Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wait, what are you doing with a blower? how does this fit into IT? Is this something they opened a ticket against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wait, what are you doing with a blower? how does this fit into IT? Is this something they opened a ticket against?

Ticket Priority 1:

User X is being terminated today. Please literally blow away all of User X's files.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ilkhan posted:

And yet it doesn't. Which is why I mentioned it. Maybe I need a different source ISO. :shrug:

Is it a Dell OEM install or a retail ISO? The Retail ISO will not have the MDSM tools to see the OEM license; you'd need the Dell version.

Or is your BIOS up-to-date? I mean, it sounds like it's new enough, but as said before the BIOS does have the OEM keys and maybe they've changed. I've seen it before.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Lightning Jim posted:

Is it a Dell OEM install or a retail ISO? The Retail ISO will not have the MDSM tools to see the OEM license; you'd need the Dell version.

Or is your BIOS up-to-date? I mean, it sounds like it's new enough, but as said before the BIOS does have the OEM keys and maybe they've changed. I've seen it before.

You usually don't need a company specific ISO. A general RTM release has always worked for me when installing to OEM machines.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

You usually don't need a company specific ISO. A general RTM release has always worked for me when installing to OEM machines.

Well, when I used to support Dell laptops and desktops, it was absolutely the case that you had to use the OEM disc/ISO for the autoactivation. And since ilkhan doesn't have the sticker key...
I guess that changed since (like with UEFI support or something)?

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 18, 2015

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

Well, when I used to support Dell laptops and desktops, it was absolutely the case that you had to use the OEM disc/ISO for the autoactivation. I guess that changed since (like with UEFI support or something)?
I've actually got an issue that I'll be dealing with in a couple hours related to this, maybe you guys can give me some clarity.

Dell PC was ordered with Windows 7 downgrade rights (from 8; 7 was pre-installed when it shipped) a few months ago. poo poo happened and we had to reinstall Windows on the box. We did so with a Dell-branded CD. It worked fine until a couple of days ago when it basically said it couldn't find a KMS server (we don't run one) and that now Windows is "non-genuine" (obviously because we never entered a key).

Why wouldn't the machine have seen the key in the BIOS, and aside from that, which key do I use to activate it? There's no sticker on the case so I can't just enter that. Does Dell have a key that I can use if I call them? Something else?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

nexxai posted:

I've actually got an issue that I'll be dealing with in a couple hours related to this, maybe you guys can give me some clarity.

Dell PC was ordered with Windows 7 downgrade rights (from 8; 7 was pre-installed when it shipped) a few months ago. poo poo happened and we had to reinstall Windows on the box. We did so with a Dell-branded CD. It worked fine until a couple of days ago when it basically said it couldn't find a KMS server (we don't run one) and that now Windows is "non-genuine" (obviously because we never entered a key).

Why wouldn't the machine have seen the key in the BIOS, and aside from that, which key do I use to activate it? There's no sticker on the case so I can't just enter that. Does Dell have a key that I can use if I call them? Something else?

Like I said in a previous post, this sounds exactly like an OEM key expiring and needing the new one with a BIOS update. I'll check to make sure they're updated. After the reboot for the BIOS update, you may have to reboot a second time.
Dell's not going to have the key to activate since it is a general OEM key in the BIOS.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I am so glad that I work for a fairly big organization that has volume licensing (handled by someone else) so I don't have to worry about this stuff. Sympathy for those who do.

Semi-related, is it impossible to get Dell to ship equipment with a blank hard drive? I've started ordering stuff through our rep with Ubuntu installed just to save us like $70 per machine, since we were always just blowing away the OEM Win 7/8.1 anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I am so glad that I work for a fairly big organization that has volume licensing (handled by someone else) so I don't have to worry about this stuff. Sympathy for those who do.

Semi-related, is it impossible to get Dell to ship equipment with a blank hard drive? I've started ordering stuff through our rep with Ubuntu installed just to save us like $70 per machine, since we were always just blowing away the OEM Win 7/8.1 anyway.

I am almost positive that one of the OS options is "None," although stuff like that seems limited to specific models for some reason. It should be in the same section as the Ubuntu option. Although it should also cost the same and I'm assuming you're using some kind of imaging solution so it might not actually even matter for you.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Did we ever find out about that abusive boss goon-in-the-well?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

I am almost positive that one of the OS options is "None," although stuff like that seems limited to specific models for some reason. It should be in the same section as the Ubuntu option. Although it should also cost the same and I'm assuming you're using some kind of imaging solution so it might not actually even matter for you.

We have our own portal with preconfigured options and such, so it might just be that our organization doesn't have it offered.

