Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Splinter posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I was focusing on Epiphones mainly because I was already familiar with their models. I didn't really know where to start with other brands. Gretsch isn't really my style, but I'll definitely check out Ibanez. The AM93 in particular looks great. I'd have no problem paying the additional $150 over a 339 if the quality difference is really as noticeable as what I've been reading online indicates. Hopefully one of the local stores stocks these.

The Sheraton 2 might be a bit of a stretch, budget wise, and I've been focusing more on the models with smaller bodies, but I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in the shop. Any thoughts on how it compares to the AM93 or other similar Ibanez guitars, quality wise?

My two reasons for looking at smaller bodies like the 339/coupe are I a) find the smaller body 'fits' me better (I'm not a big dude), and b) like the idea of a semi-hollow that can venture closer to Les Paul territory. Does what you've written on construction mean that b) applies much more to the 339 in particular rather than all smaller semi-hollows in general (e.g. the AM93)?

The AM93 has maple back and sides, I think a laminate (which is the best material to do that kind of work, don't be put off by that it just works best in the presses they use to shape the body parts).

If you wanted the ultimate cross between a Les Paul and a 335 that would be the Gibson Midtown imo, it's a solid mahogany body routed out, but the size is between a 339 and 335. They are technically a flat top.

There are deals to be had on them too:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson...wESJRoC8Fvw_wcB

They are lovely things, so if you were stretching to get an AM93 these aren't too much more really and are a sort of sleeper model in my eyes, not everyone knows about them but everyone seems to love them.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a 120w Orange Crush head with a 2x12 cab and it sounds great, but I can't make music from that into my PC - nor is it particularly good if I want to cart it to an open mic.

I'm thinking of one of three options

- get myself an audio interface and a mic (so I can record vocals to), or
- get myself a THR10c or some other desktop amp with direct recording via USB
- get myself a nice acoustic

The only steel acoustic I've played on much was a Yamaha FG310 which really just soured me on the whole thing. I don't like the sound of Parlors but full size Dreads are uncomfortable. I had a lovely nylon string for a while but I couldn't gel with it musically. What are your thoughts, goonswarm?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
THR. Great for recording. Even does great for playback of the mix.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fullroundaction posted:

Just finished my second listen through of The Dundalk Horror and I can't get enough of it :rock:

Linking again because it needs more goon love: http://blindingeyedog.bandcamp.com/album/the-dundalk-horror

Re: Lunix Chat: Hackintosh->Logic X

Thank you so much! :glomp:

This is the first album I was really involved in (ie, not only being in the band for six months playing stuff written by all my predecessors like the last one) and I'm glad it's still enjoyable without the live visual gimmick!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've come full circle: the very first guitar I put my eyes on when I wanted to play was an all-black strat - I learned on an SG and then bought myself an MIA Stratocaster because I'm a manchild who couldn't control his impulse purchases. I went through a bundle of different guitars: an acoustic, a classical, and then flipped the Strat into a Jackson Dinky and an '88 MIJ Ibanez 540S. After a while, I realise that neither of those guitars can really 'do' subtle. I've got a massive Orange Crush 120 head so I've got bundles of clean room, but there's no sparkle from a massive humbucker - so I've just put a bid on the most gnarly '85 MIJ Stratocaster: reddish 3TSB and a Kahler tremolo. I can't wait! Before I end up spending more than it's worth - is there anything I should know about these guys? They're fuji-gen AFAIK and so from what I've heard broadly on-par with the MIA stuff before Fender moved their facilities and offshored to Japan for a few years.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

spamman posted:

That's the wide one right? Did you buy their bag/case with it?

It is, I think! The whole thing was a collective birthday present from my gf and family a few years back, so I don't know a lot of the specifics. But they did make sure I got the bag, which is a good thing 'cause this sucker is heavy!

