Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are definitely assets in CS1 that are high enough quality to stick into 2 if the technical side were doable. Some people go a little buck wild with their 50 MB buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

This seems like a significant mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aALkRFdWOhM

Looks like a lot of surfacing tools and plopping and possibly importing of assets? Not sure how well this will work without official asset support, but looks cool.

btw a lot of packs have been released for extra, so you can make actual beaches and stuff now:

from https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/80867/Windows

or perhaps you like pavement that has detail?

from https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/80583/Windows

there's also the completely separate "Asset Packs Manager" which lets you import kitbashed assets out of existing assets and props (no new ones!!):

from https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/78974/Windows

although "Asset Packs Manager" has the warning

quote:

Unofficial Custom Assets are highly experimental. They WILL crash your game at some point or throw errors. Create redundant copies of your save files and use at your own risk. There has not been a lot of testing done on custom assets, and I'm publishing this project to get feedback from the community.

Extra says it won't cause crashes, but ymmv.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Is there an actual mod manager now? Or do I have to do everything manually?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Concurred posted:

Is there an actual mod manager now? Or do I have to do everything manually?

the paradox mods website works to some extent, and there's the in-game mod manager that has even more functionality.

I mostly just open up the third-party Skyve program and do my management through that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dragonshardz posted:

still playing High Rise City instead of CSL2, and I realized I sorta want the burgage plots from Manor Lords for my zoning needs. Grid-based zoning is honestly kind of outdated and i'd like to just be able to draw a polygon in which homes or whatever are built

I consider High Rise City to be more of an industry management game than a city builder. It's like a reskinned Anno game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone heard anything about a mod for historical buildings? The snap to building prop thing is great but as long as zoned buildings can replace at random you can't use it on them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone heard anything about a mod for historical buildings? The snap to building prop thing is great but as long as zoned buildings can replace at random you can't use it on them.

I think Plop the Growables has an option for that: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/75826/Windows

quote:

Optionally Disable building level changes for user-selected individual buildings
Optionally Disable building level changes for manually plopped growable buildings
Optionally disable building level changes for ALL buildings
Toggle level-locking (on/off) for all existing buildings

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ah cool. I didn't read the whole description of a lot of the mods I added.

Hope that'll be expanded to being able to switch it individually and by district instead of all or nothing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah cool. I didn't read the whole description of a lot of the mods I added.

Hope that'll be expanded to being able to switch it individually and by district instead of all or nothing.

I think you can still set it per-building by clicking on them and checking a thing in the window for the building.

I saw it in CityPlannerPlays stream last night, but wasn't paying that much attention, so I could be off.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Wtf, this isn't in the base game? Cs1 had this from the beginning right?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wtf, this isn't in the base game? Cs1 had this from the beginning right?

it did not

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

new dev post, just timelines mostly, here's an abridged version:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/upcoming-patch-content.1681104/

quote:

Economy Re-work
The initial implementation of the economy re-work is done, and the patch is currently being polished. [...]

Upcoming Creator Packs
As a result of this extended feedback and adjustment period for the economy patch, the Creator Packs will be pushed to post-summer.[...]

What is "summer lock"?
In accordance with Swedish and Finnish vacation laws and union agreements, both Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order observe a general holiday period during the month of July and parts of August, where employees have the right to four consecutive weeks of vacation. This means that our staffing levels are reduced on both the development and publishing side. Therefore, we avoid scheduling any updates during this time period. As there is always a potential risk when patching a game, we always want to have the necessary personnel available in case any critical bug is introduced so we can fix it within a reasonable timeframe. Hence, we do not plan for patches or updates in the month of July or early August.

Upcoming Patches
The patch, scheduled for release soon, primarily focuses on the economy. However, there are some other requested improvements included such as an update to the building upgrade system. This means you will be able to place building upgrades more freely around the main buildings and also delete and move specific upgrades. We will provide detailed patch notes in connection to the patch as usual.

