Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

W.T. Fits posted:

If you were going to do a Warring Triad Ultimate, you could probably include a fight with Regula in there at some point.

You infinitely time loop until you save Regula’s life obviously.

Hogama posted:

Four Lords actually has the most resources ready for an Ultimate built on a trial story, since you have two dungeons and a solo duty alongside the usual three fights, PLUS there is, of course, Kohryu that we never actually fight.
Weapons has the three fights and a solo duty (perhaps even two if you take Estinien's earlier encounter with a prototype into play), and room for a new capstone fight.

Warring Triad has the least immediate stuff, but yeah, Regula and his Ceruleum Servant could fill in some of the blank fight space. Maybe the Minstrel could dream up a scenario where Regula acquires the power of the Triad for himself.

Weapons also has a the Diamond Weapon’s intended Zenos transformation that Valens had to give up on.

Regula becoming a Kefka figure would be interesting, given his relationship/connection with Varis. Honestly sounds better to me than the Kefka thing at this point. Maybe tie Varis Anima into it somehow?

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If there is a bunch of Garlean stuff I really just want to see it be Garlean Ultimate.

There is at least one mechanic involving tricking someone into shooting themselves in the head.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Allarion posted:

A part of me kinda wants to see Hildibrand show up in Elpis now. Though more likely it'll just be Sharlyan for him. Hildy pulling an unassuming Ancient into one of his ridiculous mysteries does have its appeal though.

Further Adventures of Hildetheon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

If there is a bunch of Garlean stuff I really just want to see it be Garlean Ultimate.

There is at least one mechanic involving tricking someone into shooting themselves in the head.

I remember Final Fantasy XII had a Trial where you fight all of the Judge Magisters at once and they fight like a Full Party. That could be a neat concept for a Garlean Ultimate.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember Final Fantasy XII had a Trial where you fight all of the Judge Magisters at once and they fight like a Full Party. That could be a neat concept for a Garlean Ultimate.

Hold on, let's see... we'll take Zenos and Varis out so they can be kept for their own thing.

Gaius
Rhytatyn
Livia
Nero
Regula
Grynewaht
Lyon
Menenius

And that's just relatively-uniformed prominent officers that we've actually fought, you've got a few flex spots like Aulus, Misija, and a few other members of the IVth Legion depending on the team comp you'd want. You probably can't get a full eight that actually looks like a full party, but it's viable.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 5, 2022

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
was talking with a friend right now and he made me realize the complete waste of potential Dragonsong Reprise Ultimate had by not having King Thordan and his Heavenswards duking it out with King Mog and his Moggleguard with their own Moggle version of Ultimate End.

worst. ultimate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

lezard_valeth posted:

was talking with a friend right now and he made me realize the complete waste of potential Dragonsong Reprise Ultimate had by not having King Thordan and his Heavenswards duking it out with King Mog and his Moggleguard with their own Moggle version of Ultimate End.

worst. ultimate.

They’re saving that for the ultimate Moogle tome event obviously.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The 6.1 page has him in Lakeland.
Hildy visiting a bunch of worlds and timelines before we manage to get him back home seems entirely possible though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If you think about it Endwalker is just Welcome to the Black Parade: The Expansion

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On one hand Hermes trying to make the evaluation of the Ancients fair is basically him making sure they get their fair showing rather than anything lopsided. It's what he's been taught to do after all.

Funnily enough they did not drill into him the importance of peer review. Or how unethical it is to evaluate sapient beings the way he did. Haha, whoops.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Argas posted:

On one hand Hermes trying to make the evaluation of the Ancients fair is basically him making sure they get their fair showing rather than anything lopsided. It's what he's been taught to do after all.

Funnily enough they did not drill into him the importance of peer review. Or how unethical it is to evaluate sapient beings the way he did. Haha, whoops.

He spends most of Elpis trying to dodge a peer review so I wanna say that ones on him and not their society at large

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No Dignity posted:

He spends most of Elpis trying to dodge a peer review so I wanna say that ones on him and not their society at large

This is why you do surprise inspections on your boss.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

No Dignity posted:

I feel like the fact everyone in Elpis is cool with Meletos is evidence that there's some organizational eyebrows to raise.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

No Dignity posted:

My understanding of academia is that trying to dodge a peer review is common practice

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The problem with Meiteon wasn't that he made her, it's that he made a bunch of her and sent them out into the wilderness before someone else could check in. Which is similar, but distinct, to peer review, I suppose.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think the actual best idea for a Warring Triad Ultimate is to follow up on Unukalhai's warnings that led us into the Triad in the first place: have Bismark and Ravana appear and absorb the Triad's power, maybe have some sort of three-way showdown between the party and the two of them supercharged by the Triad.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the fact everyone in Elpis is cool with Meletos is evidence that there's some organizational eyebrows to raise.

