Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

I have no idea what you're on about, but I am quivering with antici...pation!

Drywalling basement (new game room), and all my poo poo is sealed inside their cases because dust is everywhere basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think I've finally found The Army.

Khornate renegades is so much fun. And worst comes to worst, I can always run them as World Eaters too. But advance and charge, AND rerolling charges makes a hilariously choppy army.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jetbike preview: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/17/adeptus-custodes-preview-part-3-war-machinesgw-homepage-post-2/

They look utterly mental.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah those seem quite strong. And pretty.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Power lances that are... good..?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm so loving stoked for Custodes, you guys have no idea. I'm like the one person this release is for. Too bad I'm not buying anything until I get my current Adepticon army finished.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Kinda awkward that the missile profiles are all Heavy weapons unless they get a rule to mitigate hit penalties for moving and firing with Heavy weapons but with a BS 2+ I can't complain too much. Jetbikes look dope. Rest of the article was pretty meh, let me know when they start talking about Contemptor-Galatus and Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnoughts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Like Flakk missiles before, I can't really see myself shooting them over the Melta missile. Probably need to math it out.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I would be higher on the Land Raider strategem especially with how prevalent -1 to hit modifiers are now but I can barely see myself taking one, let alone two of them considering how ridiculously overpriced Land Raiders are points wise.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Kinda awkward that the missile profiles are all Heavy weapons unless they get a rule to mitigate hit penalties for moving and firing with Heavy weapons but with a BS 2+ I can't complain too much. Jetbikes look dope. Rest of the article was pretty meh, let me know when they start talking about Contemptor-Galatus and Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnoughts.

There's precedent of that with all the fliers that have heavy weapons.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Like Flakk missiles before, I can't really see myself shooting them over the Melta missile. Probably need to math it out.

They might be useful against Tau Battlesuits, Eldar Jetbikes, and similar non-VEHICLE models with FLY. Pretty situational though.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I assume those jetbikes will always be suffering a -1 to hit on heavy weapons because they will always be moving. Hurricane Bolters are likely more useful than the melta weapons.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I assume those jetbikes will always be suffering a -1 to hit on heavy weapons because they will always be moving. Hurricane Bolters are likely more useful than the melta weapons.

I feel like the -1 to hit matters less when you have BS2+ already. If they can get a re-roll aura from somewhere, even better.

They'll probably be wanting to murder infantry and hit things with their sticks though, the anti-tank heavy lifting should probably get picked up by Dreadnoughts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Contemptors aren't really great anti-tank, are they?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I feel like the -1 to hit matters less when you have BS2+ already. If they can get a re-roll aura from somewhere, even better.

They'll probably be wanting to murder infantry and hit things with their sticks though, the anti-tank heavy lifting should probably get picked up by Dreadnoughts.
Their contemptors are only going to have access to multi-meltas and kheres assault cannons since they're only going to have the options from the crappy plastic kit. That's, uh, not that great. The jetbikes and land raiders are probably going to be their main anti-tank.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The Badcast has a section on "why did you choose your army/paint scheme" and I thought it might be interesting to start that conversation here.

Generic Space Marines/Black Legion - Started these in college and I was a lazy painter, so I must shamefully report that I left bare black primer as my main color for both of these. The Marines were mainly black, with purple shoulder pads and silver trim, picked mostly because I like that color combination. I think I tried inking the black portions of the Loyalists with purple ink all over, long beforte I ever knew what the ink was for. It didn't help much.

"Saints Penitent"/vanilla Marines - The army I started up when I got back in after something like 12-13 years. Purple with gold trim very similar to pre-Heresy Emperor's Children and/or Soul Drinkers. I chose the colors in part because I dug them, in part because the idea of Third Street Saints in space sounded good, and in part as a nod to my father-in-law's fraternity (Omega Psi Phi).

Night Lords
- Like everyone and their mother I wanted to do Night Lords after reading the ADB books, but I didn't want a full army. I made a Kill Team for Heralds of Ruin and they were loving nasty.

Iron Warriors - I love indirect shelling and missiles, so it's a natural fit. Also something something goon.

Hive Fleet Snagglepuss - My pink-and-bone Midzilla list. I've mentioned before that I got inspired to do this because I was tired of painting 3000 points of nothing but metal and black and I wanted to make homophobic players uncomfortable. I think the seed of it also came from a throwaway line in Cain's Last Stand, where after a genestealer attack one of Cain's cadets dazedly mutters "No one ever said they were pink..."

