Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

All I hear about Subnautica is how horribly optimized the pancake version is. How badly does this come across to VR because I feel like floating around in endless blue with hitching would be an express ticket to Chundertown.
I tried playing it in VR a few months ago and the performance seemed fine to me (1070/8700k/16GB). I definitely wanted to blow chunks into my regulator at first though once I started trying to catch fish while swimming around with the xbone controller. The general lack of precision I have while trying steer myself chasing a fish which darts randomly about and after 30 minutes of that I had the VR sickness sweats. I went to pancake + keyboard + mouse after that and catching fish to eat is a breeze. Once I got to the point I was able to grow my own food I went back to VR and never had the problem again. The game is amazing and the further into the story you are, the less stupid bullshit breathing / food / water survival crap you have to deal with.

I did almost have a physical heart attack and pulled back so fast that I went over backward in the chair I was sitting on once though when I had a terrifying underwater encounter out of nowhere though. I love how my brain's escape plan was "just lean as far back in the chair as you can, as fast as you can".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Can you imagine how good Subnautica in VR would be with lone echo style controls, grabbing and climbing, swim jets on your wrists, snatching fish and resources with your hands and swinging a knife around like a goober? Man...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's pretty much what Star Shelter is

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Catch & Release is just launched on the Oculus Home and Steam. This game is a hidden gem, you are in a row boat on a nice serene pretty lake and you fish, drink beer, take pictures, listen to music and thats it. However, the boat rowing and fishing are extremely well done and theres tons of little things here and there that make it such a fun experience.
I've been playing/streaming the beta for the past two weeks and I'm surprised in how much I ended up liking it, its one of my go-to games when I need to take a day off from Beat Saber.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vox Machinae is cool as hell. Go check it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't, stop teasing me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yup, that cool as poo poo mech game I've been waiting for sure still is in closed beta. Thanks for the reminder, dick. :negative:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What is the thread title from? Is that an actual goon-quote?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Can confirm, after having it for months I played it yesterday and it was pretty cool

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, I wonder if revive will even be necessary. It's not coming out until 2019, openXR is coming out this year, and oculus have said they want to move to openXR as the main sdk, with OVR being legacy support. I don't know if they're too far along in development, or if it will be easy to switch over, but it seems there a good chance it will be running openXR.

If thats the case even though its only sold on the oculus store it should run on anything that supports openXR. Even if they went out of their way to put in a headset ID check, theres no reason to think that won't be easily bypassed by spoofing the ID, like it has been with the stuff on steam that had a vive ID check. I'm not even convinced they would bother putting in an ID check, knowing how easy it would be to bypass while generating PR flak. I think the most realistic scenario, if it does indeed launch as an openXR game, is that its just simply made for the oculus touch controls, and might not map well to the vive wands (though openXR is supposed to have control mapping but who knows how it will work exactly.)

All pure speculation, but I guess we'll get more hints at the future when openXR finally drops

If the Vive Pro and what Oculus previewed were any indication we're going to be owning Rifts anyways.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UmOk posted:

What is the thread title from? Is that an actual goon-quote?

Yup, I forget who asked it though.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glagha posted:

All I hear about Subnautica is how horribly optimized the pancake version is. How badly does this come across to VR because I feel like floating around in endless blue with hitching would be an express ticket to Chundertown.

Its my most played game in VR (though Skyrim is catching up). It's awe-inspiring.

I don't really get VR sick tho so YMMV.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2018

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, I wonder if revive will even be necessary. It's not coming out until 2019, openXR is coming out this year, and oculus have said they want to move to openXR as the main sdk, with OVR being legacy support. I don't know if they're too far along in development, or if it will be easy to switch over, but it seems there a good chance it will be running openXR.

