Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm gonna have to say naaaaaahhhh. If there's one thing Cook learned from Jobs its focus, this is gonna be all about the watch. IMHO the 12-inch will probably be announced later in the month or later at its own event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only thing about the new MBA is that it looks like they've been sitting on a ton of cases and displays waiting for Intel to get their poo poo together with Broadwell, so their accountants and sales people are probably eager to finally put the main board in the case dump all that held inventory on the market.

Then again Apple is sitting on like a hundred billion in cash reserves so they can do whatever the hell they want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
From what everyone's been saying, the ULV Broadwell parts needed for the Air were expected to come out at the end of the summer/very early Fall and were pushed back until late October, holding back the rollout for the new Airs.

The ones that Intel did release on time could've been used (and a lot of people expected Apple to do this) but they were apparently below the desired spec performance-wise and Apple decided to wait for the release of the more powerful lines. Lenovo jumped the gun on being the first to have a Broadwell product on the market and the new Yoga Pro got mediocre reviews for it, underperforming its predecessor in some tests.

The quad-core parts that would go in the rMBP haven't come out yet, but they should be good to go for the usual release date.

I guess it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for them to announce the new Airs on Monday. They've been sitting on them for a while apparently and it's not like the public hasn't already seen the Apple Watch. "Spring Forward" could have as much to do with USB type-C or whatever as anything else. Plus, a keynote just about filling in Apple Watch details seems like it'd be pretty short.

In any case, I wonder what they'll do about charging if the "too thin for Magsafe" rumors are true- maybe a redesigned magnetic charging point like the Watch? Also there's talk of them being (maybe?) cheaper than the current price point and a definite price reduction on the 11"/13" models. I doubt the first but the second one seems like a given. I think the Windows sphere's been pushing Apple to be more aggressive on notebooks. If a PC manufacturer can produce a 4GB/256GB ultrabook with a HiDPI touchscreen for $800 (admittedly with very tight margins), it behoves Apple to change up their model a little bit.

Regardless, I want one in space gray. I don't even need it but I loved my old BlackBook enough that I want it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From what everyone's been saying, the ULV Broadwell parts needed for the Air were expected to come out at the end of the summer/very early Fall and were pushed back until late October, holding back the rollout for the new Airs.

The ones that Intel did release on time could've been used (and a lot of people expected Apple to do this) but they were apparently below the desired spec performance-wise and Apple decided to wait for the release of the more powerful lines. Lenovo jumped the gun on being the first to have a Broadwell product on the market and the new Yoga Pro got mediocre reviews for it, underperforming its predecessor in some tests.

The quad-core parts that would go in the rMBP haven't come out yet, but they should be good to go for the usual release date.

I guess it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for them to announce the new Airs on Monday. They've been sitting on them for a while apparently and it's not like the public hasn't already seen the Apple Watch. "Spring Forward" could have as much to do with USB type-C or whatever as anything else. Plus, a keynote just about filling in Apple Watch details seems like it'd be pretty short.

In any case, I wonder what they'll do about charging if the "too thin for Magsafe" rumors are true- maybe a redesigned magnetic charging point like the Watch? Also there's talk of them being (maybe?) cheaper than the current price point and a definite price reduction on the 11"/13" models. I doubt the first but the second one seems like a given. I think the Windows sphere's been pushing Apple to be more aggressive on notebooks. If a PC manufacturer can produce a 4GB/256GB ultrabook with a HiDPI touchscreen for $800 (admittedly with very tight margins), it behoves Apple to change up their model a little bit.

Regardless, I want one in space gray. I don't even need it but I loved my old BlackBook enough that I want it.
Yeah, I'm personally holding out for a Broadwell rMBP but I'd also love to get one in space grey.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Binary Badger posted:

I'm gonna have to say naaaaaahhhh. If there's one thing Cook learned from Jobs its focus, this is gonna be all about the watch. IMHO the 12-inch will probably be announced later in the month or later at its own event.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/09/24/ming-chi-kuo

Ming-Chi Kuo is incredibly well sourced. We'll see. It's pretty clear at least new regular MacBook Airs are coming at this event (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/04/macbook-air-refresh-appears-imminent/)

