Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

FYI this is exactly how nerds in High School talk about sports as they surgically remove their own underwear from up their rear end

looks at bust av, :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

That waltzing post is so bad but I definitely recognised my TLOU posting in it and I instantly regret almost everything i said about that game lol

I'm all ready to play factions just wondering if I should pull the trigger on the pulse headset cuz if you remember the controller mic isnt that great and need to be heard!

drat that's a truly impressive power Waltzing Along has.

If only he'd use it for good and not evil. Though I guess this time some good has come from it...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

veni veni veni posted:

Well you can't say the dude didn't try, but that's probably the first time I have seen someone actually play through the game and not like it..

I almost qualify for this. I finished the game and in the end liked some aspects of it, but just shrug whenever someone asks me my opinion. Like, moment to moment I kinda liked it but looking back after I finished it I just felt so little drive to continue, I just found myself thinking more often about the bad elements far more often than the good.

I really did like the blood effects, minor as those were - having every part of you covered in blood, then removing your hat and face bandana, revealing clean skin underneath but still a band of blood covering your eyes/nose was a great visual effect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Ironic, because I'm sorry for all the people who like wandering around a world of blood and death and grossness. I mean, what makes someone enjoy that? It's really strange. Not an insult, but if you take a step back from your love of BB and actually look at the thing you love so much you might see my point.

bloodborne is the most heartfelt and sentimental story from software has ever written

this is not a joke, nor is it really up for debate

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'd say it's their most interesting story, yeah. the emotional beats are very on point and the overall tragedy of the story is extremely compelling

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHQEQnrpX8

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

bloodborne is the most heartfelt and sentimental story from software has ever written

this is not a joke, nor is it really up for debate

Sekiro actually has human being emoting at one another with real lines, Bloodborne just has Eileen or Queenslayer just kind of screaming or wheezing at you. I love Bloodborne with all my heart and all my balls but this feels like a bit of a reach, specifically because of Sekiro. I won't argue that Bloodborne isn't worlds more emotional than the Dark Souls Trilogy, Gherman sees to that all by himself

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bloodborne has the best setting and backstory while Sekiro has the best characters and narrative imo (though BB's narrative is also great)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Sekiro actually has human being emoting at one another with real lines, Bloodborne just has Eileen or Queenslayer just kind of screaming or wheezing at you. I love Bloodborne with all my heart and all my balls but this feels like a bit of a reach, specifically because of Sekiro. I won't argue that Bloodborne isn't worlds more emotional than the Dark Souls Trilogy, Gherman sees to that all by himself

The stakes in bloodborne just seem so much higher, the people sadder and more downtrodden, and it all seems to be happening right in front of you despite the fact that it's all been happening for so long, the corruption, the murder, the institutionalization, the hunt. So much of the music is a lamentation of this original sin that nobody will talk along with its consequences and reprisals...that you keep uncovering more about, piece by piece, dream by dream. I think BB has a remarkable emotional depth and pathos that FROM has yet to really capture as well again, whether it has cutscenes or not

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

I was using the pulse headset, I could hear everyone perfectly and people seemed to be able to hear me and laugh at my hilarious jokes just fine!!!!!

What does the headset magically make you funnier as well????

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Pulse headset is great imo, just be gentle with it

Why gentle, is it fragile? :ohdear:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ghost of Tsushima indeed has excellent combat and beautiful graphics. But it’s painfully obvious that it was written by Americans. It’s a fortune cookie version of Japan.

Time to write a haiku!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bust Rodd posted:

The whole concept of the Orphan of Kos is a heartbreaking punchline to literally everything else built up in the rest of the base game and DLC. Sekiro is awesome but it definitely doesn’t hit that vein nearly as hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen the light and I'm going to stop making GBS threads on popular and well liked games such as Skyrim and AssCreed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Skyrim and I am happy to poo poo on it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sekiro is so badass dude.

travelling back in time to kill your rear end in a top hat dad, travelling to heaven to shoot lightning at a dragon, making genichiro eat dirt

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am sad Waltzing did not like Bloodborne. I am not sure how to connect with your feelings as they are so divergent to my own.

You played through nearly all of it though, so you gave it a fair chance and that is the most important.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Why gentle, is it fragile? :ohdear:

Compared to some headsets on the market? Sure. It's about the same build quality as a DualSense, relatively speaking. If you can imagine a DualSense breaking in some way upon being dropped then you get the idea.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It was nice to see Miyazaki finally realise that Dark Souls 2 is the best and copied time travel into his own game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I loved the combat so much in DS3 (more than DS1 and DS2) but every now and then I start remembering the fun I had with DS2 and I keep thinking that I might think it is the best DS.

I know.

I thought I had my tier list, but DS2 keeps popping up and grinning at me and I remember how high the highs were and I think, yeah. That was one of the best games ever.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I loved the combat so much in DS3 (more than DS1 and DS2) but every now and then I start remembering the fun I had with DS2 and I keep thinking that I might think it is the best DS.

I know.

