Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

Is Zombicide any good?

Dead of Winter is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Won my first game of Forbidden Stars as Chaos Friday night due mainly in part due to the Ultramarine player setting up his base in the corner and placing two victory tokens on adjacent spaces before I placed my base tile. While he did have two marines originally defending the planet with my token, he moved one off to protect the other one. That was basically two tokens easily obtained with a cultist and two of my own marines. Meanwhile, the Orks and Eldar were on the other side of the board duking it out. The last turn of the game, all I had to do was dominate onto a vacant planet with my cultist and the only thing stopping me was the Ultra player moving onto the planet or punching the cultist off. We all told him to do it. He didn't. Otoh, the Ork player could've gotten to five tokens in that same term if the Eldar player didn't rout two of the Ork ships and destroy a third with his own single ship. Technically a victory, but not the most fulfilling

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

Completely different games. The only thing they share is theme. I would actually say Zombicide is a better game of it's type than DoW is in the hidden betrayal/survival genre.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

Technically true

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Bottom Liner posted:

Zombicide is 100% Ameritrash but my friends really like that sometimes. It's not terrible, and I'm ok with it for the price I paid (got it cheap), but not really worth the craziness people have for it. It was the first huge CMON game and you can tell they put style over substance, but thankfully they've gotten better a the latter. Arcadia Quest is my favorite dungeon crawl type game, and Blood Rage looks pretty great too. Anyone actually played it yet?

Blood Rage is great. Effectively Chaos in the Old World with all the randomness and barriers to play stripped out

There's 4 monsters you can only get via eBay/kickstarter, which is balls, though.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Introducing people to Codenames is both entertaining and disappointing. Everyone that I've played with so far has had a great time, and most have followed up with me to lament that they can't find a copy of it anywhere.

So glad I bought it when I did :)

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Bottom Liner posted:

Zombicide is 100% Ameritrash but my friends really like that sometimes. It's not terrible, and I'm ok with it for the price I paid (got it cheap), but not really worth the craziness people have for it. It was the first huge CMON game and you can tell they put style over substance, but thankfully they've gotten better a the latter. Arcadia Quest is my favorite dungeon crawl type game, and Blood Rage looks pretty great too. Anyone actually played it yet?

I"ve played Blood Rage a couple of times so far. Buddy picked it up at Gencon. It's pretty good. You have to be pretty fluid and ready to change your strategy, especially if you're in the lead. Because it's pretty easy to hate draft if you know what someone's plan is from looking at their upgrades and such. That happened to me in the first game I played. Actually two different players took every card I needed. Lost pretty badly. Second time I played I didn't focus too much on static upgrades and went with a new strategy in round 3 based on the cards I drew instead of sticking with my plan from stages 1 and 2. Actually ended up getting too many cards focused on that strategy because no one was expecting it. I think I got everything I could have possibly wanted. I won by...a large margin. Another player focused on quests the whole game and got hate drafted in the third round with another player taking all of the quest bonus upgrades. She had been in the lead, so I was expecting it. I didn't bother. Besides, she was to my right, so anything I thought she might want had to make it all the way around the table first. Good game. Wish it didn't have Kickstarter exclusive content. Sounds like some good stuff, but no way to get it. Not my game, so not too worried about it.

Zombicide isn't terrible. It's very random, but accessible to non-gamers. If you work as a team and trade gear to those that need to it lessen the impact of the dice rolls it can be a bit too easy. My cousin has season 1 and 2 and the expansions. We fit it all into a single art case from Hobby Lobby, maybe it easier than carrying around 3 boxes. For me it would be much better if it didn't take so long to set up and put away. Some of the characters are extremely overpowered as well. The Steven Segal and Hannibal (different names on the cards) characters come to mind. If you pick them and an easy mission, it's basically a cakewalk with no challenge at all.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

QnoisX posted:

Blood Rage

Was Blood Rage still enjoyable when you were losing? Did you feel like you were completely wrecked or like you could still catch up? How easy it it to screw other players over and how easy is it to recover?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

QnoisX posted:

Good game. Wish it didn't have Kickstarter exclusive content. Sounds like some good stuff, but no way to get it.

