Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

I felt pretty knowledgeable when, after snagging the new plumbing for my faucet, I paused while walking away, turned around, and immediately bought two backup 1/4 turn stop valves :hmmyes:

Didn't need em, surprisingly!

But now you have them! Which means you'll never need em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

But now you have them! Which means you'll never need em!

Just returned them both, so I'm somehow going to need three tomorrow :coolslime:

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I have an outdoor light fixture with three sockets for candelabra bulbs. Are there dusk/dawn lights that play well with each other in the same fixture?

Yeah I could put IoT bulbs in there but that’s expensive.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Bobcats posted:

I have an outdoor light fixture with three sockets for candelabra bulbs. Are there dusk/dawn lights that play well with each other in the same fixture?

Yeah I could put IoT bulbs in there but that’s expensive.

You could replace the light switch with a smart one, they’re pretty easy to install assuming it’s not a 3way switch.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Verman posted:

Yes, they sent over their proof of insurance and it is valid for 2023, same with their license and bond. I also double checked with the public records and its all up to date there as well.

Their legal was pretty short and sweet. I omitted their name to keep things anonymous.

Quotation when signed by both parties becomes a legal and binding contract and will serve as the invoice. By signing this quotation sheet, you have read and understand the above charges, and agree with the contract as written. Non-payment could result in legal action that could include a lien against the above stated property. Also the client will be held liable for any and all legal fees and court costs in an attempt to collect this debt. The client understands that tree work and stump grinding are separate jobs and payments are due upon completion of each job. Occasionally there are unforeseen circumstances that can alter a bid. (COMPANY NAME) reserves the right to re-estimate and/or walk away from any job if the client and (COMPANY NAME) are unable to agree to terms of new charges. Although (COMPANY NAME) makes every effort to clear the job site, some sawdust may remain. Firewood will be consolidated to the closest reason¬able area to the tree it came from unless otherwise specified in this quotation. Prices are subject to change if any modifications are made from the original estimate. Credit card payments will result in a 3% convenience charge added to the total invoice. (COMPANY NAME) takes responsibility for any damage to surrounding buildings or structures caused by tree work performed by (COMPANY NAME). It is the client’s, responsibility to provide (COMPANY NAME) the location of any underground sep¬tic, drainage and utilities. (COMPANY NAME) will not be held responsibility for damage caused to any underground structures that the client neglected to inform (COMPANY NAME) of their existence prior to the start of the job.

IANAL but I’d probably just draft my own superseding contract that pays them for all work performed, offering them a reasonable amount. If you receive and retain some benefit without compensating them that’s outside the terms contemplated by the contract you have and is generally unjust/inequitable for you to get/keep, that could be a cause of action called unjust enrichment or quantum meirut.

That seems like that might be the case here not withstanding any other laws protecting service providers.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 20, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiny Timbs posted:

this part is where your 30 minute fix can go very wrong lol

Ugh. Rebuilt a 1957 Crane slant-back sink so my sister would not toss it. It was installed when new

Finding a faucet for one of these was hard - I wound up buying a sink from a plumber in Chicago.

Turned out, rebuilding the faucet & valves was easy, compared to shutting the water off to install the new innards. The sink valve shutoffs were original.

And paper-thin, through a wet-bed tile wall. Which dropped into a 12" crawlspace, because 1950, when the house was built.

I had to shut off the house main.

Got permission to hammer open the wall, and got juuust enough solid copper to solder on a stub.

https://i.imgur.com/0xIDUtU.mp4

Upgraded to 1/4-turns. So far, so good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat, that's a beautiful sink.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

edit: deleted for doxxable details

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 20, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Crane sinks are so nice. Thank you for saving another one!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you tell me a bit about remediating knob and tube? How did you open the walls up for the vertical runs? I'm curious because my knob-and-tube runs behind irreplaceable horizontal redwood bead board, so it's probably there for keeps. And we have no intention of messing with the attic insulation.

