Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

The other three hats. Can't really think of any others to do* so I'll package these up and link the file in here sometime, after dragbody says if I can use the last model there from his courier cache mod.

"The Gambler"

"The Bayou Baron"

"The Drifter"

* I've had poo poo luck trying to edit the meshes themselves -- exporting them for Wings 3D fucks them up -- and it's hit or miss whether cludging stuff together in Nifskope will work, so I can't do anything ambitious like a giant foam hat or a bent "tin can" style hobo top hat or a prospector's hat with a stick of dynamite in the brim, much as I'd love to.

these are super cool hats and i'll definitely use your mod next time i do a play through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Here's a .7z of what I have so far so I can get some feedback and make sure I put everything together correctly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/voz9b0c6yzl9276/AQS-sack-of-hats.7z?dl=0

Drop it all into the Data folder. It's dependent on Honest Hearts and uses assets from Courier's Cache , which I may have to remove depending on if dragbody gets back to me and it's a no for some reason.

You'll find the sack at the rear of that rusted out car overlooking the camper trailer in Goodsprings Source. Haven't updated the ground models yet from the defaults, and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to give them any effects beyond the default +1 PER. I'm thinking it might be cool to create "legendary" versions of each one with an appropriate enchantment and hide them around the world in logical places (e.g. the child's souvenir hat with a +CHA enchantment, hidden in the Sunset Sarsaparilla prize vault).

e: another I started since then, "The Dead Man."

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 22, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did New Vegas stay relatively intact after all the DLCs or did it acquire tonnes of weird bugs like Fallout 3 did after Operation Anchorage? I've not played it since release so I own Dead Money and OWB but haven't seen anything in them, but if it's going to be one of those scenarios where I need to rig up load orders and unofficial patches I might not bother.

gently caress, I just remembered that Fallout 3 involved playing with a release EXE and enormous fan patches meaning Steam owners were basically forced to use warez.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Did New Vegas stay relatively intact after all the DLCs or did it acquire tonnes of weird bugs like Fallout 3 did after Operation Anchorage? I've not played it since release so I own Dead Money and OWB but haven't seen anything in them, but if it's going to be one of those scenarios where I need to rig up load orders and unofficial patches I might not bother.

gently caress, I just remembered that Fallout 3 involved playing with a release EXE and enormous fan patches meaning Steam owners were basically forced to use warez.

Fallout NV did stay fairly intact after all the DLC's. The only things I would call essential are NVAC and NVSR and those are just easy install NVSE plugins.

Ironically, the best way to play Fallout 3 currently is to use Tale of Two Wastelands, a mod that combines Fallout 3 and Fallout NV into a single game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

delta534 posted:

Ironically, the best way to play Fallout 3 currently is to use Tale of Two Wastelands, a mod that combines Fallout 3 and Fallout NV into a single game.
:aaa:

edit: crashed with an Out of Memory error before I could even get into the Goodsprings saloon and don't feel like redoing the tutorial again. Don't think I have time to wrestle with Gamebryo this week.

Do I really need the crash reducer and stutter prevention? I don't remember them being an issue at launch. I'm thinking I might try a UI overhaul but I know once I start down the mod rabbit hole with these games it never ends.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 23, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shumagorath posted:

edit: crashed with an Out of Memory error

Do I really need the crash reducer and stutter prevention?

Oh god yes. And get CASM, because supposedly the default saving system is buggy in some way.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh god yes. And get CASM, because supposedly the default saving system is buggy in some way.

The save system in NV can lead to heart attacks because the entire load/save system can randomly and completely break. You'll now this has happened when your game hangs until it becomes unresponsive whenever you try to load any save or new zone.

The few times I've had this happen have all been resolved by starting a new game, waiting until I get player control, and then loading any other save.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Would any of y'all have any idea why I'm losing a lot of karma for killing fiends? Before going into Vault 3, my character was very good and after clearing it out, she was neutral which means I was losing a fairly significant amount of karma for killing the drug-addled psycho raiders. Color Me Evil is installed and the only thing after it in my load order is Universal Perk Requirements. Furthermore, looking at the mod with mod organizer's conflict detector, it doesn't conflict with anything.

I'm honestly not even sure where I should begin to look to see what mods have touched the alignment of the fiends as a whole, but it is kinda annoying to have the "you did a BAD THING" noise play every time I have to kill a fiend.

