Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

notMordecai posted:

I am super new to iTunes and I can't seem to figure out (or google the appropriate iTunes terms) how to have iTunes monitor the iTunes Media folder and have it automatically add items I add in there to the iTunes Library.

Is there a way to do that?
Not in iTunes.

I used to use a free utility called iTunes Library Updater. It worked a few months ago, not sure about now.

E: and I think the term you want to look for is "watch folder".

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Wow, 10.5 is a lot more responsive on my dusty old P4 than 10.4 was.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

notMordecai posted:

I am super new to iTunes and I can't seem to figure out (or google the appropriate iTunes terms) how to have iTunes monitor the iTunes Media folder and have it automatically add items I add in there to the iTunes Library.

On Mac, there's an 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder inside iTunes Media that will pick up items you put in there. Dunno about Windows.

Tip for dealing with iTunes: Don't try to manage your music yourself unless you have got OCD really bad. Turn on the automatic reorganization stuff and don't even think about where your mp3s are besides 'in the iTunes Media folder'.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

notMordecai posted:

Dump new stuff into My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Automatically Add to iTunes

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

moms pubis posted:

Wow, 10.5 is a lot more responsive on my dusty old P4 than 10.4 was.

Hm, this is odd. I pick apart the iTunes installer and install only the bits I want manually, and this time, there's no separate (and required) installer for QuickTime. Any relation to your performance boost, I wonder?

New startup program, "Apple Push." (APSDaemon.exe) Well, I'll just 'push' this into my growing list of disabled Apple poo poo.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not in iTunes.

I used to use a free utility called iTunes Library Updater. It worked a few months ago, not sure about now.

E: and I think the term you want to look for is "watch folder".

That's beyond retarded.

I thought you could rescan the folders manually at least.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

That's beyond retarded.

I thought you could rescan the folders manually at least.
I don't know about Windows either, but seriously, just do this:

chimz posted:

On Mac, there's an 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder inside iTunes Media that will pick up items you put in there. Dunno about Windows.

Tip for dealing with iTunes: Don't try to manage your music yourself unless you have got OCD really bad. Turn on the automatic reorganization stuff and don't even think about where your mp3s are besides 'in the iTunes Media folder'.
When iTunes organizes your music, it puts everything into an Artist folder (ex: Foo Fighters). Then it puts it in another folder in there based on the album name (ex: The Colour And The Shape). Then all the mp3s are in there. The only exception for music for this is if you select "Is part of a compilation", for soundtracks with multiple artists. Then you have a "Compilations" folder in the root folder for music, and one folder in there for each album, rather than tons of extra folders for one artist on one album.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 12, 2011

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

That's fine but I'm not letting itunes manage my stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

Well then you're doing everything full manual and getting a lot of error messages from iTunes every time you move a file or change a filename. But it's you doing it to yourself, and you know what you're getting yourself into.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

chemosh6969 posted:

Just out of curiosity, why not?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

IUG posted:

Well then you're doing everything full manual and getting a lot of error messages from iTunes every time you move a file or change a filename. But it's you doing it to yourself, and you know what you're getting yourself into.

This is probably true on Windows, but Mac users note that you're welcome to manually organize things and re-name, move, etc. without confusing iTunes thanks to how OSX handles files.

Still, though, there's absolutely no reason for my 27-folder A-Z/# system anymore and I have no idea why I do it. I need to just let Apple reorganize it one night, I know my tags are good.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

IUG posted:

I don't move files around or rename them. The only thing I do is add new stuff to my folders. I have more video files than my PC can hold on it's hard drive, so I have externals. My video folders are grouped together on whichever drive they're on and that folder is added to the Windows video library group. If I ever want to add a new folder of stuff, it's as simple as right clicking it and selecting the right library I want to add it to. Any other programs, besides itunes, that I have linked to it will also update with the new media.

The other audio/video playing software I use is using the Windows library and whenever I add something to the folder, it's automatically updated in the software. I also use TVersity and PS3 Media Server and those scan their folders for new items.

For my itunes library, I simply added my Music and Videos libraries, which have the rest of the folders linked to them but it sounds like it never does a rescan, although I thought you could.

By not letting itunes manage my media, I also never have the displeasure of posting how I've suddenly lost files and searching won't turn them up. The only thing I let it manage are any free videos I get off itunes. I don't care what it does with those since they're mostly single episodes of TV shows I wouldn't miss if they vanished.

Why itunes can't do basic functionality like add new media items that are added to it's library is beyond me. I guess it's just an Apple thing.

