Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
it is a mammoth mammoth

Anyway the other Amplitude 4X games have given each faction a small number of unit types, but allowed a lot of customisation of them. It'll be interesting to see how this will play out in a civ-shaped game, particularly now that we've gotten used to cuirassiers and pike-and-shot and compound bows and other niche-fillers.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Game looks fuckin gorgeous. I am not psyched about Endless Legend combat (though I love AoW combat, so who knows?) and am not entirely sold on the mix-and-match civilization theme, but I'll likely end up getting it for that reason alone.

Yeah, the theme's going to be interesting: Amplitude games have always been notable for their crazy faction lore, and in EL they went out of their way to break as many stereotypes as possible. So the elves are the industrialists and the pain cultists are great at science and the vampires are chivalrous. It will be veeeeery interesting to see how that approach gels with actual real-world cultures. (Particularly since Amplitude are French and have a rather caustic sense of humour regarding politics a lot of the time....)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I think I'd be the same. I'm glad auto-resolve exists.

Is there much complexity to auto-resolve in how it works, in Endless Legend?

EL's unit equipment loadouts can give pretty massive bonuses against particular unit types, the flanking bonuses are huge, and there's lots of abilities like corpse-consumption or increased attack power with distance travelled that benefit greatly from micro-managing. So auto-resolving can potentially really hurt you if the battle odds are near even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Fingers crossed they won't bring over the single-player simultaneous turns.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Krazyface posted:

Fingers crossed they won't bring over the single-player simultaneous turns.
Endless Space 1 was hideous in the regard, but in EL it was barely noticible at all (practically identical to turn-based imo since the AI took all its actions instantly at turn start and left you to putter at your own pace). ES2 fixed the abuse in ES1, so frankly "Simultaneous turns in a Civ game" is now a good selling point imo.

Pyromancer posted:

[...]Pretty sure most people hated Endless Legend's combat because there really was almost nothing to it but damage and hitpoints, nothing you could tactically mastermind to improve much on autoresolve result, so why even bother.

Tree Bucket posted:

[...]So auto-resolving can potentially really hurt you if the battle odds are near even.
Yea I'm sorry Pyromancer but I feel you're wrong on that one; EL's combat totally has landslide victories for marginally higher xp/tech units, which you should be free to AutoResolve, but for anything resembling a close fight the returns on smart positioning and microing units for turn order is a really big thing. Critical for early game wars.

But this is the Civ thread so back to the new game, err, "Humankind". (They need a better title?). It's totally gorgeous and has taken the better parts of Civ5&6's together, and I'm totally hoping that they ripped off Civ6's "destacking of cities" although it's hard to tell in the shots. And we can totally hope for a good AI, and a pony and world peace while we're at it. The past five years have really soured me on getting hyped for new titles so I guess I'll be seeing the steam reviews after release before I get invested. Kinda like Planetfall; I liked AoW3, but I'm so jaded now that all I thought was "Planetfall looks to AoW3 like Civ:BE looked to Civ5, and this is killing any enthusiasm I have for it" and then Boom, it's released to mediocre Stream reviews. So yea, it's cool Humankind is coming with a Civ contender, but I think we should just wait a tick.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What I've always wanted to see in these types of games is a difference in 'wars'. Right now, there's all-out total war or peace. I want a game that knows the difference between border skirmishes, encroachments, invasions, ... and an AI that recognizes that difference as well.

And actual rebellions, revolutions and civil wars.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Planet fall has some teething issues but it’s nowhere near as flawed as Beyond Earth. It’s obviously not as good as AoW3 since that game had two expansions and several massive patches based on user feedback, but I’d rank it as better than AoW3 at release, which is a high mark.

It was always going to get mediocre steam reviews because it’s a genre switch from its predecessor, and it’s a new release which can’t compete with the years of aftercare afforded to AoW3.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

John F Bennett posted:

What I've always wanted to see in these types of games is a difference in 'wars'. Right now, there's all-out total war or peace. I want a game that knows the difference between border skirmishes, encroachments, invasions, ... and an AI that recognizes that difference as well.

And actual rebellions, revolutions and civil wars.

I think you'd like the Endless games. "Cold War" is the default where you can fight each other in neutral territory (and in ES2, doing so is considered rude), and you need a formal war dec to be able to fight someone in their territory. Sins of a Solar empire also did excellent diplomacy gradients, but that's a RTS and probably outside your interest.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah it's impressive that civ 6 has about 10 different types of war but they're all basically the same.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah it's impressive that civ 6 has about 10 different types of war but they're all basically the same.

Yep, Im new to the game but the only difference between all those types of wars seems to be the warmonger score you get, which is mostly irrelevant

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Endless Space 1 was hideous in the regard, but in EL it was barely noticible at all (practically identical to turn-based imo since the AI took all its actions instantly at turn start and left you to putter at your own pace). ES2 fixed the abuse in ES1, so frankly "Simultaneous turns in a Civ game" is now a good selling point imo.

