Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah Cho'Gall seems wildly ineffective in league play - his skillshots are fairly easy to dodge and he's a damage magnet. I get that people want to make it work, but he just lost to a 3 warrior comp, his team was stuck defending him all game. They literally didn't get a single tick on the Braxis beacons, and the event fired four or five times. Unless HHE dedicates a lot of time to making him work as a last-two pick with a comp that doesn't give it away ahead of time, I don't think it will without buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I wouldn't mind seeing Cho'Gall buffed to make him feasible in TL, but to compensate Blizz could alter QM to allow the opposing team to mulligan their hero choice in response to matching against Cho'Gall (or other co-op heroes we might see in the future).

Also where the gently caress is that new Blizzard Classic character, dammit. Gimmie a Fang skin for Greymane, at least.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cho'gall's damage is fine, but they suffer from being too easily focused. I feel like Cho'gall would benefit the most from moving the bomb roll/detonation to be entirely under Gall's control and adding a new defensive ability to Cho. Maybe make Molten Block baseline?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm let's just play a couple rounds of qm. Oh look, some rear end in a top hat cheesing with a chogall comp. Nerf chogall into the ground imho

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I agree with the spoiler, it’s just Garrosh and Whitemain are uniquely disappointing, Garrosh moreso. Whitemain’s big iconic moment is literally resurrecting her champion in the middle of a fight to protect her, and this kit has 0 of that. It could even just be that the damage ult is animated with a scarlet crusade Paladin dashing all over to hit enemies and it would work.

Garrosh is worse because his actual WOW character was being the Orc who supported heavy industrialisation of warfare, and the only one who drank the heart of an Old God and remained in control of himself.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’ve seen that before and it still feels weak as a justification, if you can’t put her most iconic moment in the game maybe you should not be using her for this kit.

Also I think making the damage ult animation be more interesting than a glowing golden ball would be a good thing and you can use her summoning the dude as how she casts it. So it isn’t a pet just a fancy animation like Cassia’s Valkyrie thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
What's funny is that in the BfA cinematic Anduin does this huge AOE heal thing which basically seems like her big AOE ult. So they kind of jumped through hoops to make Whitemane work when they really didn't have to.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I think making the damage ult animation be more interesting than a glowing golden ball would be a good thing and you can use her summoning the dude as how she casts it. So it isn’t a pet just a fancy animation like Cassia’s Valkyrie thing.

I'm not gonna defend the damage ball as some super cool FX, but replacing it with a dude would have ramifications for teamfight clarity and intuitiveness.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ChickenHeart posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Cho'Gall buffed to make him feasible in TL, but to compensate Blizz could alter QM to allow the opposing team to mulligan their hero choice in response to matching against Cho'Gall (or other co-op heroes we might see in the future).

Also where the gently caress is that new Blizzard Classic character, dammit. Gimmie a Fang skin for Greymane, at least.
Cho'gall wasn't just viable in TL. He basically ruined TL and has had a 60% winrate there for as long as I can remember (with a 10 percent popularity). He'll still be very viable at most levels of TL for the foreseeable future without surging dash.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Garroshs kit is perfect for him because he's a huge heel that will ruin your poo poo and people love to hate him.
He is also one of the few characters that can completely screw over one of his allies.

It's a perfect translation. They captured the spirit of the character, just not his moves.

The worst characters are those that are way too insistent on having their respective games directly translated into a genre that is ill-suited for these effects: The obnoxious Overwatch Assassins that just have features upon features shoved into their basic kit, making Blizzard endlessly gently caress with their numbers until a semblance of balance can be achieved.

I do agree that parts of Whitemanes kit are boring though.
Maybe her numbers and waveclear are good enough to bring back some dual support gameplay?
Looking forward to trying her out in any case. The great support purge has left me wanting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I said the same thing about Fenix when he came out :v:

Mierenneuker posted:

Looks like he'll be worse than Lunaara at launch!

But at least he'll be easy to learn, that's a relieve.

Turns out everything but "complexity" should have been maxed out for launch Fenix!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’ve seen that before and it still feels weak as a justification, if you can’t put her most iconic moment in the game maybe you should not be using her for this kit.

I used to not care, but nowadays I'm honestly in the same camp. Blizzard has no fear of making up characters whole-cloth to match class fantasies (see: any of the Nephalem) or unit fantasies (see: any of the SCII generics), so I'd honestly rather see characters with unique and iconic moments made into their own thing.

