Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

calandryll posted:

Wouldn't be beer league if you also didn't slam your stick into the boards as well.

Only if the boards hit your girlfriend first, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Maaaaaaaan we almost, ALMOST finally beat the #1 #2 team in our division who had pretty much beat up on us all season. So drat close until, late in the 3rd, yours truly did a bad bad pinch that led to a 3-on-1. The pinch was so bad there were :siren:'s going off in my head after the first step forward and that little voice screaming "what are you doing WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?" gah.

Ahh well, it's still the best we've played those guys yet this season so hey: Moral Victory. :negative:

ed: oh, I guess they ended up getting the 2nd seed at the end, not 1st.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sometimes you pinch and score a goal. Sometimes you pinch and lead to hilarious breakaways. Such is hockey.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

V for Vegans posted:

Is it legal to have teammates launch a player with bungee cords to get a massive break away?

There's no rule that says you can't. Go for it.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Second game last night. Was really close the entire way through*.

I got my first goal, which was also really integral to us winning, after hauling rear end to have an icing call waved off. Goalie came out of the crease and played it to the corner, I picked it up and took a side angle shot which went in behind the goalie.

Final score 13-2

To re-cap we have lost 9-2 and we have won 13-2... so unless this is normal the league has varying degrees of talent.

*this is a lie, it was a blow-out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the youth hockey done for the summer, rink is suddenly a lot nicer place to be and the ice times don't suck either. Best time of year for hockey I think.

At least until the heat shows up and humidity turns the place foggy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Taught my little sister how to skate over the weekend, figured she'd want to do speed or figure skating.

Turns out she saw some hockey being played and wants get get involved. I'm so proud. She's usually quite the girly girl so I never saw a contact sport coming. Gonna buy her some decent skates if she sticks with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife brought a camera to the game, how do I look?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

2/10 - missing mullet and tinted visor.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dogstile posted:

Taught my little sister how to skate over the weekend, figured she'd want to do speed or figure skating.

Turns out she saw some hockey being played and wants get get involved. I'm so proud. She's usually quite the girly girl so I never saw a contact sport coming. Gonna buy her some decent skates if she sticks with it.

Most programs do Girls Try Hockey a couple times a year which is a free event where all gear is provided and they get an hour on the ice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our captain and goalie both announced their...retirements yesterday. Goalie played in college and in the WHA and is a couple of weeks from his 70th birthday...he's been way over his head skill-wise for a couple of years now but we didn't ever have the heart to ask him to play elsewhere so we've just put up with the .600 save percentage. Our captain is like...59 or so and was by far the worst player in our league so...that's also good, I guess.

Also like 3 other guys decided they can no longer skate in our current division so there was like 3 of us left in the locker room kind of looking around awkwardly wondering where we'll play next year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hook up with some bottom tier team that's super mad about losing all their games and are looking to bring in a ringer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

move to Los Angeles

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Move to Columbia, MO

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Our captain and goalie both announced their...retirements yesterday. Goalie played in college and in the WHA and is a couple of weeks from his 70th birthday...he's been way over his head skill-wise for a couple of years now but we didn't ever have the heart to ask him to play elsewhere so we've just put up with the .600 save percentage. Our captain is like...59 or so and was by far the worst player in our league so...that's also good, I guess.

Also like 3 other guys decided they can no longer skate in our current division so there was like 3 of us left in the locker room kind of looking around awkwardly wondering where we'll play next year.

Can he still butterfly without breaking a hip? That's pretty impressive, I plan on playing till 70 if possible. Only 30 some odd more years!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

Move to Columbia, MO

I TOTALLY WOULD DO THIS

And our goalie wasn't really the "butterfly" type insomuch as he was the "stand there and hope for the best" type. Although he said his balky knee and inability to push off anymore were the impetus for his finally hanging it up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRf-gCCxfRI

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah, I refuse to spend more than $70 on sticks. I just broke a stick last week that I've used for like 3 years, so now I'm on the look out for a Int Bauer P88 right handed stick for under $70.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bewbies posted:

I TOTALLY WOULD DO THIS

And our goalie wasn't really the "butterfly" type insomuch as he was the "stand there and hope for the best" type. Although he said his balky knee and inability to push off anymore were the impetus for his finally hanging it up.

That's funny, my goaltending style is "scream loudly at the shooter to try and throw them off their game". Also I flop a lot. It works sometimes.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So the "goalie drought" in Austin took another weird turn.

