Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Put a filter on incoming mail and install adblock and you take care of like 95% of infection vectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I'm in incident response and it's cool how within the timespan of say a year most IT shops went from "HOLY poo poo ALL OUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED WHAT HAPPENED WHAT DO WE DOOOO?" to "yeah just another cryptoware 's all good".

That's doesn't mean I'm still scared as hell about getting hit with that crap. :ohdear:

Yes, backups are fine, but still.. :ohdear:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

An email attachment filter is one of the best first lines of defense against viruses nowadays.

This %100. Is there anyone out there that actually still allows inbound .zip or .exe attachments? It's easier and more manageable to block all of them and then make an exception for the special snowflake in marketing who gets zip files of photos for some reason.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Mo_Steel posted:

Executable renamed as a zip (e.g. resume.zip.exe), or something else going on?

It was a zip file that contained an html file that opened a page with a fake virus infection screen and prompted you to "click here" to clean the infection, the executable that downloaded from that was crypto.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH IT HAPPENED

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

It was a zip file that contained an html file that opened a page with a fake virus infection screen and prompted you to "click here" to clean the infection, the executable that downloaded from that was crypto.

That's almost beautiful in it's own hosed up way. In the perennial "Web page printed out scanned and saved as a jpg inside a word document and emailed" kind of way.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

This is my personal hell today. 3 machines at different clients. I suspect Malware but our scanners haven't found anything yet.

Anyone seen this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got an email asking me if I could "expedite" the ticket called in "this morning."

Sure, that sounds reasonable. Until you find out that I got that email at 12:08, for a ticket that I found out existed at 12:00, which was entered into the ticketing system at 11:59:33. I will grant you that that is technically still "this morning." And yet.

Everyone else on my team is on vacation, which makes me the primary support right now for well over a thousand users at multiple sites in the region. gently caress off with your ten minute old ticket.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Ugh, two things today.

1) Never tell people a part "should be coming in today" because since 8:01AM I have had every single person from the affected department (and the GM) come by TWICE to ask me when the thing will be working again. I have to explain the whole process to them each time.

2) I never should have demonstrated my malware detecting abilities to the GM. Now he's just forwarding me everything in his spam folder that has an attachment with the subject "Is this a virus?" I've gotten 43 emails this morning alone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH IT HAPPENED

Congratulations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

2) I never should have demonstrated my malware detecting abilities to the GM. Now he's just forwarding me everything in his spam folder that has an attachment with the subject "Is this a virus?" I've gotten 43 emails this morning alone.

It's always a virus. (Or goatse).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

larchesdanrew posted:

Spin up VMs, one per email, and meticulously open each email attachment he forwards you to verify whether or not it is in fact a virus.

Log your time.

Edit: For my own personal hell, I'm on-site at a company with three filled 48 port switches serving at minimum 18 different VLANs, with apparently no rhyme or reason (company has ~80 systems and 40 employees).

They have lost the enable password for all of them.

FreshFeesh fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 16, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Or just set up a cuckoo instance.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Ugh, two things today.

1) Never tell people a part "should be coming in today" because since 8:01AM I have had every single person from the affected department (and the GM) come by TWICE to ask me when the thing will be working again. I have to explain the whole process to them each time.

I don't know how expensive it is, but where I work, any attachments that break the rules are automatically replaced with a .txt explaining that the attachment was rejected.
I would say that over 90% of the attachments you expect to receive are going to be pdf files, audio, video or images. If any of those are too big to attach to an email, zipping them isn't going to help and you need an ftp solution or something.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Congratulations.
Been waiting eight years for that. Just made me laugh so hard when I saw it.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 16, 2015

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
nobody ever forgets their first "needful"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This %100. Is there anyone out there that actually still allows inbound .zip or .exe attachments? It's easier and more manageable to block all of them and then make an exception for the special snowflake in marketing who gets zip files of photos for some reason.
We don't since we got a cypto earlier in the year, but unfortunately ~80% of our incoming zip attachments are legit which makes it a huge pain in the rear end.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Election time is coming up, and we're waaaaaay too cheap to invest in actual election coverage software. Guess who has been tasked with figuring out a way for 20 users to simultaneously and constantly update data in a meticulously formatted .xls file? For the record, I have no idea how SQL and/or databases work. I am ashamed.

My current plan is to write up a simple program in VS that will write the data to a communal networked .csv (or .xls) file that will be read by our graphics system to update voting info.

I'm probably in way over my head on this. I've got three weeks before my second kid is born, and election coverage will be the first week of August. So that gives me three weeks to write this up, and then I'll be out on paternity leave while all this poo poo actually hits the fan :downs:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Election time is coming up, and we're waaaaaay too cheap to invest in actual election coverage software. Guess who has been tasked with figuring out a way for 20 users to simultaneously and constantly update data in a meticulously formatted .xls file? For the record, I have no idea how SQL and/or databases work. I am ashamed.

My current plan is to write up a simple program in VS that will write the data to a communal networked .csv (or .xls) file that will be read by our graphics system to update voting info.

I'm probably in way over my head on this. I've got three weeks before my second kid is born, and election coverage will be the first week of August. So that gives me three weeks to write this up, and then I'll be out on paternity leave while all this poo poo actually hits the fan :downs:

This will crash and burn spectacularly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

spankmeister posted:

This will crash and burn spectacularly.