EDIT: I loaded everything up in FNVEdit and nothing looked out of place. The only other mod that touched the generic Fiends was NVCE and it didn't appear to do anything but tweak their appearance stats.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 24, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Most fiends are innocent people that are fed psychoactive drugs in order to push them into a murderous lifestyle of torturous addiction. What these people need is help, you monster!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Most fiends are innocent people that are fed psychoactive drugs in order to push them into a murderous lifestyle of torturous addiction. What these people need is help, you monster!

Yea really.

Sometimes I see some hot little thing so hopped up on jet she doesn't know shes the bad guy. I just wanna get in her pants, but I gotta take the shot.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

John Marston hat. Probably last one for now.

Here's a version with all eight hats, and dragbody did give permission for his models so that's cool. Most have ground models, a few use placeholders. Still need to decide if I'll give them special effects.

Haven't tested extensively for race/sex/head size but I did see a minor clipping issue with The Dead Man on certain heads, since it's made from Cass's hat and wasn't meant to be playable. I might have to make a .egm if I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89g5u1xgalf45wd/AQS-sack-of-hats-v02.7z?dl=0

Any movie hats anyone would like to see? I might do Django's yet.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why are the hats so huge?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

They're normal size, the same models as vanilla hats.

Here's the Nexus link
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58540/

I'll make a "special" version of each one and hide them around the Mojave for the next update.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why are the hats so huge?

Maybe you're just a tiny person.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Installed the others, didn't set ReplaceHeap and so far I've made it to REPCONN without issue. I left CASM out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

I left CASM out.

You'll regret this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I managed to get through the game the first time without it so unless there's been a significant degradation since release I doubt it.

What doesn't seem to be sticking is my FOV setting. I've changed every INI file I can find yet it still defaults to motion sickness settings. Am I stuck setting it through the console every time?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I managed to get through the game the first time without it so unless there's been a significant degradation since release I doubt it.

What doesn't seem to be sticking is my FOV setting. I've changed every INI file I can find yet it still defaults to motion sickness settings. Am I stuck setting it through the console every time?

FOV Slider

Also CASM really is a "stitch in time saves nine" thing, I see no reason not to use it. The fact that it now completely takes over vanilla quicksave and auto save functions to not be slowly save corrupting is fantastic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shumagorath posted:

Ah, a gambling man I see. New Vegas is the perfect game for you.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Alright, alright... my main opposition was having to use a mod manager but I'll see if the built-in launcher handles it. Thanks for the FOV slider too, though I managed to change the three different settings in two different files to make it stick.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So I've played some (40 or so I think) hours of New Vegas without any mods, and I figured I'd play it with mods once. Thing is, the OP is kind of huge and intimidating to a degree, and there's a lot of mods to choose from. I already installed FOMM and LOOT, though.
My question is, should I go hard, install a few mods and play a pretty different game? Or start with just a few, like EVE and one of the secret bases, and see how that plays, work my way up from there?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My advice would be to install performance mods such as NVSE and the 4GB mod first, since many other mods require those to function properly. After that, I'd try not to go whole hog just yet-try adding just one or two mods from the OP that seem interesting, play for a session, and make sure everything's running smoothly. If it does, great! Move on and DL some more mods. If something goes wrong, then you will at least know which mod it is as opposed to having to try and hunt it down from a big list.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Serperoth posted:

So I've played some (40 or so I think) hours of New Vegas without any mods, and I figured I'd play it with mods once. Thing is, the OP is kind of huge and intimidating to a degree, and there's a lot of mods to choose from. I already installed FOMM and LOOT, though.
My question is, should I go hard, install a few mods and play a pretty different game? Or start with just a few, like EVE and one of the secret bases, and see how that plays, work my way up from there?

You'll want to just pick a handful and not keep adding mods to an existing savegame, as that can sometimes create problems depending on what they change, those that alter the worldspace and are dependent on original scripts in particular. Texture or model mods can always be added or swapped out, however.

