Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Moey posted:

Can't hurt to hold onto it and see what happens. I assume they will figure it out at some point.

gently caress no, never hold on to poo poo that isn't and won't be paid for. The vendor made a mistake but don't give them reason to pass the buck to you for "hiding it" or whatever they want to call the indiscretion. Demand they take it back immediately and don't stop pestering them until it's out of your building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sickening posted:

Sorry, CDW. I was on a call with EMC as I was posting that.

CDW sent the items to the wrong location. As far as I can tell these modules are brand new and they were attempting to send them to CISCO. :iiam:

I am not a lawyer, this is not actual legal advice, yadda yadda yadda.

Those modules are effectively yours, if you want them. Due to mail order scams (where a company would send you a product, then send you am outrageous bill for the product you never ordered) Congress passed a law saying (very basically) "Anything the Post Office delivers is yours. No take-backs. No charging after the fact."

If you do business with CDW, it may mean less headaches to give them back if they asked for them back. I'm not sure what the situation is if the goods were delivered by FedEx/UPS, but I doubt they'd have much in the way of argument.

Talk to an actual lawyer, or a particularly smooth-talking salesman, if you have one nearby.

ETA: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 5, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am not talking to a lawyer about modules that are going to sit on a shelf. If someone contacts me, they contact me. If they dont' , they don't. Good luck with CDW trying to charge us.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Love bringing in a contractor to do some AD work, especially when i'm basically 1/2 of our department.

I don't love looking at the server once its finished and finding half of our user accounts in the domain added to the remote desktop users group of our second domain controller. What the gently caress are you thinking?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Nice, I just started browsing and figured something DIY would be much more fun.

If you want something cheap that works then you can do worse than these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/25230/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Alright network dudes, what are you supposed to do when your boss is someone that worked at Cisco for 10+ years as a network engineer, acts like he knows everything, but actually knows very little and is full of terrible ideas? Meanwhile, you have to figure out how to implement said ideas and make them work while he sits at his desk, complains about being tired (you could try, oh I don't know, doing some work?) and takes all of the credit.

Edit: If I ever hear the phrase "When I was at Cisco..." ever again I'm going to stab someone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do exactly what he says after making sure you have a CYA-style email exchange where you 'clarify' a few of the design decisions while floating your alternatives. Then when it doesn't work just ask him to help since he has all the experience. Meanwhile you can be kicking back not getting stressed out and ensuring that your resume is up to date.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

back at work after being off for a week, I'm sick, I wouldn't have come in but LITERALLY EVERYONE on my team called off today before I woke up. I went into a nyquil daze last night somewhere around 3am, woke up at 11ish to about 4 emails from people saying they're taking the day off. gently caress you dudes, I know at least one of you is faking it.

Going home at like 3 to finish the day from there because gently caress this, I feel pretty piss poor and I'm going to get other people sick probably.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
making GBS threads pissing me off:
A specifically dense sysadmin: "What do you mean this machine I built in AWS to not-our-network spec won't work right with the rest of our infrastructure?"
A coworker: JFC, Just because you can't remember your password doesn't mean you have to sate this fact twenty times in the span of five minutes. We get it. The comedic effect wore thin four minutes ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO loving KNOW

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Lol. To be fair, Christmas might not be on 12/25, for example if we change December to month 11

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

What in the almighty gently caress am I looking at?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also LOL at "July 4" being defined for every year just in case July 4th is on July 5th next year

Bahahaha "JULY 3TH Day Before" defined as 7/3/2009

Merry CHRISTMB10, yall

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Wow, that guy sure knows a lot of women named Christmas...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You guys are laughing now but next year when July 4th is on the 6th and Christmas is on the 19th who will be laughing then?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"We're not replacing another drive, SMART says it's fine"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

Alex, I'll take "Things to get in writing" for $200 please.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Those dates at the bottom of the chart are weird.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Those dates at the bottom of the chart are weird.

DD/MM/YYYY is weird?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Bob Morales posted:

I once got asked to do a favor for a department and take a look at an excel spreadsheet they use to track patient appointments, missed appointments, hours worked, and figure out metrics. It had been made by someone who no longer works at that department and it broke at the beginning of the fiscal year. I get my hands on it, and after an hour of poking around I found out why.

A hidden sheet with every single day of the fiscal year laid out with the corresponding day of the week, and if it was a weekend or a holiday. The other sheets were using it as a reference for scheduling. It broke because only the previous fiscal year was laid out.

I showed the department director what I found and how to "fix" it and went on my way.

Guess what I got asked to take a look at at the end of the next fiscal year?

They were never going to stop using it so I adjusted the hidden sheet so every day was referenced off the beginning and holidays were figured with formulas so all you have to do now is give it the beginning of the fiscal year. Hooray for bandaid'ing terrible spreadsheets.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

DD/MM/YYYY is weird?
Try following them from left to right.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Clearly "Name + Date" could not suffice as a primary key. If you wanted to be edgy, I suppose you could say "Authority + Name + Date".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jeoh posted:

DD/MM/YYYY is weird?

anthonypants posted:

Try following them from left to right.