I get an email asking for a 7:15 goalie sub in the league above me, but alas I've promised to sub in a 6:30 game at the Pond. Not expecting much, I send back "If no one else takes it, and while I can't promise to be there at puck drop, I'll beat feet to the rink and fill in." I check in about 5 to see if anything happened, and it turns out that in fact no one else has taken the goalie sub spot, and I'm the only hope.

I play my 6:30 game and after the end game whistle, about 7:20, I wave at everyone on the ice shouting good game, and immediately jump off to my pre-positioned bag by the doors and strip off the bare minimum. I'm driving with my thigh guards, cup, goalie pants, and collar guard to the 7:15 game. When I get there, the second period has already started, and the team in need still has no goalie and is miraculously only down 0-1, so I'm busting rear end getting redressed. All ready, I hop on.

I proceed to somehow not suck and shutdown the other team, and my sub team ties it up late in the third. Shootout time. I somehow manage to make the luckiest, stupidest, most fantastic flopping glove save ever against one of my secret gay hockey lovers. I wish I had a camera recording or a photo, it was utterly stupid sick. We win the shootout. I go to the other locker room and tell my secret gay hockey lover that I will never ever make that save against him again. Feels good.

It turns out the next goalie, who was going to play against Bradf0rd (who could not sub due to tiny parasite problems) in the game after us, was there the whole time, but declined to play because of something along the lines of "I don't like to play a game before MY game".

wtf

Goalies, man...

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 11, 2016

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So I'm in a stinky socks league where we play the same team every Sunday night, and they all joined as a group so and are mostly beginners so we've been winning every game. Last night we discovered the other team not only has a name, but a YouTube channel where they post player interviews and even recordings of some of our games. (Pro tip, never watch a video of yourself playing d league hockey, it's just disappointing and sad) Now we've been inspired to come up with a team name so that each game isn't just Thunder Demons vs team 2.

The games have been wicked fun though. The other team brings a large crowd of parents and girlfriends to the games so there's actual cheering when stuff happens, which I wasn't expecting going in but it really makes games much more enjoyable.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You should be the Dunder Themons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was thinking Thunder Thighs but maybe that's not appropriate if it's a family environment.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
the last 2 games have each had an instance of a different forward getting tripped and sliding nut first into a prone opposing goalie's helmet resulting in a timeout. it was funny/sad the first time because the goalie appeared to get some kind of neck strain out of it, the second time was just bizarre because the player that got tripped was out the previous game and the exact same play went down only without any injury. we started a pool on defense to see if/when it happens for a 3rd game in a row on thursday.

aaand before I could hit submit, we just got our 7pm game time moved back to 8:30, so we'll all miss wild/stars game1. worst league ever.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Summer Coed league started up again over the weekend with my team taking a 6-1 loss. Our brand new goalie was late getting in, so I anchored down the goal during warmups... and got nailed by two shots in the exact same spot on the back of my knee within twenty seconds of each other.

The new goalie is actually new to playing goal. She hasn't quite figured out positioning or a lot of the basics yet. This is a pretty good league to do that in though, as we're not super competitive. It is a bit slower than D2 was, but far less douchey.

Oh, yeah. I may or may not have mentioned this here (I know xzzy saw what I'm talking about in person), but when the league started up last year they had to put together a draft team to fill out the fourth team. That team didn't get custom jerseys, so they were at the mercy of whatever the rink provided. They were also trying to figure out a team name, and at best had some good jokes.

They ended up with bright pink generic jerseys... and chose the name Glitter Ponies. Because it's obviously manly.

They're back for this year, and they almost went full ham:

We started giving them poo poo about the jerseys when we found out they all could have paid an extra five dollars each and ACTUALLY HAD THE PONY GLITTER. That would have been a completely acceptable use of $5. Come on.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I see the penis.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do approve of their embracing the pink though. I'm surprised they got everyone to buy in to it.

I meant to to get into that league this summer.. but I procrastinated and it didn't happen. Kinda regretting it now because I really want two games a week.

Bootcha posted:

I see the penis.

Yeah, they hid it well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My new Silver A team is getting their new jerseys this week. Completely paid for by one of the dude's companies looking for a last-minute tax deduction. It's like Christmas is a couple days away. :allears:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Between seasons right now so I am currently washing all the luck out of my pads.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Hot pink jerseys rule. The brony logo is the icing on the cake.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I hate brony poo poo with every fiber of my being but even I have to admit that's pretty funny.

