Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

BioMe posted:

It would be really interesting to see how they'd restructure the game world if they did that.

I mean would anyone really mind if they went that route? We've all already explored the world map at least once. Kind of takes away the whole point of exploration.

If anything it'd make the Midgar Zolom run on foot/on chocobo that much more of an adrenaline rush with a huge realistic looking serpent rushing through the marsh to attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

BioMe posted:

It would be really interesting to see how they'd restructure the game world if they did that.

I mean would anyone really mind if they went that route? We've all already explored the world map at least once. Kind of takes away the whole point of exploration.

Would anyone mind if they changed a significant feature of a classic JRPG into something that is very commonly complained about in recent JRPGs? I'm thinking yes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
What, there are people who don't yet suspect that they're only re-releasing VII to build hype for VII-2, Barret and Tifa's Excellent Adventure and VII-3, Aerith Returns?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You make it sound like Barret and Tifa's Excellent Adventure is supposed to be a bad thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rodyle posted:

You make it sound like Barret and Tifa's Excellent Adventure is supposed to be a bad thing

Barret's probably gonna look like this, remember

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

We saw him and Cloud from the back. They're wearing their old clothes.

Fishnet only offers a +2 defense bonus anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Oh yeah but physically Barret looks... not Barret.

Obviously a problem with adapting hyperdeformed characters to a realistic style, but they just failed to get Barret at all.

EDIT also goddamn did cloud skip arm day, soldier my arse *shakes fist* japaaaaaaaaaan

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MikeJF posted:

Not enough posing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I for one am looking forward to the cutscene of rushing through a swamp on a chocobo and having to press X at the right time to dodge a pouncing and oddly aggressive serpent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nighthand posted:

I for one am looking forward to the cutscene of rushing through a swamp on a chocobo and having to press X at the right time to dodge a pouncing and oddly aggressive serpent.

Well poo poo, that's....probably going to happen, huh? :sigh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah but physically Barret looks... not Barret.

Obviously a problem with adapting hyperdeformed characters to a realistic style, but they just failed to get Barret at all.

EDIT also goddamn did cloud skip arm day, soldier my arse *shakes fist* japaaaaaaaaaan

Magic space-alien juice makes bull steroids look like springwater, brah.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nighthand posted:

Are you mixing Final Fantasy up with Resident Evil? I don't know why you're expecting that to happen.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Are you mixing Final Fantasy up with Resident Evil? I don't know why you're expecting that to happen.

FFXIII-2 plus the Midgar Zolom

Unfortunately it isn't too far removed from the realms of possibility with them.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

All this remake theorizing is worse than EU talk.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxxidation posted:

Lucky thing we use bangles here, brah :smug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Woebin posted:

All this remake theorizing is worse than EU talk.

Well I think the remake will feature cloud in the digital age, having just discovered this great web forum where he can post about his favorite games at the gold saucer and play them with/for the thread.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

RIP 1997-2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Digging the optimism.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Aurain posted:

Digging the optimism.
Well, whenever, I could change it to 20XX if you prefer. That'd be a hell of a crossover.

Just figured the 20th anniversary made sense.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

notoriousman posted:

Just figured the 20th anniversary made sense.

This was sort of my mental timeline too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

They did say that they were going to change parts of the game, right? I know it won't happen, but I'm secretly hoping they just say "gently caress it, we have two years and the main storyline is done. Let's just add in a new mode where you just fight against Shinra the whole game. No Sephiroth, no Jenova, just Avalanche going around blowing up reactors and fighting against the Turks and Shinra. That'll blow the long-time fan's minds."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this is still kind of optimistic.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

notoriousman posted:

Well, whenever, I could change it to 20XX if you prefer. That'd be a hell of a crossover.

I approve of this reference.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

So Nicholas Cage?

rickiep00h posted:

I have zero problem with this.

This. How do we make this happen? Because we need this.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Randalor posted:

They did say that they were going to change parts of the game, right? I know it won't happen, but I'm secretly hoping they just say "gently caress it, we have two years and the main storyline is done. Let's just add in a new mode where you just fight against Shinra the whole game. No Sephiroth, no Jenova, just Avalanche going around blowing up reactors and fighting against the Turks and Shinra. That'll blow the long-time fan's minds."

That's actually a pretty cool idea. I could see people doing speedruns of it if it was short enough. As in, instead of the 30 or so hours it takes to beat the main game (going off of my first playthrough), only have it take about 8-10 for the first playthrough of...I guess we could call it Reactor Attack? (this is a stupid name, i know)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MikeJF posted:

:downs:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or after loving with the reactors in Midgar, the president and Rufus escape by helicopter and the party leaves Midgar to try to sabotage Shinra's other operations. Have a section where you have to infiltrate the army base in Junon to sabotage the mako cannon, stop the mako infusion experiments in Nibelheim... Really, you could pretty much just re-write the first disc or so of the game, keep Aeris alive, possibly involve Wutai in the plot, have the final dungeon be the return to Midgar and the final assault on Shinra's HQ before they can fire the Sister Ray and destroy Wutai.

Oh, and have the end of the Kalm flashback be:
Tifa: Cloud... You weren't at Nibelheim when that happened. The man that was there with Sephiroth had black hair and was named Zack.
Cloud: Yes I was. I mean, just because I wasn't a SOLDIER 1st class and just a regular soldier doesn't mean I wasn't there. After the town burned down Zack and I left Shinra and travelled the world for a few years. Last time I saw Zack was in Wutai. He decided to help rebuild town and gave me his sword to remember him by.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hope they up the vicious terrorist acts you perform in Midgar. A constant stream of NPCs talking about their friends dead and you feel awful for targeting innocents all the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I want Square-Enix to use all their technology and prowess to make as many babies explode and disintegrate as possible after the #7 reactor bomb explodes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, they DID decide to fund another Yoko Taro game, so it's not as unlikely as you think.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I want Square-Enix to use all their technology and prowess to make as many babies explode and disintegrate as possible after the #7 reactor bomb explodes.

Yoko Taro technically works for Square-Enix, so they do have an expert in having the player do horrible things and making them aware of it on board. Maybe SE will be able to save money by sharing assets of burning children between this and Nier 2!

e:f,b

Aithon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 21, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
NieR 2 is the working title for the FF& remake :unsmigghh:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I really love how people keep trying to keep Aeris alive in this game. And by love I mean, get very amused that they keep forgetting her living invalidates the rest of the story going forward. :cawg:

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2015

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SorataYuy posted:

I really love how people keep trying to keep Aeris alive in this game. And by love I mean, get very amused that they keep forgetting her living invalidates the rest of the story going forward. :cawg:

Aeris lives = Holy destroys Meteor and Sephiroth just sulks at the North Pole and becomes Gaia's incredibly morbid Santa Claus.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Someone with more talent than me make Sad Sephiroth wearing his Santa hat.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
The saddest Sephi

E; Can't wait to see more of the remake, I really hope the battle system is super good, I'm not saying keep it atb or turnbased and old, but at least consider how to keep it kinda recognizable. And new Materia.

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 22, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Who was the guy who whipped FF14 into shape? It was Yoshi-something. Is he involved with the remake?

If he is, then that would make me somewhat hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Who was the guy who whipped FF14 into shape? It was Yoshi-something. Is he involved with the remake?

If he is, then that would make me somewhat hopeful.

Seems like it's the same people that did the other spin-offs, except Crisis Core. So it's not looking all that great.

• Locked thread