Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Stephenls posted:

There was the additional problem that houseruling itself was deeply difficult, with the obvious, simple houserules inevitably breaking things elsewhere. "Don't touch perfects until you address lethality" was a catchphrase on the Exalted forum for most of 2e.

Yeah. It was a terrible tangle and required a thorough redesign, which isn't something most people can just sit down and do for their home campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah. It was a terrible tangle and required a thorough redesign, which isn't something most people can just sit down and do for their home campaign.

Agreed. I can not imagine dropping an Exalted rulebook (any edition) in front of a group of players and saying "roll up characters, figure it out."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Falstaff posted:

Has John Wick ever created a functional game on his lonesome? I remember getting frustrated at a number of points of utter incoherence in Houses of the Blooded and eventually just walking away from a game mid-campaign. He seems to just view games rules as "good enough" when they work in his head and then never examines or stress tests them in any meaningful way.

Which is fine if you're writing games for yourself and your friends, but not a great idea when you're putting yourself up as a game auteur who putting out products for sale.

Along these lines, it seems really weird to me that pretty much none of the major game designers in the RPG industry seem to have had any idea what the hell they were doing until about 1999. Like I keep looking back at RPG designers from the 80s and 90s and even the ones working on the most influential properties in the industry seem to have just been making everything up as they went without any sort of deeper theory or philosophy...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cessna posted:

Agreed. I can not imagine dropping an Exalted rulebook (any edition) in front of a group of players and saying "roll up characters, figure it out."

When I got my physical copy of Exalted 3rd in I flipped through it once and just put it away forever. I played so much 1st edition, but I can't live that life no more.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Some time during 2nd edition I got so sick of Exalted-the-system that I just hacked the whole thing into Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

Works pretty well! And I'm sure if I put the effort in I could make it work even better in Cortex Prime.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

KingKalamari posted:

Along these lines, it seems really weird to me that pretty much none of the major game designers in the RPG industry seem to have had any idea what the hell they were doing until about 1999. Like I keep looking back at RPG designers from the 80s and 90s and even the ones working on the most influential properties in the industry seem to have just been making everything up as they went without any sort of deeper theory or philosophy...

I honestly don't think that the framework for thinking about game design from a human psychology standpoint was very well developed until pretty drat recently. Some computer game devs were probably doing it before it got big, but the first time I ever remember hearing about research and theory-based game design in any kind of game (whether rpg, board, or video game) was the first Halo. It was a big deal at the time that Microsoft was actually doing research on what made video games fun and then doing that intentionally.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

LatwPIAT posted:

This was expensive, and could only be done/could be done cheapest by spending Willpower points, which was also the currency you used to activate your other cool abilities.

And also was the 'damage' for social combat, which caused all sorts of weird side-effects.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

People are still just making it up with no formal theory or taught skill behind it. There is no continuation of institutional knowledge in the industry, meaning every lesson, every brilliance, and every guiding principle gets discovered and forgotten over and over again with each new crop of game designers. Best practices aren't preserved or highlighted, and when theory does get written down it tends to end up in insular communities, dead forums, and obscure 'zines that went out of business in 1998 with no way to get back-issues. And when a book does get written and it does see enough success to be known, it's Play Dirty and basically every piece of advice within is terrible, because the industry is so ignorant of what makes a game good it doesn't even realise that it's actually bad at game design.

It's terrible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If any game needed just plain ol' hit points and lots of them, it's Exalted. The PCs are all basically SNES-era Final Fantasy characters anyway.

Reminder that First Edition had a sidebar that encouraged everyone to take Ox-Body Technique just to survive combats because default health levels were awful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every time I read anything about Exalted, I think back to the time that White Wolf ran a "Graduate Your Game" promo for people to trade in their D&D 3e corebooks for Exalted corebooks. Converting people from one terribly designed system to another terribly designed system with even less rigour.

I have no idea why they felt they had to build such an epic-scale game on the foundation of Storyteller. Health Levels, at least, could have been an easy fix.

