Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sexpig by night posted:

Was she the one who basically just agreed with that professor who said it was kinda reductive because it just focused on saying 'hey, Jim Crow was bad, right? Well this is JUST LIKE IT' without actually providing actionable solutions deeper than 'we all agree literal Jim Crow and slavery was a bad thing right? So we shouldn't do that!"

I hate this take because it's the same bullshit centrists/conservatives do with "How are you going to pay for it?" and "It is really pragmatic?" A person should not have to come up with fully costed, detailed plans to replace a system just to point out that it's bad.

vvvv That too, it's shocking how little most white people know about the "justice system". vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gynocentric Regime posted:

I hate this take because it's the same bullshit centrists/conservatives do with "How are you going to pay for it?" and "It is really pragmatic?" A person should not have to come up with fully costed, detailed plans to replace a system just to point out that it's bad.

Amber's cool but she kinda falls into the academic trap of sometimes forgetting 'maybe the american justice system is inherently evil' is an actual major revelation on its own to people and it's ok to make books and poo poo that exist as easy to digest...ugh...'red pill moments'....for people as their main goal.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

I've found it, the best account

https://twitter.com/dogeinist/status/1039998095113650176

It's like Nazi dril

Master Humpington

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Any Boston-area folks want to go to the show at The Wilbur tonight? I have a couple of tickets, but I can't go. :doh:

I'm willing to let them go for free rather than see them go to waste.

e: gone

Insanite fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 15, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynocentric Regime posted:

vvvv That too, it's shocking how little most white people know about the "justice system". vvv

i dont see how that is the same argument. understanding instatutional racesm is bad is important but exploring soulitions and imagining a better world is important. thats not the same as demanding a point based plan to end racism now.

I mean pointing out that "thing bad" is useful to some extent, but if you get people who agree asking you what to do, just admit if you don't know and step aside.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OmanyteJackson posted:

i dont see how that is the same argument. understanding instatutional racesm is bad is important but exploring soulitions and imagining a better world is important. thats not the same as demanding a point based plan to end racism now.

I mean pointing out that "thing bad" is useful to some extent, but if you get people who agree asking you what to do, just admit if you don't know and step aside.

the main issue is New Jim Crow never sells itself as anything but a primer and that's what it does. I think criticizing people for treating it kinda like some kinda anti-racist bible is fair but that's not really on the writer.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

the main issue is New Jim Crow never sells itself as anything but a primer and that's what it does. I think criticizing people for treating it kinda like some kinda anti-racist bible is fair but that's not really on the writer.

that's a problem though. If a doctor tells you you have cancer he doesn't walk out the door, he gives you treatment options or at least a referral.

Addressing problems with no solutions tends to just cause people to accept the problem as a new normal and sucks away any potential activist energy.

I've only read the first couple chapters of The New Jim Crow, but if it doesn't at least refer you to further reading that suggests doing anything than it's basicly no better than last weekend tonight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's a chapter at the end of the book about what needs to be done but it focuses on the criminal justice/police state apparatus which i think is their problem with it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OmanyteJackson posted:

that's a problem though. If a doctor tells you you have cancer he doesn't walk out the door, he gives you treatment options or at least a referral.

Addressing problems with no solutions tends to just cause people to accept the problem as a new normal and sucks away any potential activist energy.

I've only read the first couple chapters of The New Jim Crow, but if it doesn't at least refer you to further reading that suggests doing anything than it's basicly no better than last weekend tonight.

right but again the book isn't really ever selling itself as a 'doctor' it's more like the 'living with cancer' pamphlet you get. It has some basic 'tips' like 'maybe things like quotas for cops is bad and the war on drugs was entirely crafted through the lens of 'we gotta keep those negroes and mexicans from corrupting our babies' so maybe don't support that nonsense.' but it's really meant to be a book for the kinda people who sit down with it going 'so just what IS racist in our justice system, I thought justice meant fair!'