We were pretty fortunate, all things considered, but we did pay for it. A combination of the skill of our electricians and the layout of our house meant to do the whole house (two story, 1400 square foot foursquare) involved exactly 3 holes in the ceiling of our entry way (that got covered with round boxes with blank plates) plus a ceiling tile in the kitchen that was delicately removed and replaced. We paid something like $23k for the work. We're in an area with enough old homes and a big enough electrical contractor that they had a crew dedicated to just doing knob & tube work, so they were experts at fishing cable through walls without doing damage. We got another quote that was like half the price, but I'm sure they would torn up tons of walls because it would save them 3 minutes, and they weren't responsible for any of the patching.

So it may very well be possible to keep your wall intact, you just need to be sure you're upfront about that, and evaluate the contractors based on how they're willing to accommodate that.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you tell me a bit about remediating knob and tube? How did you open the walls up for the vertical runs? I'm curious because my knob-and-tube runs behind irreplaceable horizontal redwood bead board, so it's probably there for keeps. And we have no intention of messing with the attic insulation.

you can just disconnect and leave the knob and tube and then fish in new runs from your basement/attic

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamn, I hadn't heard of these sinks before and was expecting something not nearly that nice. Well loving done saving something like that from the dump.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Verman posted:

This is what we're thinking. I have to assume the owner knows they are in the wrong and don't have solid ground to stand on. I can't imagine he would decide not to negotiate something vs taking it to court given he's already in the hot seat for workplace safety/training/etc violations but anything is possible. If I were him, I would just want this gone and move onto the next job vs being taken to court and losing because there is significant evidence against him.
It wasn't entirely clear from the original post how much work they actually got done on day 1 but I would start from the position of expecting not to pay them for anything. It's not like they used a significant quantity of a consumable material, such as if the job were concrete pour and they finished finished half before getting kicked out for example. They're only out the half day of labor which is a very small percentage of the total cost - and obviously was not utilized effectively based on the results of the half day. Most of the job's cost is likely either a crane rental, as Motronic speculated, covering their liability insurance (which maybe they did consume quite a bit of that!), and finally a healthy profit for the owner. None of which you should be compensating them for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I agree with the sentiment, but the potential fall out is a mechanics lien on the house, so it's definitely something to discuss ahead of time and come to an agreement on.

Sometimes you pay to avoid extra problems even when you're right and they're wrong.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The "nice" thing about knob and tube is that any house it's in in almost definitely balloon construction so fishing the walls from the floor above or below (or from the basement to the attic for that matter) is quite easy. Someone experiences in reno electrical work of that type should be able to rewire that wall without any issues. You're basically just killing the circuit, cutting the box out (if it's not a type you can disassemble in the wall, which is very well might be) fish tape down, find the fish tape in the basement, tape a new piece of romex on, pull it up through the box/hole then reassemble the box/put in an old work box. It's all really do-able, and rewiring your house is no doubt a series of small puzzles like this, all ending at a new panel in the basement or outside since y'all weird like that with your panels in CA.

Sometimes you'll run into horizontal bracing, but a long flexible drill bit makes quick work of that.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 20, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Ugh. Rebuilt a 1957 Crane slant-back sink so my sister would not toss it. It was installed when new

Finding a faucet for one of these was hard - I wound up buying a sink from a plumber in Chicago.

Turned out, rebuilding the faucet & valves was easy, compared to shutting the water off to install the new innards. The sink valve shutoffs were original.

And paper-thin, through a wet-bed tile wall. Which dropped into a 12" crawlspace, because 1950, when the house was built.

I had to shut off the house main.

Got permission to hammer open the wall, and got juuust enough solid copper to solder on a stub.

https://i.imgur.com/0xIDUtU.mp4

Upgraded to 1/4-turns. So far, so good

This entire bathroom reminds me of my grandparents' 1950s-built house from the pink tile and green fixtures. :3: Well done.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but the potential fall out is a mechanics lien on the house, so it's definitely something to discuss ahead of time and come to an agreement on.

