Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Xuron talk: Is there any way to sharpen the blades up a bit? Mine seem to dull really quickly just cutting sprue.

I've tried with no luck, the main problem I have is that the jaws eventually get slightly bent and now the whole thing doesn't cut anymore.

I've heard the tamiya ones have a better pivot and don't do that as quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Are you cutting large sprue frame with them? That'll kill them. Apparently Amazon is awash with fake Xuron / Godhand stuff too, so might be that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Quick question for the thread, I'm going to give Zenithal priming a try so I need to buy 3 new cans of spraypaint. I remember a couple people saying that the paints you grab from you local home depot or whatever are just as good as the Games Workshop® Chaos Black™ (or other for-miniatures spray), is this true? Can I save several dollars by getting the cheap cans?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Quick question for the thread, I'm going to give Zenithal priming a try so I need to buy 3 new cans of spraypaint. I remember a couple people saying that the paints you grab from you local home depot or whatever are just as good as the Games Workshop® Chaos Black™ (or other for-miniatures spray), is this true? Can I save several dollars by getting the cheap cans?

YMMV depending on the brands. In the UK I'm a fan of Halfords spray primers (automotive ones), especially the grey, for other brands have a google and see what people recommend, but generally yes other cheap ones are fine, and often much better both in quality and value.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Duplicolor Black, Grey, and White are all amazing in the US (car part stores).

Their grey is more of a German Grey as opposed to a neutral grey.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Did a step by step for bullet pings.

1. Rough spots of brown laid down with irregular spacing.
2. Smaller spot of black (thinned 1:1 w/ satin glaze medium) put in middle of brown spots.

3. Thinned base color dabbed on bottom edge of black spot.
4. Another dot of black put in center of mark. Dot of white put underneath black.

Bit more of a write up here:
http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/painting-damage-bullet-pings/

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Got some solo photos with my Iconward. Anyone got any C&C they could offer me? I've got a couple units under my belt at this point so I've got the basic process down so now I need to look at more techniques going forward.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
xpost from that other place:

Major Spag posted:

Shouldn't have painted the front part separate but whatever. At least I KNOW the legs were painted properly.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Painted up the Lady Stormcast from the Easy to Build kit. She's a great characterful model.

Clearing the backlog so I painted these guys to go with her

A few more models to burn through then I can justify Black Fortress (in my head).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

richyp posted:

Clearing the backlog so I painted these guys to go with her

A few more models to burn through then I can justify Black Fortress (in my head).

I'm digging this scheme, I may have to copy it if/when I get around to painting up my team.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I (mostly) finished my At warlord

When i was taking photos i realized i forgot to stick on the little shoulder plaques. I'll get around to them....sometime

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hixson posted:

When i was taking photos i realized i forgot to stick on the little shoulder plaques. I'll get around to them....sometime

loving hell :stare: Amazing.

I give up.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Hixson posted:

Amazing paint work. Although the weathering is too big, I mean there's nothing wrong with that if that's the style you want.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Idk what that means

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Hixson posted:

Idk what that means

I think they're saying that the rust or paint chips or whatever are larger than they would be in real life. I actually like that style, but it's a little more "comic-book" than pure realism. It works well on gaming figures since you're generally at arm's length when looking at them, but you'd probably go a lot "finer" for a historical model (e.g. using a little sponge to dab flecks of rust onto surfaces).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 22, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Amazing paint work. Although the weathering is too big, I mean there's nothing wrong with that if that's the style you want.

Larger objects get hit by larger debris and survive :ssh:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I see. Well that’s just straight up not true. Thanks for the kind words regardless

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
On something the size of a titan you'd be getting surface spalling all over the place in reaction to hits of the magnitude they're dealing with. The weathering is entirely appropriate, and looks great.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

Agreed it looks like poo poo bro

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

ur poo poo

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

panascope posted:

No if poo poo hit the titan it would produce a much smaller pattern

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hustlin Floh posted:

No if poo poo hit the titan it would produce a much smaller pattern

it's a titan sized poo poo you morans

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hixson posted:

I see. Well that’s just straight up not true. Thanks for the kind words regardless