I'm still futilely waiting for the day that Blizzard makes Jimmy an entirely new kit and shuffles his current one on to S76.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Whitemane should've been Putress Eranikus.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lei shen when

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hmm let's just play a couple rounds of qm. Oh look, some rear end in a top hat cheesing with a chogall comp. Nerf chogall into the ground imho

Nerf chromie into the ground first , she can cheese QM and terrorize HL

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
I'm excited for horny priestess and I find it funny how many people are getting their poo poo in a twist about 'thenatic design' in a game stuffed with characters who do nothing close to their original counterparts. Mmm, yes, remember when Deckard Cain used his classic lorenado in Diablo 2? What a great moment they have forever captured in HotS, amen.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Erik should have a baseline jump and no way to deal damage other than charging into the enemy and losing a third of his HP, as the old blizzard gods intended

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirSamVimes posted:

lei shen when

I like to believe they’re holding Lei Shen back until they can get Jim Cummings back in the studio to do his reveal trailer

HIS NAME:
LEI SHEN
DA TUNDA KING

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macaluso posted:

I like to believe they’re holding Lei Shen back until they can get Jim Cummings back in the studio to do his reveal trailer

HIS NAME:
LEI SHEN
DA TUNDA KING

Only if he does it in his Pooh voice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurieg posted:

Only if he does it in his Pooh voice.

Consider this: official Winnie the Pooh HOTS announcer

"They're attacking the core! Oh bother"

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013
Something interesting that was picked up on about Whitemane, it seems like her Q's the only skill she has that consumes mana. That already makes her a lot more interesting than just another healbot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Geckoagua posted:

I'm excited for horny priestess and I find it funny how many people are getting their poo poo in a twist about 'thenatic design' in a game stuffed with characters who do nothing close to their original counterparts. Mmm, yes, remember when Deckard Cain used his classic lorenado in Diablo 2? What a great moment they have forever captured in HotS, amen.

Deckard had become a Diablo meme so they turned him into a character with a meme kit, basically. Both of his ults are literally jokes turned into actual abilities. The fact that he has only really existed for giving the player exposition (lore) and the fact that he is a long winded grandpa talking your ear off when you just want to go fight things. Wasn't he also an April Fool's HotS joke as well?

That said, like with any healer, I'll check her out when she is on rotation or something. I don't much play support anyway, so it doesn't affect me much.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I'm just sort of afraid it'll be another Malfurion where if you can spin the plates of keeping the buff up and staying in range to do damage while still keeping yourself safe, you're golden.

Can't do all of that? You kinda suck now, sorry.

Malfurion is like, one of the most wrongfully labeled 'difficulties' since his rework.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macaluso posted:

(Player disconnects from the game)"They say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

NameHurtBrain posted:

I'm just sort of afraid it'll be another Malfurion where if you can spin the plates of keeping the buff up and staying in range to do damage while still keeping yourself safe, you're golden.

Malfurion is like, one of the most wrongfully labeled 'difficulties' since his rework.

Yeah... Malf is weird for me. I "get" how he works, and it "seems" cool to me, but he also seems like way more effort than I would normally want to put into playing a support, especially since it isn't easy for him to do what he needs to be doing. Also the lovely misclicking regrowth when your team is clumped up or someone is basically dry humping you for heals. Whitemane seems like a cross between Malf and Auriel so I dunno how down for that I am going to be.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

NameHurtBrain posted:

I think she'll be exactly that: really strong in practiced hands but garbage in lower leagues. So I predict like a 40% win rate at launch unless they massively over tune her.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think the laser heal talent is their attempt at avoiding Malf's high skill cap plate juggling by giving less skilled players an out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

I think she'll be exactly that: really strong in practiced hands but garbage in lower leagues. So I predict like a 40% win rate at launch unless they massively over tune her.

I suspect she'll be one that always has a large gulf in her win rate between leagues. And she looks complicated/involved enough that even high skill players will probably not do that great with her relative to other healers like Alex or Malf the first week or so even if she is equally effective in skilled hands.

Unless she's overtuned; it seems like Deckard was the only hero not needing a lot of tweaks right out of the gate in the last few releases.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

healing via lifesteal is always an iffy proposition but Her Royal Thighness has 100% aoe lifesteal across AAs and spell damage which is a pretty serious amount.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

healing via lifesteal is always an iffy proposition but Her Royal Thighness has 100% aoe lifesteal across AAs and spell damage which is a pretty serious amount.

She can heal for 145 with her Q, 318 with her W, and anywhere between 82 and a fuckton with her E. She'll be alright.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Geckoagua posted:

Lorenado is from Diablo 3.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I agree with the spoiler, it’s just Garrosh and Whitemain are uniquely disappointing, Garrosh moreso. Whitemain’s big iconic moment is literally resurrecting her champion in the middle of a fight to protect her, and this kit has 0 of that. It could even just be that the damage ult is animated with a scarlet crusade Paladin dashing all over to hit enemies and it would work.

Garrosh is worse because his actual WOW character was being the Orc who supported heavy industrialisation of warfare, and the only one who drank the heart of an Old God and remained in control of himself.