This is what holds me back from getting it. That's some next level bullshit that I won't support, like store specific preorder bonuses in video games.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Got my One Night Vampire copy. Now I'm wondering how big a clusterfuck it would for a game that uses all 48 roles and then take 1 hour for discussion.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Cocks Cable posted:

Got my One Night Vampire copy. Now I'm wondering how big a clusterfuck it would for a game that uses all 48 roles and then take 1 hour for discussion.

In all honesty, that's basically what big games of traditional werewolf are; a ridiculous amount of players/roles, and an hour (or two, or more?!) figuring poo poo out. Problem is, only having "one night" to take actions means that an hour into the game you have no new information to go on and are stuck trying to remember all the poo poo people allegedly did an hour ago, instead of how they acted/voted/etc most recently in a traditional game.

That said- I'd totally try it. :downs:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My FLGS gave me an Argent the Consortium shirt, but I've never played it. Should I get it, thread, and why? And if so, should I pick up any of the expansions with the base game?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

ETB posted:

My FLGS gave me an Argent the Consortium shirt, but I've never played it. Should I get it, thread, and why? And if so, should I pick up any of the expansions with the base game?

If you want a heavy worker placement game with tons of direct interaction, about as much setup variability as Dominion, and non-standard win conditions, Argent is your game. If you can get them, the expansions slot pretty nicely into the main game without a lot of fuss. It's awesome, but not for the faint of heart because it also tends to run long, about 45 minutes to an hour per person depending on AP.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Argent is great; it's a worker placement game with some engine building elements that has enormous variety and some unique(at least to me) mechanics. Like taser rate says, however, it's a big, long game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Are there any good worker placement games with no engine building elements aside from Dominant Species?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

cenotaph posted:

Are there any good worker placement games with no engine building elements aside from Dominant Species?

Caylus. I guess there's an engine, but it's available to everyone and only built by making more actions available.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Also, only buy Argent if you have an actual, legit kitchen table to play on, because it's got a footprint that puts Mage Knight to shame.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gutter Owl posted:

Also, only buy Argent if you have an actual, legit kitchen table to play on, because it's got a footprint that puts Mage Knight to shame.

This is the truth. I love Argent, but in a half dozen plays I've yet to find a more elegant table setup despite my best efforts, it's loving massive. Also the insert sucks so prepare to make one of your own or buy a third-party kit.

How is the Summer Break expansion, by the by? Worth picking up?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

This is the truth. I love Argent, but in a half dozen plays I've yet to find a more elegant table setup despite my best efforts, it's loving massive. Also the insert sucks so prepare to make one of your own or buy a third-party kit.

How is the Summer Break expansion, by the by? Worth picking up?

It's nice, but not particularly game changing. Adds more vault cards, supporters for each color, a new voter (iirc counts total treasures, consumables and gold), and a scenario that's supposed to be pretty good for 2p games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Frisk posted:

Caylus. I guess there's an engine, but it's available to everyone and only built by making more actions available.

Ditto Praetor and Euphoria. Unless he's counting "generate resources, use resources" as an engine, in which case yeah, there really aren't going to be many games like that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

cenotaph posted:

Dungeon Petz? It doesn't really have a traditional engine as such. Although you still get resources and spit out points.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cenotaph posted:

Stone Age, kinda? You get better at collecting resources, but doing so is incredibly simple and intuitive (tools are good, more people are good, farms are great, etc.).

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

Medium Style posted:

Was Blood Rage still enjoyable when you were losing? Did you feel like you were completely wrecked or like you could still catch up? How easy it it to screw other players over and how easy is it to recover?

I have played it 5 times now and I am not sure I'm sold on it.
I thought the drafting would be the best part of the game but I really don't like that in this game. You have to draft against whoever came out of round best or he will just build on his lead. But if you do that you throw your own chance of victory and someone else will win.
Combat feels fine but there's too little of it and one fight gone bad can screw you over more than in similar games. I hoped the combat was similar to Kemet but it feels more like CitOW where combat resolution is the weakest part of the game imho.
I had really high hopes for it, I expected it to more or less replace CitOW & Kemet, but it feels worse than both.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Medium Style posted:

I found it to be a difficult game to recover in. There are two facets to this though- recovery within an individual round and recovery within the game.

