Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raygereio posted:

No, you said you shouldn't be "manually saving". Which indicated you thought CASM's saves are different then hard saves somehow.

I thought they were? The whole reason I got CASM was because someone on this forum was talking about how regular saves are bugged in some way, and that CASM is an alternative to prevent those bugs from occurring.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

2house2fly posted:

Is there a mod that just adds more campfire recipes? I've found a couple of mods that are close but they also add a load of ammo schematics and craftable weapons and whatever. I don't need any of that, I just find myself one ingredient short at campfires a lot and I'd like some more cookery options.

Haven't tried it but there's Wasteland Gourmet.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44493/

I use some of the guy's other mods and they're good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I thought they were? The whole reason I got CASM was because someone on this forum was talking about how regular saves are bugged in some way, and that CASM is an alternative to prevent those bugs from occurring.
I have not seen anything to support this. CASM's biggest benefit is that it saves much more regularly than I would, though that's pushed me up to the #0290's and I haven't even finished my first of the four DLC's.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Regular quick saves and auto saves are bugged/poo poo. Regular manual saves are OK (going to the menu and saving)

CASM's "Quick Save" is a full regular save without the GUI.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Like other people have said, my understanding of it is basically this (I am not a programmer and could be inaccurate or wrong):

The engine goes about creating saves in different ways, depending on whether it is a quick/autosave or a "manual" save. The former two save while you are in the middle of the game, whereas the latter is always performed from the menu (even if a game is currently active). Something about this difference causes quick/autosaves to have a greater disposition to corrupting--possibly because of the way they have to rapidly record all of the current data as it is happening and are therefore prone to erroneously recording important data, whereas manual saves are performed from the menu when everything has been stopped. And once that little kernel of "poo poo" is formed inside of a quicksave, it may take a while to blossom into a blooming CTD poo poo-conflict--perhaps hours or even days, during which time other data has been poo poo-ified--but you'll try to turn a mission in or talk to somebody or enter a room and it'll all come crashing down on you.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 1, 2015

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
This post by the creator of NVAC contains the best explanation of how the game actually saves that I've found so far. The short version is that all methods of saving use the same function and have roughly the same odds of containing bad data. Quicksaves and Autosaves only seem to have it happen more often since they tend to be done more often and when it does happen there is nothing to go back to to fix it. All CASM does special is that is saves in different files so you do have something to go back to.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

About The Armory, from the OP: It adds unique weapons as well, correct? I see in the database of it that it includes some uniques, but it also mentions that "Uniquely named weapons or those marked with (DEV) will not be found in the leveled lists and can only be found in the cabinets." Does anyone have any experience? I already got a couple of different ones (Salvage AK instead of the tutorial Varmint Rifle, for example)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Man, you know what's immensely satisfying? Editing Omegared's M-2081 to use the gauss rifle sound and visuals instead of plasma. Never liked energy weapons because of that milktoast "pew pew" sound and how achingly slow plasma projectiles are, plus they just look like a ball of snot that turns your enemies into an even bigger puddle of snot. Now I get a nice meaty "p'ching!" and a fast projectile, wish I'd thought of that sooner.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
AG's Supplementary Uniques has Thundah! which uses an immense amount of ECP but god drat if it isn't the most loving awesome energy weapon ever. You basically shoot giant loving balls of lightning at people that explode and create a minor DOT effect wherever it hits.

I've adopted it as my signature weapon, and there's nothing quite like hitting a deathclaw in the skull and it crippling all of its limbs thanks to the explosion :v:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Makes me want something like 2033's Hellbreath, a railgun for BBs. Does something like that already exist?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

delta534 posted:

This post by the creator of NVAC contains the best explanation of how the game actually saves that I've found so far. The short version is that all methods of saving use the same function and have roughly the same odds of containing bad data. Quicksaves and Autosaves only seem to have it happen more often since they tend to be done more often and when it does happen there is nothing to go back to to fix it. All CASM does special is that is saves in different files so you do have something to go back to.
That's pretty much what I always did; regular hard saves at important points in the story. The trouble is that it's pretty much impossible to figure out at what point corruption occurred just by regressing to earlier saves. Now that I think about it, save corruption might not have manifested for me the last time I played until it was time to watch the ending slides, where my game would crash almost no matter what I did or in what order they were played.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Saint Sputnik posted:

Makes me want something like 2033's Hellbreath, a railgun for BBs. Does something like that already exist?