Yea I'm sorry Pyromancer but I feel you're wrong on that one; EL's combat totally has landslide victories for marginally higher xp/tech units, which you should be free to AutoResolve, but for anything resembling a close fight the returns on smart positioning and microing units for turn order is a really big thing. Critical for early game wars.

But this is the Civ thread so back to the new game, err, "Humankind". (They need a better title?). It's totally gorgeous and has taken the better parts of Civ5&6's together, and I'm totally hoping that they ripped off Civ6's "destacking of cities" although it's hard to tell in the shots. And we can totally hope for a good AI, and a pony and world peace while we're at it. The past five years have really soured me on getting hyped for new titles so I guess I'll be seeing the steam reviews after release before I get invested. Kinda like Planetfall; I liked AoW3, but I'm so jaded now that all I thought was "Planetfall looks to AoW3 like Civ:BE looked to Civ5, and this is killing any enthusiasm I have for it" and then Boom, it's released to mediocre Stream reviews. So yea, it's cool Humankind is coming with a Civ contender, but I think we should just wait a tick.

The main advantage in manually resolving combat is that the AI is poo poo and easily exploitable, so you could win fights you shouldn't be able to by kiting enemies around with ranged attacks etc.

Endless Legend did the destacking cities thing before Civ 6, although it was much simpler. So I'd be very surprised if Humankind reverts to single point cities.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Endless Legend did the destacking cities thing before Civ 6, although it was much simpler. So I'd be very surprised if Humankind reverts to single point cities.

yeah that's still in, if you look at that trailer you can see later developed cities with lots of tiles with buildings radiating out of the main tile

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The main advantage in manually resolving combat is that the AI is poo poo and easily exploitable, so you could win fights you shouldn't be able to by kiting enemies around with ranged attacks etc.

The trailer shows EL-type cities spanning multiple contiguous hexes. So no, they're not reverting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Fine I'll make the thread. Title suggestions?

Also: Endless Legend had single-tile "minor faction" villages - I wonder if the devs are going to bring that over as their version of city-states, or try something new?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Humankind: Someone Else's Civilization V

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

It was also a lot loving better than "well what should I put on this tile? let me consult the necronomicon to figure out the optimal thing to put here that will let me build the things i want near it still".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Well, duh? I'm not sure how that's at odds with what I said? Someone said the AutoResolve could substitute anything the human could do, I disagreed and said you can get good returns on unit control, and you're reaffirming that yes the AI can be easily outplayed with simple tricks. Everyone wins!
Unless you want to lose, because you like smart AIs playing optimally. Then might I suggest Smart Kobolds to the discerning masochist?

edit: vv my bad

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Serephina posted:

Well, duh? I'm not sure how that's at odds with what I said? Someone said the AutoResolve could substitute anything the human could do, I disagreed and said you can get good returns on unit control, and you're reaffirming that yes the AI can be easily outplayed with simple tricks. Everyone wins!
Unless you want to lose, because you like smart AIs playing optimally. Then might I suggest Smart Kobolds to the discerning masochist?

I think he was quoting to agree with you, not argue with you, no need to get defensive

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Humankind: I am fond of pigs

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think he was quoting to agree with you, not argue with you, no need to get defensive

yeah I was just clarifying that the advantage in manual resolving is mostly the bad AI, and not so much the million fiddly combat statistics and modifiers (god I hope they learned their lesson on that.)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Humankind: Very Large Mammoths

It should be this though:

Krazyface posted:

Humankind: Someone Else's Civilization V

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 21, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Humankind: You have met a new Civilization (and it looks better)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Humankind: Hopefully with less Religion

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Humankind : Now this is podracing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Humankind: “It’s Civ, Sid, but not as we know it”.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Humankind: 1 Mammoth Per Tile

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Humankind : "Our mammoths are just passing through"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
OK I made the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896939

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bravo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally got Gathering Storm, and boy Im glad I waited for a good sale (75% off), or I would have asked for a refund

I found the world congress is even more stupid than people here had told me, and that "diplomacy points" mechanic is dumb and annoying. After half a game with this thing on, I want to know if there's a way to disable it completely

The disasters are too frequent (normal setting) and dont add much to the gameplay, imo.

I kinda like what they did to resources, but Im not sure yet. Seems poorly balanced, like, 20 iron for a single swordman seems excessive, for example

I liked the new civs, and new wonders and stuff, but that alone is not nearly worth the price of admission

I like Civ 6 probably more than most here, but GS has to be the most disappointing civ expansion ever

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 26, 2019

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Finally got Gathering Storm, and boy Im glad I waited for a good sale (75% off), or I would have asked for a refund

I found the world congress is even more stupid than people here had told me, and that "diplomacy points" mechanic is dumb and annoying. After half a game with this thing on, I want to know if there's a way to disable it completely

The disasters are too frequent (normal setting) and dont add much to the gameplay, imo.

