Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The ones they sell with the yellow plastic twist handles are super garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Anyone know of some good and affordable hose clamps? I'd totally be down with an assortment kit if there's a decent one.

Last couple times I was at the local ACE hardware store they had actual buckets of them near the checkout line for 50c or whatever. Dunno if it was a regional overstock thing etc, but they were a lot cheaper than the ones you see on a pegboard or in little labeled drawers.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I really like the double-wire style like this, except for the smaller range of adjustability than worm style ones.

Someone tell me why I’m wrong and they actually suck, though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's the application? I just replaced a bunch of lovely worm gears with nicer clamps because I hate how they pinch hoses. They also look nicer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I generally use the home Depot stainless ones, honestly. They're 100% stainless so they don't turn into a crusty mess, nice and wide so they grip well, the heads are 5/16 so my regular 8mm hose clamp nutdriver works, they have a flat blade slot for user frustration purposes as well.

A friend of mine has been trying to get me to switch to Breeze Liner stainless hose clamps but the price is significantly higher (they are nice though) and I can't get them locally, which kills my chances of adopting them since I rarely plan the repairs that need hose clamps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Having a stack of random hose clamps is key to automotive success. I save every working one and if I need to buy one I will buy three.

I ought to make a dowel board to store them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

gently caress hose clamps

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That clamptite tool looks cool but I'm afraid I'd forget it and not have it or any hose clamps along when doing an emergency repair.

StormDrain posted:

Having a stack of random hose clamps is key to automotive success. I save every working one and if I need to buy one I will buy three.

I ought to make a dowel board to store them.

Same, I buy the ten-pack bags at home depot as my minimum purchase quantity. Any leftovers go into shop stock.

Those coat hanger contraption hose clamps posted above are great until they get slightly rusty, then they love to twist and mangle instead of loosening or tightening and suddenly you don't have a hose clamp. They come off the first time I touch them for this reason.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

That clamptite tool looks cool but I'm afraid I'd forget it and not have it or any hose clamps along when doing an emergency repair.
Totally get it, though I went the opposite direction - I keep that and a roll of safety wire in the jeep. It's been a good hero tool a couple times when people thought they were stuck because they didn't have a hose clamp. I've heard stories of limping broken suspension out with it, too, but haven't seen them personally.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I bought one of these from their booth at SEMA in like 2013 and have yet to use it :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Totally get it, though I went the opposite direction - I keep that and a roll of safety wire in the jeep. It's been a good hero tool a couple times when people thought they were stuck because they didn't have a hose clamp. I've heard stories of limping broken suspension out with it, too, but haven't seen them personally.

My bad luck, superhuman ability to self sabotage, and complete lack of short term memory or planning ability are the real issue here :v:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I bought one of these from their booth at SEMA in like 2013 and have yet to use it :v:

I bought one from a PRI booth about 5 years ago and haven't used it either.

Absolute hell of a pitch though. It definitely always gets tossed into the repairs may be needed bag.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

I bought one from a PRI booth about 5 years ago and haven't used it either.

Absolute hell of a pitch though. It definitely always gets tossed into the repairs may be needed bag.

I'm absolutely sure if I needed to use it I wouldn't remember how to do it. I hope I have access to YouTube if I did

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I love tools like this that I actually pick up 5 years later and go "wait, this thing is actually useful!?" It makes me feel better about my poor life choices in excessive tool buying.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Commodore_64 posted:

It makes me feel better about my poor life choices in excessive tool buying.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I switched to ear clamps for important hoses after reading about their advantages. They are one time use so not great for anything you need to adjust, but they are smooth and won't damage tubing, hold better than screw clamps, are lighter weight, and are inexpensive especially compared to screw clamps with a smooth liner. The crimp tool is simple and cheap.

Some downsides include: less ID change so you need more sizes to cover a range and it can be annoying to cut the ear sometimes. I saw a video where they used pneumatic shears and it looked so easy, one day I'll get one of those.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's gotta be fun to remember to put it on before you reconnect the hose :v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like spring clamps. There I said it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

I switched to ear clamps for important hoses after reading about their advantages. They are one time use so not great for anything you need to adjust, but they are smooth and won't damage tubing, hold better than screw clamps, are lighter weight, and are inexpensive especially compared to screw clamps with a smooth liner. The crimp tool is simple and cheap.

Some downsides include: less ID change so you need more sizes to cover a range and it can be annoying to cut the ear sometimes. I saw a video where they used pneumatic shears and it looked so easy, one day I'll get one of those.

I bought the grimper and a couple boxes of a variety of sizes of these. They're pretty great, and in vehicle applications you'll find them a lot on german cars in places where worm clamps simply don't fit properly. (and in lots of other places). I like them a lot, but it's not my go-to for "things that are likely to need to com back off in the next year or so"

um excuse me posted:

Spring clamps are totally fine if you have a spring clamp tool with the flexible cable on it. It's life changing. I think Kastein posted it a few years back here or somewhere and I immediately bought it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

um excuse me posted:

Heresy!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

um excuse me posted:

Who hurt you? Those inspire zero confidence with me. And I often think I can squeeze them with my fingers "just this one time" and I should not do that, nothing but pain, frustration, and in the worst outcome, accidentally rotating it where I can't get at it again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you ever get your hands on a new OEM hose with spring clamps glued on, you will understand. Put the hose in place and give each clamp a light prod with a screwdriver so it unlocks and you're instantly done.

