Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Devices sometimes reboot on their own (Nexus devices, in my experience have been more prone to this especially around new versions) and I would rather not have a device stuck on a boot menu if I don't notice it right away.

Also, for the most part, there's very little reason for it anymore. Google provides the OTAs for flashing now, so most of the situation's where I would want to flash the full image are situations where I would want to wipe anyways.

Keep in mind that moving forward, updates are going to be background affairs that happen automagically. So rolling back to last months patch won't be an option anymore. Your phone will silently download and install the current month as soon as it gets a chance.

The warning goes away after 10 seconds according to the posts I found about it when you mentioned it so it can't get stuck on the screen.

I do wonder how that update scenario you describe would work with rooted devices that can't take OTAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

The warning goes away after 10 seconds according to the posts I found about it when you mentioned it so it can't get stuck on the screen.

I do wonder how that update scenario you describe would work with rooted devices that can't take OTAs.

You only have to bump a button to interrupt the boot process which is pretty easy to do in your pocket.

Also, the pixel C emits a loud and somewhat annoying high pitched BEEEP during that screen, just to make sure you know your security is compromised.

I would assume rooted devices would abort during install since the system partition would fail verification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I would assume rooted devices would abort during install since the system partition would fail verification.

Yes, they said that it will be strictly enforcing on the new Nexuses and they won't boot with a modified system unless the bootloader is unlocked.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

Wow, really? Link please!

OTA, and may not do you much good unless you too have an XT1095. Someone else might have captured it on XDA but I didn't really think about it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sir Unimaginative posted:

OTA, and may not do you much good unless you too have an XT1095. Someone else might have captured it on XDA but I didn't really think about it.

So this is hot off the presses?

I do have an XT1095 and I don't see any mention of it anywhere - not even on XDA - which is why asked for a link of where you found it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

So this is hot off the presses?

I do have an XT1095 and I don't see any mention of it anywhere - not even on XDA - which is why asked for a link of where you found it.

The system update app on the phone itself. (And the bulletin. The dissertation will have to wait.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't tell me that people are calling it this unironically

god I hate millennials

Literally no one is calling it that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yesterday I rebooted my 5X after the August security update. I washed the dishes and cleaned my bathroom before "Android is upgrading..." completed :v:
This will be gone in Nougat since it's moving to JIT compilation, hooray!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

docbeard posted:

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.

I was having that happen EVERY time I launched Pokémon GO and was just baffled

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The system update app on the phone itself. (And the bulletin. The dissertation will have to wait.)

OK, cool. Guess it will hit mine here soon as well. Thanks!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I installed the latest OTA update on my 5x and my screen was really dim, like it was half asleep. None of my settings had noticeably changed, so I googled to see if anyone else had the problem. Unfortunately I did the googling on my phone, so now I can't tell if my fiddling and a restart fixed it or I'm just used to it. Problem...solved??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android has always had an issue of adaptive brightness screwing up sometimes. I've seen it in every device I've owned. Usually, sleeping and then waking the device up again resolves it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah my nexus 10 does it at least once a week

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

docbeard posted:

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.
Yeah I was going crazy about this and was able to call for a replacement device. Between that and the Camera taking 6+ seconds to really take a picture after it makes the "click" and frozen screen thing making me miss tons of my shots it's really annoying. But now I'll have to wait anyways ugh.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Literally no one is calling it that.
According to local Pokemon Go groups I am in tons and tons of people are, but who cares?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Didn't bother to check and see if this is posted elsewhere in the thread but tldr something about the July update for the N6 causes it to lose data connectivity any time GPS activates. It's been plaguing me for days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4vzncc/nexus_6_loses_all_data_connectivity_on_tmobile/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/WOMBzoCaSMM

It's not actually a TMobile problem, it's a Nexus 6 problem and happening across a bunch of carriers that support the Nexus 6 (according to a Google Products forum post)

Edit: Reddit users on N previews are not reporting the issue. So basically I have to unlock my phone and run beta software to have a functioning device.

Awesome, glad this got figured out. This was infuriating to me. Though I just signed up for the N preview officially and got an OTA and it works fine and was easy. Did I have to be bootloader unlocked to enter the beta program? If not, I don't think there's any downside really. When release comes out, it'll OTA to that too. It's been completely stable and usable for me, fwiw. And my data doesn't cut out when I ping gps!!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tunga posted:

This will be gone in Nougat since it's moving to JIT compilation, hooray!

I believe it's only new devices running 7.0 that will be able to take advantage of the fancy upgrade thing, and not upgraded existing devices.

Can anyone who has a clue confirm or refute this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The JIT stuff means none of the 'optimising apps' crap, even without the background updating its going to be way quicker

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

On a different note: the clusterfuck that is USB-C continues

Christ, this is something that really should be worth a recall and replacement. That they're not is... disappointing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Christ, this is something that really should be worth a recall and replacement. That they're not is... disappointing.

All it does is destroy things that are plugged into it. No big deal*

*...now, while there are only like three products in the world that use this connector. In the future when USB-C is ubiquitous and you got rid of your Nexus 5x five years ago, this charger will look like every other charger in your drawer but will destroy whatever you plug into it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Yeah, I've got a compliant replacement in the post and the charger's going back into the retail box it came out of.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I would like to know how I can save a whole conversation history of text messages. Is there a way I can email them to myself or where do I find them if I save them on my phone?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

I would like to know how I can save a whole conversation history of text messages. Is there a way I can email them to myself or where do I find them if I save them on my phone?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of SMS Backup+ because it will automatically upload your SMS convos to GMail and assign them a label which you can then read as a threaded conversation, search, and because it's backed up permanently, delete on your phone. The best part is that there's nothing manual about it, once it's set up it does it automatically without you ever doing anything ever again. New SMSs automatically append to the conversation so unlike Lblitzer's suggestion you won't have multiple copies of multiple threads that you have to manage (and manually create, extract, and view in a viewer).