If thats the case even though its only sold on the oculus store it should run on anything that supports openXR. Even if they went out of their way to put in a headset ID check, theres no reason to think that won't be easily bypassed by spoofing the ID, like it has been with the stuff on steam that had a vive ID check. I'm not even convinced they would bother putting in an ID check, knowing how easy it would be to bypass while generating PR flak. I think the most realistic scenario, if it does indeed launch as an openXR game, is that its just simply made for the oculus touch controls, and might not map well to the vive wands (though openXR is supposed to have control mapping but who knows how it will work exactly.)

All pure speculation, but I guess we'll get more hints at the future when openXR finally drops
OpenXR is not available in any form right now, so any software currently being developed is not using it. They theoretically could migrate--it's not a huge API surface--but in practice that sort of thing is done at the engine level, and migrating engines can be a bigger deal.

OpenXR's control mapping will work almost exactly like SteamVR's beta control mapping does. It's practically a preview release of the OpenXR input subsystem.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Glagha posted:

I didn't have any performance issues with subnautica, but the ui is rendered far too close which made it unplayable in vr for me. Was unable to see my health or remaining oxygen, and trying to use the inventory gave me a headache. Looked great though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ralith posted:

Far Cry 6, coming exclusively to Asus monitors!

:sigh:

But if asus didn't inject money into ubisoft Far Cry 6 would never exist, stop complaining!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I was dicking with H3VR's latest attachments and made a sniper UMP, which is cool as heck:

But then I thought... why should I bother with all that "aiming" nonsense when I can deliver my bullets directly to the enemy?

So simple!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

So I was dicking with H3VR's latest attachments and made a sniper UMP, which is cool as heck:

But then I thought... why should I bother with all that "aiming" nonsense when I can deliver my bullets directly to the enemy?

So simple!

Now you've discovered the true joy of H3VR :patriot:. That sniper UMP is pretty boss-looking too.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

But if asus didn't inject money into ubisoft Far Cry 6 would never exist, stop complaining!

The camp that keeps talking about how VR would die if Oculus didn't fund a bunch of companies making half assed games that only half of the PC playerbase can play is hilarious to me.

I guess they're glad that Facebook bought Oculus and completely changed their business model because if they hadn't VR would have been gone by now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What? The Oculus studios games are at least half of the best and most polished games in VR, and you can play them on any system. Go console warrior somewhere else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can't give money to a platform that might remove my ability to play bought games at any moment because I have the wrong headset.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thats certainly your perogative but you are missing out on some very very good games for something that has an incredibly low likelyhood of happening.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll just wait until it's all on another platform, I have enough of a backlog as it is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

What? The Oculus studios games are at least half of the best and most polished games in VR, and you can play them on any system. Go console warrior somewhere else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Also Oculus has given tons of non Oculus studios games money to develop games. In many cases, they did not require exclusivity or sometimes even launch parity. We honestly can't be sure how many games wouldn't have been made without direct Oculus funding.

Last night I did some back to back to back headset comparisons.

Steam Tracking 2.0 (base stations and controllers) vs Steam Tracking 1.0 (base stations and controllers) differences: None for my play space (4m*4m).

Vive DAS vs Vive Pro audio - Hands down winner to Vive DAS. I've been playing Beat Saber on Vive Pro for awhile and even with Bass boost + pushing the headphones against my ears, the Vive DAS sounds MUCH better.

Vive vs Vive Pro cable/linkbox - Hands down winner Vive, the Vive has slightly longer cable (seems like about 2 feet), can be replaced or extended (no Vive Pro cable for purchase yet), the Vive linkbox can be used as a powered extension for the Rift/WMR headset while the Pro cannot.

Vive vs Vive Pro visuals - Vive Pro makes it much easier to read text, but for everything else it's exactly the same. Honestly, after using all 3 (Rift, Vive Pro, Vive + DAS) for playing Beat Saber last night, I'd choose the Vive + DAS over Rift/Vive Pro. The tracking is the same and the Audio was best on Vive + DAS

My Rift is a 2 camera system in 180, and my back camera only runs with USB 2.0. The Rifts controllers are so light they don't feel like you're holding anything. If I could get equal tracking then Skyrim would be best with Rift, while I prefer the Vive larger size and heavier weight for Beat Saber.