Sometimes you pay to avoid extra problems even when you're right and they're wrong

This is a reasonable post, and I agree with it

Reported for account sharing

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

This is a reasonable post, and I agree with it

Reported for account sharing

I agree as well - paying them for the time they actually spent is reasonable, but I would not let them back onto my property.

Are you going to be able to live with yourself if they come back and another person gets seriously injured? I don't think I could.

QuarkJets posted:

He's sitting in his truck so I go chat with him and he says he's going to head to the hospital. He's feeling jittery and has a stutter. He was electrocuted when he was hanging onto the rope. The rest of the crew finished the day and everybody headed home.

This is call an ambulance territory in the future (or at the very least have someone else drive him). What if he had passed out while driving?

devicenull fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 20, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

How do automatic lawn watering systems work.

This copper pipe coming out of the ground is leaking enough to make the ground around it wet in 90F for 6" around it in all directions. It's like 40% humidity and hasn't rained in two+ months

I'm like 80% sure this is to feed the defunct sprinkler system that's no longer in use because our yard is all native drought resistant plants now

The flow looks something like this

Copper pipe coming out of the wall is the water source. There's a hose tap that we use, below that appears to be a stuck valve, and then it goes into the ground, does a U comes up and goes into what looks like a pretty standard looking (guessing) water sprinkler water distribution system

Where the copper meets the plastic in the dist. system, it appears to be leaking.

I'm thinking, hire a plumber to

1) replace/remove the stuck valve
2) tap & cap/solder the end of the copper pipe shut to stop the leak

What would that cost in California? Like $500?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have xfinity and we've been out of the 2-year promotional period for a few months now, so I logged in tonight and checked whether we could snag any discounts - they'll give me a $2/mo discount if I sign up for a 1-year contract. Meh no thanks

In an incognito window I decided to try ordering internet as a "new customer" just to see how the rates were. With discounts, our monthly bill would be roughly $30/month cheaper. So I went through the ordering process planning to have my spouse fill in the personal details, but before I got to that part it asked if I wanted to log in with an existing xfinity id and I said "you know what, gently caress it" and logged in. This apparently worked - it's literally the same account login details but there's a new number assigned to it with a fat 2-year promotional discount applied, and I automatically received a cancellation request for the old account id

e: I'm guessing I'll need to make a phone call tomorrow to get the modem switched over, but we'll see!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 21, 2023

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

e: I'm guessing I'll need to make a phone call tomorrow to get the modem switched over, but we'll see!

I'm curious to see how this plays out because I am in the same situation and was just thinking about trying to get a discount.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I have xfinity and we've been out of the 2-year promotional period for a few months now, so I logged in tonight and checked whether we could snag any discounts - they'll give me a $2/mo discount if I sign up for a 1-year contract. Meh no thanks

In an incognito window I decided to try ordering internet as a "new customer" just to see how the rates were. With discounts, our monthly bill would be roughly $30/month cheaper. So I went through the ordering process planning to have my spouse fill in the personal details, but before I got to that part it asked if I wanted to log in with an existing xfinity id and I said "you know what, gently caress it" and logged in. This apparently worked - it's literally the same account login details but there's a new number assigned to it with a fat 2-year promotional discount applied, and I automatically received a cancellation request for the old account id

You have to call or use the chat service (I always use the chat service) to get the actual deals. They stopped showing most of the packages on the site. Typically I don't even have to do the pretend-to-cancel rigamarole, I just ask the person to find me a better deal.

Also check your local rate card: https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What's the best way to get rid of a frankly unreasonable amount of wood chips? I guess I can handle raking the yard and garden and adding them to the big pile, but I have no idea what to do to the pile itself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the best way to get rid of a frankly unreasonable amount of wood chips? I guess I can handle raking the yard and garden and adding them to the big pile, but I have no idea what to do to the pile itself.

