Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

Nah, hope your stupid industry is deader than a door nail in a few years.

What steps in to take the place of community newspapers?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

sharkbomb posted:

Yeah, you're right.

I definitely heard way more about those people in Oregon that were killed standing up that deranged racist than i've heard about... any other murders (at least here in my bubble). Also, as I think about it, if there was ever some kind of attack that specifically targeted Christians in the US (i guess Egypt doesn't count?) it would result in months of government-sponsored hysteria. Mike Pence would be on TV in full battle rattle

True, Micah David-Cole Fletcher, the survivor from the stabbings has some very good words about the focus on them:

“We in Portland have this weird tendency to continue patterns that we’ve done forever, and one of them is this same old, just to put it bluntly, white savior complex,” he said. “Suffice to say, I think it’s immensely, immensely morally wrong and irresponsible how much money we have gotten as opposed to how much support, money, love, kindness, that has been given to that little girl.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/us/portland-stabbing-hero-victims.html

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Listen, when people talk about racists killing sikhs being worse than when muslims get killed there is a reason for that. It's worse because they accidently killed someone innocent right, someone that wasn't involved? unlike when they killed a muslim.

Even people that don't call themselves evil racists are subtly more into the idea that if the racist killed a muslim at least they got the right person, not "someone totally unrelated to terrorism". get it?

On some level, yes, i do prefer that a murder at least matter to the person committing it.

Would i have been less upset if the guy hit his intended target? IDK, probably not, but the emotional calculus wouldn't include also tragic irony.

I feel the same about Dylann Roof, Wade Michael Page, and Alexander Bisonette.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Just a quick question from a European. When did the term antifa start to appear in the US? Because this is the first time I am hearing it being used by you guys.

I mean I always thought antifa was more of a European thing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

how can you sift through this poo poo and not go insane

the dissonance it takes to get where this guy is at is astounding.

like, he's calling antifa fascists. that is a thing right now in the US. antifa are being called the real fascists.

maybe this is too much for sunday morning.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

skylined! posted:

the dissonance it takes to get where this guy is at is astounding.

like, he's calling antifa fascists. that is a thing right now in the US. antifa are being called the real fascists.

maybe this is too much for sunday morning.

why are you surprised, this is the same thing as "libruls are the real racists"

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Yeah, there's all this stuff about automation, and folks in this thread talking about it and being skeptical or unskeptical towards it
That doesn't seem to matter too much, at least to me. Why automation is in the press is because it's in the minds of journalists. Because they, of all the formerly-high-class-white-collar professions, have been first hit and hardest hit by automation. There is no more human handling of the weather forecasts, for example, and hasn't been for ages. Nearly all of the non-reporting sports stuff (the baseball lines, etc etc) has been automated, or at least like 1/10 or 1/100 the number of people do it, and it's unskilled typing. The printing side is entirely mechanized.

The Bulgarian fake news peddlers certainly automate large portions of their thing and are probably way more technically sophisticated than literally every newsroom in every technical domain outside of graphics, which is why they put out enough bullshit to do significant things in the election.

It's also like how critical thinking skills of reporters and stuff like that has been steadily being reduced: it's because folks with critical thinking skills also have enough critical thinking skills to not get into such a brutal profession. I'm sorry if it's brutal, but I know a drat few journalism grads from my alma mater (which you have definitely heard of... ranked about #5ish in the world in journalism, ain't that great) on food stamps or eating on daddy's money to be not cynical.

curufinor fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 11, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold?CMP=twt_gu

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

what a loving snowflake.

demonicon posted:

Just a quick question from a European. When did the term antifa start to appear in the US? Because this is the first time I am hearing it being used by you guys.

i've known about them since i was in college (2004) cuz of bush and i went to a very left wing college.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skylined! posted:

Being a diagnosed schizophrenic raised in a cult helps take the edge off such things.