Within a round, if you commit to a big battle and lose most of your troops you might find yourself sitting with very little to do for the rest of the round. In the last game I played, I had a really succesful second round, and started the third round with 90% of my troops on the field. Then as the round started, they all died in battle immediately. I had maxed rage, but the only thing I could do with it was summon a single ship... over committing is very dangerous if you don't have upgrades that can let you recover. But there are certainly quite a few upgrades which will let you recover, or points strategies that aren't vulnerable to catastrophic losses. To fight against that you need to work in the draft phase.

Within the game as a whole then, the catch up mechanism is the gradual stacking of power. The power available in the second and third rounds are much higher than those in the first. If you can position for a good third round, while working against the person currently leading, you can make up a lot of ground. But if the person currently leading has picked a strategy that isn't vulnerable to disruption? You're unlikely to be able to catch up and overtake. There is another reason it is hard to recover though- doing well early on gives you more resources to compete later on. As you can put more figures on the field and have more rage to draw from, it becomes harder for somebody else to get a solid foothold. Absent a catastophic wipeout for a winning player, that is a hard position to recover, and probably needs cooperation/kingmaking.

I personally didn't feel too bad a sting from losing. It's a pretty quick game. It's going to vary between players though, there are some really nasty powers* that can do serious damage, and if you get targeted by them you might feel a bit hard done by.
(*The troll that kills everybody in the region he is summoned to, the battle card that kills all but one combatant from each player, etc.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

QnoisX posted:

Zombicide isn't terrible. It's very random, but accessible to non-gamers. If you work as a team and trade gear to those that need to it lessen the impact of the dice rolls it can be a bit too easy. My cousin has season 1 and 2 and the expansions. We fit it all into a single art case from Hobby Lobby, maybe it easier than carrying around 3 boxes. For me it would be much better if it didn't take so long to set up and put away. Some of the characters are extremely overpowered as well. The Steven Segal and Hannibal (different names on the cards) characters come to mind. If you pick them and an easy mission, it's basically a cakewalk with no challenge at all.

I found tracking sound to be tedious as gently caress. And the split/multiply mechanic was pretty clunky. The game was way more fun when we started ignoring half the rules.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think I'd kill someone who took an hour per player in Argent. We've got it down to around 30-35 min per player at the moment. It's really not an overly complex game. It's great and there are interesting decisions all over the place, but it's fairly straightforward.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I don't find Zombicide too bad. Not a great game but it's certainly a few steps above Zombies!!!. Not tried out the team vs. mode from Rue Morgue yet either.

Nevvy Z posted:

I found tracking sound to be tedious as gently caress. And the split/multiply mechanic was pretty clunky. The game was way more fun when we started ignoring half the rules.

Yeah, we tend to house rule a couple of things too. Namely we remove the Zombie Mitosis mechanic (just randomise the direction of the odd ones) and have a 'back to back' mechanic (if you're in the same space as a single other survivor, you don't automatically shoot them if you use a gun).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zark the Damned posted:

I don't find Zombicide too bad. Not a great game but it's certainly a few steps above Zombies!!!. Not tried out the team vs. mode from Rue Morgue yet either.

Yeah, we tend to house rule a couple of things too. Namely we remove the Zombie Mitosis mechanic (just randomise the direction of the odd ones) and have a 'back to back' mechanic (if you're in the same space as a single other survivor, you don't automatically shoot them if you use a gun).

Meow and exploding kittens are a few steps above Zombies!!! widescreen edition, don't try to pretend that's high praise.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
MEOW is better than Zombies!!!? The poor game.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
I'm looking to break out Pandemic Legacy this weekend, and I'll be playing 2 player pretty much exclusively. We play base Pandemic & OTB with only 2 pawns, but I often feel like we're handicapped by only having two abilities at our disposal.

Does anyone have experience with each player controlling more than one pawn in Pandemic? Does it play better, or is it too cumbersome?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It really does pain me that there's no simple, light zombie game out there with a decent combat system and actual rules. If you could design that game you would just be printing money.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I think I'd kill someone who took an hour per player in Argent. We've got it down to around 30-35 min per player at the moment. It's really not an overly complex game. It's great and there are interesting decisions all over the place, but it's fairly straightforward.