What about you? Why did you pick the dudes that you picked?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Contemptors aren't really great anti-tank, are they?

Safety Factor posted:

Their contemptors are only going to have access to multi-meltas and kheres assault cannons since they're only going to have the options from the crappy plastic kit. That's, uh, not that great. The jetbikes and land raiders are probably going to be their main anti-tank.

Oh I didn't realise they only got Contemptors, I thought they'd get regular Dreads. Yeah that sucks then, they're going to have loving awful ranged AT. My money says that they end up like Grey Knights then, the actual army is 75% IG and the "Custodes" are just some jetbikers or something hanging out with them.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
20 years ago I picked the Ultramarines because they were just the "other" space marines, without all of the special stuff the other chapters had. I liked the idea of the regimented military and the Codex. This was long before the fluff apocalypse that made everybody hate my poor blue bois.

Just recently I grabbed a heap of Deathwatch for exactly the opposite reason. Special Forces with special weapons appealed to me.

In my sights are a 30k Mechanicum force specifically because I want an Ordinatus and a Drukhari force because no one else at my store plays them and I'm sick of all these marines.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I originally started with a maroon, gold, and black Eldar army almost 20 years ago because I like the color combo.

Once the Craftworld codex in third dropped I shifted to a Biel-Tan scheme because I like the "martial prowess, hit hard and fast" style of play. Same reason I played a wight heavy Blood Dragon vampire army

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

The Badcast has a section on "why did you choose your army/paint scheme" and I thought it might be interesting to start that conversation here.

Generic Space Marines/Black Legion - Started these in college and I was a lazy painter, so I must shamefully report that I left bare black primer as my main color for both of these. The Marines were mainly black, with purple shoulder pads and silver trim, picked mostly because I like that color combination. I think I tried inking the black portions of the Loyalists with purple ink all over, long beforte I ever knew what the ink was for. It didn't help much.

"Saints Penitent"/vanilla Marines - The army I started up when I got back in after something like 12-13 years. Purple with gold trim very similar to pre-Heresy Emperor's Children and/or Soul Drinkers. I chose the colors in part because I dug them, in part because the idea of Third Street Saints in space sounded good, and in part as a nod to my father-in-law's fraternity (Omega Psi Phi).

Night Lords
- Like everyone and their mother I wanted to do Night Lords after reading the ADB books, but I didn't want a full army. I made a Kill Team for Heralds of Ruin and they were loving nasty.

Iron Warriors - I love indirect shelling and missiles, so it's a natural fit. Also something something goon.

Hive Fleet Snagglepuss - My pink-and-bone Midzilla list. I've mentioned before that I got inspired to do this because I was tired of painting 3000 points of nothing but metal and black and I wanted to make homophobic players uncomfortable. I think the seed of it also came from a throwaway line in Cain's Last Stand, where after a genestealer attack one of Cain's cadets dazedly mutters "No one ever said they were pink..."

I picked AdMech because of their look, and I really love the fluff of a faction were the leaders only care about gathering more technology to hoard it, and have a base of fanatical followers that are willing to literally have their bodies rewired so they can take complete control over them. They're completely ruthless and I love it. I picked Mars because there were no Forgeworld rules in 7th, and when Cawl came out he was Mars, so I just went Mars. Plus, it's the center of power for AdMech, so it made me love it even more.

I recently picked up Eldar for Saim-Hann, as I've always loved Eldar and have wanted a fast, fluffy jetbike army. Apparently I also like painting red.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Imperial Fists because I grew up a Michigan football fan and an Indiana Pacers fan as well. Yellow for me is like light to a moth, it would seem. The fact that it's hard to paint didn't stop me from trying

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Blood Angels

What got me hooked on 40k was a sample game at a GW store of Blood Angels and I iirc Dark Eldar, so they were the first army I wanted to build as a kid. Then reading the fluff kept me hooked, especially the bits about death company and chaplains. Every time I come back to painting I go straight for a blood angels mini, and I just collected my examples over the years (rebased the last 3 to match.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've bounced between basically every army in the game, but I feel like I've settled on Khornate marines. They feel like the right choice because I've got the problem I've never had before with them, that there's more stuff I want to take than I can fit in the list.