Man I swear there was something like that in AGSU...some sort of cobbled-together rail driver. Maybe I am misremembering.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One of the things that bugged me about F3/NV Gauss rifles was that they didn't also consume a physical projectile, but I guess having a gun with two simultaneous ammo sources would be too much to ask of Gamebryo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

One of the things that bugged me about F3/NV Gauss rifles was that they didn't also consume a physical projectile, but I guess having a gun with two simultaneous ammo sources would be too much to ask of Gamebryo.
I'm pretty sure that's doable. Adding a second ammo-counter GUI would probably be the really annoying bit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Something to think about. Speaking of which, am I better off killing the Van Graffs and having the Gun Runners vendor sell all the energy weapons? Gloria's inventory seems to have stagnated despite YUP.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man I swear there was something like that in AGSU...some sort of cobbled-together rail driver. Maybe I am misremembering.

You might be talking about the Hackennguasen, or however you spell it. You find it the schematics for it in No-Bark's shed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

Mass Effect uses mass drivers that shave off bullets the size of grains of sand from a block of metal to give a capacity of many thousands of rounds with massive power. I always assumed gauss weapons worked the same way.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

What's the likely culprit of a whole bunch of textures loving up? They flicker randomly through a lot of different ones, all wrong, and just on certain objects in a scene. First it was outdoors, like roads and the Novac dino, now I'm seeing it indoors on fridges and shelves and stuff and on some outfits. Hit the mod limit? I unchecked some and deleted a bunch of other esp's from the folder but it's still happening.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would guess that your Archive Invalidated isn't working correctly and perhaps needs to be re-enabled. Was it working fine until recently or has this always been an issue?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

What's the likely culprit of a whole bunch of textures loving up? They flicker randomly through a lot of different ones, all wrong, and just on certain objects in a scene. First it was outdoors, like roads and the Novac dino, now I'm seeing it indoors on fridges and shelves and stuff and on some outfits. Hit the mod limit? I unchecked some and deleted a bunch of other esp's from the folder but it's still happening.

This happens when you go over 137 plugins, the "soft limit". Use the amazing merge plugins script on the skyrim nexus to merge together patches/smaller mods. Using Wrye Flash also helps hugely as it can merge patch mods into the bashed patch.

I have close to 300 mods installed in MO with only 129 plugins thanks to the above, and I had identical textures issues to yours when I went over 137.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I would guess that your Archive Invalidated isn't working correctly and perhaps needs to be re-enabled. Was it working fine until recently or has this always been an issue?

It's recent, though frankly I keep forgetting to try AA in FOMM to see if that helps. Next step.

BurritoJustice posted:

This happens when you go over 137 plugins, the "soft limit". Use the amazing merge plugins script on the skyrim nexus to merge together patches/smaller mods. Using Wrye Flash also helps hugely as it can merge patch mods into the bashed patch.

I have close to 300 mods installed in MO with only 129 plugins thanks to the above, and I had identical textures issues to yours when I went over 137.

Along with pruning and eventually I'll get to combining. I have a bunch of unused mods and apparently the ones in your folder, even if they're not checked, sort of count? Did a quick count and I'm around 130 enabled, including the main game esm's, and probably the same number of unchecked mods sitting in the folder.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Mass Effect uses mass drivers that shave off bullets the size of grains of sand from a block of metal to give a capacity of many thousands of rounds with massive power. I always assumed gauss weapons worked the same way.
A grain of sand has lovely aerodynamics / would melt from the friction of the air, and a shaver so intricate isn't going to work very well after 200 years but... eh. Still, BB's would work.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble with CASM lately. Normally I would assume it was just some sort of confliction, but then I saw some guy posted the exact same problem as me:

quote:

I seem to have a very strange problem. Whenever I press f4 to do a manual save, the game stops for a second as if was saving, but a majority of the time a message doesn't pop up at the top left and there's no save either in my save folder or in the load menu. I've tried a clean save and reinstall, but this problem persists.

This is a recent issue for me. I decided to reinstall CASM and found out I have an old version, but that didn't help either. The only things I have added to my install recently have been this ENB, Enhanced Shaders,, some new textures (none of which had .ESPs attached to them), and JIP Companions Command and Control. I also updated NVSE? By the way, that companion mod is awesome. Its one of those mods you don't realize you need until you use it. At first I thought it looked dumb, with the icons on the side, but now I actually love them. I initially got it because I wanted unlimited companions so I could use Rex and ED-E at the same time with Boone, and also do companion quests for people if I choose to. I was really surprised to find that nobody has made a mod that specifically allows you to use ED-E and Rex together, which was all I really wanted to begin with.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 3, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ENB by default has F4 bound to "VRAM Clean" which just attempts to free up VRAM to help performance. It interferes with CASM. Change either the ENB shortcut (in the ENBLocal.ini file) or the CASM one (in the MCM menu).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my CASM save key is F5 and I have my default quicksave as something else.