The next patch, expected after summer, will introduce some free content and other frequent requests, such as new service buildings and vehicles, as well as the addition of a surface tool to allow more freedom to paint the areas around buildings. We are also making progress with the technical difficulties that are blocking the release of the asset editor; we cannot confirm if it will be ready for the first patch after summer, so no promises just yet, but we are doing everything we can to make it so.

Consoles
We had a Beta build delivery at the end of April which has undergone extensive performance and stability tests. [...] But, to set expectations, the window for an October release is shrinking and it might have to be delayed further.

Player Feedback
We have two groups testing our patches and providing valuable feedback before public release: a long-standing group of dedicated modders and a newer group of community representatives and prominent modders who joined through the application process last year. We recently held a more intimate meeting with representatives from the community, [...]

I also need to include this reply to that thread because I find it really funny (and true):

quote:

And still it doesn't end there.

Have you even read the posting which started this thread?
Everything in there is an announcement of delays. Granted, they have tried hard to make it sound nice, but in the end it is just that: announcing that everything they are talking about will be late.
"Economy patch"? 50% more time till release than initially announced.
Next patch after that? Earliest in September, so at least three months from now.
Console version? Unlikely to be released in October.

And that is the only reason why they are showing up in the forums right now: to deliver that message.

The whole CS2 story is a story of unmet goals, late deliveries and even then in bad shape.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
moving in the right direction, but the asset editor (and therefor new buildings) being pushed to post autumn is disappointing. personally i'm not particularly interested in playing with the current limited selection of themes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The economy rework is big for me personally. I don't have much motivation to play when it feels like everything happening underneath is broken.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Metrication posted:

moving in the right direction, but the asset editor (and therefor new buildings) being pushed to post autumn is disappointing. personally i'm not particularly interested in playing with the current limited selection of themes.

Yep. Can't make a cool looking city with the vanilla assets so not much reason to play. I might check out some of the new maps and mess with mods, but like "seriously" building a city has to wait for assets.

Anyway I'm not going to get mad at them for taking their vacation time, but I am going to hope someone has an insight and fixes this before then.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 23, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popete posted:

The economy rework is big for me personally. I don't have much motivation to play when it feels like everything happening underneath is broken.

Agreed, I think I'll still be more of a "check in for a bit and then quit again" until custom assets, but I can't play the game if its paint-a-city 'creative mode.' I don't need it to be a super deep game, but I want to feel like what I'm doing is actually pushing and pulling on systems in a way that gives me feedback.

Metrication posted:

Am I misremembering someone just speculating, but I thought we had an idea that the asset editor was that far off? Not that its any less disappointing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The economy rework patch coming out soon is apparently such an extensive change to the game systems you'll have to do stuff to convert savegames, so I would hold off on starting cities if anyone was thinking about that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Grand Fromage posted:

The economy rework patch coming out soon is apparently such an extensive change to the game systems you'll have to do stuff to convert savegames, so I would hold off on starting cities if anyone was thinking about that.

Don't worry, we weren't.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The developers breaking saves in a game that isn't early access :psyduck:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
yea, looking at the steam charts, CS currently has twice the avg players compared to CS2.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
When CS1 came out, we didn’t have a functional city builder to compare it too. We do now, it’s so bizarre they released it in such a bad condition, it’s hard to get games out of this tailspin.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

The developers breaking saves in a game that isn't early access :psyduck:

oh i see you are new to paradox

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I've never played one of their games, was always put off by the DLC treadmill

e: aside from cities skylines 1, where the DLC is mostly optional

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It sounds like the message from the Youtuber meetup that the game was basically impossible to fail was heard loud and clear, so I'm hoping the economy update reflects that.

CS1 had a really good balance for difficulty, not a complete walkover but also generally easy enough to get going

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

It sounds like the message from the Youtuber meetup that the game was basically impossible to fail was heard loud and clear, so I'm hoping the economy update reflects that.