I looked back and I think Luminaflare's post got me a bit confused. I thought the irregular black patches were representing superficial paint damage that had accumulated over time (e.g. scratches from debris thrown up by explosions); in that case, I'd have expected to see smaller dots surrounding the bigger patches where just a little paint had flaked off. When I looked more closely, I saw that you were adding some highlights around a lot of the black patches, so it's supposed to be deeper damage that the Titan just shrugged off, right? I haven't done GW stuff in a long time, so I don't remember enough to have a good picture in my head of what specifically would cause damage patterns like that; I know there's all kinds of crazy weapons in 40k, but I don't remember any specifics. I guess I can't really comment on the "realism" angle then. :) Hell, I'm not even really sure the in-universe colors on Titans are made via paint!

Anyway sorry for adding to the confusion; it looks rad!

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 22, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
In universe titans do things like throw tanks and bits of buildings at each other, occasionally.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’d like to think the weathering on titans is more from actual weather. Concentrated acid rain, electrical storms, all the Hive World goodness of climates run amock.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Luminaflare posted:

:goonsay:

looks great op. how'd ya get the lens effect?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I have to be honest, I kinda agree. It's extremely well done but it feels like the scaling on it is just a little off somehow - but at that point it's like complaining that a five star meal could have used just a few more grains of salt in the sauce.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Loomer posted:

I have to be honest, I kinda agree. It's extremely well done but it feels like the scaling on it is just a little off somehow - but at that point it's like complaining that a five star meal could have used just a few more grains of salt in the sauce.

you're both entitled to your wrong opinions :)

queef anxiety posted:

:goonsay:

looks great op. how'd ya get the lens effect?

The lens is just based black with a crescent moon shaped highlight of dark red, another with a bright red, then a yellow stripe in the corner. Then add a white dot in the upper corner and add a gloss coat

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badablack posted:

I’d like to think the weathering on titans is more from actual weather. Concentrated acid rain, electrical storms, all the Hive World goodness of climates run amock.

That's a great point as well. Titans also fight in space and on volcano death worlds, so there's no end of debris of all sizes that can potentially hit them and gently caress up their paint.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides if we want to actually poke holes in Hixson's model we can point out that it has a Legio Mortis emblem even though that's not the correct paint scheme for Mortis in m31.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Badablack posted:

That's a good point. I've always liked weathering/battle damage the best when it tells a story. Like a unit originally deployed on some airless planet/moon for a long time and quickly redeployed to a dusty world before there was time to do cosmetic maintenance? That would show a specific pattern of weathering. Or maybe one deployed somewhere with a highly-corrosive environment, etc. Even within an army you have an opportunity to do really different styles of weathering. Close quarters/melee units would probably have different kinds of cosmetic damage than backline artillery, since they'd be taking hits from different kinds of enemies. The melee units would probably have some slashes where swords and stuff bit in, but the artillery would have damage from explosive weapons or other long-range fire.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

Besides if we want to actually poke holes in Hixson's model we can point out that it has a Legio Mortis emblem even though that's not the correct paint scheme for Mortis in m31.

Hey this is Legio Ulricon and that’s just a skull, friend

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Y'know, you would think for having maintenance teams of literal cult-like work devotion and hordes of lobotomized servitor-labor the Imperium could at least keep the paint spruced up on their invaluable god-machines so they don't look like a 20+ year old farm tractor.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Every part of that titan loving owns

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

darnon posted:

Y'know, you would think for having maintenance teams of literal cult-like work devotion and hordes of lobotomized servitor-labor the Imperium could at least keep the paint spruced up on their invaluable god-machines so they don't look like a 20+ year old farm tractor.

This is Heresy era not farty kay.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished three bugs today. Go full-screen to see the texture on the carapace and see why I love drybrushing so much.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting the big-boy.

Designation: Deathwatch Revered Brother Belmont formerly of the Black Templars.
Occupation: Part time children's entertainer, full time righteous fist of the Holy Emperor.
Hobbies: Walking through snow, reading and plasma gunning Xenos in the face.
Dislikes: Xenos

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

darnon posted:

It's like painting the Forth Bridge. But in a warzone. While the bridge is walking.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's awful. Mail it to me and I will dispose of it appropriately. By being bad at dice games and getting it killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

darnon posted:

Nah