........also about 10 years back it could have just as easily been me getting beat in at a Proud Boy rally. Much of what you see playing out now on the national stage played out in a much much much smaller scale 10 years ago in the Rust Belt (with a decidedly more DBZ/Occult theme than the current white nationalist theme) and I was a part of all that. For me I am (for better or worse) on very familiar turf with this material. I was born into it and spent most of my formative years/early adulthood around it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Listen, when people talk about racists killing sikhs being worse than when muslims get killed there is a reason for that. It's worse because they accidently killed someone innocent right, someone that wasn't involved? unlike when they killed a muslim.

Even people that don't call themselves evil racists are subtly more into the idea that if the racist killed a muslim at least they got the right person, not "someone totally unrelated to terrorism". get it?
That's not really what people are getting at, dude. You are grasping.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

demonicon posted:

I mean I always thought antifa was more of a European thing.

Personally I noticed after some guy tried to knock some of Spencer's teeth out

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is a couple pages back but, as someone who works in the newspaper biz: if you're bypassing a paywall or meter times and time again, pay for a fuckin digital sub and turn off your ad blockers

community journalism is dying and while a lot of us are trying to figure out a better revenue model than subs+display ads, we need to keep the lights on while we do it

Pay for content, y'all

I will not turn off my ad blocker until websites can guarantee that the ads they display don't contain malware, and are held criminally liable for every computer infected via ads served on their site. I know the ads come from an ad network that is not affiliated, but the liability has to start somewhere if the advertising model is going to work.

I already subscribe to NYT and WaPo. For anything else, if I run into a paywall I close the tab.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/873884774041079808

Aww, poor baby :qq:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

every single loving counterreality statement causes me a goddamn migraine.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

what a loving snowflake.

Can't imagine being seen in the vicinity of Trump would do her any good now anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"I'm not crying, you are crying!!!"

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold?CMP=twt_gu

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

It would be pretty great if Americans could ditch this cancer just by making him feel unwelcome.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Majorian posted:

It's horrifying to me how little work the photoshopper had to do.:stare:

I guess the good news is, the Trump dynasty has already reached its "hopelessly inbred, late Hapsburg" stage.

The Trump double chin and overbite.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I still have no idea who those guys are. :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Smol posted:

I still have no idea who those guys are. :shrug:

Trump's sons

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone remember Paul Nehlen?

He ran against Paul Ryan during the Republician primary in 2016. He's back, baby! I noticed on the last few Trump tweets that he was showing up with the first response and talking poo poo about Paul Ryan in them. I'm rooting for him to get more than 15% of the vote in the next primary.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

what a loving snowflake.

i've known about them since i was in college (2004) cuz of bush and i went to a very left wing college.

The antifa movement still is a big movement in a lot of german universities, was big in the 60-70s and regained some traction after the german reunification as an answer to the resurgence of neo Nazis in Eastern Germany.

The tragic thing though is that the antifa movement (at least the one this name is derived from) was created in Germany in the 1930s by the KPD (the german communist party) and the SPD as a reaction to violent armed brownshirt gangs (many of whom former soldiers) who would terrorize and threaten people of a different ideology.

Looking at the pictures of the us alt right militia really makes one wonder how near we are to the next repitition cycle of history...

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That can't be a real picture

Course not. They cast reflections, so it's obviously fake.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

curufinor posted:

Yeah, there's all this stuff about automation, and folks in this thread talking about it and being skeptical or unskeptical towards it
That doesn't seem to matter too much, at least to me. Why automation is in the press is because it's in the minds of journalists. Because they, of all the formerly-high-class-white-collar professions, have been first hit and hardest hit by automation. There is no more human handling of the weather forecasts, for example, and hasn't been for ages. Nearly all of the non-reporting sports stuff (the baseball lines, etc etc) has been automated, or at least like 1/10 or 1/100 the number of people do it, and it's unskilled typing. The printing side is entirely mechanized.

The Bulgarian fake news peddlers certainly automate large portions of their thing and are probably way more technically sophisticated than literally every newsroom in every technical domain outside of graphics, which is why they put out enough bullshit to do significant things in the election.