(Why not it's own event? Events are precious. You don't want to do too many in quick succession, and the Mac isn't 'big enough' for it's own event)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 4, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ars posted some screenshots of what is supposedly a Broadwell Air. Same as the current model with new chips

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/probable-broadwell-macbook-air-shows-up-in-screenshots/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Ars posted some screenshots of what is supposedly a Broadwell Air. Same as the current model with new chips

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/probable-broadwell-macbook-air-shows-up-in-screenshots/

"It's a fair bet that there's an 11-inch MacBook Air 7,1 that has been upgraded in similar ways." Hopefully in the next week. :P

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The optimist in me fixates on this last part,

" The existence of these refreshed 11- and 13-inch models doesn't preclude a more radical new product, though. The Retina MacBook Pro and Retina iMac both debuted without immediately displacing the non-Retina versions. If the new Air exists, it may exist alongside the 11- and 13-inch models, at least at first."

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
I did have a question regarding the Macbook Pro's, I'm looking at doing creative work on a freelance basis. (Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator mostly)

As it seems plenty of shops in my area are pretty much Mac-only, and I'm finishing up a stint that does make getting a MBP a possiblity.

The question is whether it's better to get one new, or used (an older model)?

If the direction is more towards the older models, were there any particular models that I'd need to be aware of that had some sort of problems, recalls, or other issues, so I could steer clear of them?

Thanks!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Notable new System Information category in that screenshot: NVMExpress. Wish the screenshotter had clicked it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

The optimist in me fixates on this last part,

" The existence of these refreshed 11- and 13-inch models doesn't preclude a more radical new product, though. The Retina MacBook Pro and Retina iMac both debuted without immediately displacing the non-Retina versions. If the new Air exists, it may exist alongside the 11- and 13-inch models, at least at first."

I think it would be more like when the Retinas came out. The classic MBP didn't get updated but it was still in the store.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Killer_B posted:

I did have a question regarding the Macbook Pro's, I'm looking at doing creative work on a freelance basis. (Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator mostly)

As it seems plenty of shops in my area are pretty much Mac-only, and I'm finishing up a stint that does make getting a MBP a possiblity.

The question is whether it's better to get one new, or used (an older model)?

If the direction is more towards the older models, were there any particular models that I'd need to be aware of that had some sort of problems, recalls, or other issues, so I could steer clear of them?

Thanks!

If you can wait until July, get the yet-unreleased Broadwell one if 'newest' and possibly best is worth it to you. You could be fine with the 13" rMBP, but you might prefer the 15". It's up to you on whether you want the discrete GPU or not but definitely spring for as much RAM as you can afford. It's soldered onto the motherboard so you're stuck with what you bought it with. You might be fine with the Iris Pro integrated graphics for PS/ID/IL work, but I'd probably recommend going for the discrete GPU in the interest of future-proofing.

If you don't need the absolute newest (if you're even asking this question then you probably don't), the Apple refurb store is by far the best place to buy an older mac. Accept no substitutes (IMHO). I'd avoid the 2012 rMBPs since they suffer from a bit of '1st gen-itis' but the 2013 and 2014 Haswell models are both rock solid and more-or-less interchangeable (they got a tiny bump in 2014). Apple puts a ton of work and care into their refurbs- to the point where they're basically indistinguishable from new computers. Cases are replaced, components stringently tested, and the computers are sold with the exact same warranty that new ones have. You can also get AppleCare just like with a new computer. Also, as it was mentioned a few pages back- many "refurbs" are unsold overstock of various custom configurations.

I got my 2013 15" rMBP from the refurb store last year and it's been flawless. I saved $600 on a computer decked in upgrades- I basically bought it for the cost of a base model.

Whatever you do, stick only to the retina models. Do not even consider one of the holdover old Macbook Pros with the DVD drives. They're a colossal step backwards from the rMBP in every single way.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Whatever you do, stick only to the retina models. Do not even consider one of the holdover old Macbook Pros with the DVD drives. They're a colossal step backwards from the rMBP in every single way.