It's so good I often forget that Android doesn't do this by default. It works so well it feels native.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 5, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/761435995627663360

Sounds like Google is going to be selling the new Nexus devices through carrier, and maybe a hint that they won't be called Nexus.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Hope Cricket is part of that :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What does buying from Cricket even get you? They don't offer any financing or discounts, so why not just buy from Google at that point?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Endless Mike posted:

What does buying from Cricket even get you? They don't offer any financing or discounts, so why not just buy from Google at that point?

Being a second class citizen on AT&T's network.

It could sort of work out though if he lives somewhere where the LTE is slower than the HSPA+ (not a typo).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Being a second class citizen on AT&T's network.

It could sort of work out though if he lives somewhere where the LTE is slower than the HSPA+ (not a typo).

No no, USING Cricket is not what I'm asking. I'm asking why he cares whether they carry a phone that will presumably be unlocked from the manufacturer for the same price. I *suppose* there's some benefit in that they might handle warranty stuff, but I feel like that's expecting too much from a prepaid carrier.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are the latest size rumours for the new Nexus phones? Are we still at 5.5 and 5.0 as the first rumours said or did I see that we're getting 5.7 and 5.2 again like last year? I like my 6P but it's definitely just a little too big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It is really crazy that Google hasn't implemented cloud sync for the SMS/MMS store by this point. I use SMSBackup+ as well, but it does have some limitations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

It is really crazy that Google hasn't implemented cloud sync for the SMS/MMS store by this point. I use SMSBackup+ as well, but it does have some limitations.

Google probably considers SMS/MMS ephemeral, mostly because it was never designed with the Butt in mind, so don't hold your breath.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, I've just installed the N preview on my Nexus 6, and so far everything seems to be working. Splitscreen is cool though I'm not really seeing that I'll ever have a need for...wait, no, I've just thought of a reason I'd use it, hahaha. (Calculator and bank app up at the same time...and the bank app doesn't support split screen. Of course it doesn't.)

Seemed to lag a bit when I first booted up but it's running pretty smooth at the moment. I'm sure it will melt my phone and start playing an unstoppable "YOU INSTALLED BETA SOFTWARE? YOU FOOL!" message at me within the day but so far so good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

docbeard posted:

Well, I've just installed the N preview on my Nexus 6, and so far everything seems to be working. Splitscreen is cool though I'm not really seeing that I'll ever have a need for...wait, no, I've just thought of a reason I'd use it, hahaha. (Calculator and bank app up at the same time...and the bank app doesn't support split screen. Of course it doesn't.)

Seemed to lag a bit when I first booted up but it's running pretty smooth at the moment. I'm sure it will melt my phone and start playing an unstoppable "YOU INSTALLED BETA SOFTWARE? YOU FOOL!" message at me within the day but so far so good.

Yeah, I did the same thing last night. Not super thrilled about it but its nice having data working while GPS is zeroed in. :/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Why is it crazy? SMS don't go through any Google app by default, and you can't send texts through the cloud (that's still true, right? need pushbullet or something?). Seems like just another dumb fringe thing most people don't actually care about, and if you do care, there's an app for it. iOS backs up texts with full backups of your phone, but also doesn't have any syncing or specific text backup afaik.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google probably considers SMS/MMS ephemeral, mostly because it was never designed with the Butt in mind, so don't hold your breath.

I know, but it seems like something that would be trivial to implement.

Same with send anywhere SMS. Cloud store the SMS db and have a flag if the message originated from a device with the primary phone number attached. If not, that device sends out that message when it syncs the db. Then you could easily send out a message from any device or the web from your carrier number without 3rd party software.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing last night. Not super thrilled about it but its nice having data working while GPS is zeroed in. :/

Well, for all that there's an inherent risk in using beta software for everyday stuff, I've heard generally good things from people who've installed it (and honestly with N a month or so from actual release, it'd be pretty bad if the current developer preview weren't reasonably stable).

So I am at least cautiously optimistic. And as you say, it's better than losing my data connection because my weather app decided to update or I wanted to look at a map.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Why is it crazy? SMS don't go through any Google app by default, and you can't send texts through the cloud (that's still true, right? need pushbullet or something?). Seems like just another dumb fringe thing most people don't actually care about, and if you do care, there's an app for it. iOS backs up texts with full backups of your phone, but also doesn't have any syncing or specific text backup afaik.

It's crazy because it's a minor thing that's a big headache to people when they switch devices. They could make this seamless AND offer cloud messaging with little effort.

Then they would be primed to do something like iMessage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

I think the SMS db is managed by Android no matter which app you use, no?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Regarding the nexus 6 issue, it's bizarre- no other app combination does it, but the second I start Pokémon go I lose all cell connectivity. It will come back eventually (like 15 seconds or so). Why Pokémon GO specifically? Google maps doesn't do anything but if I so much as look at the Pokémon go app, it's like my cell antenna shuts off.. bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I think the SMS db is managed by Android no matter which app you use, no?

No idea, but sounds reasonable. Though a quick search makes me think not necessarily? Textra for example might use their own db, at least. But I don't actually know.

So this is definitely an exaggeration, but to me expecting Google to do cloud backup of SMS by default is sort of like expecting them to do Facebook Messenger cloud backup or phone call transcription and backup. If you were using Google's messaging app, you would be getting cloud backup and messaging. It would be nice if they had some backup option for SMS, but you're not using a Google app to message, so why should you expect them to take care of it.

Anyway, there still isn't a full phone backup and restore process in place (right?), which is much more unambiguously something Google should do imo.