The patch is coming in a couple weeks so I wouldn't expect any of their feedback to be in it just yet.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Am I misremembering someone just speculating, but I thought we had an idea that the asset editor was that far off? Not that its any less disappointing.

they said i think last month that they were hoping for it to be in beta by summer but that's ofc slipped now

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

mfcrocker posted:

CS1 had a really good balance for difficulty, not a complete walkover but also generally easy enough to get going

I agree with this; I think it's just enough to make it feel like a game, without getting in the way of being able to (eventually) do what you want.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

yea, looking at the steam charts, CS currently has twice the avg players compared to CS2.

This is probably more a function of CS:1's much more accessible system requirements than anything else.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

where did you hear this btw? I saw it as an item in CityPlannerPlays' stream where he went over what he discussed with CO (video attached below!), but not sure if there's more information on what the conversion entails or if its just "some poo poo in your city may get hosed up for a bit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1VolOOMCs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Same place.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The CPP video made it clear that there was a dodgy beta patch that did nuke existing saves, but the release patch should be backwards compatible but will need a tutorial on how to convert the saves (which CO are gonna make into a Wiki post, but CPP is gonna make into a Youtube video because obviously)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

The CPP video made it clear that there was a dodgy beta patch that did nuke existing saves, but the release patch should be backwards compatible but will need a tutorial on how to convert the saves (which CO are gonna make into a Wiki post, but CPP is gonna make into a Youtube video because obviously)

thanks for the recap, I tuned in to some of the stream but not all, and haven't watched the video yet.

A tutorial on converting a save is wild though lol, I'll do it, but yeesh that seems unprofesh.

still rather have a game that breaks saves than a game that doesn't but is unwilling to improve though, so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I am very curious what the issues are with the asset importing since uh

https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/79752/Windows

There are full-rear end assets on the mods already.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I am very curious what the issues are with the asset importing since uh

https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/79752/Windows

There are full-rear end assets on the mods already.

i really want to get a deep dive into what happened here, since it's such a big part of what makes CS CS. personally i'm guessing its a combination of "it probably won't be that hard" and then when discovering it was that hard a increasingly insane series of workaround to make unity actually play nice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i really want to get a deep dive into what happened here, since it's such a big part of what makes CS CS. personally i'm guessing its a combination of "it probably won't be that hard" and then when discovering it was that hard a increasingly insane series of workaround to make unity actually play nice.

Yeah I'm guessing it's a spectacular amount of unanticipated bullshit that I am thankful I don't have to deal with.

E: gently caress YES my CS1 was busted and I haven't been able to load my saves since last year but it's working again hell yeah

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2024

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I'm guessing it's a spectacular amount of unanticipated bullshit that I am thankful I don't have to deal with.

E: gently caress YES my CS1 was busted and I haven't been able to load my saves since last year but it's working again hell yeah

What did you do? I havent been able to play for months on my new computer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Am I misunderstanding or are modders able to add assets but the devs aren't?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
would someone be willing to indulge me if I asked for a shot of what a CS1 game would look like if you went hard on custom/modded assets?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gradenko_2000 posted:

would someone be willing to indulge me if I asked for a shot of what a CS1 game would look like if you went hard on custom/modded assets?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/fzace2/this_bridge_took_me_a_lot_of_time_but_i_really/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/g6qqfx/a_small_medieval_village_in_cities_skylines/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/vi4qn2/sometimes_i_get_too_carried_away_with_street/

Poil posted:

the base game also has assets without an editor. i don't know why it would be an actual requirement

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2024

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Poil posted:

The custom assets that modders are adding aren't new meshes, it's assets and props that are already in the game but combined together to look like a new asset.

The thing the devs are working on that seems to always take more time is letting modders import entirely new meshes.

Like there's custom assets that are stadiums, but it's using the existing track or soccer field and existing bleachers or stairs or buildings to form the rest of the stadium. What the devs can't figure out yet is letting people import a whole 3d mesh for say, the Allianz arena, or the Skydome, etc.

Now, why the devs aren't able to roll out an asset editor after a year, that's the billion dollar question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's especially strange since getting assets into a unity game is embarassingly trivial. Sure, you need to also have a way of adding functionality to the assets, but everything else is extremely well-trodden ground.