Use them for mulch, compost them, or post a picture of the pile on Nextdoor or something and say it's free if you pick it up.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you know any beavers?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Use them for mulch, compost them, or post a picture of the pile on Nextdoor or something and say it's free if you pick it up.

The compost suggestion sent me down a rabbithole and apparently any I can sterilize they make an excellent substrate for setting up some wine cap beds, so maybe I can do that with some of them. I think there's too many (I'm guessing the previous owners were planning on replacing the entire yard with them and then some? Or maybe chipped a whole tree or something and just left them there?) for that to be the whole solution so maybe a combination of all three options is best.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I have a giant pile of chips in the street in front of my house that I am using to cover all the grass on my property, eventually. I have to finish painting the exterior of the house first but because chip drop can take weeks to months to deliver I placed the order before I was ready... 1 week later I get a full truck load of chips that spill halfway across the road. I moved them closer to the curb and it's been fun to watch the neighbors eyes bug out when they see the pile.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

raggedphoto posted:

I have a giant pile of chips in the street in front of my house that I am using to cover all the grass on my property, eventually. I have to finish painting the exterior of the house first but because chip drop can take weeks to months to deliver I placed the order before I was ready... 1 week later I get a full truck load of chips that spill halfway across the road. I moved them closer to the curb and it's been fun to watch the neighbors eyes bug out when they see the pile.

Oh poo poo are you my neighbor? They've had a pile that went just over the curb into the gutter for like a month and then one day I saw him moving it... He just moved what was over the gutter. So it's a pile with one vertical cliff at the edge of sidewalk. I look at it and think maybe it's a help myself to a bucket situation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to getting a chip drop soonish, but i gotta get some other poo poo done first so I've wisely not requested one yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The drive motor on my 2 year old Ego motor has seized :negative:

rip

At least I was able to rip the wheel guts out and turn it into a push mower

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

StormDrain posted:

Oh poo poo are you my neighbor? They've had a pile that went just over the curb into the gutter for like a month and then one day I saw him moving it... He just moved what was over the gutter. So it's a pile with one vertical cliff at the edge of sidewalk. I look at it and think maybe it's a help myself to a bucket situation.

I just left my pile in the street (taking up parking space) cause it at least acts like a bit of a speed restrictor. My neighbors joke about just having piles all down the street creating a slalom for cars to get them to slow down.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Looking forward to getting a chip drop soonish, but i gotta get some other poo poo done first so I've wisely not requested one yet.

I am not wise and have some weird anxiety about not being able to get supplies when I need them. I had 6 gallons of Bona floor finish in our apartment for a month before I used it on our new house because I was worried about shipping delays.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

raggedphoto posted:

You paid for them? Around here, any tree company will drop an entire truckload of woodchips for you for free (saves them having to dispose of it)

I guess that's not an option if you want something other then natural colored.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a tree trimming place 3 blocks from my house that always has massive piles of wood chips, free for the taking. If I wanted a massive amount I'm sure I could call them up and have them dump a truck load in my driveway rather than in their driveway. Paying for wood chips is a suckers game.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I think OP said they used ChipDrop which is free.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

why you drop chip? :D :D :D

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Yep, free from chip drop which is why it could take a few weeks to months to get the chips since it’s a popular program here. I have friends that were on the list for 3+ months so I guess we just got lucky.

Up at 5:30 am so I can paint my house today! :)

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 22, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

millenials these days only lie and get drop chip

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Popped open the service panel on my fridge to diagnose an annoying buzzing and also noticed this:

Should I be concerned about this corrosion in my <1 year old fridge? It looks like they used acid flux and failed to clean after.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah.....this is about what you can expect these days from chinese and korean appliance manufacturing. I'd wipe it off with a damp cloth and then forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Figured as much. Incidentally the buzzing noise was probably because whomever was on the line that day couldn't be bothered to actually attach one corner of the compressor bracket.