Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

You know, if Batgirl wanted to boost her numbers on YouTube, getting an interview with you would really help her. Ask simple, objective questions, and most would eat it up. Controversy as told from a neutrality is devoured by both sides.

it's true; downvotes are upvotes for the google machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I get what you're saying here, but I'd argue that the time for neutrality has passed. When a situation is uncertain, then good journalism warrants looking at the issue from multiple sides. However, once any given situation matures and the facts surrounding it solidify, there is no longer a such a thing as neutrality - there is fact, and there is fiction. Two years ago there was an argument to be made both for and against CIG. Last year the wheels started to come off. Today - well, put a fork in it.

There is no way to be neutral about CIG and be realistic at the same time. That's bush-league journalism - the kind of poo poo you read on MMORPG.com, where no dumpster fire is bad or hot enough to call it as it is. Were Batgirl to actually accurately assess what's going on with this project, she'd wind up posting here with the rest of us. And having a far better time than she is right now, all things considered.

I don't know if her fabric of reality is ready to be sundered like that.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DapperDon posted:

I don't know if her fabric of reality is ready to be sundered like that.

Sometimes you have to break something to fix it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

DapperDon posted:

"Batgirl" is in no way at all the journalist that she thinks or claims she is. She has no interest whatsoever in being neutral about this situation. Her entire entity is wrapped up in promoting Star Citizen and when you watch those videos where she tries to be "critical" she is still waving her pom poms. Derek would dominate her and the narrative immediately. But you are correct, the viewership would be off the charts. I think it would be loving hysterical for Pgabz to do a series of these with Derek and whatever shitizen shill they could round up for Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7mwQYeICQ

Just to add, Batgirl is also the guild?/clan?/group?/fleet? leader of a bunch of commandos that goes by the name of "The Enablers". :)

I'd say it was an SC 'in game' thing but there not being a game existing kinda fucks all over that :D

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
CIG uses a pretty standards compliant two factor authentication method, so you can just grab something like Authy and use it to secure both your Google account and your CIG account. I sort of wish companies like Valve would use normal 2FA and not their own home-grown poo poo, so I will definitely give CIG props for their current implementation.

EDIT: Specifically, CIG uses 6-digit RFC 6238 TOTP, the same thing that Google uses.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 7, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ghostlight posted:

The 'idea' is that the inside of the ship is instanced, but not the outside - so that way you can have a dozen people running around jerking off in wankpods but outside the ship only the important things like laser fire and direction needs to be conveyed. It's retarded because instancing (at least in the WoW sense) is not at all the appropriate tool for a weird hybrid occlusion culling and gameplay.

I suppose it is technically possible, but the only way it could feasibly work is to have the actual innards of the ship sitting somewhere else, where nobody can see it, while a ship-shaped shell floats through space, controlled directly by the pilot. Entering or exiting the ship, or entering or exiting a pilot seat or turret, would necessitate a loading screen as the game switches your viewpoint to the appropriate location, and you sure as poo poo wouldn't be able to see anyone inside the ship from the outside or vice versa.

It would also completely kill that "you are controlling your commando who is controlling the ship" nonsense, because the commando and the actual ship wouldn't even be in the same instance.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hell yes, let's have a web series hosted by Pgabz and Derek, with special guests such as Beer, Streetroller and MoMA

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjcPQUpahu8

Chief Gulley: STAR-XTJ2-NG3Z
Redshirt: STAR-CSWL-PPDV

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
pgabz please do a ten minute "managing expectations" video, it's the new cool thing

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
You may expect your ship to work, this is wrong.

You may expect your gun to work, this is wrong.

You may expect your character to not phase through solid objects, this is wrong.

You may expect the game to have content by now, this is wrong.

You may expect CIG to create a delta patcher after 5 years, this is also wrong.

Please manage your expectations.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
CGI's strategy is clear : raise short term expectations with promises of a near patch with a small incremental number, with a couple of innovations that are real and measurable but have little impact on the overall progress of the game (like international servers). Raise long term expectations with a Jesus patch. Jesus patch doesn't have a release date - it's released when they think that discontentment with the project's advance is so big that it's better to just release an incomplete, broken X.0 version. Then, promise things will get fixed in the next patch.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I wish I had some reason to be Derek's facebook friend. I think that would really boost my FUD-spreading resume. After all, it's all about who you know :D

More fun just to watch him Warlord against the Great Orange Evil One....

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skellybones posted:

Hell yes, let's have a web series hosted by Pgabz and Derek, with special guests such as Beer, Streetroller and MoMA

:same:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Exinos posted:

You may expect your character to not phase through solid objects, this is wrong.

That's very good, I'll archer it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Exinos posted:

And you may expect yourself living in wankpod booth

And you may expect yourself in another asteroid base

And you may expect yourself behind the wheel of a large space chariot

And you may find yourself in a beautiful game, with high fidelity

And you may ask yourself, well, how did we get here?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

words words :siren: JULY BLOG :siren: words words

You realize that Derek schooled you hard here, right? Like you claimed to have never said something, he puts up your exact post of you saying those very things, and then you try to handwave it away as Derek's word salad? At least fess up that you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar here. I know you're a habitual liar and all, but when confronted with one's own words, trying to blow it off as something else is a little bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

It's low because most backers know their pledge was just to help CIG build a multinational, multilayered mega corporation that makes YouTube videos and a crysis mod.