Southern Heel posted:

I've come full circle: the very first guitar I put my eyes on when I wanted to play was an all-black strat - I learned on an SG and then bought myself an MIA Stratocaster because I'm a manchild who couldn't control his impulse purchases. I went through a bundle of different guitars: an acoustic, a classical, and then flipped the Strat into a Jackson Dinky and an '88 MIJ Ibanez 540S. After a while, I realise that neither of those guitars can really 'do' subtle. I've got a massive Orange Crush 120 head so I've got bundles of clean room, but there's no sparkle from a massive humbucker - so I've just put a bid on the most gnarly '85 MIJ Stratocaster: reddish 3TSB and a Kahler tremolo. I can't wait! Before I end up spending more than it's worth - is there anything I should know about these guys? They're fuji-gen AFAIK and so from what I've heard broadly on-par with the MIA stuff before Fender moved their facilities and offshored to Japan for a few years.

I've never met a Japanese Fender I didn't love. The Kahler ones are basically classic Strat's with a Floyd-alternative trem - can't go wrong. I would suggest you start sourcing Kahler parts now, though, just in case.

Source - I've got essentially the same MIJ Strat in blue with a standard bridge and it started my Fender Japan addiction.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

field balm posted:

Thanks, but i'm between jobs, with little money but lots of time. Rather save funds for a project strat or some pedals!

Since it was gonna be a while before I could get my hands on a heat gun, i grabbed a beer, some sandpaper and an am radio and decided to zen out and give sanding the back a go.

This is probably after 45 minutes or something. The poo poo is thick but i don't think its impossible (and the effort can only add to the tone, right?).

Wood underneath doesn't look too bad.

Down to the sealer now, the front side is looking similar. I'm not looking forward to sanding the sides, might try the hairdryer thing on them. Pretty impressed by the decent wood for a squier standard.

Anyone got tips for making a tele work for jazz? I think i'll chuck 250 pots in. Is there much difference soundwise between a 3 and 6 saddle bridge?

Also, any tips on what kind of topcoat will yellow/darken the most?

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 25, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

field balm posted:

Also, any tips on what kind of topcoat will yellow/darken the most?

Lacquer.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After The War posted:

I've never met a Japanese Fender I didn't love. The Kahler ones are basically classic Strat's with a Floyd-alternative trem - can't go wrong. I would suggest you start sourcing Kahler parts now, though, just in case.

Source - I've got essentially the same MIJ Strat in blue with a standard bridge and it started my Fender Japan addiction.

Yeah, my Ibanez is Fujigen IIRC and it's just out of this world so I'm confident in buying unplayed - but what do you mean about buying Kahler parts? You mean to replace that which may be shagged when it arrives, or that there's a burgeoning rarity?

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
339s are basically mini 335s, same sort of construction. Laminate + centre block. http://www.gibson.com/Productos/Guitarras-Electricas/2015/Memphis/ES-339.aspx

The CS336 and Midtown are chambered mahogany.

I have a Midtown Custom and it's excellent. I've since had a 2015 Les Paul Traditional and a 2016 Les Paul Standard and got rid of both as the Midtown is more versatile and can sound a lot meaner & heavier. The Les Pauls kick the Midtowns rear end in looks though (finish, fancy wood, etc) and QA but they were a lot more expensive. Midtown Custom has the same Burstbucker pickups Gibson put on Les Paul Standards, they're excellent imho.

339s and 335s can do Les Paul type stuff fine though. I play pretty heavy stuff that you wouldn't associate with semi hollows but have pretty much stopped playing solids now. A 335 is pretty much a Les Paul +.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CabaretVoltaire posted:

339s are basically mini 335s, same sort of construction. Laminate + centre block. http://www.gibson.com/Productos/Guitarras-Electricas/2015/Memphis/ES-339.aspx

The CS336 and Midtown are chambered mahogany.

I have a Midtown Custom and it's excellent. I've since had a 2015 Les Paul Traditional and a 2016 Les Paul Standard and got rid of both as the Midtown is more versatile and can sound a lot meaner & heavier. The Les Pauls kick the Midtowns rear end in looks though (finish, fancy wood, etc) and QA but they were a lot more expensive. Midtown Custom has the same Burstbucker pickups Gibson put on Les Paul Standards, they're excellent imho.