Like, to make the most online comparison ever but it's literally the first one I got, it's like how some people look at stuff like Tropes vs Women in Games and go 'this is a really basic, shallow, video series'. They're not wrong, but it was explicitly made as a very feminism 101 kinda thing where the main agenda is just explaining how storytelling can be influenced by prejudices and all, it's not really a 'here's how to fix sexism in video games' thing.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
thats probably the worst comparison though. i don't think there is a single person online who didn't understand what a damsel is and came away with a new understanding of sexism in games.

the most common response when I talked to my freinds about this was "well what do you want me to do?" then disengage with the whole thing.

back to the medical analogy, those arn't helpful tips, it's just another part of a dianosis with no treatment plan. it doesn't even have to be revolutionary, start with orginizing locally, contact a fellon, any action.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it’s a good book.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OmanyteJackson posted:

thats probably the worst comparison though. i don't think there is a single person online who didn't understand what a damsel is and came away with a new understanding of sexism in games.

the most common response when I talked to my freinds about this was "well what do you want me to do?" then disengage with the whole thing.

back to the medical analogy, those arn't helpful tips, it's just another part of a dianosis with no treatment plan. it doesn't even have to be revolutionary, start with orginizing locally, contact a fellon, any action.

It's more like explaining what cancer is than a diagnosis but this analogy is poo poo and so is the idea that you always have to have a solution and a goal beyond"make people realize poo poo is hosed up and bullshit"

Getting people to pay attention is a worthy goal in and of itself!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also tropes vswomen was only a couple years removed from poo poo like lf explaining to gbs what institutional racism and white privilege are, "everyone was onboard in 2011 already" is a banana pepper of a take

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it’s a good book.

Exactly. I'd also say that the book, and what it says is more in line with academic legal writing, but in a far more palatable form for mass audiences. Every section is stays rather close to issue/rule/analysis/conclusion, as Alexander was likely trained on as a law student, and has practiced her entire legal career. Alexander is not going to go out and make any grand statements other than writing persuasively, because that is not what legal writing is.

This poo poo is boring, who cares.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're all right. Most people aren't woke, it's important to actually explain that things suck. But, yeah, you can't just point out that things suck, there needs to be action items, and a vision of a better world. But, the audience for people so unwoke that "the justice system is bad" is a thing they need to be introduced to isn't going to accept "so do full revolution now" as an action item. End minimum sentences, end the drug war, restore the franchise to felons, those are all very good action items that should happen and would make the world a better place, even if they fall short of dropping nuclear bombs on Manhattan and Martha's Vineyard. And, most importantly, tropes vs women was bad because it was videos of a boring woman reading a TVtropes page to camera.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're all right. Most people aren't woke, it's important to actually explain that things suck. But, yeah, you can't just point out that things suck, there needs to be action items, and a vision of a better world. But, the audience for people so unwoke that "the justice system is bad" is a thing they need to be introduced to isn't going to accept "so do full revolution now" as an action item. End minimum sentences, end the drug war, restore the franchise to felons, those are all very good action items that should happen and would make the world a better place, even if they fall short of dropping nuclear bombs on Manhattan and Martha's Vineyard. And, most importantly, tropes vs women was bad because it was videos of a boring woman reading a TVtropes page to camera.

We are talking about two separate audiences. There are people who are already aware of racism in america but cannot articulate it, for them understanding that poo poo's bad is a given, they just want to know why and how to fix it.

Then there are people who aren't aware of racism at all and chances are likely won't buy a book titled The New Jim Crow.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

lol how do you consistently have the dumbest takes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OmanyteJackson posted:

We are talking about two separate audiences. There are people who are already aware of racism in america but cannot articulate it, for them understanding that poo poo's bad is a given, they just want to know why and how to fix it.

Then there are people who aren't aware of racism at all and chances are likely won't buy a book titled The New Jim Crow.

No you're dumb. There's more than just "already knows everything" and "doesn't give a poo poo"

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

No you're dumb. There's more than just "already knows everything" and "doesn't give a poo poo"

you somehow got the exact opposite point of what I was saying.

I didn't say they had to know everything, I said is aware. The same way somone can have the feeling that their job is lovely but can't articulate a critique of capitalism. Just as something like chapo is helpful for somone to get over that hump for capitalism, New Jim Crow could be helpful for better articulating the harms of racism.

