Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

So just have them stop at layer 1 2 or 3. I understand that you can't have the same "bottomless abyss" tiles as before, but there's no reason you can't have a big ol crack in the earth to design around. I loved designing fortresses that spanned both sides with 50 open toppped bridges and making dwarves have to fight batmen on their morning commute.

If you play around with erosion settings you can make a world where the rivers are nine or ten levels down from the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Hell is actually super loving boring. Who knew?

I also wish we still had the underground towers because those were cool as hell. Something I dislike about this game is how toady will arbitrarily code stuff out and then just never put it back in even though it was cool as hell because he forgets or something. Like I haven't seen a demon ruler of a human civ in forever

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lpzie posted:

im getting jealous that the game is becoming accessible now to normies.

I like to think of it as me paying my dues. I played the poo poo out of it before and after the 3d changeover with original ascii graphics. I deserve dad mode.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zurai posted:

I kinda miss the no-Z-axis days. Probably the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia because I can't really think of anything the 2d version did better.

The one thing I miss was the annual flooding of the underground river.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Lpzie posted:

im getting jealous that the game is becoming accessible now to normies.

Wait it isn't going to have the old UI?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

frogge posted:

Wait it isn't going to have the old UI?
Even the UI is now better and mouse-driven, so I'm going to assume that there will be some other improvements there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
As a normie who didn't get far into dorf fort many years ago, I look forward to seeing what the last couple decades of updates with a UI and graphics will look like.

All the dwarf fortress clones that came out always lacked that little something special that dwarf fortress has that they removed in the process of streamlining and adding graphics.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So many of those DF inspired games are annoying because instead of going hard in procedural generation and systems driven interactions like “cats clean themselves so if they walk through alcohol they get drunk”, they usually just cheat and have a bunch of pre-made “random!” events that it draws from like “Event 420: A Cat in Your Fort Got Drunk!”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure job management still won't be remotely as usable as Therapist though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Capntastic posted:

So many of those DF inspired games are annoying because instead of going hard in procedural generation and systems driven interactions like “cats clean themselves so if they walk through alcohol they get drunk”, they usually just cheat and have a bunch of pre-made “random!” events that it draws from like “Event 420: A Cat in Your Fort Got Drunk!”

Another thing is those clones usually just end up playing like a top-down RTS minecraft with worker units.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

As a normie who didn't get far into dorf fort many years ago, I look forward to seeing what the last couple decades of updates with a UI and graphics will look like.

All the dwarf fortress clones that came out always lacked that little something special that dwarf fortress has that they removed in the process of streamlining and adding graphics.

They had competent cosers who used Notepad+

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

I really miss chasms, it was nice having somewhere to biff your garbage or divert water without atomsmashing it.
They do still exist. They are just inconvenient to reach given they are in the underworld.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

better to dump your stuff into the magma sea over semi-molten rock where it will be disintegrated and removed from consideration

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like he should give in and put a formal grinder/incinerator workshop in the game that churns objects out of existence. But then that's just one of a billion things he should give in on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 31, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I feel like he should give in and put a formal grinder/incinerator workshop in the game that churns objects out of existence. But then that's just one of a billion things he should give in on.

But if he did that then we'd have less incidents of accidental Atom Smashing :v:

Seriously though some sort of Grinder/Recycler would be great

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

But if he did that then we'd have less incidents of accidental Atom Smashing :v:

Seriously though some sort of Grinder/Recycler would be great

It won't happen just because conceptually we're meant to have refuse dumps and manage trash and let items degrade over time it's just so inadequately balanced that it's useless and the only way to manage is exploiting ways to delete items.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another thing is those clones usually just end up playing like a top-down RTS minecraft with worker units.

To be fair, when I first played minecraft I thought, "oh, this is just a first person dwarf fortress."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Schwarzwald posted:

To be fair, when I first played minecraft I thought, "oh, this is just a first person dwarf fortress."

So did Notch, roughly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It won't happen just because conceptually we're meant to have refuse dumps and manage trash and let items degrade over time it's just so inadequately balanced that it's useless and the only way to manage is exploiting ways to delete items.

The core problem is that DF just isn't balanced for long-term play. There's a lot ideas that should play out in the long term, but the Adamses rarely test a fort for more than a couple of years.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've taken over the current LP. Today's episode discusses the difficulties of making beer from inside a glacier.

LP starts here.
Latest post here.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

The one thing I miss was the annual flooding of the underground river.

Toady will expand on toy boats in an update and casually throw in procedural seasonal flooding and better ice temperature tracking.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

reignofevil posted:

Toady will expand on toy boats in an update and casually throw in procedural seasonal flooding and better ice temperature tracking.

The new optimal siege strategy: embark in a glacier biome, use carefully placed radiant-heating magma pipes to create pockets of water around your fort, and simply wait for the invaders to fall through the thin ice.

e: for undead and amphibious invaders, simply shut off the pipes and entomb them in solid ice

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been playing my most successful fort in awhile after taking a several year break from the game and I'm still finding new things. So I've designated a few spots as temples and when I go into the location it says they want instruments. Do I just set up an instrument stockpile in the temple or do the dwarves just go out and grab 'em once there's some made?