Just painting them red and brass because they're The Khorne Colours. Plus if renegade marines stop being an option again, I can use them as World Eaters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tanks.

The sole reason I wanted Imperial Guard was tanks and I always wanted to do a full tank army at some point.
Not so much these days as I've lost all urge to play and just content with painting.

Even if I still have a slowly growing Blood Ravens force made up by nothing but various auction winnings and bitz purchases and donations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I started collecting Death Guard at the tail end of 4th edition. I think what drew me to them, and away from general CSM, and Khorne in particular, was the idea of an army of zombies who just wouldn't die. I also love the original Typhus model. It's easy to forget now, but that model was exceptional at the time. I'm sure there was also an element of irony that appealed to me from picking the god of illness and black humour.

To this day the Death Guard core of my CSM is the only fully painted, complete, army I have. I'm currently rebuilding it from the ground up with the new models and codex, with the aim of retiring almost all of my older DG models.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 17, 2018

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Corrode posted:

People complain about this all the time and what it tells me is that they're bad players. You should never be out of buff range unless you're doing something dumb like making a hail-mary 12" charge and then shoving all your dudes forward in a big scrum. Assuming you come in off deep strike and charge something 9.01" away, you need to trail one single dude back to sit in buff range of the character, with maybe one extra bridging guy (who can still fight since he'll be within 1" of a dude within 1" of an enemy) to accommodate unit coherency. If the character gets their charge off too, you can pile in with the trailing guy and get him into combat; if the character fluffs it then you leave him there to keep the buff going (or you trade off and decide the buff isn't worth losing out on that dude's attacks and pile him in). If you don't suck then it's very simple to accommodate and forces you to make an actual choice between getting all your attacks or getting less attacks but better quality, which is why so many awful players complain about it.

That said, I think they did take it too far with e.g. Chapter Ancients or Court of the Archons where you have all these weird little orphan units in strange sizes because they used to be 5-man and now half of them are separate characters. IG Command Squads are probably weirdest, having worse Leadership than their equivalent basic infantry units because they don't get sergeants and the Company Commander is an individual dude on his own now, with no compensating rules interaction to change that.

Bubbles are only 6" so when you deep strike, you're 9 inches away. If your DC make their charge, you have 3 inch distance between your bubble and your DC. AND the bubble only affects models, not units. Nothing allows you to overcome the 3" embarrassment field while the enemy can focus fires your HQ unit in their turn.

This argument is invalid if you just walk them up the table instead but I believe the intent was to show up dumb deep striking assault units are with regards to HQ bubbles. It's a trap to do so unless you REALLY burn through your command points.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

20 years ago I picked the Ultramarines because they were just the "other" space marines, without all of the special stuff the other chapters had. I liked the idea of the regimented military and the Codex. This was long before the fluff apocalypse that made everybody hate my poor blue bois.

Just recently I grabbed a heap of Deathwatch for exactly the opposite reason. Special Forces with special weapons appealed to me.

In my sights are a 30k Mechanicum force specifically because I want an Ordinatus and a Drukhari force because no one else at my store plays them and I'm sick of all these marines.

When I originally got into 40K I was pretty infatuated with StarCraft, so the Tyranids were an obvious choice.

Fast forward to being an adult, and the Ultramarines with their modern color scheme really just appeal to me on so many levels, but it all ties in with my fascination with empire building, and the benevolent use of power. Basically they are Utopianists caught in a Dystopian setting, but come with all the trappings that make the 40K setting so interesting. Once you strip away the grim-dark and Roman aesthetic you basically have a programmatic approach to achieving human flourishing in a nightmare galaxy.

They are straight-men in a setting populated by fanatics, gibbering lunatics, and the servants of hell.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Fast forward to being an adult, and the Ultramarines with their modern color scheme really just appeal to me on so many levels, but it all ties in with my fascination with empire building, and the benevolent use of power. Basically they are Utopianists caught in a Dystopian setting, but come with all the trappings that make the 40K setting so interesting. Once you strip away the grim-dark and Roman aesthetic you basically have a programmatic approach to achieving human flourishing in a nightmare galaxy.

They are straight-men in a setting populated by fanatics, gibbering lunatics, and the servants of hell.

Pretty much this.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Uroboros posted:

When I originally got into 40K I was pretty infatuated with StarCraft, so the Tyranids were an obvious choice.

:hfive:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh boy, I've had a lot of armies over the years.

