Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Women love when you assume they are superficial gold diggers who only like clubbing. I can’t see why your online dating profile might turn away the dumpster-diving hippie dream girl you are searching for.

E: great page snipe here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

Oh no, if rejection was an Olympic event, I'd be barred from competing due to already being a professional, my issue is actually meeting single persons of my preference in common social spaces of mutual interest.
All the different expenses (clothes ('cause they can't have no pocket-covered motherfucker be seen at their venue), drinks (a cocktail costs twice as much as a litre of my not-killing-myself hooch, and that's before the tip), tip ('else you're not getting a second drink before you sober up completely), cover, etc) aside, gently caress clubs.

Where the gently caress do I meet single ladies who love dumpster diving? "Not online" is as specific as I've found.

Even though I have some money I dress like absolute poo poo and don't go anywhere expensive basically ever. I have no problem meeting women or having sexual relationships with them. I think maybe you just have an appalling personality.

Try going to a park, or a library, or a museum (on a free day). If you can make basic conversation and not come off like a giant weirdo creep, you can meet people anywhere. I met my last girlfriend waiting for a bus.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just got an email ad for a VR Penn & Teller "Prank Game" and I am now convinced that VR is a blight that must be scourged from the Earth at all costs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If pedantic nerds are going to browbeat me into pronouncing GIF with a hard G because it stands for "Graphic Interchange Format" then they have to pronounce JPEG as "Jay-feg".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How do you pronounce Gilbert

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Why, Jill-bert, of course. And don't forget about Mr. Sullivan, whose double L tends to trip up non-Spanish-speakers.
Real PHUO: Hearing said obstinate nerds pronounce it like the peanut butter brand makes me irrationally angry, like they and their friends are plumbing my ear canal with a tuft of prairie grass.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Jul 1, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

"Jill-Bert"

How do you pronounce giraffe?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Frank.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's right up there with pineapple on pizza in terms of small preferential differences that weird nerds get performatively angry about. Like I guess I'm weak and my bloodlines weak and I won't survive through the winter blah blah blah but at least I'm not the one who belted out a tired, overly rehearsed internet meme in a busy pizza joint.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: It doesn't belong on ALL pizza, certainly, but pineapple really helps balance out the excessive salt content of the more popular meats. Obviously it doesn't belong on, say, more traditional-style pizza, but it's really good on American-style pizzas.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Riatsala posted:

It's right up there with pineapple on pizza in terms of small preferential differences that weird nerds get performatively angry about. Like I guess I'm weak and my bloodlines weak and I won't survive through the winter blah blah blah but at least I'm not the one who belted out a tired, overly rehearsed internet meme in a busy pizza joint.

Donald knows what's up

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

J-Eel-Burt

The true way.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, I got it, it's Djeel-bair.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

It's got the cajun pronunciation, the french bullshit, and the southern drawl to it. You found it, the actual way to pronounce Gilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tubgoat posted:

Zheel-beh-uh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eh, spidey’s hot but my first choice would be Thor

Imagine web-slinging though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They actually made a spider man game for PSVR but it was just a free movie tie in that was like 20 minutes long and not very good. An actual good Spider Man VR game would be amazing though.

The Iron Man game sounds dope at least. I guess you have to mimic how he flies and shoots with your hands. People that have tried it all seem to say it's cool as hell.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/3/18292074/iron-man-vr-game-ps4-psvr

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tubgoat posted:

"sex is blocked behind a paywall"

Having money certainly is an attractive quality, to most people, but it's just one among many. For example, I'm 6'4''. That seems to help.

You might consider starting some kind of anarcho syndicalist collective, or maybe doing some open mics or something. That would at least show passion and work ethic, while not tainting you with money.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
This thread gives good advice overall and I appreciate it.

Tiggum posted:

Zheel-beh-uh.
Ooh, it's this one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Riatsala posted:

If pedantic nerds are going to browbeat me into pronouncing GIF with a hard G because it stands for "Graphic Interchange Format" then they have to pronounce JPEG as "Jay-feg".

You've got it wrong, the pedantic ones are the ones who insist it's pronounced jiff just because the "creator" says it that way. He doesn't get to decide, just like JK Rowling can't decide anything she didn't explicitly write into the harry potter books. Nobody except people who want to smugly say "well acccttttuallly, it's JIFF" at people say it that way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've never tried to force my opinion on others, but I say it that way. I've faced ridicule and violence for my beliefs but this is a free country and I know my rights officer.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You've got it wrong, the pedantic ones are the ones who insist it's pronounced jiff just because the "creator" says it that way. He doesn't get to decide, just like JK Rowling can't decide anything she didn't explicitly write into the harry potter books. Nobody except people who want to smugly say "well acccttttuallly, it's JIFF" at people say it that way.