And yeah, the cost would be the same as Ubuntu (free), it's just kinda funny since now our new equipment is coming with the Ubuntu logo on it where the Windows one used to be. :shobon:

I know I could probably specifically request that they not put that sticker on there but :effort:

ElGroucho posted:

Did we ever find out about that abusive boss goon-in-the-well?
Last I remember he alluded to quitting and pursuing legal action, but being unable to discuss it further due to said legal action.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

Like I said in a previous post, this sounds exactly like an OEM key expiring and needing the new one with a BIOS update. I'll check to make sure they're updated. After the reboot for the BIOS update, you may have to reboot a second time.
Dell's not going to have the key to activate since it is a general OEM key in the BIOS.
Ok, I'll give the BIOS update a shot. But in theory, shouldn't this affect all the PCs that were ordered at the same time, and not just the one?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just blowing dust out of equipment.

Prepare to laugh at my misfortune: Rather than have a clean, climate-controlled, dedicated server room, everything is just out in the open, so one of my responsibilities is to go through every now and then and blow dust out of equipment. My tool for this job is an 80PSI airtank that I fill up with an air compressor. It's good for about 10-15 seconds of blowing before I have to tote it across the building to the shop to refill it. I requested one of these last year, but it was cost prohibitive. Besides, "that's why we got the air tank."

Anyways, I stood my ground on it, so at least this dumb, dangerous task will make it easier to gently caress up broadcast equipment.

Also, the election data input deal with office online is a success and everything is in place over a month early. The GM came down and patted me on the head over it, and stated he was genuinely impressed that I was able to come up with a working solution with a month to spare. Brownie points, whatever, but the fun part is he made sure to do it in front of my supervisor, who was giving eyerolls and "you gotta be kidding me" looks the whole time.

Thanks, again, for the suggestion, goonbro.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

nexxai posted:

Ok, I'll give the BIOS update a shot. But in theory, shouldn't this affect all the PCs that were ordered at the same time, and not just the one?

The difference is you had to reinstall and I assume WIndows Updates to current as well (since last time I saw it happen it was with Windows Updates). If the others haven't had it yet, maybe?
Otherwise: It's possible the issues you had corrupted part of the BIOS and reflashing should fix it.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

larchesdanrew posted:

I requested one of these last year, but it was cost prohibitive. Besides, "that's why we got the air tank."

We have this exact blower at my office and it loving rules. You should tell your boss he's an idiot, it's only $60.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MiniFoo posted:

We have this exact blower at my office and it loving rules. You should tell your boss he's an idiot, it's only $60.

I'm always amazed at what gets called "cost prohibitive." I know about sunk cost and the bike shed phenomenon, but still.

Like, they tried to change us from getting paid every two weeks to getting paid once a month and the e-mail noted that it would save the company around $100 a month. My first thought was "How terrible is business that $1200/yr is something worth this kind of shakeup?"

They also floated the idea like, 3 days before the mid-month payday was about to hit. It didn't end up happening.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

How does it compare to a ~50 psi compressor?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gothmog1065 posted:

It's hand-portable without having to drag an air hose around/between servers, which I think is the most important part.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

It's hand-portable without having to drag an air hose around/between servers, which I think is the most important part.

Looking more for airflow. We had a portable compressor that we would tote out back in our old shop, it was really drat nice, but would still have to break every few seconds to let it fill the tank again. The nice thing about the compressor was getting some of the more stubborn stuff out with the air. Some of them we'd do a quit blast of air and it looked like a dust bomb went off inside the computer. It would be nice to have one at the house for some of my side stuff.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have little to compare it to, but the airflow hasn't been as issue yet, and the convenience of it is phenomenal. With the proper attachment, it's on par with the compressor we have in the shop and VASTLY more powerful than the air tank I've been using. It gets the job done and only weighs a few pounds, so I'm a fan already.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The little handheld units are good for dusting, but they don't have the same initial power of the "slug" of air like an actual compressor. So if you're doing upkeep, the handheld ones are great, but if you're taking it to some ancient machine that was used by a smoker, you're gonna want a traditional compressor unit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Windows 7 won't activate itself. Only 8 or 8.1 (and 10) will do that. only the Sunday edition

If you have 8(.1) pro, and you're trying to install 7 pro, you need to exercise your downgrade rights.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=fjUaKnVnoQj

Edit: phone posting and missed a page.

The tldr: when installing win7 on a downgrade eligible computer, you need to install it an appropriate key that you are responsible for providing. Dell uses their own vlk keys to do this, and are likely not going to share. If Windows does not activate, call the activation center and they will verify your downgrade eligibility and then give you an activation code.