TetsuoTW posted:

lol how do you consistently have the dumbest takes

I mean a series of videos on introductory feminist analysis of media is a great idea... Tropes vs Women was just not good though. :shrug:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

das kapital sucks. it just talks about how capitalism works without providing a solution!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The idea that anyone who have something to say about anything should also act as an educator is silly.

There's room for other types of expression, and even if you feel strongly that it would be more helpful if everything was educational not all people fit well into that role, and would perhaps even do more harm than good if they tried.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biomute posted:

The idea that anyone who have something to say about anything should also act as an educator is silly.

There's room for other types of expression, and even if you feel strongly that it would be more helpful if everything was educational not all people fit well into that role, and would perhaps even do more harm than good if they tried.

Well yeah, i mean if you don't want to educate people then you don't have to educate them. But if your going to start explaining this stuff to people, you gotta go the whole way.

R. Guyovich posted:

das kapital sucks. it just talks about how capitalism works without providing a solution!

If you wanted to convince somone that capitalism is bad would the first book you'd give them be Das Kapital?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't see why a book can't just explain a problem. i don't think slavery by another name or blackwater have plans to fix the problem they explain but they're still good books.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The books aren't the problem, it's just the role they serve in the culture economy is to provide catharsis for 'the good white people' first and radical cultural change last. People talk up awareness like it's the endgame and not just the very first step in any movement and it's just loving sad.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

OmanyteJackson posted:

The books aren't the problem, it's just the role they serve in the culture economy is to provide catharsis for 'the good white people' first and radical cultural change last. People talk up awareness like it's the endgame and not just the very first step in any movement and it's just loving sad.

Cool, go enact some radical cultural change then, if you're going to start explaining this stuff to people, you gotta go the whole way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

OmanyteJackson posted:

If you wanted to convince somone that capitalism is bad would the first book you'd give them be Das Kapital?

i'd probably show them your posts

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biomute posted:

Cool, go enact some radical cultural change then, if you're going to start explaining this stuff to people, you gotta go the whole way.

As soon as I get that book deal I'll be right on it. Till then I'll just post from the sidelines while drinking and taking antidepressants

Phone posted:

i'd probably show them your posts

aw, thanks dude.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/rmpl01/status/1041167683683794945?s=19

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
my fired????

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Sephyr posted:

US politics are like a train.

This is why we post

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Anyone go to the Pawtucket, RI show last night? I was kind of disappointed. They talked about Brett Kavanaugh's pervert friend Mark Judge for a bit which was funny but then they spent almost a whole hour on this unfunny shtick about how H.P. Lovecraft was the original right-wing incel shitposter and it just kind of dragged. Was the Boston show any better? I figured the Lovecraft stuff was just for our show since he's a local historical figure.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Whom among us cannot enjoy a pummeled cadaverous equine?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Anytime Matt does a foreign accent bit it makes me want to never listen to the show again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

papa horny michael posted:

Anytime Matt does a foreign accent bit it makes me want to never listen to the show again.

Another offended Irishman, mad at Matt's extremely on point accent.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

some of matt's mock accents are pretty good, his scottish is pretty accurate, can't do an australian one to save his life though

though I've never heard an american that can anyway

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

cat doter posted:

some of matt's mock accents are pretty good, his scottish is pretty accurate, can't do an australian one to save his life though

though I've never heard an american that can anyway

Honestly Nick Mullen's Australian accent is alright. Not convincing, but more consistent and less outdated than the usual.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Male Tears posted:

Anyone go to the Pawtucket, RI show last night? I was kind of disappointed. They talked about Brett Kavanaugh's pervert friend Mark Judge for a bit which was funny but then they spent almost a whole hour on this unfunny shtick about how H.P. Lovecraft was the original right-wing incel shitposter and it just kind of dragged. Was the Boston show any better? I figured the Lovecraft stuff was just for our show since he's a local historical figure.

A recent episode of Struggle Session had Will on and they specifically talked about Lovecraft the whole episode and it was pretty good. Maybe it’s not as interesting when Felix tries to tie in Fortnite or whatever :shrug:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Honestly Nick Mullen's Australian accent is alright. Not convincing, but more consistent and less outdated than the usual.

is there an example I'm not really a cum boy

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

papa horny michael posted:

Same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
most american's aussie accents are very good south african ones