All said I'm working to return my Vive Pro since the Audio is worse, the proprietary link cable scares me, the linkbox not being usable for other systems are strong enough downsides to overcome the increased resolution.

TLDR: There have been enough Vive + DAS vs Rift comparisons, but a direct Vive + DAS + Steam 1.0 tracking vs Vive Pro + Steam 2.0 tracking shows one upside for Vive Pro (better resolution makes distant text much nicer) and many downsides (Audio much worse, link cable unreplacable, link box unusable by other sytems), and the tracking to be exactly the same.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 8, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Facebook is not a console.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Facebook is not a console.

Neither is it a VR gaming platform.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Neither is it a VR gaming platform.

It is, however, terrible. :eng101:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It is, however, terrible. :eng101:

and spying on all your poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad we could have this talk, ladies and gentlemen. See you all tomorrow.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Wait, do people really link their Oculus to their Facebook account?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knight posted:

Wait, do people really link their Oculus to their Facebook account?

To be mildly fair, they do go out of their way to try and get people to log in with a Facebook account rather than an Oculus one.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Thank you Rec Room for giving me the experience of blowing away a british kid with a shotgun and having him shout "gently caress YEEEEEEW"

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Who else other than Oculus is funding "AAA" vr games ? As much as I'm not a fan of facebook as a company I'd much rather they put money into content than not.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Combat is sweet, open beta June, 21!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkFhZTAIBk

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
This is really cool VR tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxM0shLBvyM

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Echo Combat is sweet, open beta June, 21!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkFhZTAIBk

I just love how the aesthetic makes it look like the greatest game of laser tag ever.

I really hope the levels they haven't shown are bit more inventive with space. Its zero g in VR, have a payload thats entirely vertical, a map that inverts halfway through or something. It looks like an absolute blast, but it just looks rather flat and 2d with that map layout.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Guycot posted:

I just love how the aesthetic makes it look like the greatest game of laser tag ever.

I really hope the levels they haven't shown are bit more inventive with space. Its zero g in VR, have a payload thats entirely vertical, a map that inverts halfway through or something. It looks like an absolute blast, but it just looks rather flat and 2d with that map layout.

Corkscrew tower payload path.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

It's overall relatively flat, but there are both specific areas that are more vertical, and you can flip yourself around to get different approaches and cover. The meta in this game is going to favor people who use smooth rotation and reorient a lot mid match. It's only horizontal if you use the default orientation!

I get what you mean though. There are spots in the beginning and end with more verticality, but to be honest I think a big part of it is that the locomotion is already so new and different that the map being relatively flat helps new people ease into it. I do hope there are crazier maps though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

It's overall relatively flat, but there are both specific areas that are more vertical, and you can flip yourself around to get different approaches and cover. The meta in this game is going to favor people who use smooth rotation and reorient a lot mid match. It's only horizontal if you use the default orientation!

I get what you mean though. There are spots in the beginning and end with more verticality, but to be honest I think a big part of it is that the locomotion is already so new and different that the map being relatively flat helps new people ease into it. I do hope there are crazier maps though.

Yeah exactly, it looks great regardless, and looks like theres a lot to play around with as is for space. I really want to see something that goes say "straight" for the first checkpoint, then proceeds directly "up", exactly because, as you mention "its only horizontal if you use the default".

It would be great seeing the players who don't really grasp the zero g aspect struggle with that shift in perspective, while experienced folks will have had their "the enemy gate is down" moment and orient themselves however is most functional. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

It would be great seeing the players who don't really grasp the zero g aspect struggle with that shift in perspective, while experienced folks will have had their "the enemy gate is down" moment and orient themselves however is most functional. :)

if you hold your hand in front of your face they don't get headshot damage :0

ok that's more "shooting between your legs" but close enough I felt clever