Vanilla Marines/"Grey Templars"/"Storm Templars":

First bunch of models I picked up upon jumping from LotR to 40k. Even back then I preferred to do DIY chapters/warbands/whatever, the Dawn of War army painter and the create a chapter rules in the 4th ed Marine codex were a big part of that, fluffing up a bunch of stubborn isolationist weirdos with a thing for tanks. Originally Codex Grey over bare plastic, then Red Scab over that. I'm not the greatest painter but I've certainly improved over... that.

Dark Angels successors "Angels of Twilight"/"Twilight Blades":

New edition new army. Traded away the Ork half of AoBR to build a Dank Angles list after getting the codex as a gift from a well meaning but misinformed aunt and falling in love with The Worst Marines. Dawn of War army painter rears its ugly head again as does my local GW manager being very generous with spare DA bitz he wasn't using. Fluff up an estranged DA successor with a focus on ambushes and long-range punishment and this carried me through to...

Night Lords:

Like everyone else ADB sold me on the Edgy Marines. DV box and a bunch of unbuilt Chaos Marines/VC skelingtons led to me building a pretty sizeable warband of NLs, with a self imposed restriction to keep away from as much overtly Chaos stuff. Lots of Raptors, lots of melee squads, big blocks of cultist meatshields. Start of when I started to "seriously" as it were get into the hobby. RIP Lucky the Cultist, you took Basilisk shells to the face like it was nothing.

Vanilla Marines "Steel Mentors":

Responsible for my internet handle on pretty much everything. 7th ed codex had me looking into going back to my roots. Went for a mechanised force with a focus on practical tactics over GLORIOUS MELEE COMBAT. First dip into Forge World toys, wrote reels of fanfictionfluff that was deleted when I lost my old PC, jury's still out on whether it was a great loss or not.

Ad Mech "Forge World Obliviscaris"

Fell in love with the cogboys from the word go. Named them after the band Ne Obliviscaris as I was going through a phase with them and if GW can name a Forge World after a metal band than so could I. Ended up painting them all Screamer Pink after I stocked up on the colour to paint the Freeblade Knight "Amaranthe" and just never got around to it. Bought a bunch of second hand 30k Mechanicum goodies and proxied up a HH army using both.

T'au "Sael'th'an Sept"

Student grants and a lack of basic self control led to buying a Retribution cadre on a whim, then bulking it out. Went for an all battlesuit army as I was watching a bunch of mecha poo poo at the time. Fluffed them up as a kind of T'au Suicide Squad, miscreants and troublemakers corralled into a single sept and thrown at problems the Ethereals would rather not waste regular soldiers on.

Deathwatch "Watch Fortress Abyssion":

Same as above, I was not a clever nerd with my precious student loans. Wanted to try my hand at painting a raw variety of Marine chapters, both official and DIY. How to Paint Space Marines book was invaluable, as was the massive list of DIY chapters I'd made just for Dawn of War games/fluff I never actually got around to writing rather than daydreaming about in lectures. Made around 50% of them lady marines 'cause as some neckbeard I knew put it "I'd been brainwashed by the feminazi SJWs".

Death Guard "Glooming Lords":

Was never originally gonna do Death Guard, but getting a peak at their codex and a friend offering to split a DI with me kinda pushed me reluctantly into it at first. Tried to paint a DIY Vectorum at first, but the Glooming Lords scheme appealed to me despite making them my 4th black army in a row. Essentially adopted them as my own at this point, had a lot of procrastination thought into their fluff that could be extrapolated from what blurbs you got in the codex.

Craftworld Altansar:

Had a bunch of Wraith units kicking around from a failed attempt to get a mixed Eldar army going back in 7th. Was originally gonna do a DIY Craftworld, but noticed my scheme was near identical to Altansar, and they're probably the coolest of the minor Craftworlds so there we go. Nice to do an all Wraith army without the stigma of 7th's Wraithhost hanging over you, they're the coolest things the Craftworlds have going for them.