I made some recommendations here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713&userid=16423&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post441547089

You might want to check out IMPACT, also.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 26, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Install one mod at a time and keep a backup of your game files so you can easily put everything back the way it was. Sometimes two mods will affect the same thing, in that case the one that's lower on your load order will take priority- for example EVE gives the AER14 prototype a purple beam and different crit kill effects, but the JSawyer balance mod also affects that weapon and if you put it lower than EVE it'll undo the changes. Make sure your load order is right! Also in FOMM under "tools" there's an option called "archive invalidation" which is ticked. When you install a new mod untick it and then tick it again otherwise the changes made by the mod might not all be applied. I don't know what it is but it seems to work.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you have a good grip on ModOrganiser/WryeFlash/FNVEdit you can pretty much run an infinite number of mods together with good compatibility and stability. I played sixty hours of my ~300 mod install without a single crash thanks to careful and plentiful merging (to keep it under the 138~ esp soft limit) and manual patch creation.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alright, I downloaded EVE, NVSE and the 4GB fix to start with, going to install them within the day as a 'base' to work from there. I was thinking of using a big mod, but I feel like something smaller, like some perks/traits or weapons/armor would be a better starting point.

Thanks for the help, very appreciated. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm avoiding overhauls after Skyrim's Requiem reminded me that mod makers have a very skewed interpretation of what made "old-school" RPGs fun and none of it is informed by advances in game design made since 1993. FWE / FOOK for Fallout 3 was similarly painful, though that's because the game used to have a 100% chance to implode on certain cell transitions due to everything requiring the release EXE and the mammoth unofficial patch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing with New Vegas is that there isn't a whole lot to improve upon. I have a bunch of mods for New Vegas but the game plays more or less the same. There's no huge leveling overhauls, heck there's not even any good perk addons that aren't overpowered to the point of cheating. That said, there are some little things I just started to notice on my Convergance game is that a few cool new clothing items are being used by people. I have unique weapons and armor spread out throughout the world for me to find. My XP gain is extremely limited. Skill points matter a bit more. The biggest gamechanger is Increased Wasteland Spawns, really makes the game more difficult in a fun, non-bullet spongey way.

So I say go with things like that. Jsawyer, AG supplementary uniques, Project Nevada. I really like FOOK, it adds a bunch of little things to the game and switches up the locations of some stuff to keep things fresh.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've always thought that convergence looks nice, but I've always been a fan of WMX over WME and I dunno about having the WME weapon mods and just the WMX melee mods. The crazy amount of patches he is adding now (every single one of the mods he is patching for I use) do make it a more tempting thing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Its funny how I mention FOOK and suddenly I start noticing it. I was doing a quest to take pictures of some signs and two of the locations were close enough that I decided to walk. There's about two dozen fiends scattered about the area but I either snipe them or engage them. I walked by a completely innocent looking drainage gate, and due to my investigative nature, decided to look at it. Smuggler's Cache? So I go down, kill some robots, pass a 75 repair check with a magazine, and am rewarded with two unique guns. All because I decided to explore.

Great game ya'll.

BurritoJustice posted:

I've always thought that convergence looks nice, but I've always been a fan of WMX over WME and I dunno about having the WME weapon mods and just the WMX melee mods. The crazy amount of patches he is adding now (every single one of the mods he is patching for I use) do make it a more tempting thing.

Eh, the melee mods aren't that great. I mean, maybe there's some top tier stuff somewhere but for the most part I'm seeing 50% durability for a baseball bat. Mods for weapons that I can't really see anyone wanting to use, just feels kinda bloated. I guess it would pair with the Signature Weapon / Signature Armor mod (which both own by the way).

Here's what I look like right now:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The new area is most likely AWOP, if you're using the whole convergence install. The unique guns are probably FOOK guns that were added to the AWOP area by convergence.

I love IWS but I've had to disable it for my new character because you get bullshit like 25+ powder gangers in Primm that make the early game pretty unenjoyable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
gently caress no, I did not install AWOP, the new area was added by FOOK. Also as far as IWS goes, just tweak the settings? Or maybe just get better equipped before taking on the fortified town. I didn't think it was bullshit at all, I thought it was a really fun challenge. Even with a billion difficulty mods, I still break this game over my knee just by being a stealthy character. Also it gets much, much easier once you have E-DE and another companion (in my case, Boone). I think you should have toughed it out, there's no reason you couldn't have just walked past the town and come back later. Things really even out once you get some gear.