Falstaff posted:

Has John Wick ever created a functional game on his lonesome?
I haven't playtested it, but The Shotgun Diaries seems to work by virtue of being ultra-rules-lite. He seems more adept at that style of game than with the rules-medium, somewhat-narrative style of game that encompasses 7th Sea and L5R. Idunno if Blood & Honor improved on Houses of the Blooded.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 28, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Has John Wick ever created a functional game on his lonesome? I remember getting frustrated at a number of points of utter incoherence in Houses of the Blooded and eventually just walking away from a game mid-campaign. He seems to just view games rules as "good enough" when they work in his head and then never examines or stress tests them in any meaningful way.

Which is fine if you're writing games for yourself and your friends, but not a great idea when you're putting yourself up as a game auteur who putting out products for sale.
The thing I remember the most about Houses of the Blooded is that it had FATE-style Aspects you could compel, but it botched the design on them by attempting to apply them to a rules set where lots of political PVP was assumed as standard, and where you were meant to keep your Compels secret because someone else guessing yours would be a big deal.

This is more or less ruinous to the way FATE Aspects are actually meant to work (as up-front, defining features of the character, with the compels being levers out there to play with as the fiction demands).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

GreenMetalSun posted:

'It's easier to defend than attack, so turtle while throwing out as many lethal attacks as possible' is not a super hard concept to grasp. 3E sorta tried to fix this by making your initiative your hit points, but I admit I haven't run it, it seems like a nightmare to track.

Initiative tracking ends up being pretty easy. Ex3's combat system is very good, easily my favorite of the three editions. Its problem is that you very quickly start having to do an enormous amount of prep for any fight that isn't trivial, because the supply of pregen antagonists is woefully inadequate. I would happily delay the rest of the Exalted 3E line for years - or even cancel things like Alchemicals and Infernals - if they would just put out a Monster Manual that could keep up with Solars to Essence 5.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
One of my major complaints about 3e was that there's just far too much of it. It seemed to take the idea that there was massive amounts of charm bloat applied to combat and nothing elsewhere as an invitation to bloat a bunch of other charm trees.

I heard that DBs and Lunars were better about this but Solars have always been the core of the game and they got hosed up hard.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Maxwell Lord posted:

Reminder that First Edition had a sidebar that encouraged everyone to take Ox-Body Technique just to survive combats because default health levels were awful.

I have never understood the reasoning behind this, it seemed so half-assed.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Notahippie posted:

I honestly don't think that the framework for thinking about game design from a human psychology standpoint was very well developed until pretty drat recently. Some computer game devs were probably doing it before it got big, but the first time I ever remember hearing about research and theory-based game design in any kind of game (whether rpg, board, or video game) was the first Halo. It was a big deal at the time that Microsoft was actually doing research on what made video games fun and then doing that intentionally.

At the same time, I feel like even if they didn't have the terminology or psychological understanding of what they were doing, video games still demonstrated an understanding of design principles far before the RPG industry at large did. The first screen of the first level of Super Mario Bros does a really good job at deliberately familiarizing the player with the basic mechanics of the game without ever having to explain anything, and that was definitely a deliberate choice on the part of the designers.

LatwPIAT posted:

People are still just making it up with no formal theory or taught skill behind it. There is no continuation of institutional knowledge in the industry, meaning every lesson, every brilliance, and every guiding principle gets discovered and forgotten over and over again with each new crop of game designers. Best practices aren't preserved or highlighted, and when theory does get written down it tends to end up in insular communities, dead forums, and obscure 'zines that went out of business in 1998 with no way to get back-issues. And when a book does get written and it does see enough success to be known, it's Play Dirty and basically every piece of advice within is terrible, because the industry is so ignorant of what makes a game good it doesn't even realise that it's actually bad at game design.

It's terrible.