I thought I had my tier list, but DS2 keeps popping up and grinning at me and I remember how high the highs were and I think, yeah. That was one of the best games ever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I know! But I can remember the play sessions with much more clarity when I think of it. The dark lurker battle and win, TheCoolSmelt invading me over and over and the shield battle, the joy in defeating burnt ivory king first time, learning about Adaptibility and besting Aava, Iron Keep being amazing and at the top of a windmill which is so brilliant, the explodey guys scaring me, the pursuer fights, the music and majula, the room with the sentries and the secret drop, Lucatiel and her wonderful storyline, the cheeky invaders, Alonne, Fume Knight, Aldia's Keep, Tower of Heide, the covenants and the goblins, things betwixt...

Man. Oh man. I think I do love it the most. I think I might.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Akuma posted:

It was nice to see Miyazaki finally realise that Dark Souls 2 is the best and copied time travel into his own game.

All the souls games have time travel though. DLC in DS1 is in the past. The memories in DS2. The dark firelink shrine in DS3, oh and the DLC. And the DLC in BB sends you backwards in time as well.
But the memories part of DS2 were dope. That should have been an expanded upon mechanic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

All the souls games have time travel though. DLC in DS1 is in the past. The memories in DS2. The dark firelink shrine in DS3, oh and the DLC. And the DLC in BB sends you backwards in time as well.
But the memories part of DS2 were dope. That should have been an expanded upon mechanic.
Oh poo poo you're absolutely right, DS2 is absolutely doing the same thing DS1 already did. I wonder why the DS2 stuff stands out more in my mind? Probably because it lacks all the subtlety of the other games with it lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Souls 2 is so much better than the other games that Future dedicated an entire album to it

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Akuma posted:

Oh poo poo you're absolutely right, DS2 is absolutely doing the same thing DS1 already did. I wonder why the DS2 stuff stands out more in my mind? Probably because it lacks all the subtlety of the other games with it lmao

Probably. In DS1 you just warp to someplace and after a while realise «is this the past?»
DS2 very explicitly tells you you are traveling into dead guys’ memories and YOU CANT STAY FOR LONG!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 2 is really good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 has the best voice acting imo

Pate, Bearer Seek Seek Lest, the blacksmith, the cat, lucatiel, the ladder guy, Nashandra, all great

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Finally catching up to Vendrick was a master stroke, it took a few seconds to sink in then "Oh, poo poo!" with the most perfect music. One of the very rare cases of music not in a hub or boss.

A lot of the music in DS2 is very janky, feels very low budget, but it has a lot of heart. That maybe sums up the whole game now that I think of it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I started DS3 for the first time last week. It just rules. I’ve kind of been ignoring the whole FP system, but I don’t think that’s slowing me down too much. Just got hit by some sort of cruise missile in the Smouldering Lake.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think it is the best trilogy of set games of all time. Hands down. DS1-DS3 is a magical and wonderful ride and there is so much to love in all three games. Cannot think of a better defined trilogy.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Akuma posted:

Finally catching up to Vendrick was a master stroke, it took a few seconds to sink in then "Oh, poo poo!" with the most perfect music. One of the very rare cases of music not in a hub or boss.

A lot of the music in DS2 is very janky, feels very low budget, but it has a lot of heart. That maybe sums up the whole game now that I think of it.

Yeah, that poo poo was the best. I love the atmosphere of utter hopelessness in DS2.
Chasing Vendrick the entire game only to find him shambling around naked, a vacant corpse, is such a good moment. The most powerful man in the history of Drangleic, even he eventually got consumed by the curse. Even after all he did to try and break it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

big kusa

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

God of War and Sushi Ghost are #1 and #2 PS4 games. BB isn't even in the running.

:staredog::kstare:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Waltzing Along posted:

I live in California so it's pretty much Yarnham without Cthulu.

i posted this last year, but yeah northern california looked Londor

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The stories of Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro are indistinguishable beyond the quantity of centipedes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I had best play it then!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i'm sorry vg but ghost of tsushima's story isn't at all comparable to sekiro, which is far more interesting in every aspect of it's story/lore/setting (and despite both games being set around the same time period in Japan, and both having themes of generational/traditional conflicts amongst families in times of war, but other than that it's not even really comparable (but ghost of tsushima was fun, and i completed the story mostly because I enjoyed the combat, and even though I much prefer sekiro's combat, GoT's combat is unique and enjoyable)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imhotep posted:

i'm sorry vg but ghost of tsushima's story isn't at all comparable to sekiro, which is far more interesting in every aspect of it's story/lore/setting (and despite both games being set around the same time period in Japan, and both having themes of generational/traditional conflicts amongst families in times of war, but other than that it's not even really comparable)

Sekiro takes place a few hundred years after GoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sekiro takes place a few hundred years after GoT

I know, I was being generous in saying they're similar in those ways, trying not to be too dismissive of this take.

grassy gnoll posted:

The stories of Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro are indistinguishable beyond the quantity of centipedes.