While I'm here, I have a question. Is there any way to change the way the videos files are displayed when I have my ipad hooked up and I'm syncing stuff? Scrolling through large thumbnail type boxes is slow as poo poo and if I'm unchecking things, it's super easy to scroll past things. Last week I had about 40 things to uncheck and the only way I knew I got them all was when it said I didn't have any checked. Then I get to scroll through again to check the new things I wanted, since if I didn't do it that way, I'd never know if I accidentally missed something I wanted to uncheck.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
How would I tell itunes to automatically eject any song that I skipped over on my smart playlist? I can't seem to get anything with the last skipped option to work...does that particular option now work with the "Live update"?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How would I tell itunes to automatically eject any song that I skipped over on my smart playlist? I can't seem to get anything with the last skipped option to work...does that particular option now work with the "Live update"?

By eject, do you mean delete? It won't automatically delete anything. However, you could set up a smart playlist that has something to be "Skip Count is greater than 0", and then just purge the playlist every once in a while.

If you mean take it out of a playlist, but keep it on your computer, you could set the smart playlist to exclude any song that has a "Skip Count is greater than 0", or "Last Skipped is in the last Week" or whatever criteria you want.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IUG posted:

By eject, do you mean delete? It won't automatically delete anything. However, you could set up a smart playlist that has something to be "Skip Count is greater than 0", and then just purge the playlist every once in a while.

If you mean take it out of a playlist, but keep it on your computer, you could set the smart playlist to exclude any song that has a "Skip Count is greater than 0", or "Last Skipped is in the last Week" or whatever criteria you want.

If I put in "Skip count is greater than 0" it whittles my almost 5000 song playlist down to 8 songs. That can't be right.

EDIT- Actually let me revise this post. If I set the smart playlist to "skip count is less than 1" it WILL actually take the song out of the playlist (what I wanted) as long as it's not the 1st song on the playlist. Kind of annoying but I guess I can live with it for now.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 13, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Look at your skip count for the songs. Chances are you've probably hit the skip button for each at least once in your iTunes library's life. That's why I also suggested doing a last skip based on a time period.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey there, I have a question. Right now, my iPod is connected to my computer. It comes up as [x]'s iPod in My Computer, but it does not show up on iTunes. I followed all of Apple's support information, and it still doesn't go.

Does anyone know how I might fix this? I'd like to be able to add/remove songs to my iPod again.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I use foobar as my primary music player and have been using foo_dop to control the music on my iPhone. It's awesome, but it hasn't been updated for iOS 5 yet. In the meantime, iOS 5 wiped out my music library, so looks like I'll need to use iTunes to refresh it. I added all my music to iTunes just fine, but it's not picking up on the album art. I have folder.(jpg|png|etc) in every single album directory. Is there a way to get iTunes to recognize the album art?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hey there, I have a question. Right now, my iPod is connected to my computer. It comes up as [x]'s iPod in My Computer, but it does not show up on iTunes. I followed all of Apple's support information, and it still doesn't go.

Does anyone know how I might fix this? I'd like to be able to add/remove songs to my iPod again.

Have you tried restarting your computer or something like that? There's an iTunes Helper process that sounds like it's not working.

Fangs404 posted:

I use foobar as my primary music player and have been using foo_dop to control the music on my iPhone. It's awesome, but it hasn't been updated for iOS 5 yet. In the meantime, iOS 5 wiped out my music library, so looks like I'll need to use iTunes to refresh it. I added all my music to iTunes just fine, but it's not picking up on the album art. I have folder.(jpg|png|etc) in every single album directory. Is there a way to get iTunes to recognize the album art?

That's not how iTunes detects artwork. Either you setup an iTunes Store account and let it fetch the artwork from the iTunes Store, or you select the album, then select the artwork jpg or whatever and it'll add it to iTunes. Otherwise you're going to need a script.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IUG posted:

That's not how iTunes detects artwork. Either you setup an iTunes Store account and let it fetch the artwork from the iTunes Store, or you select the album, then select the artwork jpg or whatever and it'll add it to iTunes. Otherwise you're going to need a script.

Do you or anyone else know of a script that can do this? I have album art for my entire library, but iTunes was only able to find album art for about 65% of my collection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Do you or anyone else know of a script that can do this? I have album art for my entire library, but iTunes was only able to find album art for about 65% of my collection.

It'd search Doug's Scripts if you're a Mac user. Otherwise, I don't know.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IUG posted:

It'd search Doug's Scripts if you're a Mac user. Otherwise, I don't know.