Only possible counterpoints: The 2012 Ivy Bridges with the 650m are still fairly fast and, since they're not Retinas, pretty drat cheap on the refurb store when they do appear. For tinkerers they're still upgradable and the optical drive can be replaced with a HDD or SSD.

But yeah, the Retinas are very much preferable in general.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently supply issues are pushing back the 12.9" iPad due to supply problems with the display. If the supply problem is yield in general that's one thing and could impact a new MBA retina, or it could mean that there's only enough supply capacity for the new MBA or the new iPad (in theory they would share the same display). :iiam:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Apparently supply issues are pushing back the 12.9" iPad due to supply problems with the display. If the supply problem is yield in general that's one thing and could impact a new MBA retina, or it could mean that there's only enough supply capacity for the new MBA or the new iPad (in theory they would share the same display). :iiam:

"Supply Issues" is a common trope before every single Apple announcement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you expand on that? I haven't kept up with Apple product announcements lately

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's nearly impossible to find a single Apple product release where some news site hasn't written a click bait article saying that "Apple is having trouble producing (new product) and may be delayed"

If Apple doesn't announce the new product, they can gloat about how their sources were right. If Apple does release the product then well gee, Apple pulled it out last minute and saved the day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the news sites that cover Apple products, are horrible.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone built a fusion drive as an external drive? What case and drives did you use? How well does it work?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ethereal posted:

Has anyone built a fusion drive as an external drive? What case and drives did you use? How well does it work?
Why would you want to do this?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why would you want to do this?

Why not? I'd like to be able to store a large amount of stuff while also getting to use the disk as a scratch pad for editing movie files. I can certainly use the disks separately, but if I can have OS X transparently manage this for me, I don't see why I wouldn't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ethereal posted:

Why not? I'd like to be able to store a large amount of stuff while also getting to use the disk as a scratch pad for editing movie files. I can certainly use the disks separately, but if I can have OS X transparently manage this for me, I don't see why I wouldn't.

The main reasoning that i can think of is that SSD drives are pretty cheap now anyway. You'd have better luck going all out instead of relying on something that's literally half-rear end.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ethereal posted:

More specifically: what interfaces do you have available to you? Are we talking Thunderbolt? USB3? FireWire? What drives do you envision using for this? Saying "I want an external Fusion" is extremely vague.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 6, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ethereal posted:

I had my BTO Fusion Drive in my iMac (not self built, actually from Apple) come unglued at the core storage level (or deeper). Apparently this can happen from time to time. I found the one genius at one of my local Apple stores who had actually heard of this and knew how to get in touch with someone who knew how to fix it. The fix was data destructive. Lost everything, as the process to re-marry the SSD and platter drive wiped everything in the process.

Moral of the story is, if you have a fusion drive, make sure you have a backup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Moral of the story is, if you have data that you care about, make sure you have a backup.
Fixed that for you.

But yeah, the Core Storage volume destruction or creation process will erase any existing data on drives. I've been lucky and had no hiccups with my DIY Fusion setup, but I'm always prepared with backups should the worst happen.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

More specifically: what interfaces do you have available to you? Are we talking Thunderbolt? USB3? FireWire? What drives do you envision using for this? Saying "I want an external Fusion" is extremely vague.

Ah, I wanted to hear stories of any type of set up and go from there. I have pretty typical interfaces available on modern macs, including usb3 and thunderbolt.

I'm considering just a pure SSD solution but wanted to hear if anyone else has attempted this.

I have offsite backup in place so corruption is not something I'm worried about.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fixed that for you.

But yeah, the Core Storage volume destruction or creation process will erase any existing data on drives. I've been lucky and had no hiccups with my DIY Fusion setup, but I'm always prepared with backups should the worst happen.

I really wish I had a way to record my time at the Apple Store when the guy was trying to figure out what happened. It was fascinating and terrifying at the same time when the genius is asking the person on the other end of the line 'are you sure that's a good idea?'

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's a good/cheap way to boost my 2013 Macbook Pro's hotspot range? There are open hotspots at work, but I often can't quite catch the signal and have to use work's poopy wifi.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If by 'hotspot range' you mean your laptop's maximum wireless range, it probably aint going to to be both, but try this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00416Q5KI/

Try that for size, but be warned it's using a third party wireless chipset (likely RealTek) adaptor which means you must shut off Airport.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 6, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Last time I used a wifi card with an external antenna at Starbucks I got so many weird looks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A small price to pay for improved reception.