(oh also we lost our final playoff game in overtime last night because I fell down on a pivot when I caught an edge on the motherfucking garbage poo poo hole trash rear end Highland ice and it led to the other team's best player having a breakaway cause who the hell knows where my D partner was during all of that god damnit I hate highland ice)

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

V for Vegans posted:

So I'm in a stinky socks league where we play the same team every Sunday night, and they all joined as a group so and are mostly beginners so we've been winning every game. Last night we discovered the other team not only has a name, but a YouTube channel where they post player interviews and even recordings of some of our games. (Pro tip, never watch a video of yourself playing d league hockey, it's just disappointing and sad) Now we've been inspired to come up with a team name so that each game isn't just Thunder Demons vs team 2.

The games have been wicked fun though. The other team brings a large crowd of parents and girlfriends to the games so there's actual cheering when stuff happens, which I wasn't expecting going in but it really makes games much more enjoyable.

Oh man. This is amazing. Post the youtube. I want to see just how poorly I skate.

Also I gotta try and get a slot again sometime soon -- it's always sold out now sadly.

e: found it (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95hTgLpo5W60NBDefRlCEQ), and of course the first game I open up has me in it. Uuuuuuuuuu.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 12, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I still haven't been to highland yet despite it being only 5 minutes from my house. Everything I hear about it sounds like its somewhere between skating in a horse barn and a rink from mutant league hockey.

In other news I have a few days off so I'm going to try and hit up all those weekday lunch skates I'm never able to get to. The last time I did sticks and pucks in Kent I had the rink to myself.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That 11:45a-1:30pm session?

Renton also does a 6am - 6:10pm (no that's not a typo) stick n puck every day / every other day that I go to regularly as well.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

I do approve of their embracing the pink though. I'm surprised they got everyone to buy in to it.

I meant to to get into that league this summer.. but I procrastinated and it didn't happen. Kinda regretting it now because I really want two games a week.

Yeah, they hid it well.

Growlers may have need of a player or two. They were kinda short while they were beating our brains in. Try to get a hold of Monica S.

Doesn't hurt that their goalie is Mandi from the highest division Rampage team. I've seen her frustrate B level players.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Someone came up to me after my game yesterday and apologized for running me into the boards it was the weirdest thing ever

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Duke Chin posted:

That 11:45a-1:30pm session?

Renton also does a 6am - 6:10pm (no that's not a typo) stick n puck every day / every other day that I go to regularly as well.

Yeah probably (kent valley 1145 -130). I have a game at 9pm tomorrow but I would like to get out and do stick and puck earlier in the day. I looked at renton and saw the 6am session and a 2pmish session. 6am is brutal.

I'm out of town starting Thursday so tomorrow is what I'm aiming for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've played 6:30 am hockey every Sunday the past couple months. Getting up for that hurts but once you loosen up on the ice it's pretty drat good. Feels good for the rest of the day too.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Wonder_Bread posted:

Oh man. This is amazing. Post the youtube. I want to see just how poorly I skate.

Also I gotta try and get a slot again sometime soon -- it's always sold out now sadly.

e: found it (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95hTgLpo5W60NBDefRlCEQ), and of course the first game I open up has me in it. Uuuuuuuuuu.

We had some slots last week that were filled with a couple b leaguers who would just take the puck from our zone back to their zone and just seemed very uninterested the whole game, but they were brought in last minute but maybe some people just didn't show up. The ref didn't even have a real roster sheet, he just wrote down our jersey numbers on a piece of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Yeah probably (kent valley 1145 -130). I have a game at 9pm tomorrow but I would like to get out and do stick and puck earlier in the day. I looked at renton and saw the 6am session and a 2pmish session. 6am is brutal.

I'm out of town starting Thursday so tomorrow is what I'm aiming for.
I was just mostly pointing out that at any point between 6a-615p you can go grab some ice time there. I've actually got a game there at 7:50p tomorrow night so I'm probably gonna skip stick n puck this week until MAYBE... just maybe... the Sunday 6pm stick n puck on the Hockey Prison ice at Highland. I would go during the week (I usually do) but between 3-on-3 hockey tomorrow night and my work load this week I'm pretty much screwed for time.
:negative:

xzzy posted:

I've played 6:30 am hockey every Sunday the past couple months. Getting up for that hurts but once you loosen up on the ice it's pretty drat good. Feels good for the rest of the day too.

I pretty much never ever wake up before like 11am because... why? Especially not for stick n puck.