Yeah, it goes from early Jan 2015 to early Jan 2016 suddenly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're weird because they're not in ISO 8601 format. :colbert:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Public Holiday listing for when the day off occurs instead of the actual date of the holiday? We have to do something similar with the call center here. Having said that, we at least clean up the historical dates

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mootallica posted:

Public Holiday listing for when the day off occurs instead of the actual date of the holiday? We have to do something similar with the call center here. Having said that, we at least clean up the historical dates

Thats what I'd assume, from a place that does what my current employer does and, if a holiday falls onto the weekend gives us a day off on either Friday or Monday.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Holy poo poo... TOGAF... software architecture development for power-hungry middle managers. I'm feeling sick to my stomach

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Mootallica posted:

I support phone switches. Around every holiday that is not a specific date, we get panic phone calls because the holiday tables are wrong and incoming calls get a holiday greeting, or just go to voicemail because everyone is off for the holiday but the switch thinks its a normal day.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, it goes from early Jan 2015 to early Jan 2016 suddenly.

It goes from August 2015 to February 2016, you're reading it as Month/Day/Year when it's written Day/Month/Year.

Collateral Damage posted:

They're weird because they're not in ISO 8601 format. :colbert:

Also this.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Our director quit a week before the holidays and took my boss with him. We were the only department that managed to get their act together last year. Structures that were put in place are already falling apart, people are power grabbing out of desperation. It's a sad sight. :(

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fenrisulfr posted:

It goes from August 2015 to February 2016, you're reading it as Month/Day/Year when it's written Day/Month/Year.

Also this.

It goes from DD/MM/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY in January. That's what's weird.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Mr. Fix It posted:

It goes from DD/MM/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY in January. That's what's weird.

No, there's just no data for February yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah Google Docs picked a weird range for the axis and I didn't notice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sinestro posted:

No, there's just no data for February yet.

Ah, I get it. Extraneous DD there.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
DD-MMM-YYYY supremacy

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

DD-MMM-YYYY supremacy

ISO8601 :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
As tempted as I would be, I would be wary of putting random poo poo that shows up into production due to the trojan horse factor. It's like finding a flash drive in a parking lot.

I have actual poo poo pissing me off. Due to the El Nino rain here in L.A, or someone's dealings with Chipotle, there was a pipe burst. A sewage pipe burst. A sewage pipe burst that made someone's burrito doin's drop into the walls and out of the ceiling. This happened to be right next to a switch rack and a fax server cage in a lab. Luckily, the leak was contained and wasn't directly at the rack. The smell was about what you'd expect. We put a plastic sheet against the cage wall to prevent splashes and the rack is off the ground anyway.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I work out of a medium-sized office suite home to a variety of small firms and sometimes assist the suite's owners with their tech needs (paid, of course) as they've got no dedicated IT company. I was asked to upgrade the computers they've had since before I arrived to Windows 10 and, while doing so, decided I'd might as well separate out the admin account from those that are used everyday, particularly on the machine that is essentially open to use by anyone who comes by the office.

One of the owners walked in as I was wrapping up and I explained what I'd done and the modest security benefit it would bring. The response was: "What if they want to install something?? They'll just go ask the receptionist for the admin password, anyway! Change it back."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I support phone switches. Around every holiday that is not a specific date, we get panic phone calls because the holiday tables are wrong and incoming calls get a holiday greeting, or just go to voicemail because everyone is off for the holiday but the switch thinks its a normal day.

Same here, and no matter how many times we send out notices before major holidays it's still a guarantee that we'll get idiots calling through on our emergency support line for a schedule change.

At least these days our back-end system supports flexible date rules so we can set up the "3rd Wednesday in the month" type holidays appropriately and have them "just work" every year as opposed to having to change dozens of entries each time, but that still doesn't cover the somewhat arbitrary days off before and after holidays (especially weekend holidays) that people manage to come up with.

edit: YYYYMMDD is the correct answer. Add delimiters of your choice if you want, but any other order is wrong.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Oh gods this is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck. My team lead is being demoted for "not having enough people skills". I can almost guarantee that this complaint came from the contractors who work in our office for the third party software my team works on as well as the "project management office" who seem to like working with said contractors more than with us. Both groups have attempted to run roughshod over our team, dictating when stuff is supposed to happen and what is supposed to be included and completely excluding us from all discussions on said topics. They also attempt to push out code changes they make to production with minimal testing. Over the recent months our team lead has started to push back, forcing them to include us in discussions in what is being included in releases and when stuff is supposed to come out, and forcing them to go through him(as they should) when they want to do their own hotfixes/releases and other such things.

Our new team lead? Based in our satellite office in California(our HQ and everyone on the team is in Iowa). He will be in our office once a month. This seems like a horrible idea for the team, although it will probably work out well for PMO and the contractors because they can more easily leave him out of any discussions.