Forcing designs from other games doesn't work well, and the more annoying Overwatch heroes are evidence of that. Scarlet Aegis is clearly an homage to the mass res, while Garrosh is an angry orc grunt from the old Horde, which makes sense for him. The Old God stuff, which was just one expansion in WoW anyway, could be referenced with a skin.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, Lorenado is an April Fool's thing. I'm actually surprised the upgrade isn't to make it do actual damage.

I would have totally played an Archivist in D3 but I guess cosplaying Deckard doesn't really play into the game's power fantasy aspect.

That said, Deckard Cain is a fan favorite with no literal combat prowess, so they have to pull poo poo out of their rear end. I think the kit they gave him works pretty well for what theme he has, he's basically just throwing random poo poo he's collected over the years. He's not running on raw power, just cleverly using what he has. He's pretty much Scholar Batman in a way.

I'm trying to think of a similar character who could fit that label of fan favorite non-combatant, but most moderately popular characters in WoW have some sort of combat prowess, i don't know enough about Starcraft or Overwatch to really pull from that, and the only other character who comes to mind in Diablo notable enough and not really a warrior is Leah, whose combat abilities are: uselessly plink at enemy with bow.

Also being corrupted and turning into Diablo, but that niche is filled by...um, Diablo. And I'm not really hearing people clamoring for her anyway.

Blizzard seems to go on the idea that if a character gets popular, they have to kick rear end in some way.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Innkeeper from Hearthstone would be another "non-combatant", because everything would technically be a summoned from a card. Unless they turn him into Gambit/Twisted Fate and let the cards themselves do direct damage.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Arcturus Mengsk from SC and SC2 has no combat abilities (at least none that are shown in game), he's just a ruthless power-hungry politician. Fans have been talking about adding him for a while. I kinda hope they don't unless they make him another Abathur (which probably won't happen), but there's a popular non-combatant.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I will pay fat stacks of cash for this.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

NameHurtBrain posted:

I'm trying to think of a similar character who could fit that label of fan favorite non-combatant, but most moderately popular characters in WoW have some sort of combat prowess, i don't know enough about Starcraft or Overwatch to really pull from that, and the only other character who comes to mind in Diablo notable enough and not really a warrior is Leah, whose combat abilities are: uselessly plink at enemy with bow.

Depends on whether you mean someone who literally can't fight, or someone who is neither a player character or boss, but still presented as tough. I'm assuming the former, at any rate.

In Starcraft, medics don't have any form of attack, so that's Morales. And Abathur is a weird brain-slug who is basically the Zergish Folding@home. Her skills are about half-and-half straight from the game and new stuff that "makes sense" thematically. I think Aba might've been developed in tandem with the SC2 Co-op mode; in any case, he shares abilities with his source material.

I can think of a handful of non-combatants from each franchise that aren't in HotS. Again, mostly Starcraft's scientists & commanders. Overwatch probably has the least, to be honest. It'd be neat if Tracer had a skin based on her girlfriend, because in that reality they switched or whatever, but you couldn't build a kit for her as a Hero in her own right.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Kith posted:

I used to not care, but nowadays I'm honestly in the same camp. Blizzard has no fear of making up characters whole-cloth to match class fantasies (see: any of the Nephalem) or unit fantasies (see: any of the SCII generics), so I'd honestly rather see characters with unique and iconic moments made into their own thing.

I'm still futilely waiting for the day that Blizzard makes Jimmy an entirely new kit and shuffles his current one on to S76.

The problem is that by the dev team's own admission you can't really do the Resurrect Ult without it either being broken or garbage and considering the history of Mercy in Overwatch and Auriel's own useless resurrect, I'm willing to believe them.

I actually like it a lot when Blizzard either creates whole-cloth new characters like you mentioned, but I also dig the way the HOTS team is able to salvage thinly-written third-stringers like Dehaka, Gazlowe, and Rehgar and give them a life of their own. Whitemane is known for her hat first, the resurrect second, and then nothing really. Outside of Legion, where she becomes a Death Knight, she had the one line of dialog and maybe some backstory in some terrible comic that no one read and that was it. But they managed to spin her out into some vicious dominatrix weirdo with a haughty anime laugh, and that's cool too and feels natural and pretty consistent with the Scarlet Crusade since they're torture obsessed overly dramatic freaks.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 28, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
That's a new one. On Towers, the red team Ana used her ult to stop me from capping an altar for a good 15 seconds while the rest of her team finished some business elsewhere. Every time I almost had the cap, a single shot came in to interrupt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Thats actually pretty cool but I stand by the point that many characters have abilities that never actually made it into their published game.

Also I was thinking about it and Cain would've been better and more lore accurate if players had to right click him to heal or 'ID equipment' for temporary buffs :colbert: