow, gradual liberation of Elmtree is satisfying. Seeing a steady shift in tone and atmosphere reminds me a little bit about The Saboteur.

However also like the Saboteur, Korean airships can eat a bag of dicks. How can something so bloody large and noisy sneak up on me so often.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

poptart_fairy posted:

The funniest thing about Horizon criticism was the early goon belief that the alt-right were colluding with games journalists to bring it down, due to the female protagonist. Thankfully that died off when it started gathering more positive feedback, but holy hell. :lol:

Nobody believed this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody believed this.

Even on the first page of the Horizon thread there's a bunch of people getting excited because "those people" are apparently angry over the game having a female protagonist and supposedly progressive world building, dude. I mean, uh

exquisite tea posted:

You've got a perfect storm of console warriors because it's a PS4 exclusive, the anti-establishment everything because it's a AAA mainstream open world game, and the "what about the men" alt-righters with its female protagonist who isn't even that sexy and looks like a man, according to gameFAQs.

Horizon's a great game, but the thread for it started out in the dumbest way possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yes, we were all mocking the pages upon pages of GameFAQs posters at the time who were posting about how the game was unduly advancing the wymynist agenda because you had to play as a girl. There was no conspiracy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I never said there was a conspiracy, buddy, just a lot of weirdos who instantly turned the thread into an alt right thing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shut up, Poptart Fairy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been replaying Samurai Warriors 4 and thinking, is this still the best Musou game right now? Since this came out I have played Berserk Musou and Musou Stars, but they are ok and bad, respectively (something about Stars' frame rate is completely hosed among other things). Gameplay-wise are any of the other anime ones in the last few years better?

edit: for those who don't know, the next Dynasty Warriors game will be open world in some sense...I am thinking something like Toukiden 2 but dunno really yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uuj26lFUrk

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 13, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That, Hyrule Warriors and Pirate Warriors 3 are about as good as the genres gotten tbh. 4-2, Spirt of Sanada and both DQ Heroes are decent too though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

That, Hyrule Warriors and Pirate Warriors 3 are about as good as the genres gotten tbh. 4-2, Spirt of Sanada and both DQ Heroes are decent too though.
Should I consider PW3 if I don't know or care about anime pirates other than one of them stretches his arms and another fights with three swords which I think is pretty cool?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yes. PW3 is like the other guy said a really good musou game. Tons of fun, Lots of content. Crazy moves. It has it all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because I'm bad the only things I don't like are how fragile Aloy is and how bad I am at sniping and not getting stepped on by a giant giraffe robot. Though I do appreciate that most human enemies seem to die in one or two hits the same as me. And that I found a gun.

I also like how even in the Nora tribe Rost is the only one who sounds like him. Everyone else speaks like a normal human being. It's also refreshing how the characters in the setting treat it like no big thing. In other games there'd be poo poo like how no one knows what strange Silver Rock beast is, in Horizon it's like "oh poo poo that's a new machine", and on the ancient artifact I found people are aware what airplanes probably were and the Nora are the only ones who don't gently caress around in ruins so other groups are comparatively more advanced. Even Aloy's like "that's a door guys".

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

Yes. PW3 is like the other guy said a really good musou game. Tons of fun, Lots of content. Crazy moves. It has it all.
Sold. I guess I'll finally learn what this One Piece thing all the kids are talking about is like.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wendell posted:

Shut up, Poptart Fairy.

It is OK to mock the alt right, friend, while also mocking those who post in a thread to talk about how fuckable Aloy is, friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Because I'm bad the only things I don't like are how fragile Aloy is and how bad I am at sniping and not getting stepped on by a giant giraffe robot. Though I do appreciate that most human enemies seem to die in one or two hits the same as me. And that I found a gun.

If you're getting stomped early the best outfits you can get are either the Nora Protector (for melee) or Oseram whatever (for ranged) with their corresponding mods. Something the game doesn't tell you outright is that all attacks are either melee or ranged, even the elemental ones. Use resistance potions against machines with elemental attacks and prepare ahead of time with traps. A well-timed dodge followed by Aloy's heavy melee is usually enough to knock down anything up to a Ravager.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

It is OK to mock the alt right, friend, while also mocking those who post in a thread to talk about how fuckable Aloy is, friend.

You're making things up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sold. I guess I'll finally learn what this One Piece thing all the kids are talking about is like.

Stretchy man punches people until they stop being bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

I also like how even in the Nora tribe Rost is the only one who sounds like him. Everyone else speaks like a normal human being.

Aloy is not a tanking shoot(wo)man. Hide in the tall grass, pick a shot. An arrow in the eye will kill a Watcher, and you need to get used to figuring out what actually damages each robot rather than trying to plink that healthbar. Grazers die if you blow the tanks off their back, Bellowbacks do not appreciate being set on fire when they're full of flammable liquid, etc, etc. Go buy some elemental weapons like the Hunter's Bow. And once you're out of the Sacred Valley, beeline for Meridian first before wandering off on your own. It's your major shopping and sidequest hub for the entire game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

If you're getting stomped early the best outfits you can get are either the Nora Protector (for melee) or Oseram whatever (for ranged) with their corresponding mods. Something the game doesn't tell you outright is that all attacks are either melee or ranged, even the elemental ones. Use resistance potions against machines with elemental attacks and prepare ahead of time with traps. A well-timed dodge followed by Aloy's heavy melee is usually enough to knock down anything up to a Ravager.

Melee seems to be what's kicking my rear end so I'll save up and upgrade earlier. I guess I could have sooner but I didn't realize that "sell for shards" and "trade to merchants" actually mean different things!