Genestealer Cult "Fellowship of the Rising Serpent":

I had a whole bunch of Cultists left over from the really quite fun Shadow War campaign we ran in our store and I've been itching to do a cult army for a long while. Friend of mine sold me a bunch of new in box Neophytes he wasn't gonna use and that was that. Ended up tying them into my Death Guard thanks to that one Genecult vs Nurgle picture in the 7th ed codex, as antagonist on antagonist fighting is always drat fun. Nihilistic Despair vs (False) Hope is a nice theme, looking forwards to building a AoP board with the two forces on this year. Purestrains are getting painted up in Hive Fleet Tiamat colours in case I ever get around to doing regular 'Nids, as they're the Best Fleet.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Major Spag posted:

Bubbles are only 6" so when you deep strike, you're 9 inches away. If your DC make their charge, you have 3 inch distance between your bubble and your DC. AND the bubble only affects models, not units. Nothing allows you to overcome the 3" embarrassment field while the enemy can focus fires your HQ unit in their turn.

This argument is invalid if you just walk them up the table instead but I believe the intent was to show up dumb deep striking assault units are with regards to HQ bubbles. It's a trap to do so unless you REALLY burn through your command points.

Uhh, most reroll auras are for units, not models. At least in the blood angel book, the only model related auras are the sanguinary guard reroll to-hit if within 6" of your warlord and the relic banner for the FNP.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Major Spag posted:

It's actually impressive how wrong this post is lol

Most auras affect units not models. You overcome the 3" gap exactly as I described, by leaving one dude back at max coherency to get hit by the aura.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

Basically it's all about fluff, for me. I've been familiar with 40k ever since the Rogue Trader days (:corsair:), but I didn't start playing until 3rd edition, when they were also starting to flesh out the backgrounds of the various chapters. Slightly below that is the army's look; if I like the color scheme and the look of the figures, that definitely helps motivate me to get them painted. But I really have to find the background fluff interesting to make me want to play a particular army.

Over the years I've played various flavors of SM and CSM: Blood Angels, Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Night Lords, Word Bearers, and Black Legion (off the top of my head). I do want to start some other non-SM-based armies, though: Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, and Adeptus Mechanicus are all armies that appeal to me these days.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Blood Angels: I'm honestly not entirely sure. I've been playing them since I first started as a kid in 3rd edition. I'm a fan of how bold their color scheme is, their fast moving combat style without going overboard, and their fluff of actually giving a poo poo about people and generally being good guys, while working to overcome a flaw that could likely get them branded as traitors if it was widely known.

Imperial Fists: I like the marine aesthetic and wanted to paint yellow. Probably never going to be a huge army.

Tau: The battlesuits and high-tech appearance have always seemed cool, though I haven't actually played with them in 8th yet.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
How useful is Darkstrider in an infantry heavy Tau army? I'm not sure whether I should convert or get something sketchy off of ebay.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Artum posted:

Pretty much this.

Like even with my admech the plan is to run them as forge world Konor since they were insanely cool in Know No Fear and I like the idea of sane-er admech.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
When I was looking at getting into 40k I'd initially planned to start a Guard army. This was right around the time the 7th ed Blood Angels codex was releasing and I happened to take a look at their new models and was immediately hooked. The Sanguinary Guard in particular, although not I think a new release at the time, really captured me in a way that few other models in 40k have since managed. I also still adore that much-maligned tactical marine kit even if I don't use tactical marines anymore. Once the models had drawn me in initially I began to read into their fluff and discovered quickly how much they appealed to me on a thematic level.

There's sort of two sides to the Blood Angels - there's darkness and rage represented by the Death Company, but there is also light and nobility represented by Dante and his Sanguinary Guard. It's a chapter of Space Marines who are all artists who make works of incredible beauty and skill, while at the same time they will with some degree of regularity turn into raving madmen on the battlefield. They're one of the few factions in the Imperium that generally give a poo poo about the common people but will also sometime lose control and kill them in a blood-rage. I'm fascinated by this balance and try to reflect it as much as I can in my modeling and list building. We have some of the deadliest assault troops in the game but there's a balance that you really have to hit between the deadliness of your assault troops and your hopefully highly mobile backfield units if you want to be very effective. I'm sure I don't have to explain it to you all but it's much better for my Sanguinary Guard to be charging a squad of Beserkers who were just forcibly disgorged from an exploding Rhino than it is to charge a Rhino with a squad of Beserkers inside.