I think another thing that contributes to this state of affairs is the fact that so much of the actual core of play in tabletop RPGs exists in a purely theoretical space. With something like a video game the developer needs to have a certain baseline skill level in programming to actually create a sellable final product. Tabletop RPGs, on the other hand, are ultimately just a set of rules and guidelines to play a purely abstract game of make believe, so there's a lot less of an expectation on the developers to put actual thought into what we're doing. We all know how to make things up, so it's much easier for the end user to improvise or fix problems in an RPG than it would be for them to do the same for a video game.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Kestral posted:

Initiative tracking ends up being pretty easy. Ex3's combat system is very good, easily my favorite of the three editions. Its problem is that you very quickly start having to do an enormous amount of prep for any fight that isn't trivial, because the supply of pregen antagonists is woefully inadequate. I would happily delay the rest of the Exalted 3E line for years - or even cancel things like Alchemicals and Infernals - if they would just put out a Monster Manual that could keep up with Solars to Essence 5.

Although there were shortcuts available in 1ed and 2ed, my experiences as a GM point to this being basically true for prior editions as well. Circle of Solars v. any other Exalts in any non-trivial combat situation took astronomical amounts of prep and systems mastery (the basis of which being managing a massive amount of charms and effects... heaven help you if you have signature combos/group builds.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One of my favorite types of books is books of essays on writing. I don't care about about whole books by one author, because they're rarely good (see, e.g., Save the Cat), but collections of essays are good.

I wish there were more books by a collection of authors on game design, what makes games good. Like lumpley or the Cortex Hackers guide but writ large.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Kestral posted:

There is a monster manual - two, actually, but they currently exist as a bunch of individual antagonists you can buy on DTRPG. I don't know about hitting E5 but there's a bunch of things like giant krakens, chaos behemoths, and powerful enemy Exalted in the Adversaries of the Righteous and Hundred Devils Night Parade lines.

The devs have apparently sent those to layout to be made into collections, so you'll get your wish (hopefully mechanically well-constructed) soon enough!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spectralent posted:

One of my major complaints about 3e was that there's just far too much of it. It seemed to take the idea that there was massive amounts of charm bloat applied to combat and nothing elsewhere as an invitation to bloat a bunch of other charm trees.

I heard that DBs and Lunars were better about this but Solars have always been the core of the game and they got hosed up hard.
I abandoned my copy at an Origins hotel because I was sick of the antics of Sekuhara Man and his sidekick, Hamster Lad, but the Exalted 3E core was literally thicker than a scholarly textbook my grandpappy wrote once upon a time.

Exalted absolutely needed something like HP. The system in Scion 2E would have worked in some form too, where you may only have a few "wounds" but it's rare for an attack to do more than one wound at a time, instead the attack will do a wound AND ALSO blow up where you were standing and move you down the initative track and also now you have the status effect "Unmoxious" and "Disrespectful to Dirt."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

nacon posted:

Although there were shortcuts available in 1ed and 2ed, my experiences as a GM point to this being basically true for prior editions as well. Circle of Solars v. any other Exalts in any non-trivial combat situation took astronomical amounts of prep and systems mastery (the basis of which being managing a massive amount of charms and effects... heaven help you if you have signature combos/group builds.)

Yep, I ran years' worth of Ex1 and Ex2 both, but only after they had their main supplements filled out, so at least the charm sets for antagonists existed. Ex3 will get there eventually, but it's really only well-supported up to Essence 3 at the moment.

Joe Slowboat posted:

There is a monster manual - two, actually, but they currently exist as a bunch of individual antagonists you can buy on DTRPG. I don't know about hitting E5 but there's a bunch of things like giant krakens, chaos behemoths, and powerful enemy Exalted in the Adversaries of the Righteous and Hundred Devils Night Parade lines.

The devs have apparently sent those to layout to be made into collections, so you'll get your wish (hopefully mechanically well-constructed) soon enough!

I followed those as they were released, but they weren't sufficient, especially once Solars are around Essence 4.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't complain about Exalted's lack of a monster manual too much, since it's been very profitable for me. (Please buy my stuff.)

But yeah, I don't really get why they aren't more aggressive about getting an organized monster manual out there, aside from their entire content pipe being broken.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kestral posted:

I followed those as they were released, but they weren't sufficient, especially once Solars are around Essence 4.

Hopefully the gm advice book that is coming Soon will have advice on that too!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Spend all your XP to make your character not die, instead of buying anything flavorful or fun" was definitely a thing in 1E. (I have little 2E experience, and no 3E, because when the burnout hit, it hit hard.)