Just now I was walking from somewhere to McCarran Airfield, through fiend territory. I'm picking off lone fiends and looting them, and I get a gun that I want to sell. I give my guns to Boone, so I turned around only to discover he wasn't there. All of a sudden I hear *whoooosh*... *BOOOOM!* of a missile launcher, and then E-DE and Boone fighting for their lives somewhere in the distance. I run over and start poppin motherfuckers John Wick style while Boone and E-DE hold the brunt of their attention. Every time I think they're all dead I look over and Boone is still murderin' somethin. Eventually it becomes quiet, well over a dozen dead. I loot my spoils and sneak away towards the airfield. I hear fighting nearby, and slowly make my way towards it.

That's when I stepped on the mine. I explode in first person because I am using NVAC one of my all time favorite mods. Every time I look down and see my outfit it feels loving great. Basically NVAC repositions the third person camera in a very clever way to give you the ability to look down and see your body. You can still go into third person mode like normal, in fact you won't even notice anything is different except now you have legs. It sounds like it wouldn't add that much, but it so loving does.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 27, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Oh for sure IWS is amazing with a higher level character. I had IWS cranked right up with my LVL40 character, it just seems over the top for low level characters. You don't really have any areas to go that are reasonable for a level 2 or 3 character.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh for sure IWS is amazing with a higher level character.

I'm level 12 :colbert: I also pumped my lockpicking and science and medicine and stuff for skill checks, virtually ignoring combat stats. Alls I'm sayin is, it can be done.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a limit on numbered saves? I prune regularly but at the rate CASM is going (>100 at level 13) I worry it'll cross 1000 before I finish the game.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does Lombard have a way of sorting all your weapons onto the walls? I can select each wall individually but I can't find an inventory dump option for weapons like there is for armour.

Also for The Armoury, do I need 2.5 and 2.9 WIP? Or just 2.9 WIP?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a limit on numbered saves? I prune regularly but at the rate CASM is going (>100 at level 13) I worry it'll cross 1000 before I finish the game.

I'm pretty sure you can set a hard limit on the number of saves CASM cycles through? Are you using MCM?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Shumagorath posted:

CASM auto-deletes old auto-saves so you should never have more than... I think 20 autosaves by default. Don't worry about it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I'm having a problem where sometimes when I go to loot things, the game will sort of hang for a few seconds. I assume it's probably something to do with levelled lists and such, any pointers for troubleshooting certain things with FNVedit or what have you?

This is my load order right now:

quote:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
Factions Reloaded - Merge.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esm
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
Gomorrah Redesigned.esp
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esm
Companion Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
WME - GRA.esm
WME - DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
RobCo Certified.esm
Afterschool Special.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
oHUD.esm
Run the Lucky 38.esm
jsawyer.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM with MCM.esp
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
Better Game Performance.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp
Project Nevada - All DLC.esp
FOOK-PN Convergence.esp
SignatureWeapons.esp
RobCo Certified Friendly Hit Fixer.esp
1nivVSLArmors.esp
Cass alternate version.esp
Pacersgambit.esp
SignatureArmor.esp
outsidebets.esp
avangraffscorned.esp
athornysituation.esp
rotfacetoriches.esp
betsybrahmin.esp
awilderwasteland.esp
Goodsprings Reborn.esp
Novac Reborn.esp
Primm Reborn.esp
GS-AWOP-Patch.esp
NV_STTraitsandPerks_Crunch - NVSE.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esp
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
Project Nevada - WME.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE Convergence.esp
FOOK-PN-AWOP Weapon Convergence.esp
FOOK-PN-JSawyer CP.esp
FOOK-PN Spice.esp
FOOK-NVR3 CP.esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting - Full.esp
AG Supplementary Uniques-AllInOne.esp
AG Supplementary Uniques-GRA.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
Better Casinos.esp
ILO - A World of Pain.esp
The Lucky 38 Empire.esp
Merge Patch.esp

Been quite a while since I've modded new vegas so there's probably something obvious I'm missing. I've run LOOT a few times and put Convergence in the right place (I think)

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not an expert, but I don't think you should be using YUP. I'm always very cautious of "bugfix" mods. Especially when you're using convergence with something like FOOK, which is partially a bugfix mod.

I also noticed this: Run the Lucky 38.esm

I'd never heard of it so I looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun. Has anyone tried it?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 27, 2015