It always does. For example, last election they didn't want to pay for a legit copy of Excel for the graphics computer and the trial ran out in the middle of the show.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxby--kSf8c

Emphasis on the part at the 18 second mark.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

larchesdanrew posted:

It always does. For example, last election they didn't want to pay for a legit copy of Excel for the graphics computer and the trial ran out in the middle of the show.
I hope evidence of this is on YouTube somewhere

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

larchesdanrew posted:

Hahahahah this is beautiful. God, you could make an A/T thread for working at a local TV station

J
Jun 10, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

Hahaha, gently caress. Cost of a copy of excel versus the cost of your bush league poo poo going sideways in the middle of a show = ???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

larchesdanrew posted:

I had to do something similar for 4 users just last month as they constantly complained that editing it in the cloud was erasing their stuff, and I found the easiest way was to just give them their own personal .xls and add those as data sources in a master .xls that was used for the reporting and none of the users were allowed in.

e: it took them two weeks, on a weekly report, to gently caress it up because one of them decided that inserting rows below the named table and formatting it to look like the table would somehow magically make it part of the table.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

J posted:

Hahaha, gently caress. Cost of a copy of excel versus the cost of your bush league poo poo going sideways in the middle of a show = ???

:buddy: There's no bad publicity! :buddy:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Vicas posted:

Hahahahah this is beautiful. God, you could make an A/T thread for working at a local TV station

The election before that, the director did a data refresh and the entire spreadsheet rearranged all the data by alphabetical order, but didn't sort the associated numbers. So for the last third of the election coverage, all the numbers were wrong.

Apparently the election before THAT they decided to host the SQL server handling the database on a do-nothing machine that the production staff used for email. Like, just kind of in the middle of everyone (it's still running on that machine). Apparently, mid-show, someone logged out of the account running the server and logged into their account so they could play Solitaire.

So, yeah, I'm actually anticipating everything going up in flames. We could probably turn election night into some sort of comedy show if people knew what was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So with all that prior evidence of cheaping out having a tangible negative impact on the quality of your output…

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Would office online work for this? It has real-time co-authoring and sheet protection so you can limit what information can be changed.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

lampey posted:

Would office online work for this? It has real-time co-authoring and sheet protection so you can limit what information can be changed.

You know, if the auto-saving works like I hope and just saves it whenever a change is made, this may be a pretty decent option. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks, lampey!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxby--kSf8c

Emphasis on the part at the 18 second mark.

These videos are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObfVhkay5k

"Spec bucket"

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

These videos are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObfVhkay5k

"Spec bucket"

I got some Unicorn socks from them last year. They were great. I hope they do the same thing again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Are you an affiliate of a national network? Couldn't you just ask your national network for help with this?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Are you an affiliate of a national network? Couldn't you just ask your national network for help with this?

Not really. They supply us with bare minimum to broadcast national shows. Local news is completely up to us. The AP supplies a national election data feed to use, but we're on our own for anything state and below. Couple that with the fact that everyone in control leaves these decisions up to the chief engineer who does not give one single gently caress about anything that doesn't affect him directly, and you get this clusterfuck.

He told me to stay out of it and is making GBS threads on entry idea I have, but at least I'm trying something

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
An RFP due tomorrow came in!

I manage the support team, therefore I need to be the one who responds to support questions in an RFP, right? It's not like we have a Sales team and pre-made documents that will handle any support-related questions in an RFP, right?

I can't wait to get ripped for these answers:

quote:

Section 2.2.4 deals with the amount of licenses for purchase as well as pricing, therefore I did not supply an answer for that section.

quote:

Section 2.2.5 deals with offering 80 hours banked time for professional services – both offsite and onsite – therefore I did not supply an answer for that section.
Sales is gonna freak out that they might actually have to do more work.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

larchesdanrew posted:

He told me to stay out of it and is making GBS threads on entry idea I have, but at least I'm trying something

Sounds like he's trying to do you a favor.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

You know, if the auto-saving works like I hope and just saves it whenever a change is made, this may be a pretty decent option. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks, lampey!

You could pull something together for ~free~ using google spreadsheets and some forms and stuff, too.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

lampey posted:

The Table functionality might come in handy too; it expands down as new data is added and you can set up PivotTables and the like to reference them. Not sure if charts do the same but I'd be surprised if they didn't; then it's just a matter of right-clicking it and telling it to Refresh and grab new data.

Is the data entry you're talking about along the lines of: District, CandidateAVotes, CandidateBVotes, CandidateCVotes, Closed/Open?

e: Hadn't tried out Excel Online so I was curious, quick and dirty example:

Sums run B:B, C:C, and D:D so when new data is added it recalcs the chart automatically; should be possible to formula in the open vs. closed status to determine how many precincts have reported in.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 17, 2015

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket went out, from me to ISP.

Apparently, one of the major ISPs here is making GBS threads itself, resulting in timeouts when opening bunch of websites. Including Office 365, which bunch of our clients use. I think I'll turn off phone now.

Support was super nice, and thanked me for notifying them.

Good thing is, I can still access SA :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Get this in writing, step back, watch the fire and prepare for your new child. Let them dig themselves into another hole they seem really good at it.

• Locked thread