The whole line had some pretty serious problems with giving you a bunch of weird fun flavorful options and then making them completely useless. "Here are all these fun splats! You will never get to play them. Just make a Solar with a daiklave and lots of dots in Don't Die."

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

One of the constant problems with Exalted is that NPCs are insanely complicated precisely because they are built with the same rules as PCs. Every time they promise to come up with a simplified system for NPCs, and every time the 'simplfied system' is just a list of NPC stat templates that are still just as complex as PCs. 3e is arguably the worst here for it because there's a ton of charms that close the door on asymmetrical NPC stats. You can't, say, just make NPC rolls a static thing because there's a fair number of charms that say things like 'when your opponent rolls a 4, you can spend a mote to remove a success from their roll' and such. To make NPCs simpler you'd first have to redo a bunch of charms and systems

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I was excited about Ex3 at first but I just lack the will to learn a new game along with all those loving charms when the pdf/books are still a bitch to navigate and they've only managed to make people do more work in order to play.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

Some time during 2nd edition I got so sick of Exalted-the-system that I just hacked the whole thing into Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

Goon and superlative GM Old Kentucky Shark ran me and some others in an Exalted game with a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying hack and it absolutely worked a treat.

(I really miss that game.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly, good on John Wick for totally bamboozling Chaosium into taking on the insane burden of finishing the 7th Sea books they don't have money for, as well as an entire other game line set in Not Asia. All while all the biggest fans have already payed for all of it as well as abandoning the game totally. Even at its initial wave of hype on release before reality set in the game didn't have any interest beyond backers.

Huh I totally forgot about the Not-Asia expansion. Did that end up making its funding goal on kickstarter? People were definitely a lot less enthused for that than the first 7th Sea kickstarter.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Exalted 3 sometimes brings to mind Dungeon World. It's supposed to be a reinvention and rediscovery of a prelapsarian game, and it even does a lot of cool new things, but it fucks itself up with a bunch of legacy bits that I'm firmly convinced were largely held onto for aesthetic, nostalgic reasons*, and not because they're vital to "the Exalted experience" unless you're into that same D&D-type poison where "six Ability scores is what makes it D&D; nine Attributes and 25(ish) Abilities is what makes it Exalted."

* I'm sure Holden and especially John could squat out a few thousand words that sound like a considered, practical justification of that bullshit, but "BP/XP are the good rules you think you don't need" so lmao into infinity.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Huh I totally forgot about the Not-Asia expansion. Did that end up making its funding goal on kickstarter? People were definitely a lot less enthused for that than the first 7th Sea kickstarter.

Oh yeah, it still made over $200k.

EDIT: The last KS update was in October and it sounds like it's in layout. Probably still is, but in any case likely close to shipping.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Whybird posted:

Ah, but you see a competent crowdfunder will know when to ignore pledges as written.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate this post.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

Oh yeah, it still made over $200k.

EDIT: The last KS update was in October and it sounds like it's in layout. Probably still is, but in any case likely close to shipping.

Dang, well good luck to them and all. That was something that really sucked about the 7th Sea 2e initiative. Like, they were actually fixing a lot of the stupid poo poo about the setting, like the incoherent map, adding in some more nation stuff including a whole new extra not-Europe nation, hiring BIPOC to do not-Africa and not-New World supplements, and in general polishing the solid lore 1e bits up. That whole end of it looked great. And then it all nose-dived into the ocean.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Kestral posted:

That's good to know. I was tying to write some rolling/tracking macros for it in roll20, but I don't have the energy to care about/fix/write homebrew for Exalted like I used to. It used to be my favorite game (see username), but Morke and Holden really killed any love/goodwill I had towards it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Cessna posted:

I have never understood the reasoning behind this, it seemed so half-assed.

If I remember correctly it was also incorrect.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

hyphz posted:

If I remember correctly it was also incorrect.

