Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just different stylistic preferences, on something that is inherently old fashioned and requiring suspension of disbelief in 2021 anyway. You like dubs to have a bit of a thick accent thrown on, ok. And some prefer say the anime dub approach (not going for the accent), which has also suited video games over the years. I don't get why more than one preference on something as niche as this is boiled down to people looking at somebody like they're a maniac.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spermando posted:

Did they make zero grammar mistakes over the course of several hours and use lots of idioms?

A lot of the Indian students would!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

quote:

Have you seriously never met someone with an accent who speaks perfectly fine English?
No. I talk to translators and linguists very often and even the ones who studied Spanish in college and spent 25 years here occasionally use the wrong words or intonation. Nobody sounds like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBvUujMcwfo

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

is your point of contention that people in media don’t sound like how people talk in real life?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I say give me the dulcet tones of Japanese language (a la Gackt), or give me the cast of Cowboy Bebop's dub once again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

is your point of contention that people in media don’t sound like how people talk in real life?

lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess they should have hired Nathan Fielder to play Jin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKUneur1RDE&t=76s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

lmao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Saw 23 new posts in the ps4 thread and i was not disappointed

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

No, the point was that what GOT did isn't more natural than an anime dub or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually HATED in God of War how Atreus, the son of Greek and Norse gods, sounded like some kid from California. Give him SOME accent like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every game should pick an accent and go all in on it.

Make everyone in Wolverine have a heavy Italian-American accent so thick you could cut it with a pizza slicer. People need to go all in on it like Xenoblade Chronicles did.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

hahahaha

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

If a game is associated with a real country like GOT, or say... Metro, it would be really off putting if the english dub just had everyone speaking with an American accent. Also Americans aren't the only ones playing with English dubs. Or do they make a separate track for every country that speaks english?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Holy poo poo lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not sure where I stand in this conversation lemme quickly confer with the translators and linguists i talk to very often

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't like playing Dragon Quest 11 but i could listen to the voice acting all day

More games with strong regional accents, particularly geordie and norwiegan plz

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagine if British English became the dominant language of film and we had to listen to all the italian-american gangsters speak in Manc accents instead.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't like playing Dragon Quest 11 but i could listen to the voice acting all day

Ni no Kuni 2 has the little mascot character speaking in a welsh accent and it's an absolute joy but unfortunately 9 out of 10 of the translators and linguists i speak to very often say this is wrong and they should sound AMERICAN cuz they're speaking ENGLISH

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love it when you go to not-Bali and all the tourists have lovely Australian accents and are named like, Bruce

Perfection

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fridge corn posted:

I'm not sure where I stand in this conversation lemme quickly confer with the translators and linguists i talk to very often

My stepmom worked with many translators and in the language training center at the UN and she she says alot of what they do came be summed up as "well, we tried our best"

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That perfectly sums up simultaneous interpreting. Sometimes it's better to make up stuff so that the audience don't notice something's wrong.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah I should have mentioned it is for things like that, not for official documents and such, those need legalese poo poo in them.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I like it when they speak English with an accent, if the accent is how that character would speak English. It’s a little more grounding? E.g. if they’re supposed to be from Norway, speak English with a Norwegian accent. AS LONG as the actor actually has that accent. No Americans putting on a faux accent.

On the other hand, the ‘analogous’ accents they did on Chernobyl worked too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I was watching Rush Hour the other day and I was really annoyed that Jackie Chan's character spoke with an accent. He's speaking English for christsakes they should have dubbed him to sound more american

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

lmfao

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

I was watching Rush Hour the other day and I was really annoyed that Jackie Chan's character spoke with an accent. He's speaking English for christsakes they should have dubbed him to sound more american

Reminds me of the time they dubbed Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice with a non-accented voice.

https://youtu.be/6p3nmyTICo0

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Dewgy posted:

Normal’s fine to start, Tsushima isn’t really focused heavily on its challenge and there’s a pretty broad set of skills and abilities to pick up and get used to.

Once you’re feeling pretty comfortable with it and have the bulk of stuff unlocked, I recommend skipping Hard and switching to Lethal if you feel like bumping it up. Lethal to me feels less like it’s cheaply harder and more like it’s just faster, where Hard felt like just Normal with the enemy stats bumped up.

Lethal can be pretty brutal depending on what types of enemies you’re up against, but with you and enemies being extra fragile it really rewards making use of all the systems, and the penalty for failure is about a five second loading screen. Even on the PS4, GoT’s loading times are obscenely fast.

And for me at least, Japanese audio with subs all the way. Even knowing the game was written and voiced in English first it still feels weird to me to play it that way.

If you start playing the multiplayer stuff, especially the survival, you'll get to the point where Normal is way too easy in the singleplayer. I never tried Lethal but I don't think the multiplayer ever gets to that point.