If their account is stolen it's really ok with them because their money still went to CIG, so game development can continue. They really are just kind benefactors not wanting anything for $$$$$'s of their hard earned and government dispensed earnings.

The end result of a AAAA game is all they want. Such good guys and girls with hearts of gold. :allears:

That was very sarcastic. 5/5.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm staggered by CIG's claim that they're going to be creating "windows" so you can see across instances. Absolutely staggered. I'm not claiming the tech is technically impossible - I'm claiming it's impossible for CIG to develop it, much less deploy it into this piece of poo poo that passes for a game in their version of reality.

It would take far more computing resources to create such a "window" than it would to just jam everyone in the same instance in the first place. Even if you use the power in the machines.

YDUGD

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 7, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Hello darkness my old friend, it's good to be with you again.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bootcha posted:

The end of days is here, Bootcha has returned.

Hey buddy how's it going?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bootcha posted:

Holy poo poo, the Dereknarok is nigh.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Bootcha posted:

He's alive!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! How's it hanging?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shadowlyger posted:

The way I think of it is basically the way WoW uses it for dungeons. Each dungeon run is a separate instance, and only people within that instance can see and interact with it. Other groups are, naturally, placed in another instance of the dungeon. Hell, they've even extended that tech to the overworld at this point, so the game can spin up multiple instances of overworld zones to balance population.

In any case, you cannot see players who are in a different instance than you, even if they are, technically, standing right next to you. You can even pull another player into your instance by inviting them to a group, but in that case you're simply changing what instance they're in, not letting them look into one other than the one they're in.

So basically, if the larger ships were an instance of their own, you wouldn't be able to see anything outside of the ship except the environment; other players would not show up at all. For that matter, other players wouldn't even be able to see your gigantic ship, because it wouldn't be in their instance!

That is mostly true but there is nothing really preventing different instances from communicating between each other so that you can see the other players. The problem is that the whole point of instances is that they are a compromise, if you could have 1000 players together and interacting without issues in real-time then you wouldn't need to split them across multiple instances. Or, in the case of EVE, you wouldn't need to slow time.

I do get what crobbers is trying to do, which is having servers that handle small "instances" at the FPS-level but have enough extra horsepower to merge (that is coordinate with another couple of servers) a few instances in a dynamic way. So when you have 2 ships (where the commandos inside each one are handled by different servers) that get close both servers detect this and begin sharing stuff that they normally ignore, like the movement of the commandos inside the other ship. Then another ship (up to a max) can also get close or one can leave, etc. This is, of course, extremely loving complicated, adds a lot of latency, and has all sorts of edge cases that would make it a nightmare to code.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 7, 2017

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
anything good happened the last 2 pages or so?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG

to

https://twitter.com/RayRoocroft

Seems F42 UK support staff dropped CIG from twitter names, he's not the only one.

They shouldn't have had the company name on a personal account anyway, it's bad practice. But making the change simultaneously would seem to indicate a directive from the Office of the Thumb or some other change of circumstance that made being linked directly to the identity CIG a bad idea (aside from the obvious).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AlmightyPants posted:

You realize that Derek schooled you hard here, right? Like you claimed to have never said something, he puts up your exact post of you saying those very things, and then you try to handwave it away as Derek's word salad? At least fess up that you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar here. I know you're a habitual liar and all, but when confronted with one's own words, trying to blow it off as something else is a little bit disingenuous, don't you think?

I think he's given up, and pretending to own Derek is what distracts him from Star Citizen.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

anything good happened the last 2 pages or so?

Some quality shitposting

also Expanse season 2 is out, it was pretty good. They still don't show the space commandos refueling their ships so it's not nearly as immersive as Star Citizen*

*dreams

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

Some quality shitposting

also Expanse season 2 is out, it was pretty good. They still don't show the space commandos refueling their ships so it's not nearly as immersive as Star Citizen*

*dreans

do they at least tpose randomly

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Daztek posted:

do they at least tpose randomly

yes there is some very fine T-posing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

:eyepop: :fuzzknot: :eyepop:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'll start the countdown to goons who can't leave poo poo alone chasing Bootcha off again :sigh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bootcha posted:

welcome back fam

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Some quality shitposting

*dreams

Expanse is love.
Amazing show truly.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'll start the countdown to goons who can't leave poo poo alone chasing Bootcha off again :sigh:
:rolleyes:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

happyhippy posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-danger...uffer_pcgamerfb

So a movie company is throwing money at Braben, how come they are not throwing money at the visionary Chris Roberts?

I'm hoping for Tron

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Tace Vim posted:

I'm hoping for Tron

dune or stargate for me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I feel a disturbance in the parp

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Bootcha posted:

the darkness is my favorite embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maybe Frontier could be the first guys in like 20 years to make a good Aliens game.