Yeah, numerically an extra health level or two would do nothing for you in Ex2, and you could have spent that charm on something like a no-sell defense or a surprise negator or, if you're getting serious, some element of the filtering system (where you have multiple redundant defenses you can choose to activate at different points in the attack process, so that you can first use your free defenses and hope to survive that way, and if those fail you can spend effort to no-sell. You didn't want to only do this, because later step defenses wouldn't protect you from potentially lethal effects like poison or other attack riders. Second edition was bad, and even the 2.5 errata only made it somewhat playable as opposed to a huge mess. I still ran it for years in college but I was working against the system and had to discuss the detente on optimization with my players to make it work.)

In Ex3 Ox-Body charms are more useful because of the new combat system, but I still probably wouldn't go for them.

For the record, Ex3 is a huge improvement on Ex2, mostly. It has a handful of subsystems that are either divisive (craft), missing (bureaucracy and management) or such garbage that I can't really imagine anyone sat down and worked out the play loop after writing it (naval combat). But combat, social influence, sorcery, and a wide array of other core systems are crunchy but fun and tactically interesting. There's still some issues, of course, but it's really like night and day, and while the system is crunchy you really don't need to delve deep into the charms to run it (though delving deep will give players more options, obviously).

I'm really looking forward to running Dragon-Blooded, or playing as one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Joe Slowboat posted:

In Ex3 Ox-Body charms are more useful because of the new combat system, but I still probably wouldn't go for them.

For the record, Ex3 is a huge improvement on Ex2, mostly. It has a handful of subsystems that are either divisive (craft), missing (bureaucracy and management) or such garbage that I can't really imagine anyone sat down and worked out the play loop after writing it (naval combat). But combat, social influence, sorcery, and a wide array of other core systems are crunchy but fun and tactically interesting. There's still some issues, of course, but it's really like night and day, and while the system is crunchy you really don't need to delve deep into the charms to run it (though delving deep will give players more options, obviously).

I'm really looking forward to running Dragon-Blooded, or playing as one.

Yeah Ox Bodies are in that classic spot of not being very exciting but being so incredibly strong mechanically that everybody should probably get at least one.

I've never played anything other than Ex3 but your summary is accurate to my experience of it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I only have dim memories of playing a bunch of 1e and 2e Exalted, but one thing I do remember is that after a while everyone at the table realized that Ox-Body was a sucker's bet, because if you were taking damage at all, you were dying. Waste of a charm that could have gone into perfect defenses and an essence engine.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

LatwPIAT posted:

It's terrible.

Reminds me how I first learnt game design talking to Raph Koster and others on old forums back in the 90s and early 00s. So many awesome game design conversations lost to time.

Like tears in rain.

Couldn't help myself

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah Ox Bodies are in that classic spot of not being very exciting but being so incredibly strong mechanically that everybody should probably get at least one.

Which would be the opposite of their 2e role if they weren't incredibly boring and useless in 2e! But in 2e taking one was such a lost opportunity to take charms that could keep you alive that it was a complete trap for new players, with a sidebar to encourage them to step on the landmine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Joe Slowboat posted:

Which would be the opposite of their 2e role if they weren't incredibly boring and useless in 2e! But in 2e taking one was such a lost opportunity to take charms that could keep you alive that it was a complete trap for new players, with a sidebar to encourage them to step on the landmine.

My favorite will always be the 3E sidebar that advises players that Abilities are cheaper to buy with bonus points while Charms are cheaper to buy with real XP, so players should invest in more Abilities at chargen, but which pointedly does not advise players that low Attributes are cheaper to raise than high Attributes after chargen, so players should make sure to buy some high scores and some low scores rather than a bunch of middling scores.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

My favorite will always be the 3E sidebar that advises players that Abilities are cheaper to buy with bonus points while Charms are cheaper to buy with real XP, so players should invest in more Abilities at chargen, but which pointedly does not advise players that low Attributes are cheaper to raise than high Attributes after chargen, so players should make sure to buy some high scores and some low scores rather than a bunch of middling scores.

The only alternative would be giving you the bad rules that you think you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

I only have dim memories of playing a bunch of 1e and 2e Exalted, but one thing I do remember is that after a while everyone at the table realized that Ox-Body was a sucker's bet, because if you were taking damage at all, you were dying. Waste of a charm that could have gone into perfect defenses and an essence engine.

What did they eventually start calling it in Exalted? Paranoia combat?