Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Peggotty posted:

I need some advice: Is it an extremely dumb idea to buy a (used, but very sparingly) Surly Long Haul Trucker 26'' in tyool 2024 or a moderately dumb idea? I would use it for commuting and maybe hauling some stuff over long distances (but I don't do that enough to spend 2k on something). Can you even still buy decent 26''' tires?

Rene Herse has some nice 26” tires from 1.25” up to 2.35”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tildes posted:

It’ll be like 24-36 F with maybe 2-7 inches of snow. I have a mountain bike w/ 2.6” tires, which is the biggest it fits.

i ride in similar conditions semi-regularly and without knowing more about the trail I wouldn't do it unless my tires were double that

even then I would probably still avoid 7 inches of snow on an ungroomed trail

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/1bwfh74/shuimao_is_authentic_kmc/

quote:

I ordered a KMC chain, and it came packaged as "Shuimao." I raised concerns that it's counterfeit, and Amazon says it's not. Am I missing something?

Nice of Amazon to let honest scammers continue to make a living

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Amazon customer service is beyond garbage these days.

Amazon sent me the wrong thing a few months ago. I returned it. They initially refunded me and then revoked it. Said I hadn't returned the item. No poo poo.

I'm guessing they get an insane amount of fraud from the customer side too.

Apr 7, 2003

I got a pair of counterfeits off amazon a few years back but the packaging looked spot on, glad they've given up on that and passed the savings to the consumer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol SHUIMANO

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I know there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that but lmao don't buy from Amazon (esp. bike parts).

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

resident posted:

Putting these on a commuter surly would certainly be something. Great tires no doubt. Schwalbe makes quite a few models that would fit, Big Apple would probably be my choice.

The real problem imo with 26" rim brake bikes is getting decent pre-built wheels for them. Mavic made some a few years ago still but dunno if they still have them. If you build the wheels yourself or have a shop do it there are decent rims available. Otherwise I think a LHT makes a lot of sense if the price is good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I'm guessing these will not be cheap.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700c-tpu-tubes-metal-valves/

lol

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Overpriced gimmick brand is overpriced shocker.

Rather foolish to wait till TPU tubes are a commodity, cheaper to buy than butyl, before launching your version.

Not to mention that tubeless has surely taken the high end market by now anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Peggotty posted:

I need some advice: Is it an extremely dumb idea to buy a (used, but very sparingly) Surly Long Haul Trucker 26'' in tyool 2024 or a moderately dumb idea? I would use it for commuting and maybe hauling some stuff over long distances (but I don't do that enough to spend 2k on something). Can you even still buy decent 26''' tires?

I have Conti contact urban on my 26" shopping cart, they are surprisingly fast and I haven't got a puncture yet

Havana Affair posted:

Putting these on a commuter surly would certainly be something. Great tires no doubt. Schwalbe makes quite a few models that would fit, Big Apple would probably be my choice.

The real problem imo with 26" rim brake bikes is getting decent pre-built wheels for them. Mavic made some a few years ago still but dunno if they still have them. If you build the wheels yourself or have a shop do it there are decent rims available. Otherwise I think a LHT makes a lot of sense if the price is good.

You can get the disc trucker with 26" rims

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Peggotty posted:

Are you looking at this model specifically because there's a cheap one available? If not, what draws you to this bike?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

wooger posted:

Overpriced gimmick brand is overpriced shocker.

Rather foolish to wait till TPU tubes are a commodity, cheaper to buy than butyl, before launching your version.

Not to mention that tubeless has surely taken the high end market by now anyway.

The draw of TPU for everyone that I know is the ability to easily carry 2+ high volume backup tubes on endurance races or bike packing. The spare butyl tube I had for my 650b 55mm tires almost filled an entire Topo handlebar bag by itself. Switching to TPU let me carry 2 spares + multitool + multiple CO2s + spare hanger + spare brakes + some small snacks in the same space.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

resident posted:

The draw of TPU for everyone that I know is the ability to easily carry 2+ high volume backup tubes on endurance races or bike packing. The spare butyl tube I had for my 650b 55mm tires almost filled an entire Topo handlebar bag by itself. Switching to TPU let me carry 2 spares + multitool + multiple CO2s + spare hanger + spare brakes + some small snacks in the same space.

