Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
What I love is that there is probably a cut of that guy saying “sperm” and every euphemism for “sperm” under the sun, but “swim-swims” was the only one that didn’t make a bunch of suits at HP break out into a cold sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The established term is gamer cum, cowards

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The established term is gamer cum, cowards

I believe it’s shortened to gum since it’s sticky and gets left in the worst places.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

I believe it’s shortened to gum since it’s sticky and gets left in the worst places.

:hmmyes:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1305638663632703488?s=19

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm surprised it's only China.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

I'm surprised it's only China.

John Boyega was taken off the posters for the Star Wars sequels in China, I’m not surprised about this at all.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ugly In The Morning posted:

John Boyega was taken off the posters for the Star Wars sequels in China, I’m not surprised about this at all.

What I meant, was, Korea and Japan are not shining beacons of racial tolerance either.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The last Starwars movies would have been far more interesting if they focused on him.

I remember reading some article where the girl who played Rey was upset she hasn't been fielding down offers since the last movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean she was the only interesting actor in that movie.

John didn’t have much to do so maybe he’s good I dunno

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

The last Starwars movies would have been far more interesting if they focused on him.

I remember reading some article where the girl who played Rey was upset she hasn't been fielding down offers since the last movie.

Mark Hamill wasn't exactly vaulted to stardom either, even considering his face thing.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think I just found an article that talks about that - it was more that she had been auditioning for things, but no one was hiring her. Of course, I'm sure some sites took that and ran with the "spoiled girl expecting job offers" angle, because the internet is trash.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Beachcomber posted:

Mark Hamill wasn't exactly vaulted to stardom either, even considering his face thing.

I dunno, he basically got VA work whenever he wanted it for his entire post-swars career.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
From the original trilogy, wasn't harrison ford the only dude who made loving bank? And now he hates anything about Star Wars or Indy Jones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jayme posted:

I think I just found an article that talks about that - it was more that she had been auditioning for things, but no one was hiring her. Of course, I'm sure some sites took that and ran with the "spoiled girl expecting job offers" angle, because the internet is trash.

I don't know if that happened to Daisy Ridley, but I know that happened to the guy that played live-action Aladdin. You'd expect a role like that to be a big break, but it just killed his career.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

I don't know if that happened to Daisy Ridley, but I know that happened to the guy that played live-action Aladdin. You'd expect a role like that to be a big break, but it just killed his career.

Well maybe he should've used his wishes better :colbert:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Back in the day being in a Disney movie was a one way ticket to stardom because Disney movies were good.

Now that is no longer the case.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Being in a successful Disney is no guarantee of success either. Mena Massoud, who played the titular Aladdin was complaining that he's been having trouble getting roles, despite being the lead in 2019's second biggest movie. Now, this one is a clear cut case of industry racism. Disney announced a spinoff tv show for the white prince character they made up for the bad Aladdin remake movie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Volcott posted:

I dunno, he basically got VA work whenever he wanted it for his entire post-swars career.

Yeah but it helped he was an insanely good VA, that's not something a lot of screen/TV actors can just jump in to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

Yeah but it helped he was an insanely good VA, that's not something a lot of screen/TV actors can just jump in to.

Though it does seem to work when you've got the Star Wars or Star Trek problem of being well-known and talented but also typecast to gently caress. Reminded of how Gargoyles was practically a TNG reunion. (Though I think XCOM 2 did it on purpose)

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Was there a thread for bizarre website ads and the like? I'm thinking of the ones that are like "do this to clean your colon!" and then an image of a bath sponge studded with almonds and set on fire.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Beachcomber posted:

The face thing?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He was in a really bad motorcycle accident between (I think) Empire and Jedi. Had to have it completely reconstructed in the early 80s.

edit: there you go, earlier than I thought.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jojoinnit posted:

The face thing?

He got into a car accident after the shooting of the first Star Wars that kinda messed up his face, mostly on his right side--it's not horrible, but it is noticeable once you know that happened. Empire used Luke getting hosed up on Hoth as an explanation.

The Holiday Special was shot even sooner after the accident than Empire, though, and the makeup job is... rather excessive on Hamill because of it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Being in a successful Disney is no guarantee of success either. Mena Massoud, who played the titular Aladdin was complaining that he's been having trouble getting roles, despite being the lead in 2019's second biggest movie. Now, this one is a clear cut case of industry racism. Disney announced a spinoff tv show for the white prince character they made up for the bad Aladdin remake movie.

This doesn't really have anything to do with your post but said post reminded me of this classic America.txt tweet

Egyptians culturally appropriating roles meant for Egyptians :argh:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not in any way denying the industry racism, where the handsome young charismatic brown fellow gets no further work.

But I thought the dumbarse goofy scandinavian prince was the funniest part of the film.

But thats not saying much, because it was a loving awful cash-grab remake.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually saw that movie last year, despite not having been a regular movie-goer in years. A friend of mine insisted on it for some reason, and I said why not. I wouldn't say it's awful, but I also wouldn't say it was necessary for that particular live-action remake to exist.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm so glad Mulan is bombing, even in China.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jojoinnit posted:

Why are you letting gamers jizz in your places

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Roblo posted:

How did they mess it up this time?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phlegmish posted:

They filmed in areas where the Chinese government is currently committing genocide. And thanked the authorities in those areas in the credits. The lead actress has also gone out of her way to praise the Chinese governments handling of Hong Kong.

It's also apparently a poo poo, unnneeded remake.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, those are actually good reasons to cancel it.

Considering we live in CURRENT YEAR, I figured there was a good chance people were angry it was 'too SJW' (or not enough), or that Mulan wasn't played by someone from the exact right ethnic subgroup, or any other of a million dumb reasons

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Roblo posted:

Did the cartoon version do well in China?

I don't remember any of my kids giving even half a poo poo about it when I was there. But that could well be because they were born nearly half a decade after it was made, and it was never one of the Big Disney movies.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

The general consensus is that it has some amazing visuals but feels like it was written by a committee

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Did the cartoon version do well in China?

I don't remember any of my kids giving even half a poo poo about it when I was there. But that could well be because they were born nearly half a decade after it was made, and it was never one of the Big Disney movies.

Did it do well in the West? I think I actually saw it as a kid, but I never got the impression that it was culturally huge.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

The general consensus is that it has some amazing visuals but feels like it was written by a committee

I feel like that describes a ton of movies these days but I don't want to sound like a boomer

I've gotten sick of all the superhero movies, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In the original Mulan: "If I work really hard to keep up with the guys I can make sure my father doesn't have to go to war and fight! Hard work means you can achieve the things you want in life!"

In the remake: "Hey isn't it cool I'm literally magic? Just be born lucky, everything will work out!"

With greatest thanks to our genocidal hosts.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

EoinCannon posted:

That's how I felt about Aladdin. The movie was surprisingly slow and dull, but the set design and costuming were amazing and a visual treat. Also Will Smith was a fun genie when he was allowed to be Will Smith's genie and not Will Smith playing Robin Williams genie.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like that describes a ton of movies these days but I don't want to sound like a boomer

I've gotten sick of all the superhero movies, though.

I'm the same way, I pretty don't watch movies and I hate superheroes
Yes I'm a joyless, stuck up weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Have they even released numbers for how it's doing in the U.S.? Since it's on streaming, they don't have to.