There was one scene at the start of the otherwise thoroughly mediocre Horus Heresy novel Fear to Tread that really cemented for me the idea of what the Blood Angels were . Horus and his legion are on the ground and draw this massive alien army out of position so that essentially the entire Blood Angels legion can come down from the sky behind them on jump packs and transports. I don't explain it particularly well but the imagery in that scene really hammered home for me that here were truly the Angels of Death, descending from the heavens on wings of fire.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 17, 2018

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Tau:

I was a big fan of Macross and robots growing up. After years of playing the Dawn of War games and my buddy getting me into the Horus Heresy series, he taught me how to play 6th edition 40k. He played his chaos marines and as soon as I saw his dark blue and orange Tau, I fell in love with their look.

About 2 years ago, I walked into my flgs with the intention of buying Space Hulk. While asking about the price, I was informed that the store had a 25% discount on all GW products. I then decided to get the Tau get started kit and the Pathfinder box instead. I tried painting them purple because of how they reminded me of my favorite transformer Shockwave, but that didn't go so well. Repainted them like this instead:

Emperor's Children:

After reading the book Fulgrim, especially the parts about Serena d'Angelus and her painting with human flesh and fluids, I fell in love with the idea of Slaanesh and her particular form of chaos. Rather than going with the sex crazed version of the EC, I'm focusing on the beauty and perfection aspect that was outlined in the book.

I have more pics of my noise marines and Lucius and stuff somewhere, I'll post them as soon as I find them :shobon:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I started with Night Lords while living in Italy when I was younger. The 2nd Edition Chaos codex had just come out and I fell in love with the faction and the paint scheme (I've tended to prefer playing villain factions historically), and it helped that the Night Lords were the "default" army for Chaos at the time. Most of the models I painted back then are either gone or have been repainted. Dreadful things.

Then I saw a photo of a White Panthers space marine in White Dwarf and decided that's how I'd paint my regular space marines. I gave them a bit of an assault theme, going heavy on Jump and bike units. Most of these have been replaced or repainted as well.

When I was in high school I kept working on my Night Lords but that was also when they started doing Index Astartes, and the Iron Warriors were among the first legions covered. I really liked them and I loved the rules they had in the then-best-Chaos Codex ever (though the current 8th edition book is a close second!). So I started working on an Iron Warriors army (with a sweet basilisk that stopped being legal 4 editions ago). A lot of those guys are still around, though they need some touch-up work paintwise.

Right after that the Eye of Terror Campaign book came out, talking about how Abaddon had united the legions for the 13th black crusade and I thought it was baller as hell. Around that time some play group did a major tournament with 9 themed boards that linked together, each doing a legion in the crusade and I loved it. And so the project was born. Well, kind of. I went to college and, while I kept up with my Iron Warriors, the 4th edition chaos codex came out and it was garbage. Generic Daemons. No legion rules. I just kind of put off playing for a while.

Cut to 6th edition when I started playing with BuffaloChicken and got ANAmal.net back into things, and I decided to get back into it. I refinished some of my Night Lords, polished off my Iron Warriors army, and started building again. I started working on Black Legion, kicking that off with a custom Abaddon. Then I started doing World Eaters, using a lot of the mans I bought off Exinos when I bought his full collection of stuff (that I'm still working through as a backlog). I also started doing Thousand Sons, using mans I bought off another goon. The Black Legion and World Eaters are mostly done, give or take the occasional addition I'll make, and the Thousand Sons are about halfway there.

I started painting up a bunch of Cultists and guard for the map campaign I ran a couple years ago with ANAmal and Shadow Daishi, and that became the start of my Alpha Legion group, but they've got a long way to go. I have a couple of guys painted for my Word Bearers, but they're still in their infancy.

I wanted to do a new space marine project for a while, and I loved the idea of doing a bunch of conversion/kitbashing work so I decided to add Deathwatch to the list last year, and pretty much have those guys finished now, give or take a few models.

And most recently, I've been working on Death Guard, with pretty much the full catalog of recent releases. I love the models so far. The current plan is to keep working on Death Guard and Thousand Sons, then do Alpha Legion once they're done. I'm probably going to tackle Emperor's Children last, and hold out for a new codex/models for them later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I tend to play clerics in tabletop, played a priest in WoW for years, so when picking an army I was drawn immediately to the cleric equivalents - Tomb Kings in fantasy and Sisters (Witch Hunters back then).

Ironically, because the game was centered around a 'God Emperor' I assumed that the religious themed faction would be well supported, whoopsie! I also thought the "Inquisition" would have played a larger part, but they really just co-opt the name and don't have much to do with the religious theme.

Had AdMech or GSC existed back then I wonder if I would have been drawn to them instead.