Easily remedied by bringing up your signal strength and waving the screen in front of the people staring at you and yelling "HAH! -52 dB! WHAT'S YOURS, -70? STFU N00B!@!!!!"

In miscellanea, there's this one company looking to allow people who bought only 4 GB MBAs to improve their situation:

http://www.quickertek.com/products/moxieMemoryNew.html

QuickerTek posted:

ADD 4GB of Fast Ram to your MacBook Pro or Air

That was previously non-upgardable Mac!

Version 2 is integrated into your motherboard for a truly seamless fit!

Dunno, wouldn't clip-on RAM chips be vulnerable to sudden shocks? "Oh poo poo the cat jostled my laptop, I just lost 4 GB of RAM"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 6, 2015

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

A small price to pay for improved reception.

Easily remedied by bringing up your signal strength and waving the screen in front of the people staring at you and yelling "HAH! -52 dB! WHAT'S YOURS, -70? STFU N00B!@!!!!"

In miscellanea, there's this one company looking to allow people who bought only 4 GB MBAs to improve their situation:

http://www.quickertek.com/products/moxieMemoryNew.html

Dunno, wouldn't clip-on RAM chips be vulnerable to sudden shocks? "Oh poo poo the cat jostled my laptop, I just lost 4 GB of RAM"

Page is already dead. Apple must work quick.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Binary Badger posted:

Cover it in epoxy! :science:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kingnothing posted:

Page is already dead. Apple must work quick.

How do they have a legal basis to do that?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

How do they have a legal basis to do that?

Well I didn't get to see the page so I don't know, but they used the proprietary connector in MacBook airs to stop people from making third party ssds for them. Owc just never cared.

My guess is they threw a legal threat out there and out of fear the page got pulled down. Otherwise it could be that it uses another proprietary board connector.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, this is the only thing I see when I visit that page:

Looks like it clips right on top of the existing RAM chip.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's some serious hackery, how does it even work? I'm no EE but like, wouldn't both chips get communication from the system? Whereas what you really want to do is intercept everything coming in, respond in your own way, and forward only certain things to the existing hardware... Like how modchips for games consoles work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In some more Mac hardware non-news:

https://www.getbatterybox.com/

Evidently it was announced last march, its a $150 external battery pack for Late 2012 MacBook Pros and Airs and newer. It didn't start shipping until late January of this year, according to their Twitter.. it's described by one tweet as a 'Mophie pack for your laptop.'

It gets around MagSafe by offering their own proprietary clip-on technology which seems to use the gap for the display swivel as one of its anchors.

It also provides a 2A USB charging port, both ports can be charging simultaneously (so you can charge your phone at the same time.) The battery is also running something called BatteryOS that seems to do power management for the cells.

Supposedly adds up to 7.4 additional hours of power for 13" Pros, up to 13 additional hours for Airs.

Looks pretty interesting, will keep an eye on them to see if they last..

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

That's some serious hackery, how does it even work? I'm no EE but like, wouldn't both chips get communication from the system? Whereas what you really want to do is intercept everything coming in, respond in your own way, and forward only certain things to the existing hardware... Like how modchips for games consoles work.

Yeah there's got to be some other hardware fuckery going on. I'm going to guess they have a custom memory controller they attach to bypass the one on the mobo to make it work. And it's probably more than just plop a chip over other chip and go.

And for the price they're charging for RAWR EXTERNAL ANTENNAZ mod for the Airport Extreme, you can just buy another and do bridging. However, I do like the fact you can adjust the antennas XYZ planes, so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flosofl posted:

And for the price they're charging for RAWR EXTERNAL ANTENNAZ mod for the Airport Extreme, you can just buy another and do bridging. However, I do like the fact you can adjust the antennas XYZ planes, so there is that.

Looks kinda hokey to me, aren't they too close together? Seems to me you'd be getting a lot of interference with them all bunched up like that.

Edit: weird green thing is their corporate mascot