Is there a way to tell what machines care about what traps? I used the tripcaster on some of the fireball shooting dudes thinking I was clever but they just walked over it, so I smacked them upside the head instead.

quote:

Aloy is not a tanking shoot(wo)man. Hide in the tall grass, pick a shot. An arrow in the eye will kill a Watcher, and you need to get used to figuring out what actually damages each robot rather than trying to plink that healthbar. Grazers die if you blow the tanks off their back, Bellowbacks do not appreciate being set on fire when they're full of flammable liquid, etc, etc. Go buy some elemental weapons like the Hunter's Bow. And once you're out of the Sacred Valley, beeline for Meridian first before wandering off on your own. It's your major shopping and sidequest hub for the entire game.

Thanks, I'll head straight there; I've been bumbling around Mother's Cradle (? the second area) for a while instead.

e: I didn't realize we actually had a Horizon thread

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 13, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

I understand and acknowledge that your goal is to be as annoying as possible, but you still have to drop the "friend" thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Horizont would probably make a good LEGO setting. And that means a Telltale Game, and thats means LEGO Alloy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Treat the bow like a semi-auto weapon and crafting arrows as reloading, so you should be dumping. You do not need to hit full draw to do effective damage. IIRC full draw doesn't even give you a significant damage bonus, if any

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

You're making things up.

On the woman Aloy is based upon.

Saint Freak posted:

An actress apparently. Hannah Hoekstra, but it looks like all her stuff is in some kind of crazy moonspeak.

Tenacious J posted:

She looks like a hot, non-child version of Emma Watson.

Also this is one of the worst threads on SA right now you should all be ashamed.

bloodysabbath posted:

Haha what? On what planet is this woman not eminently fuckable?

Do not be afraid to take a few minutes away from GameFAQs to see the darkness within, my chum.

Wendell posted:

I understand and acknowledge that your goal is to be as annoying as possible, but you still have to drop the "friend" thing.

I prefer to respect other human beings on this forum, friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to tell what machines care about what traps? I used the tripcaster on some of the fireball shooting dudes thinking I was clever but they just walked over it, so I smacked them upside the head instead.

Some machines will just wise up to your attacks and start avoiding the tripwire, so eventually you have to get more creative with baiting them into traps. I didn't rely all that much on the tripcaster once I got past Daytower, in Carja territory the machines start to get a lot bigger and the ropecaster + tearblast become much more important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ah gotcha. That's pretty cool!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Melee seems to be what's kicking my rear end so I'll save up and upgrade earlier. I guess I could have sooner but I didn't realize that "sell for shards" and "trade to merchants" actually mean different things!

Thanks, I'll head straight there; I've been bumbling around Mother's Cradle (? the second area) for a while instead.

e: I didn't realize we actually had a Horizon thread

The Tripcaster is largely worthless. What you want are the Bola Launchers that toss elemental bombs or, better yet, the Hunter and Sharpshooter Bows (just save up and buy the Purple variants ASAP). You should also be using your Focus to scan every new robot you see. You have an entire encyclopedia at your disposal with entries about everything's weaknesses, right down to the individual components on larger Machines.

edit: The Ropecaster is most definitely your best friend for the entire game. Get the Purple one first before anything else, because it's the only thing that'll hold the nastier Machines.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want to go in the Horizon thread but I don't want to be spoiled on anything which is the reason I keep posting in here.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

I want to go in the Horizon thread but I don't want to be spoiled on anything which is the reason I keep posting in here.

I put off getting Prey because no matter where I went, there were tons of loving spoilers about the enemies, their placement and a bunch of scripted stuff. Wondering if it's even worth getting now. :v:

Think the only game I managed to get into completely unspoiled was Bloodborne. Still no idea how I managed that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can look up what elements a particular machine is weak or resistant to in two ways:

-Look them up in the robot list in the menus

-Activate your focus and aim at the highlighted parts (best done before they aggro)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The trip caster is more useful at pranking humans because unlike robots, humans never learn

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just finished the game last week, and I checked the Horizon thread a few times during my play through. They were a considerate bunch about spoilers!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I've never even seen it on the first page of the forum.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The trip caster is more useful at pranking humans because unlike robots, humans never learn

Finally, a realistic game. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Something I just noticed on NG+ is that the machines will evolve extra armor if you kill enough of them. Striders will get an extra plate around their fuel canister, Bellowbacks will get more shielding around their flame sac. Humans meanwhile will happily let themselves get no-scoped for the entirety of the game. A prescient and topical social commentary on the limits of human understanding.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They need to just remove human enemies in the next game or make them more interesting to fight

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://mobile.twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/885483985345757184

Ni No Kuni 2 delayed to Jan. 19, 2018. Can't say I'm not surprised.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
People who even discuss having sex with fictional characters are pretty hosed up. Dont get me wrong I love the female form and sex and I love videogames but why do people have to comine the 3? Do people honestly find that more arousing than pornhub? Are these people honestly more enticed by fictional avatars than real human women? Its all awfully strange.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macarius Wrench posted:

People who even discuss having sex with fictional characters are pretty hosed up. Dont get me wrong I love the female form and sex and I love videogames but why do people have to comine the 3? Do people honestly find that more arousing than pornhub? Are these people honestly more enticed by fictional avatars than real human women? Its all awfully strange.

Anyone who says something like a character is cute is just as gross see: Splatoon nerds, Persona nerds ER all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Overwatch porn is more popular than several leading categories of actual real porn.