With the tool that Motronic mentioned, the only real problem after that point is when they lose tension there's not much you can do about it. I've had enough bad luck reusing them that I replace them nearly every time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I have that tool and it kicks rear end. I like them enough that I got a big handful of the sizes I needed for the Honcho at the junkyard. Guy looked at me like I was some kind of monster when I tried to pay and just told me to leave :v:

Edit: these are the exact ones I bought. You can find no name brands for half this price if you want. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F5JM0O

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 11, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Big Taint posted:

I have a Ryobi cordless drill that was gifted to me, I think it has a charger, I’ll have to check the battery, may not be good because it’s been sitting for a while. You can have it for the cost of shipping. PM me if you want it.

I appreciate the offer but I already bought the Black and Decker drill I mentioned in my post.

It'll get the job done for the "'round the apartment" tasks I'll be asking of it.

This thing really spits sparks like crazy though. Nothing that makes it outside of the plastic enclosure but still I've never seen one this bad before.

They really don't make stuff like they used to :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are also these clamps like you'd find on on cv joint boots for example:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I use the ABA and Breeze clamps from West Marine because they are good stainless and I have a wholesale account there. For anything remotely important I try to only use ABA clamps because they are embossed rather than perforated, too many broken clamps over the years for me to gently caress around saving $2 any more.

I think a lot of the issues people have with normal worm clamps is trying to use the big-body ones on small (1/2” or less) hoses. They can’t reliably clamp that small, the mechanism causes them to oval and never seal right. There are smaller-bodied ones for little hoses. I always try to have a few in the tool bag.

I also like spring clamps.

I also have a Clamptite tool that I used once right when I bought it, then has been in a drawer ever since.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah I have that tool and it kicks rear end. I like them enough that I got a big handful of the sizes I needed for the Honcho at the junkyard. Guy looked at me like I was some kind of monster when I tried to pay and just told me to leave :v:

Edit: these are the exact ones I bought. You can find no name brands for half this price if you want. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F5JM0O

Oh hey yeah, those are the ones you posted before because amazon says I've bought them. I couldn't come up with the right search terms in my order history.

They were seriously seriously amazing for dealing with replacing all of the heater and coolant hoses on my daughter's suby. And have gotten used before and since just because it makes things so easy. I'm done with stupidly long and variously bent needle nose trying to make those things work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, I have that pair and they are nice. Wish the handles were a tad longer for leverage because at full open you need to have a helluva grip. Also wish the notch count was just a little higher as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would have paid twice as much for those pliers had I known they existed when I was messing with coolant leak issues on my wife's old GS430, I had so many irritating moments with those stupid spring clamps

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you ever get your hands on a new OEM hose with spring clamps glued on, you will understand. Put the hose in place and give each clamp a light prod with a screwdriver so it unlocks and you're instantly done.

With the tool that Motronic mentioned, the only real problem after that point is when they lose tension there's not much you can do about it. I've had enough bad luck reusing them that I replace them nearly every time.

I love locking spring clamps, but every so often, a locked open clamp will trigger on me and slap my soft, delicate fingers and remind on of my hubris. It huuuuurts.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Frank Dillinger posted:

I love locking spring clamps, but every so often, a locked open clamp will trigger on me and slap my soft, delicate fingers and remind on of my hubris. It huuuuurts.

This just sounds like a reminder to never put your fingers where you wouldn’t put your pecker to be honest.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah I forgot to mention the application but I appreciate the suggestions. Mostly just normal radiator hose type stuff. I'll have to cruise Home Depot or Ace for some next time I'm there. I had some from NAPA that were very strong and nice, but had sharp edges and the typical screw clamp holes that would definitely gently caress some hose up. The ones BMW use have nice rolled edges and grooves instead of holes but also cost an arm and a leg. I did buy a big assortment pack of HF hose clamps once and when the first one stripped before it even touched the hose all the way around I just threw the whole thing in the garbage.

I'm totally down with spring clamps as long as I can find them in the right sizes. Ear clamps seem great, but I don't like that they're single-use and can be a bastard to remove sometimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm absolutely sure if I needed to use it I wouldn't remember how to do it. I hope I have access to YouTube if I did

Put a PDF manual on your phone.

Not bulletproof, but better than hoping you can get a video to stream where you break down.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Worm gear hose clamps are terrible at being hose clamps, but excellent at being extremely beefy zip ties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conversely, I’m not a big fan of steel zip ties.

Yeah they saved my bacon a couple of times, but I’ve found they can loosen under repeated load cycles. Maybe the ladder-style ties are better, but those fuckers cost like a buck a piece. So hose clamps it is.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hypnolobster posted:

Worm gear hose clamps are terrible at being hose clamps, but excellent at being extremely beefy zip ties.

Cop: All right pal, you're taking a cruise with us to lockup *starts turning something behind robber's back*

Robber: What are you doing?

Cop: Shut up *starts turning it faster*

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

therobit posted:

This just sounds like a reminder to never put your fingers where you wouldn’t put your pecker to be honest.

Well, until I can reposition clamps with my Johnson and not get fired/on a sex offender list (I work on the other side of the glass in a service bay) it’s gonna have to be fingies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“I think you guys would be interested to know Snap-on rented out the Magic Kingdom for themselves today”

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

At least someone is having fun with our money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hey tool goons, I’m in the planning stages of running a compressed air hardline for one of those nifty air line spools. I’m planning on connecting that, and having a second QD for a regular hose, in case I need that (I already have a regular hose,) but is there anything else I should be looking at doing? Is a drier worth it? Should I put in a condensate drain? Am I an idiot?