It's also like how critical thinking skills of reporters and stuff like that has been steadily being reduced: it's because folks with critical thinking skills also have enough critical thinking skills to not get into such a brutal profession. I'm sorry if it's brutal, but I know a drat few journalism grads from my school (which you have definitely heard of... ranked about #5ish in the world in journalism, ain't that great) on food stamps or eating on daddy's money to be not cynical.

I'm a designer in my day job, and one big truth about design is that people believe things are real when they look pretty. People are much more likely to gravitate to the better looking design, obviously. Even if the functionality, manufacturability, branding, etc isn't in line with what you need -- pop out a nice looking render, and suddenly everyone's on board.

People trust goddamned infographics. We're all susceptible to it. Graphics are easier to internalize than text. The more automation gets developed into graphic design work, the worse this is gonna become. The more polished it looks, the more (seemingly level headed people) are going to believe it.

The automation of design work won't be easy. It takes more than just desktop publishers, CAD, or automated color palettes. Even with generative design (eg autodesk's project dreamcatcher) you still need an aesthetically trained designer with a good understanding of human factors to curate what's acceptable, and adjust parameters -- but even that act can be shifted to automation given enough time and study, imo.

Propaganda utilizes design to a heavy extent (see: recruitment posters during any war, in any country). Or hell, what do you think advertising is? But the average person is much less attuned to how the aesthetics of something influence their thoughts/decisions. Or, they totally reject that something as soft-skilled as aesthetics could ever influence their rational brains -- they're wrong. And hell, I'm influenced by this stuff and I UNDERSTAND why it happens.

In short, the more graphic design gets automated, the worse it's gonna get.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

demonicon posted:

The antifa movement still is a big movement in a lot of german universities, was big in the 60-70s and regained some traction after the german reunification as an answer to the resurgence of neo Nazis in Eastern Germany.

The tragic thing though is that the antifa movement (at least the one this name is derived from) was created in Germany in the 1930s by the KPD (the german communist party) and the SPD as a reaction to violent armed brownshirt gangs (many of whom former soldiers) who would terrorize and threaten people of a different ideology.

Looking at the pictures of the us alt right militia really makes one wonder how near we are to the next repitition cycle of history...

i was interested in joining them but a lot of them were maoists and other assorted tankie morons and that's a no go for me.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
http://cars.mclaren.com/

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Here's a fantastic and beautifully crafted video on automation, I recommend you send this to anyone even curious about how it has up until now and how it will more in the future

https://youtu.be/WSKi8HfcxEk

I wonder when animation as beautiful as this will be automated...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Automation won't really matter that much when Americans still won't get worthwhile jobs no matter what you do.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

What steps in to take the place of community newspapers?

Twitter making better use of geolocation

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/873899597147639809

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh wow. That's uh....that's direct.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/873894439403401216

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh wow. That's uh....that's direct.

Jeremy Corbyn fucks.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

this owns :allears:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm a designer in my day job, and one big truth about design is that people believe things are real when they look pretty. People are much more likely to gravitate to the better looking design, obviously. Even if the functionality, manufacturability, branding, etc isn't in line with what you need -- pop out a nice looking render, and suddenly everyone's on board.

People trust goddamned infographics. We're all susceptible to it. Graphics are easier to internalize than text. The more automation gets developed into graphic design work, the worse this is gonna become. The more polished it looks, the more (seemingly level headed people) are going to believe it.

But there is a definite opposite effect where people see lovely or low effort design as more "authentic". This is why all those "I buy houses!" signs look like handwritten poo poo - most are actually mass produced instead of written in marker so they could be made to look good but that results in lower response rates.

Drudge also trades heavily on this.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Add “prevalent” next to “grovel” in the list of words trump clearly does not know the definition of.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gregday posted:

Add “prevalent” next to “grovel” in the list of words trump clearly does not know the definition of.

Like a dog!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm trying to figure out what Trump meant when his phone autocorrected his thumb-mashing into "prevalent", but I have no idea.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nothus posted:

I'm trying to figure out what Trump meant when his phone autocorrected his thumb-mashing into "prevalent", but I have no idea.

relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like 'And also gently caress Donny' is going to be a part of much of Europe's stump speeches for awhile.

• Locked thread