I kinda like what they did to resources, but Im not sure yet. Seems poorly balanced, like, 20 iron for a single swordman seems excessive, for example

I liked the new civs, and new wonders and stuff, but that alone is not nearly worth the price of admission

I like Civ 6 probably more than most here, but GS has to be the most disappointing civ expansion ever

I agree Diplomacy sucks — I say that mostly after getting to 9/10 my one playthrough as Canada and getting voted down several times.

But I love the weather dynamics! The disasters themselves don't really punish you too much, though I do love blowing up other Civs' dams. Climate change does definitely change the way I play though. If I'm heavy on coastal cities, I'll try and consciously sidestep coal power plants to prevent flooding. But if I'm big on the interior of a continent, I'll belch greenhouse gases like there's no tomorrow to flood everybody else.

I actually have a hard time doing the latter sometimes because I'll feel bad about polluting in a vidya game.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Planet fall has some teething issues but it’s nowhere near as flawed as Beyond Earth. It’s obviously not as good as AoW3 since that game had two expansions and several massive patches based on user feedback, but I’d rank it as better than AoW3 at release, which is a high mark.

It was always going to get mediocre steam reviews because it’s a genre switch from its predecessor, and it’s a new release which can’t compete with the years of aftercare afforded to AoW3.

I think it's also been hurt by the fact that AoWs seems to be considered a 4x now, so people go in expecting Civ rather than a more HoMM style. Though I guess Planetfall also leaned into that?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I loved Civ V but I didn't really jump in on Civ VI until recently, and uh... what the gently caress is going on with barbarians? Even on Prince they're overwhelming right off the bat. I've been swarmed by spearmen and horse archers before I could even build a second slinger.

I feel like turning them off entirely would be against the "spirit" of the thing, but are there any mods that make them less immediately annoying? Or am I supposed to just spend the first 50-75 turns building nothing but military units so I can actually fight back a little bit?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If a barb scout spots your city, he'll get a notification above his head and try to run back to the barb camp and spawn an army. Early slingers (multiple!) are very solid, doubly so since civ6 scouts are pathetic at their job. As in, your first 2-3 things upon founding are slingers and then go scout with them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What difficulty you are playing on?

On prince and king I never had much trouble with barbarians, and I usually stick with the starting warrior and a slinger until the medieval era

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Serephina posted:

If a barb scout spots your city, he'll get a notification above his head and try to run back to the barb camp and spawn an army. Early slingers (multiple!) are very solid, doubly so since civ6 scouts are pathetic at their job. As in, your first 2-3 things upon founding are slingers and then go scout with them.

Yep. VI wants you to be really aggressive at beating back the barbs. They're honestly not that much of a problem so long as you stay on top of them, but if you don't you are going to get clobbered.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Harrow posted:

I loved Civ V but I didn't really jump in on Civ VI until recently, and uh... what the gently caress is going on with barbarians? Even on Prince they're overwhelming right off the bat. I've been swarmed by spearmen and horse archers before I could even build a second slinger.

I feel like turning them off entirely would be against the "spirit" of the thing, but are there any mods that make them less immediately annoying? Or am I supposed to just spend the first 50-75 turns building nothing but military units so I can actually fight back a little bit?
Just clear the camps asap. Go for the +dmg vs. Barbs when you get code of laws and a single warrior can take out a barb spearman.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just clear the camps asap. Go for the +dmg vs. Barbs when you get code of laws and a single warrior can take out a barb spearman.

Or the warrior weaken it to the point it won't leave camp, where it can be killed by a slinger for the tech boost.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Harrow posted:

Get the Yet (not) Another Map pack, one of its features lets you change the turn barbarians start spawning, I set it to 20, barbarians still cause a small amount of havoc but not enough to ruin the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

on the horse archer note, barb camps that spawn a certain number of tiles near horses can start spewing out horseman and horse archers early

it's incredibly annoying

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This discussion is weird to me, Im playing normally, no mods, Im new to the game (only 5 games so far, 2 on prince, 3 on king), and never once I had much trouble with barbarians

I dont think they are more dangerous than in Civ 5 at all

Maybe Im lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I might just be having a hard time getting into Civ 6 in general. I've won a couple games on Prince but I still don't feel like I can entirely wrap my head around the number of things the game wants me to keep track of (like adjacency bonuses, loyalty, placing districts in a way that lets you build wonders adjacent to them, how many cities to settle, etc.). I got bored of always going tall in Civ 5 but it seems like in Civ 6 you really need to go wide ASAP or you're going to run out of places to settle.

I think I'm supposed to conquer my closest neighbor as early as possible but I have a hard time balancing building settlers/builders with building up a military big enough to actually pull that off.