IIRC everyone thought Meteion was a one of a kind creation on its testing phases and the pet project from their boss so no one objected since they thoguht he was gonna submit her eventually.

Hermes did kind of hide the fact he made multiple Meteions and sent them already because he didn't want to risk Meteion getting rejected and deleted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

DanielCross posted:

I think the actual best idea for a Warring Triad Ultimate is to follow up on Unukalhai's warnings that led us into the Triad in the first place: have Bismark and Ravana appear and absorb the Triad's power, maybe have some sort of three-way showdown between the party and the two of them supercharged by the Triad.

Beetleborg riding a whale, both charged up and farting fire.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

IIRC everyone thought Meteion was a one of a kind creation on its testing phases and the pet project from their boss so no one objected since they thoguht he was gonna submit her eventually.

Hermes did kind of hide the fact he made multiple Meteions and sent them already because he didn't want to risk Meteion getting rejected and deleted.

Not Meteion, Meletos. The guy with the FATE chain that's all about getting us to indiscriminately murder animals For Reasons.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Meletos is the dude in the FATEs who keeps making horrifying flesh monsters on accident for you to face instead of a cyclops

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

DanielCross posted:

Just do all 5, enjoy the 5 way primal war in which you're killing each of them.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Not entirely surprising since he considers his own issues to be pretty foreign to the rest of the Ancients. Pretty normal for depression issues, honestly.

Honestly, for me, it's the moments with Kairos that cemented him as a villain. Most of his actions before then can be explained as simply not knowing the consequences very well; even with knowledge of the Final Days when he took Meteion away, he probably didn't actually know Meteion would become the Endsinger until she started glowing black. Actually asking those questions to the stars might have been foolish, but it's hard to imagine he thought them actively harmful to other people.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 5, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Since the Wandering Minstrel is full on fanfic now he should just do what every good fanfic author does and compare the power levels of all the good guys, giving us Scions of the Seventh Dawn Ultimate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AncientSpark posted:

Not entirely surprising since he considers his own issues to be pretty foreign to the rest of the Ancients. Pretty normal for depression issues, honestly.

Honestly, for me, it's the moments with Kairos that cemented him as a villain. Most of his actions before then can be explained as simply not knowing the consequences very well; even with knowledge of the Final Days when he took Meteion away, he probably didn't actually know Meteion would become the Endsinger until she started glowing black. Actually asking those questions to the stars might have been foolish, but it's hard to imagine he thought them actively harmful to other people.

yea pre-Kairos he was just a dude with depression who was self-isolating, he doesn't become a 'villain' until his bird daughter starts going goth and explaining how life is suffering and thus she'll bring the mercy of death to the stars and he goes 'oh? Go ooooon...' instead of 'aw beans my bird daughter broke, this sucks guys let's scrap her and try again'. There's nothing wrong with asking questions like 'what brings you purpose' and all, and his isolation was mainly depression and all, but it was when he actively chose to go along with 'yea maybe you should just end worlds' that he hosed up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

Since the Wandering Minstrel is full on fanfic now he should just do what every good fanfic author does and compare the power levels of all the good guys, giving us Scions of the Seventh Dawn Ultimate.

oh hell yes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Countblanc posted:

Okay, nevermind, this is my favorite idea for an Ultimate.

What's the puzzle for completion, though? Naturally it has to be relating to some small character detail. Do we somehow get to the finale by correctly articulating Thancred's relationship with Minfilia? Ooh, or maybe by the fact part of it is set far enough back that we're fighting actual Yda instead of Lyse, and there's a mechanic based on that difference?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Urianger actually tells you the entire fight mechanics from start to finish at the beginning but it's 1.0 Urianger where his affectation was way more insufferable and heavy and you've gotta remember it all

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Okay, nevermind, this is my favorite idea for an Ultimate.

What's the puzzle for completion, though? Naturally it has to be relating to some small character detail. Do we somehow get to the finale by correctly articulating Thancred's relationship with Minfilia? Ooh, or maybe by the fact part of it is set far enough back that we're fighting actual Yda instead of Lyse, and there's a mechanic based on that difference?