This languages argument is... a bit daft? I don't know why getting someone to speak in a Japanese accent to represent someone as Japanese, but have them speak English for an English-speaking audience, would be unreasonable. That's how real people work in the real world, it's not a thing Hollywood made up for our entertainment. I thought the usual complaint was about media whitewashing people's voices to make everything as flatly American as possible. Like if you had an agent go to Japan to meet an important Japanese contact, and that person was Michael Caine, it'd be a bit weird.

veni veni veni posted:

Have you seriously never met someone with an accent who speaks perfectly fine English? I feel like that is something most people experience on a daily basis.
No kidding, and on the other side of this coin have you spoken to English people? There are plenty of people here in England who, despite only ever speaking English and having no other languages to their name, are absolutely garbage at speaking English. And it gets even worse when they write anything, because you will be astounded at how wrong people can be and how little they care. My manager at work appears to genuinely think "bought" is spelt "bort".

Meanwhile, someone who has English as a second language will apologise about mistakes that are something so insignificant that I've understood what they meant immediately. It does help that I've got nearly thirty years of interpreting what actual English people think is English. It's basically Ork-speak from Warhammer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

itz abit sad innit mate

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you start playing the multiplayer stuff, especially the survival, you'll get to the point where Normal is way too easy in the singleplayer. I never tried Lethal but I don't think the multiplayer ever gets to that point.

This languages argument is... a bit daft? I don't know why getting someone to speak in a Japanese accent to represent someone as Japanese, but have them speak English for an English-speaking audience, would be unreasonable. That's how real people work in the real world, it's not a thing Hollywood made up for our entertainment. I thought the usual complaint was about media whitewashing people's voices to make everything as flatly American as possible. Like if you had an agent go to Japan to meet an important Japanese contact, and that person was Michael Caine, it'd be a bit weird.

No kidding, and on the other side of this coin have you spoken to English people? There are plenty of people here in England who, despite only ever speaking English and having no other languages to their name, are absolutely garbage at speaking English. And it gets even worse when they write anything, because you will be astounded at how wrong people can be and how little they care. My manager at work appears to genuinely think "bought" is spelt "bort".

Meanwhile, someone who has English as a second language will apologise about mistakes that are something so insignificant that I've understood what they meant immediately. It does help that I've got nearly thirty years of interpreting what actual English people think is English. It's basically Ork-speak from Warhammer.

Nah then, nowt wrong wid queens english. Ya sound bort n pad for by eye are hey

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

It's basically Ork-speak from Warhammer.

hahahaha

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

This languages argument is... a bit daft? I don't know why getting someone to speak in a Japanese accent to represent someone as Japanese, but have them speak English for an English-speaking audience, would be unreasonable. That's how real people work in the real world

It's not how it's done anywhere else in the world (change the game language to German, Spanish or Italian to see what I mean or look for foreign dubs of The Simpsons or Seinfeld, for example), and what they did in English is _not_ how that works in the real world. When you talk to your friends, you aren't thinking "my friend has a foreign accent". If the aim of a dub is to make the same auditory impression on a foreign audience, adding an accent is a layer of abstraction that wasn't present in the original. Source: I work in localization and that's what the literature says on the topic.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
In my experience, ESL people are the only ones capable of speaking english any way close to "perfect" because they learn it from books which are free of society-based linguistic presumptions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spermando posted:

adding an accent is a layer of abstraction that wasn't present in the original.

Got ya. How does it work in stuff where you have different local accents in the source material?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got ya. How does it work in stuff where you have different local accents in the source material?

In general, accents are only added in dubs when they're part of the story. For example, when a character being foreign is a relevant bit of information that other characters acknowledge or something that causes friction to them. If someone makes fun of someone else in an American show because they have a Boston accent, the translators usually try to make up something else to make fun of because people abroad won't have any idea what a Boston accent is or why it might sound funny.
In the English dub of GOT everyone has the same generic Japanese accent and they don't expect you to know what a Kansai accent is or why it's funny.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 15, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This argument doesn’t even work because Japanese people have a wide variety of accents anyway across their ecosystem. A man raised on Tsushima island is going to have a different accent than a man raised in Tokyo, or a woman from Hiroshima. The idea that everyone in an American dub should have flat American accents regardless of where they are from or what part of Japan they represent means you’d lose any of that in exchange for… hearing a more “familiar” version of the dialogue?

Or are you suggesting that we should have wild New England accents for Japanese people from Sendai and crass Southern accents for the people from Fukuoka and nice “normal” mid-Atlantic accents for the central mainland folks?

For the record, I’m 33, I watch an absolute ton of foreign films and TV shows (not just anime) and I’ve literally never once heard anyone make this argument in my entire life.

Like, I’m trying to imagine an Irishman watching The Departed and switching from the Boston dub to the Irish dub, and going “oh now that’s better, you can really hear what their saying now!”

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Spermando posted:

It's not how it's done anywhere else in the world (change the game language to German, Spanish or Italian to see what I mean or look for foreign dubs of The Simpsons or Seinfeld, for example), and what they did in English is _not_ how that works in the real world. When you talk to your friends, you aren't thinking "my friend has a foreign accent". If the aim of a dub is to make the same auditory impression on a foreign audience, adding an accent is a layer of abstraction that wasn't present in the original. Source: I work in localization and that's what the literature says on the topic.

The main cast of the Simpsons and Seinfeld are white americans so I'm not sure how that helps to illustrate your point?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the most "who cares" poo poo in the world

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Lol imagine the reception this game would have if they put all this love and care into crafting this beautiful world and then the Japanese main character sounded like Doug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

what if sushi ghost had weapon durability