Yea, an hour per player is definitely on the high end, but I could see it when playing with new players. The last game I played was a 5 player game and it ran probably about 3.5 - 4 hours, with three players being new. You're right that it's not really all that complex since at a basic level it's just worker placement with out of order resolution (ie Caylus), but the decision tree each round, particularly at round start, is enormous, and it only gets larger with player count and each passing round. It can take some time to prioritize actions based on what resources are available, what rooms are out and what other players are capable of.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

MEOW is better than Zombies!!!? The poor game.

My understanding of Meow is that it's a silly activity that takes all of five minutes.

Zombies is an awful dice rolling random exploration random everything random shitfest that we gave up on after an hour.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Aghama posted:

I'm looking to break out Pandemic Legacy this weekend, and I'll be playing 2 player pretty much exclusively. We play base Pandemic & OTB with only 2 pawns, but I often feel like we're handicapped by only having two abilities at our disposal.

Does anyone have experience with each player controlling more than one pawn in Pandemic? Does it play better, or is it too cumbersome?

I'm 7 games into Legacy and we've just been playing two pawns the entire time. Without spoiling anything: in normal Pandemic some abilities just work way better as a pair than others, and this is true for Legacy. But with character upgrades and other Legacy effects this is mitigated and things get a lot more interesting.

Also keeping track of having two hands and pawns just seems terrible

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Huh, the Roll for the Galaxy expansion, Ambition, dropped today at CSI.
I didn't expect it quite so soon...or to be released without any fanfare.
Rahdo did a video of it if anyone is curious was is added: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDhFVPdEU4

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Danimo posted:

I'm 7 games into Legacy and we've just been playing two pawns the entire time. Without spoiling anything: in normal Pandemic some abilities just work way better as a pair than others, and this is true for Legacy. But with character upgrades and other Legacy effects this is mitigated and things get a lot more interesting.

Also keeping track of having two hands and pawns just seems terrible
Great to hear. I read the rules last night, and the only real difference I see for Game 1 is it is very risky to end you turn in a city that has a decent chance of an outbreak. There is also a lower risk in ending your turn in an infected city that hasn't yet been drawn (i.e. it could be the target of an epidemic).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Aghama posted:

Unless you don't discuss things at all, everyone is controlling more than one pawn in Pandemic all the time. It's just that one person is in charge of looking after each hand.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How much heavier would Forbidden Stars be for a group that really likes Kemet? Would it be a pretty easy game to teach with a decent gaming background? Looking for something more 4x-ish for them, but an emphasis on combat is a big plus. My other idea was Terra Mystica, but that might be a bit dry or not cutthroat enough.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 20, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

How much heavier would Forbidden Stars be for a group that really likes Kemet? Would it be a pretty easy game to teach with a decent gaming background? Looking for something more 4x-ish for them, but an emphasis on combat is a big plus.

Heavier for sure, but a group that can handle Kemet should be able to handle Forbidden Stars. It might take a learning game though before things click, so they should all be aware that the first game would likely involve a ton of flailing. Note that unlike Kemet, where everyone shares from the same pool of powers and thus there is a somewhat universal understanding of what is available, that's not the case in Forbidden Stars, which adds to the learning curve considerably. Strategically heavier, mechanically probably not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Nevvy Z posted:

We usually don't bother tracking sound unless the group is split up. Most of the time we stick together or have at most one or two go off on their own. It's always good to bring a buddy, in case you roll terribly or search up a zombie. Every person counts as a sound so as long as you don't have someone that's dual wielding uzis (that's happened), the sound output should be close for everyone. I don't think the splitting thing has come up more than once or twice. A big rule we changed was shooting into an area with a person. We require critical failure to actually hit them, so you have to roll a 1. It still happens, I was killed off in one game by a guy that kept pushing his? no, MY luck. I already had a wound and he shot me in the face. I think we were even requiring a confirm roll on it. So any 1s you roll have to be rerolled and if you hit 1 again, it hits a player. There are a few other house rules we use, but don't remember them at the moment.