Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

MF_James posted:

Yeah if they can easily flank a guy or have a high % shot on someone, they will do that instead of zombie making, but they still zombie make a lot.

Ok time to adjust my early game tactics of taking that for granted. Thank you all!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are good mods for swords and melee play in general? Slicing aliens in half never gets old.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LLSix posted:

What are good mods for swords and melee play in general? Slicing aliens in half never gets old.

There are two main models of fixes. Long War Perk Pack has a new perk called Fleche that adds 1 damage for every 2 tiles moved to slash which is great. Its on one of their new classes and other class mods have integrated it well (LW Shadow Ops class pack is what I use).

There are also a few that bump up yhe base damage a bit and increase the secondary effect activation so the tier 2/3 stun and set on fire consistently.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Do all mods invalidate achievements in this game or are there some (cosmetic ones for example) that don't?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even stuff as dramatic as disabling the Doomsday Clock won't effect achievements.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
I know the OP has a link to the goon character pool, but is there a be-all-end-all character pool out there, or a site that collects them?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What are general thoughts regarding the Long War Perk Pack? Does it make the game easier, harder, or more or less the same difficulty?

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

What are general thoughts regarding the Long War Perk Pack? Does it make the game easier, harder, or more or less the same difficulty?

Just did a playthrough with it, I refuse to play without it, the new classes are cool, choosing between 3 perks is fun.

If you think it's too powerful, add in A Better Advent 2, the new AI and monsters will balance it out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CDW posted:

If you think it's too powerful, add in A Better Advent 2, the new AI and monsters will balance it out.
A Better Advent 2 is so loving good.

Once in a while I start wondering whether my other mods like Grimy's Loot Mod and LWPP and the larger squad are making the game a bit too easy, and then ABA2 throws some new curveball at me and I'm like ":stare: Nevermind, this is fine."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think making your own custom class lineup with a la carte offerings (guerilla / trooper / rogue / medic are a strong core) is much more fun than the overpowered stuff you get in LWPP.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
so is this still mod and strat talk or have they actually made a decent expansion pack instead of dripfeed dlc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bogart posted:

I think making your own custom class lineup with a la carte offerings (guerilla / trooper / rogue / medic are a strong core) is much more fun than the overpowered stuff you get in LWPP.

I personally like the Shadow Ops class pack which released a version with some LW perks. Its definitely balanced to a lower level of power.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, A Better ADVENT 2.0 definitely warrants balancing it out by giving yourself a bit of extra power. Hell, the creator even recommends a squad size of 6-8.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

LotsBread posted:

so is this still mod and strat talk or have they actually made a decent expansion pack instead of dripfeed dlc

They probably would have released the big expack by now if it weren't for Civ VI. I would bet on a Q1/Q2 release for Terror from the Deeper, after Firaxis' marketing guys have had a chance to breathe.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nah, we're just going to get an HD rerelease of Interceptor.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Zomborgon posted:

Nah, we're just going to get an HD rerelease of Interceptor.

:awesome:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zomborgon posted:

Nah, we're just going to get an HD rerelease of Interceptor Enforcer.

Worse outcome.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kwyndig posted:

Worse outcome.

At least that game runs flawlessly! :suicide:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Beagle's resurrected his XCOM2 series that he played on the preview build a year ago, I guess he's just started editing and uploading them and it's supreme cheese. The aliens don't stand a chance.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I guess it's impossible to play like that anymore. I'd be interested to see Beagle try to play on the higher difficulties with the real game. Ambushing kind of sucks now. I'm not sure how I feel about the aliens getting a free shot because you got caught with one of your guys out in the open. I guess it's the best way to stop that free overwatch he loves to use, but not everyone is as good at Xcom as Beaglerush. I guess I just hate being hit by a counter that was meant to stop one youtuber from stomping through the game, when I'm struggling on Commander as it is. The last time I tried an overwatch ambush, I got surrounded by three different pods and cut to ribbons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm trying to do Ironman Legendary and I can't seem to make it through the first month without a squad wipe. I know you can "technically" recover from a failed mission but the game kind of forces you to put all your eggs in one basket for squad advancement, and losing your four non-rookies is pretty much a delayed game over. Usually it's something stupid like one person missing a point blank shot. I know I shouldn't rely on shots that aren't 100%, but sometimes I don't have a choice.

I guess what I'm saying is that missing at point blank range is bullshit.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm trying to do Ironman Legendary and I can't seem to make it through the first month without a squad wipe. I know you can "technically" recover from a failed mission but the game kind of forces you to put all your eggs in one basket for squad advancement, and losing your four non-rookies is pretty much a delayed game over. Usually it's something stupid like one person missing a point blank shot. I know I shouldn't rely on shots that aren't 100%, but sometimes I don't have a choice.

I guess what I'm saying is that missing at point blank range is bullshit.

Grenades never miss so do what Beagle do and have half your squad be grenadiers :v: Churn out fresh ones through the GTS until enough sticks. Also stack aim on everyone as soon as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No poo poo. I know that and it's a useless tip to me, since it's still the first month of the game and I don't even have a GTS up and running yet.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
as someone who only played this game at release, what changed about the AI/way you play the game?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Verviticus posted:

as someone who only played this game at release, what changed about the AI/way you play the game?

I don't pay much attention to things like this, but I've been hearing that Sectoids don't raise zombies as much anymore.