Also for an unrelated question, is there a way to make NPCs regen health without getting into combat? I hate how when I go to certain places, certain characters are always injured. Also since my mods alter the HP formula, sometimes I run into NPCs that are permanently at 2/3 health or something, presumably because their max health went up and they never regened.

edit: So it's not CASM, it works fine if I bind to something else. Clearly F5 is a hotkey for something, but I can't figure out what.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 3, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think F5 is the game's built in quicksave key, as F9 is the quickload.

By default, F1-F3, F5, and F9 are allocated by the game. ENB takes F4, apparently. Maybe switch your CASM key to F6?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with AWOP. It's hard as nails, obviously, but I'm amazed at how well crafted the levels are and how cool the lore is sometimes. Managed to get a custom made Heavy Incinerator after I took out a group of supermutants who were keeping down a smaller group. This thing owns.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Holky crap, Cazaclaws!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What has science done?!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Fallout New Vegas 2 as created by From Software's B-Team.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It'd be a stalker fallout hybrid and games would finally be art

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is the picture real or fake? 91% of people get it wrong.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Mix in some cliff racer and we got a deal

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That thing is pretty horrifying and is easily something that could have been in Old World Blues.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Mix in some cliff racer and we got a deal

That reminds me, I made these for a (bombed) photoshop thread the other month.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Little difference was felt by the inhabitants of respective world though

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
In vanilla does the "naked" (tanktop and shorts) female model walk around on their tip toes as though they are wearing imaginary heels? I just noticed that and wondered if that had always happened and I just never noticed (I guess you just never really see that model except when you loot someone. At which point they are dead, and not walking much) It looks really weird and awkward though so I tried turning all mods off but my character is still wandering around with imaginary stilettos.

I noticed it because I was loving around with the player only version of Spice of Life to see what armours worked without body mods, did it install a body mod that wasn't properly removed by fomm or something?

Edit, here is a picture, did it really always look like this or is something going on? http://i.imgur.com/wWf32Ay.jpg

Kuno fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 3, 2015

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
So I'm sure you're all familiar with the perennial problem of New Vegas crashing and not clearing some ring buffer in the audio system, leaving the last little bit of sound played looping infinitely until the system is brought down and back up again (or, on Windows 7, bless its code, simply toggling the audio driver off and on again). Of late, though, this happens every time I exit the game, even though it hasn't crashed in a while, thanks to a couple of add-ons which clean up its code and the excellent utility that lets FNV use 4 gigs of RAM. That utility I suspect is to blame, as my semi-educated guess is that since the game wasn't designed to use that much memory to begin with, it simply doesn't know that it needs to clear it all. Is there a fix to this, or am I doomed to restart the audio drivers after every play session?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kuno posted:

Edit, here is a picture, did it really always look like this or is something going on?

That looks like a mod change to me. I know you turned them off, but even turning off an ESP/ESM won't necessarily remove a modded file from taking effect -- that is, if there's a loose file in the \data\something\something directory and it's just overwriting the vanilla character pose, it's going to continue to have an impact.

if I remembered what the default file was that controlled your standing stance, it'd help more. I think they're .kf files so maybe \data\meshes\characters\ ... somethingoranother idle.kf?

also if it looks goofy when you're walking, running, crouching, crouchwalking etc there may be multiple files at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

My Goons I need help, could someone take a look-see over my load order and tell me what is wrong? I already fixed all conflicts that FNVedit could find, but whenever I try to start up the game it freezes in the title screen, without loading any words, but with the background and music runnng, like it happens when you load TTW but in TTW it only happens for at most a minute, here it kept on being frozen for over 15 minutes before I had to force close the game, every time

GameMode=FalloutNV

FalloutNV.esm=1
DeadMoney.esm=1
HonestHearts.esm=1
OldWorldBlues.esm=1
GunRunnersArsenal.esm=1
LonesomeRoad.esm=1
TribalPack.esm=1
ClassicPack.esm=1
MercenaryPack.esm=1
CaravanPack.esm=1
Fallout3.esm=1