339s and 335s can do Les Paul type stuff fine though. I play pretty heavy stuff that you wouldn't associate with semi hollows but have pretty much stopped playing solids now. A 335 is pretty much a Les Paul +.

Oh wow, sorry for the brain fart where I said 339s are routed out, you are right.
I'll edit my post

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

field balm posted:

Anyone got tips for making a tele work for jazz? I think i'll chuck 250 pots in. Is there much difference soundwise between a 3 and 6 saddle bridge?

250k pots are generally best for single coil, and the main difference between a 3 and 6 saddle bridge is the 6 saddle is a lot easier to intonate individual strings. You can do it with a 3 saddle by bending the screws, but why bother honestly.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Southern Heel posted:

Yeah, my Ibanez is Fujigen IIRC and it's just out of this world so I'm confident in buying unplayed - but what do you mean about buying Kahler parts? You mean to replace that which may be shagged when it arrives, or that there's a burgeoning rarity?

Oh, I'm sure it will be fine - it's just that Kahler was never as big as Floyd Rose (and their many knockoffs), so if/when you do need to replace something you won't be able to get it quickly. But Kahler is still around, so that's a good sign!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After The War posted:

Oh, I'm sure it will be fine - it's just that Kahler was never as big as Floyd Rose (and their many knockoffs), so if/when you do need to replace something you won't be able to get it quickly. But Kahler is still around, so that's a good sign!

Thanks - the seller has bought some new hex nuts and will ship them to me, since I've just laid the cash down for this mother fucker:

Can't decide which I like more but bother have got that vibe.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Now put some sinners in it

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

peter gabriel posted:

Oh wow, sorry for the brain fart where I said 339s are routed out, you are right.
I'll edit my post

i don't think it makes a massive difference tbf.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CabaretVoltaire posted:

i don't think it makes a massive difference tbf.

Yeah I agree, but well, bad info is bad

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that a Kahler Spider?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

No idea, how would I find out?

Shugojin posted:

Now put some sinners in it

Oh god I was thinking exactly this... I may leave it a while first though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks - the seller has bought some new hex nuts and will ship them to me, since I've just laid the cash down for this mother fucker:

Can't decide which I like more but bother have got that vibe.

Do the black pickguard, it looks tight as dickskin.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Southern Heel posted:

It'll have "Spider" etched near the trem arm hole. If it is a Spider it's not really your traditional Kahler trem but a licensed Floyd-a-like. Well either way it is a Licensed floyd-a-like, but I'm not sure of the exact model.

e: it's "Spyder" apparently, lol

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Woowoo just "graduated" from those Berklee online courses I've mentioned. Really great boot camp for songwriting and home recording, would definitely recommend for anyone looking to get started who wants a solid foundation on basic music theory / lyric composition / DAW fundamentals.

https://www.coursera.org/account/accomplishments/certificate/X5H87QPYMP9Y

My wife sang on a couple of the songs I recorded, and the vocals turned out pretty okay, so I think I'm going to use and abuse her to help me get my lovely punk EP out the door sooner than later. She seems strangely okay with having to constantly sing about running away from skeletons or whatever.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

muike posted:

It'll have "Spider" etched near the trem arm hole. If it is a Spider it's not really your traditional Kahler trem but a licensed Floyd-a-like. Well either way it is a Licensed floyd-a-like, but I'm not sure of the exact model.

e: it's "Spyder" apparently, lol

From what I can gather it looks like a Spider, i.e. a FR-alike but with a stiffer arm, and the Steeler is a new design with bridge-edge pivoting. I'll let you know how it pans out, it should be here in a few days and I'll give it a full tear-down, while it would be nice to have the Bentley of bridges, I'm quite happy with a Mercedes as my Ibanez Sabre is really for crazy dive-bombs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Southern Heel posted:

I mean definitely get a feel for the stock pickups first. My SSS is a made in Korea G&L so it uses the really quite decent G&L pickups made in the California factory so I haven't done the Sinner thing yet

I'm probably gonna get a Squier CV with a maple fretboard and do it some day though

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a current Strat equivalent of the CV50s Tele quality?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Been catching up on SGDQ because I'm a dumb nerd and goddamnit I love Castlevania music.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-novak-5/just-think-about-dracula

Had fun screwing around for a half hour recording the final boss music from CV2.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a current Strat equivalent of the CV50s Tele quality?