You have to upset each of the Scions individually without giving the others a reason to stop being upset. Beware the glamour mini-game where Ameliance wants help dressing the twins.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Urianger actually tells you the entire fight mechanics from start to finish at the beginning but it's 1.0 Urianger where his affectation was way more insufferable and heavy and you've gotta remember it all

so ucob nael pre-5.0

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

You have to upset each of the Scions individually without giving the others a reason to stop being upset.

I was trying my damndest with everyone I could with the 6.1 dialogue choices. Bullying them is so much fun.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Each Scion is a pairing and when you kill one half of the pair, the other enrages so you have to defeat both of them simultaneously

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea pre-Kairos he was just a dude with depression who was self-isolating, he doesn't become a 'villain' until his bird daughter starts going goth and explaining how life is suffering and thus she'll bring the mercy of death to the stars and he goes 'oh? Go ooooon...' instead of 'aw beans my bird daughter broke, this sucks guys let's scrap her and try again'. There's nothing wrong with asking questions like 'what brings you purpose' and all, and his isolation was mainly depression and all, but it was when he actively chose to go along with 'yea maybe you should just end worlds' that he hosed up.

"this sucks let's scrap her" is the very legitimate problem he has with how Elpis is set up. His motivation isn't to eradicate all life (at that point, later yes), but he thinks his people need an extreme challenge to upset their currently bad status quo w/r/t to death. It's why he stays behind and subjects himself to Kairos as well. Like Meteion throws their "it is beautiful, always" poo poo back in their faces before she bounces.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
you defeat y'shtola ultimate by figuring out how many candles to actually put on her birthday cake

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TGLT posted:

you defeat y'shtola ultimate by figuring out how many candles to actually put on her birthday cake

23 or she enrages and wipes the party

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I legit would love a total joke Ultimate that's still difficult and wipe-heavy, but based on some absolutely dumb scenario like the Scions getting wasted at the post-Shadowbringers party in the Crystarium and needing to forcefully wrangle them to bed while they fight back tooth and nail.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All 8 party members get put in RP duty bodies as different Scions (with their very limited powers) to fight the Warrior Lightwarden

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TGLT posted:

One big one.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

23 or she enrages and wipes the party

alt, 32 and she immediately dies of shame

FuturePastNow posted:

All 8 party members get put in RP duty bodies as different Scions (with their very limited powers) to fight the Warrior Lightwarden

This but the drunk thing. The warrior of light would be passed out/fishing and we'd be fighting Krile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it is important to note that it wasn't just random animals in Elpis. In the dungeon leading up to Hermes you see documentation of how they created intelligent tool using people and their primary thought is "but they can't speak our language so we'll just adjust that in the next revision." This is what evolved into the Ascian 'the sundered are okay to murder because they are flawed and imperfect' attitude.

Hermes, wrong as he was, was trying to subject his people to the exact same treatment they give other species. But key to his personality and what makes him tragic is that he *didn't* think that deserves destruction. He thinks flawed species deserve to live.

That is why Fandaniel isn't Hermes. Fandaniel is full on 'everything needs to end' while Hermes was 'even the flawed should survive'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

TGLT posted:

"this sucks let's scrap her" is the very legitimate problem he has with how Elpis is set up. His motivation isn't to eradicate all life (at that point, later yes), but he thinks his people need an extreme challenge to upset their currently bad status quo w/r/t to death. It's why he stays behind and subjects himself to Kairos as well. Like Meteion throws their "it is beautiful, always" poo poo back in their faces before she bounces.

Sure but like that's what you gotta do sometimes. That's Hermes' whole problem. As I have said before he wants the joy of teaching the sanuwa to fly and the company of Meteion and all the other soft wholesome moments of being a creator - he's clearly done it a lot, he has no moral problems with creation magic itself - and not the unwholesome duties that sometimes come with it. You saw it with the lykaones. All evidence, despite repeated testing, showed that they would not work out, would kill everything in their path and then starve themselves. He still has an existential panic attack and urges the dying creature to hate and curse the Ancients, because "we deserve it."

Hermes wants a bloody reckoning for society at large in his darkest moments even then.

Meteion suffering for eons alone in the dark to carry out his nihilistic vengeance upon Ancient society is not kinder to her, it's not doing his duty to her.

Particularly since the Ancients can literally reconstruct their soulless creations with the same aether (the same fundamental essence given that they believe they themselves are just the lifeblood of the world) and same core conceptual self. He's shirking from an unpleasant duty because of how it makes him, personally, feel like a murderer.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 5, 2022