I think I'm fine with JK saying all the stupid bullshit about Harry Potter, because it is very obvious she wants to make her fans mad, because she probably (and justifiably) hates them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I flip between "gif" and "jif" just to see who it pisses off around me. It doesn't matter to me because both are inferior to the .png (pronounced PIIIIIING)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
If .jpg is "jay-peg" then .png is "pee-neg".

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

I flip between "gif" and "jif" just to see who it pisses off around me. It doesn't matter to me because both are inferior to the .png (pronounced PIIIIIING)

I think this is the correct answer.

And choosy moms choose the hard 'g'

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I insist on pronouncing Mario as "Merry-Oh" and will correct myself if I pronounce it properly, but only when talking about the plumber

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Danaru posted:

I insist on pronouncing Mario as "Merry-Oh" and will correct myself if I pronounce it properly, but only when talking about the plumber

So Mario Lopez or Mario Van Peebles, right out?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PHUO: Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay after she finished the last book was fine. It was really obvious subtext and the book is from Harry's point of view and he's a bit of an idiot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PHUO: Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay after she finished the last book was fine. It was really obvious subtext and the book is from Harry's point of view and he's a bit of an idiot.

I still think it was a kind of cowardly way of doing it, retconning it after she's already made the bulk of her money and doesn't care if she offends anyone now. There will always be people who deny that there are any gay wizards because she didn't put in even one line that explicitly says it.

I'm torn because on one hand hearing about which wizards are loving/going to gently caress was by far the worst part of the series and knowing dumbledore likes dudes is irrelevant to Harry's story, but on the other hand if people want to call it "lgbt inclusive" there has to be more than subtext and "expanding" (pulling things out of her rear end) by the author.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: She just wanted those ControversyBux (TM) because she knows idiots cannot help themselves buying her books to performatively burn. The "revelation" wasn't even an answer to the question asked.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Even in that case he's a bad gay character. Only being allowed to be subtext is a huge criticism of how gay characters are written in children's media

E: for my own unpopular opinion: Kraft mac n cheese is extremely good if you don't overcook it and don't use any milk

Saagonsa has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Jul 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gay Dumbledore is cowardly but fits in the story she wrote.

I didn’t need to know about wizards making GBS threads in hallways or that there totally was a jewish kid at Hogwarts

Also, she loses any Gay Dumbledore credit for not raising a fuss when they recast Ron’s fling from a black girl to a white girl in the movie where it happens.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If you care at all about Harry Potter, you have already lost

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You don't need a character to say they're gay or "act gay" in any kind of media for them to be a gay character, and it's extremely patronizing to gay people to have characters whose whole personality is "i like people of my own gender" in the media they consume, example: Janey Springs from Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Thanks, Anthony "casting couch cause' my wife's getting consensual dick" Burch!

Collapsing Farts posted:

basically.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

You don't need a character to say they're gay or "act gay" in any kind of media for them to be a gay character, and it's extremely patronizing to gay people to have characters whose whole personality is "i like people of my own gender" in the media they consume, example: Janey Springs from Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Thanks, Anthony "casting couch cause' my wife's getting consensual dick" Burch!

basically.

I’mma stay skeptical of the fygm terf libéral going “oh no see, my book was woke all along!”

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’mma stay skeptical of the fygm terf libéral going “oh no see, my book was woke all along!”

I have no idea what the gently caress those terms mean, and I don't want to know what they mean. I was talking about the use of gay characters in general, and I don't really want to equate her saying "wizard gay, so what" to the insane stuff she says about the books to rile up her lovely fans.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's a lot harder to find people online to talk endlessly about trivia with The Dark Tower so I resort to obsessing over it sometimes, even though HP is a vastly inferior series and Stephen King is just a much better writer on every level.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’d rather know someone’s Harry Potter house than Myers-Briggs type

E: full disclosure I have a tattoo of the white tree of Gondor so that’s where I stand on fantasies

E2: imagine Lovecraft’s twitter.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jul 2, 2019

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How about classics, like Lord of the Rings? It at least is far enough removed that you don't have to read what the author says on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

How about classics, like Lord of the Rings? It at least is far enough removed that you don't have to read what the author says on twitter.

Just ask everybody on witter what Silmarilion character they are.