If you need to do this to a bunch of computers and don't have a vlk, I'm sorry.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2015

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Drink and Fight posted:

Today I watched my CEO print an entire 200+-page powerpoint presentation.

My IT Director does this all the time.. except it's a copy for the three of us that report to him, and we all just put it in the recycling bin that day because we already had the electronic one.

I'm convinced that he's a Captain Planet villain.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

The tldr: when installing win7 on a downgrade eligible computer, you need to install it an appropriate key that you are responsible for providing. Dell uses their own vlk keys to do this, and are likely not going to share. If Windows does not activate, call the activation center and they will verify your downgrade eligibility and then give you an activation code.

Ah, that explains a lot, thanks.

Man, I get it your in India. I mean, thanks for at least seeing that I get in at 8:30AM. But it's not 8:30 India Time, it's 8:30 Central. I'm not available at 10 PM.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 23, 2015

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Per Windows 10 chat. I took it upon myself to test some of the software my company uses in a windows 10 environment since some of the software uses .net 2.5. Spun up an oracle virtual box instance at home and the main issue I have with the developer preview is explorer.exe will just stop running randomly. No error, no popups at all, just any windows related to explorer and taskbar just disappear. I have to open up task manager and re-launch explorer.exe like I am back in windows 98/xp days.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Alighieri posted:

Per Windows 10 chat. I took it upon myself to test some of the software my company uses in a windows 10 environment since some of the software uses .net 2.5. Spun up an oracle virtual box instance at home and the main issue I have with the developer preview is explorer.exe will just stop running randomly. No error, no popups at all, just any windows related to explorer and taskbar just disappear. I have to open up task manager and re-launch explorer.exe like I am back in windows 98/xp days.

That's just as likely to be an issue with Virtualbox as it is with Windows 10.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

That's just as likely to be an issue with Virtualbox as it is with Windows 10.

That was my thought as well, the good news is the software worked fine in windows 10, even if explorer crashed. Our software survives another windows version without having to improve it in any way.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Alighieri posted:

That was my thought as well, the good news is the software worked fine in windows 10, even if explorer crashed. Our software survives another windows version without having to improve it in any way.

Write once, keep running it without support or changes until it crashes and burns?

That is the dream.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Alighieri posted:

Per Windows 10 chat. I took it upon myself to test some of the software my company uses in a windows 10 environment since some of the software uses .net 2.5.
Is older .net software not supposed to work in Win10?

I support Sage 100/MAS90 :(

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Is older .net software not supposed to work in Win10?

I support Sage 100/MAS90 :(

You have to add 2.5/3.0 through the Add/Remove Windows Features menu. Don't know about anything earlier than that, there are no listings for 1.0 and I believe 2.5 has everything 2.0 had so 2.0 code should still work.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Just blowing dust out of equipment.

Prepare to laugh at my misfortune: Rather than have a clean, climate-controlled, dedicated server room, everything is just out in the open, so one of my responsibilities is to go through every now and then and blow dust out of equipment. My tool for this job is an 80PSI airtank that I fill up with an air compressor. It's good for about 10-15 seconds of blowing before I have to tote it across the building to the shop to refill it. I requested one of these last year, but it was cost prohibitive. Besides, "that's why we got the air tank."

I really hope that air compressor has a water separator...

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gothmog1065 posted:

It gets hot after a while and its harder to maneuver than a hose but otherwise amazing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Slanderer posted:

I really hope that air compressor has a water separator...

Your avatar/text are glorious

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

thebigcow posted:

It gets hot after a while and its harder to maneuver than a hose but otherwise amazing.

Good, I'm working a cost analysis on this vs canned air.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Gothmog1065 posted:

Good, I'm working a cost analysis on this vs canned air.

It'll pay for itself after a few dozen cans. It's worth it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Its basically a vacuum cleaner motor so make sure you can run that much power wherever you plan to use it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Migishu posted:

nobody ever forgets their first "needful"

My first needful was in '08 working IT for a utility company - I had to stop, re-read it out of disbelief, then show it to my co-worker and giggle

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

My first needful was in '08 working IT for a utility company - I had to stop, re-read it out of disbelief, then show it to my co-worker and giggle

I remember the one I had where I had both "please do the needful" and "please go and revert" in the same sentence in the same email.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ilkhan posted:

And yet it doesn't. Which is why I mentioned it. Maybe I need a different source ISO. :shrug:
Weird. I've been using a 7 ISO I downloaded from Microsoft sometime in 2013 and it does it all fine with the HP machines we use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

kensei posted:

Your avatar/text are glorious

I'm committed to a platform of excellence.

• Locked thread