Sure, I do that too, space saving is good even for road tubes. But that’s equally served by aliexpress TPU tubes. Paying for artisan quality tubes just for limp home spares when you’ve had a tubeless disaster doesn’t seem like a big market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wooger posted:

Sure, I do that too, space saving is good even for road tubes. But that’s equally served by aliexpress TPU tubes. Paying for artisan quality tubes just for limp home spares when you’ve had a tubeless disaster doesn’t seem like a big market.

The TPU tubes are great for the space savings, but agreed, that's why I buy the cheap ones.

Road tubeless seems too experimental for me still. Maybe once I get used to it on my gravel bike I'll think about it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

resident posted:

I've run Rat Trap Passes on my 90s MTB -> gravel bike conversion and can confirm the experience is amazing and wonderful.

I think for a certain use case (mine?) TPU tubes make sense:

- Have too many bikes and don't want to be an unpaid pro team mechanic and maintain a spreadsheet of sealant dates

- Rarely flat (dunno if it's just the area or luck?)

- Care about rolling resistance

Oh and educate me on the reliability of the cheap TPU tubes - I was under the impression that with a plastic valve stem they cracked/leaked at the tube junction. Better now?

amenenema fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 5, 2024

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I use butyl tubes. Cheap, available, durable, effective. I'm not a good enough cyclist for the rolling resistance differences to matter in any appreciable way, and I'm not afraid to carry a few more grams or occupy a few more cm3s of cargo space.

Anyway... every now and then, I think about getting a city bike with a 3-speed internal gear hub. It's not ideal for where I live and I'll probably never pick one up, but it sounds fun, especially with a coaster brake. I was thinking about some models when I had a hilariously bad idea: I could take my Escape, with a 3 × 7 drivetrain, and get a 3-speed bike by replacing the rear hub with a coaster hub. It'd be the most bass-ackwards way of achieving the dream of a silly bike with not enough gears for my town and way less braking power!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

amenenema posted:

I've run Rat Trap Passes on my 90s MTB -> gravel bike conversion and can confirm the experience is amazing and wonderful.

I think for a certain use case (mine?) TPU tubes make sense:

- Have too many bikes and don't want to be an unpaid pro team mechanic and maintain a spreadsheet of sealant dates

- Rarely flat (dunno if it's just the area or luck?)

- Care about rolling resistance

Oh and educate me on the reliability of the cheap TPU tubes - I was under the impression that with a plastic valve stem they cracked/leaked at the tube junction. Better now?

I bought 8 in various sizes about 18 months ago. One that was unviable out of the box and one failed after some abuse, the rest seem to be still working fine. Road bike and gravel bike use.

wooger posted:

RH claim they are faster than tubeless

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ras Het posted:

And like Vando said, two inches is very different from seven inches.

Jeez, keep reminding me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slavvy posted:

Without any numbers to back it up

Maybe at the same pressure on a super smooth road? Who knows

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Another thing is snow above freezing is a different beast. Different layers of packed snow can compress and slide on one another, but it really depends on the traffic of the trail. Something that's consistently groomed all winter can be wonderfully stable. Something a couple dozen people are snowshoeing a day all winter? Completely inconsistent and difficult to even walk on without afformentioned snowshoes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I bought 8 in various sizes about 18 months ago. One that was unviable out of the box and one failed after some abuse, the rest seem to be still working fine. Road bike and gravel bike use.

RH claim a lot of things

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slavvy posted:

I mean, they’re probably not even as fast as latex tubes. Rolling resistance isn’t wildly different between latex/TPU and tubeless, but no risk of snakebite punctures and sealant that lets you get away with nicer tyres without flatting means tubeless easily wins. If you have a good reason not to (perfect roads, multiple bikes that you don’t want to check sealant in) fine.

RH tyres are like paper, don’t have a decent puncture belt, yet cost more than the high end race tyres the pros use. You’d be better off using current generation TT tyres on both puncture protection & price.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hey speaking of riding in snow, thanks to freaky weather in this bit of Europe I got to experience the joys of riding on snow again. But it was also very calm wind-wise and one-two degrees above freezing so gently caress it, went and enjoyed 110k/4.5h.

This was the worst bit snow-wise, a 3k long multi-use path. No cars so obviously nobody bothers cleaning it because pedestrians can go and suck a fat one, right? Riding snow-sludge like this is slightly scary but also fun... well, as long as you keep yourself upright.
Mostly stuck to lower-traffic roads after that bit, because yeah, those are mostly clean from snow. Not a lot of traffic at 8AM on a Saturday anyway.