Similarly for when I make a tavern, do I need to set a booze stockpile in the tavern?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Large stationary instruments need to be placed as world objects, while small handheld instruments can be stored inside a container in the tavern or temple. For taverns, you want there to be food and drink stockpiles within the boundaries of the tavern itself. If those are available, people will come to eat and drink there.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Playing my first real game of this ever. I'm about 18 months in, and a Cyclops decides to show up. Talking with a friend, and we both think I'm hosed -- I have no traps, very few weapons (my starting metal was gold), and almost all of my animals and half my dwarves (including a motherless baby) are outside.

So, I set up burrow mode to get everyone inside, set a kennel up inside and see if I can get the animals in.

Well, I think one made it in before the Cyclops (Holy Road) met my first dwarf -- and pulped his head in one punch. Then he took on a war dog who got punted away, then suffered a head squish also. Then my necromancer mayor got in the way. We know the mayor is dead -- but we can't figure out how. Guessing blood loss. About this time, I give the order to lock both of the doors, and start putting up walls behind them, praying for a miracle.

Then Holy Road found the baby, as well as one of my hunters and a few animals. Then....this happened:

The holy road misses the dwarven baby!
The holy road attacks the dwarven baby but He scrambles away!
The holy road attacks the dwarven baby but He rolls away!

Now, the cyclops did tear up the baby's shoulder, at which point the hunter and a woodcutter showed up....and the cyclops started passing out. Because he was tired. Because he kept missing the baby (and the hunter, and the woodcutter).

Then:

The flying {*kumquat wood bolt*} strikes the holy road in the upper body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
The holy road is having trouble breathing!

He then passed out again, at which point I sent my 20 member militia (mostly without weapons)....whereupon they ended up both choking out and crushing the cyclops' skull. The fact that I only lost two dwarves and a war dog to a cyclops. It was insane.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Most giants are surmountable (lol) with a squad or two of trained dwarves. As long as you set a burrow and alert, you shouldn't lose civilians and pets on it either. I'm more surprised you took it down with a wooden bolt, honestly :black101:

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Weembles posted:

Also pick up a pack like PeridexisErrant's starter pack if you haven't already.

They contain a few helper apps like Dwarf Therapist that might not have been around the last time you played but make the game much more playable.

This: I'm using Dwarf Therapist and SoundSense liberally.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Tias posted:

Most giants are surmountable (lol) with a squad or two of trained dwarves. As long as you set a burrow and alert, you shouldn't lose civilians and pets on it either. I'm more surprised you took it down with a wooden bolt, honestly :black101:

I'm personally hoping for a Mastercraft Engraving of the ninja-baby.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Generic megabeasts in general are fairly anti-climatic once you are more familiar with the game. Especially with spears.

The only thing that remains difficult tends to be anything that shoots webs and anything that breathes fire, because those can just be instant gently caress yous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dwarf Fortress is a practical example of the adage, "YOU ARE HUGE. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS."

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective, this is not to the advantage of the guts-havers.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Modded giant/large civs with weapons and armor though will ruin you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's been a while - is stonesense still a thing? There are other visualisers, but I thought the isometric style fit the game perfectly, and I loved the live view. It seemed very much like it was on life support, though.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Thanks for the advice on instruments/taverns! Still so much with relearning this game.

I didn't notice it until I started raiding for the first time and took a closer look at the world map, but I set my embark right next to a goblin city. They're just SW of my fortress with 100 gobs.
My military has 30 melee and 10 ranged dwarves. If I didn't fall behind on farming upkeep I'd probably make another militia or two out of the last migrant wave then let them train up for a few seasons before giving it a shot.

It's been pretty fun plinking away at their smaller hillocks and forts nearby. Getting so much loot, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

reignofevil posted:

We'd need more granular tracking of ground level for flooding to work properly.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Opening up the smooth floor menu and setting the angle appropriately so all water flows down a specific hallway for the semi yearly cleaning

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

MikeJF posted:

It's been a while - is stonesense still a thing? There are other visualisers, but I thought the isometric style fit the game perfectly, and I loved the live view. It seemed very much like it was on life support, though.

Last time I tried it, it had some bug that killed it on startup when it tried to load "greiger_items.xml" because it tried to do something incorrectly. The github page had some discussion on it and I believe by now there may be some tips on how to fix it. That's about all I know, though! Never got it working myself.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think Stonesense got folded into DFhack. I'm not sure if that version is still be actively developed though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zurai posted:

I kinda miss the no-Z-axis days. Probably the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia because I can't really think of anything the 2d version did better.

I thought the fundamental fortress layout puzzle was more interesting in the 2D game. 3D feels like infinite space. It replaced the challenge of managing rooms with the challenge of visualizing your 3D fort in 2D interface.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought the fundamental fortress layout puzzle was more interesting in the 2D game. 3D feels like infinite space. It replaced the challenge of managing rooms with the challenge of visualizing your 3D fort in 2D interface.

When I play rimworld I often miss the ability to have a basement or second floor in my buildings. Honestly I rarely have a fort of more than 5 or 6 z-levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, proper topography in Rimworld would own, but I'm not a more then 4-5 z level guy either.