Also, leaving a soldier out of cover and letting the enemy spot him on THEIR turn is very likely to result in ADVENT just shooting at the soldier instead of darting to cover.

Anything more than that, I'll leave to the rest of these guys.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I picked up the game again after I finished my first campaign in the spring and the aliens/ADVENT seem a little more aggressive and a little less goofy. It's not just the Sectoids resurrecting less, it's poo poo like overwatches that actually make sense and pin you down and using special abilities like explosives more intelligently.

I had one mission where I tried to be clever. Activated a pod below from the roof and huddled up in OW waiting the pod to jump up to me and die. A Codex leapt up to the roof and dropped a Rift on the entire team and then teleported to flank me. Codices do still seem to have some kind of anti-bullshit routine where they don't use their teleporting and self-cloning quite as murderously as they could.

I'd completely forgotten the free shot during ambush if you are out of cover because I naturally try to have every operative in cover at all times.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BlazetheInferno posted:

I don't pay much attention to things like this, but I've been hearing that Sectoids don't raise zombies as much anymore.

Also, leaving a soldier out of cover and letting the enemy spot him on THEIR turn is very likely to result in ADVENT just shooting at the soldier instead of darting to cover.

Anything more than that, I'll leave to the rest of these guys.

What happens to me instead is that alien patrols always path away from my ambushes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Antti posted:

I had one mission where I tried to be clever. Activated a pod below from the roof and huddled up in OW waiting the pod to jump up to me and die. A Codex leapt up to the roof and dropped a Rift on the entire team and then teleported to flank me. Codices do still seem to have some kind of anti-bullshit routine where they don't use their teleporting and self-cloning quite as murderously as they could.
A Better Advent has a special codex variant that will immediately throw a rift at you upon activation. And when they're accompanied by five super tanky melee archons, things can get really loving ugly real fast.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

MF_James posted:

Yeah if they can easily flank a guy or have a high % shot on someone, they will do that instead of zombie making, but they still zombie make a lot.

sometimes they even Mind Control your best Ranger, who then shoots your best Sharpshooter right in the face! :xcom:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For extra laughs they can mind control one of your dudes on overwatch, and the overwatch will persist through your turn, meaning that moving your own dudes will trigger it. I lost a VIP that way once.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm still perplexed as to why Beagle would ever pick blast armor for grenadiers when the game punishes you for taking any damage. Shredder gives the grenade specced grenadiers something to do if they can't get in range for a grenade and remove armor from tank enemies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Annointed posted:

I'm still perplexed as to why Beagle would ever pick blast armor for grenadiers when the game punishes you for taking any damage. Shredder gives the grenade specced grenadiers something to do if they can't get in range for a grenade and remove armor from tank enemies.

blast armor plus a WAR suit plus plated vest is 4 armor, which is a substantial amount even in late game

yes, the game punishes you for taking damage, but having someone with 4 armor means you can actually make a half decent designated point man.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Coolguye posted:

blast armor plus a WAR suit plus plated vest is 4 armor, which is a substantial amount even in late game

yes, the game punishes you for taking damage, but having someone with 4 armor means you can actually make a half decent designated point man.

Yup, I've got a ranger in a RAGE suit with AWC blast padding. He takes hits every second or third mission, but he rarely gets hurt due to his armor eating all of the damage, so he gets knocked out of commission for 3 days tops, even if I overextend or do other stupid poo poo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taking only 1/3 of normal explosive damage is a pretty big deal.

Shred has to hit to have any effect, and if you're too far away for grenades, you're going to have a hard time hitting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reminder that blast padding was his very first early-game grenadier, which is the point where taking unintended hits is a real possibility, and also the point where enemies don't actually have armour.

Your initial builds should generally be specced towards getting through the early game, since that's the difficult part and there's plenty of time to fill out your roster with people specced for late game.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's also only something like 10 days to respec.

e: although I still always take shred because mechs turn up pretty quickly.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2016

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
With the recent DLC sale I re-started XCOM2 for the first time since I finished it on release. I have this bug where changing the keybinding doesn't save - when I restart the game they are back to default. It seems that people randomly run into that problem. Is there a known fix?

I have a bunch of mods (Capnbubs Accessories Pack, Flank Preview, that sort of things, nothing that should be related to keybindings) so I'll check if the problem persists without them. Was mostly wondering if there's an easy fix.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Furism posted:

With the recent DLC sale I re-started XCOM2 for the first time since I finished it on release. I have this bug where changing the keybinding doesn't save - when I restart the game they are back to default. It seems that people randomly run into that problem. Is there a known fix?

I have a bunch of mods (Capnbubs Accessories Pack, Flank Preview, that sort of things, nothing that should be related to keybindings) so I'll check if the problem persists without them. Was mostly wondering if there's an easy fix.

Have you checked to see if your config files maybe got set to read-only? Check XComInput.ini in Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Lprsti99 posted:

Have you checked to see if your config files maybe got set to read-only? Check XComInput.ini in Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

I don't see why they would, or why it would have changed from before (I didn't have this issue at release) but I guess it doesn't hurt to check that as well indeed.

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

3. 96%. misses.

:suicide:

Commander Ironman difficulty has been a rollercoaster. My mission alternate between flawless and total wipes. At this point, I'm pretty sure Bradford is recruiting people into XCOM by kidnapping them.