Ate this thing that I'd call an Eastern-European hot dog (though it's the first time I've seen and had one).
Could do with some onions but it was loving delicious after three hours of riding in any case.

https://i.imgur.com/fWlt5Oo.mp4

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

wooger posted:

RH tyres are like paper, don’t have a decent puncture belt, yet cost more than the high end race tyres the pros use. You’d be better off using current generation TT tyres on both puncture protection & price.
I have Compass Rene Herse 650x42s extralights running tubeless on my long distance road bike and they last for the thousands of miles with very few issues. Almost 7,000 miles on this bike and I'm on the 3rd set with plenty of life left in them.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

bicievino posted:

Are you looking at this model specifically because there's a cheap one available? If not, what draws you to this bike?

Yes, a friend of a friend is selling one that he bought right before the pandemic and then never used. But now I think it's too small anyway. I'll probably end up buying something for commuting and postpone the touring bike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
It's the first sunny day in what feels like a week or nine. That means it's single speed time, even if all I have time for today is cleaning it up. The ride'll have to wait for tomorrow on account of all the crap I had to do this morning, this afternoon, and in a few hours, this evening. But, tomorrow'll be warmer than today, so that works out just fine.

Let's just hope it's this sunny Monday.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

wooger posted:

Check your cleat position and wear. Could’ve slipped.

I got a new pair of shoes as few months ago and nearly crippled myself by getting my cleat angle way off. Did well over 1000 miles like that, felt like I had constant tension in my calf from trying to stabilise it, and messed up saddle height and position first trying to fix it.

Could also be your saddle position, and a leg length or flexibility problem. Drop it a little.

So far cleat position seems to have been the culprit. Shifted it as far back as possible and knocked out 30 miles mostly without issue, so thanks for the suggestion.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ride flats

Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

It's the first sunny day in what feels like a week or nine. That means it's single speed time, even if all I have time for today is cleaning it up. The ride'll have to wait for tomorrow on account of all the crap I had to do this morning, this afternoon, and in a few hours, this evening. But, tomorrow'll be warmer than today, so that works out just fine.

Let's just hope it's this sunny Monday.

What are those pedals

Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

ride flats

My wife has always rode with stiff shoes on flats and tbh after trying that system with the new Fairlight bikes I’m ready to apply it to my gravel bike

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Fool posted:

ride flats

I have comically wide feet, and stiff flat pedal shoes don't exist in wide widths (no, Freerides aren't wide). Despite this, I will never stray from flats. Deity Deftraps are pure perfection and it's what my feet crave.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What are those pedals

I had to go out and look. They are Mission Impulse pedals in yellow.

I got them at my LBS because I wanted yellow pedals, and they had two sets: one from Deity, Deftraps I think, which looked slightly too dark; and these beauties, which were the exact bright yellow I was looking for to match the bottle cage. It's possible that the price, which was about 1/4the the Deity's price, had something to do with the decision-making process. I'll never match the gold-yellow color in the State wordmark, but everything else seems to be working. Kind-of makes me wish I had bought some yellow ergonomic grips.

I'm drinking that Single Speed beer now.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Fool posted:

ride flats

flat pedals
fat tires

the rest doesn't matter

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I have comically wide feet, and stiff flat pedal shoes don't exist in wide widths (no, Freerides aren't wide). Despite this, I will never stray from flats. Deity Deftraps are pure perfection and it's what my feet crave.

I run the same pedal and wear hiking shoes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

flat pedals
fat tires

the rest doesn't matter

you and I have different definitions of fat tires

both are good though

Apr 7, 2003

My wife was absolutely set against clipless for some reason and went from toe clips to Raceface Chester and it's worked out great for her. When we got the Fairlights I tried the same setup she likes and it's just fine. Clipless is a fad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Fool posted:

ride flats

I use flats on my commuter

Lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Fool posted:

I run the same pedal and wear hiking shoes

I did trail runners for my first MTB class (because I didn't plan well enough ahead) and was frustrated by the lack of interface security between the shoe tread and the pins. It's not a problem up to bumpy gravel, but I was really slipping on practicing jumps and landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just moved to an area that looks great for cycling, after not cycling for over a decade.
Bought a beater city bike and went on a few trips to see the area, and it looks fun.

What are the good logging and route planning apps for Android in Germany?

And does anybody know what the kind of bike that is good for low energy tours through a gravel paved swampland is called? In German?