The one I tried was great quality, plus it's Burgundy Mist Metallic with a matching headstock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s-electric-guitar

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fullroundaction posted:

Been catching up on SGDQ because I'm a dumb nerd and goddamnit I love Castlevania music.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-novak-5/just-think-about-dracula

Had fun screwing around for a half hour recording the final boss music from CV2.

Ha, sounds like the Minibosses. I can dig it!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like it alot - did you check the tabs or play by ear?

Shugojin posted:

I mean definitely get a feel for the stock pickups first. My SSS is a made in Korea G&L so it uses the really quite decent G&L pickups made in the California factory so I haven't done the Sinner thing yet

I'm probably gonna get a Squier CV with a maple fretboard and do it some day though

Malmsteen?

Is anyone even broadly interested in vlog-style guitar videos? I've got the gear and I've come to realise that actual output rather than constant practise and jamming is pretty imperative for learning - or is it better to focus on songs? I feel even the worst vocal songs generally have more connection than good instrumentals - I'm leaning towards getting that mic for better or worse. USB Mic + THR10c or interface + SM58 (again.....)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 27, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

After The War posted:

Ha, sounds like the Minibosses. I can dig it!

I was obsessed with those dudes in the early 2000s. I have half of a recording of a Phantasy Star medley done in their style that I really need to finish.

Southern Heel posted:

I like it alot - did you check the tabs or play by ear?

Downloaded a random MIDI off of a fan site and read the notes off Logic's piano roll. The best thing about wanting to learn VG music is that all of that MIDI data is floating out there somewhere. I did simplify the rhythm chords into inverted/power since they weren't written for guitar, and changed 2 of the lead notes to make it playable on 2 strings instead of 3, but yeah the original loop is mostly intact.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The white PG looks better on that awesome Strat; I much prefer white / mint pickguards on classic Fender colors.

Also, making a Tele work for Jazz isn't too hard (not that I'm good enough to play Jazz, really), the neck pickup is basically made for this. Adjust tone to taste. I recorded this (yeah, it's amateurish, but I just want to illustrate what I mean) on my Suhr's neck pickup with the tone very slightly rolled down I think. I'd say it's pretty jazzy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wengy posted:

The white PG looks better on that awesome Strat; I much prefer white / mint pickguards on classic Fender colors.

I'm with you on this, and I really don't even know why

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's like shoes and belts, pickguards generally should match inlays.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Came across this as a "suggested video" on YouTube, and thought it might interest some. Steve Vai talking about "Deeper Than Technique".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3zDCf8Mzc

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

comes along bort posted:

It's like shoes and belts, pickguards generally should match inlays.

And straps should match/complement pickguards. :colbert:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Speaking of "classic" Strat looks, I just took delivery of my very first Strat-type guitar... A Thorn R/S. It owns.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 28, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think you forgot to turn off the mirror on your iphone bruh

Seriously though, looks great - very delicate around the neck.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks! I'm blown away by the neck joint, just amazingly stable. This thing rings out like an acoustic guitar. Also: best trem I've ever used, even nicer and smoother than the amazing Mastery.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That is definitely a gorgeous strat :allears:

Although I couldn't help but notice that there weren't little pieces of plastic film haphazardly sticking out from underneath the screws in the pickguard. Doesn't feel like a real strat to me without those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fullroundaction posted:

Although I couldn't help but notice that there weren't little pieces of plastic film haphazardly sticking out from underneath the screws in the pickguard. Doesn't feel like a real strat to me without those.

Leave it to guitarists to be too stupid to figure out how to unscrew the pickguard screws a couple turns to get the plastic all the way off.