Nah, I'm a PC user. No worries, maybe Google will turn up something. Thanks!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I just use Mp3tag to embed album art directly into the mp3s. I guess it's not as efficient storage-wise because you've got a separate copy for each song, but it keeps me from ever having to worry about any of this stuff.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Riso posted:

Dump new stuff into My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Automatically Add to iTunes

I've never used this feature, but I'm assuming that iTunes is smart enough to move files out of this folder and not just copy them?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Fangs404 posted:

Nah, I'm a PC user. No worries, maybe Google will turn up something. Thanks!

I use this program to deal with album art:

http://www.ipodsoft.com/site/pmwiki.php?n=IArt.HomePage

Mainly because iTunes is absolutely awful at downloading the correct album art. I can't tell you how many times it decided to download Greatest Hits album covers for normal albums. WTF?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

So I just inherited an old Mac Pro from a friend and for shits I'm going to organize the music library.

The problem is that the library contains 100s or 1000s of duplicates since the library is about 10 years old and has been merged with copies of itself through laziness and negligence moving from one machine to the next and from backups after hosing the OS.

Anyway, I -DO NOT- want to manually go into itunes and pick the newer/older version of a track for what could be 100s of tracks. I'm not familiar with this library so I'd rather have a robot do it. I don't really care if there is irreversible data loss. This is more of a curiosity to see how hosed a neglected library gets after 10 years. I'm going to keep a backup of it anyway.

So, are there any decent duplicate removing tools out there that are somewhat intelligent and can use id3 tags and also deal with misspellings?

I basically want it to prune everything by keeping the biggest/oldest files and also updating ratings and playlists if thats even possible. I would also want a report of how many files are flagged for removal before it does anything.

Ok, ran Tune Up trial and found ~350 duplicates out of 6800 tracks. Statistically, is that good or bad for a 10 year old library?

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok, ran Tune Up trial and found ~350 duplicates out of 6800 tracks. Statistically, is that good or bad for a 10 year old library?
Depends how much effort went into keeping a proper library. Mine is as old as iTunes, has 10,000 songs, and only had maybe a dozen duplicates when I last checked (mostly where the same song appeared on two different albums). But I'm very particular about keeping all my music in place and properly tagged.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SupahCoolX posted:

Depends how much effort went into keeping a proper library.

Zero to minimal.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just speaking personally, I maintain a fairly anal-retentive music library with my own folders and tags, and if you do this from the start, it's not that tough to keep going. Starting from a 50GB+ library, it's a bit of work, but iTunes is anything but transparent about how it works and is likely to change things without telling you, and it's well known for destroying entire directories of stuff with no recovery options.

It's worth the minimum effort to keep iTunes' meathooks out of your music, if you have the personality type for it. For everyone else, it's still OK to criticize iTunes for having a free pass when it comes to... well... just about everything. They don't even publish changelogs, and no one calls them on it.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

trilljester posted:

I've never used this feature, but I'm assuming that iTunes is smart enough to move files out of this folder and not just copy them?

It does for me, but I have automagic organize on. If it can't understand the file, it'll put it in a Not Added subdirectory.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3832

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just to clarify thats not my music library I'm talking about. Its a friends library I decided to poke around with out of curiosity and generosity after recovering his data from a non critical drive failure and/or user dumbness about Mac 'anti-virus' scams.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm having trouble updating my iPhone4. I have a separate hard drive that only has Windows on it (32gb) which is where the firmware file is downloading to. The issue is that I evidently need 3.03gb to backup/update my phone, but there's only 2.7gb free on that drive, and I've already cleared out as much as I can. I tried placing the file in one of my other drives which gives me enough free space, but when I do shift-Update to manually choose the firmware to use in the update, it tries to unpacks the file then gives me an error of 3002. iTunes help says

quote:

Errors 3000-3999 (3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3018, 3164, 3194, and so on): Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the update server (gs.apple.com) on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, an old version of iTunes is installed, an entry in your hosts file redirecting requests to gs.apple.com (see error 1004 above), or because of your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues. Error 3014 may indicate that you need to free up more disk space on the computer before trying to restore again. Error 3194 most likely indicates you do not have the latest version of iTunes installed Update to the latest version of iTunes.

I'm running the most current version of iTunes, my firewall is disabled while I'm trying this, and I've tried the other suggested fixes. It's particularly annoying because I have a separate partition for programs which has plenty of room and is where iTunes is actually installed, but it automatically downloads the firmware to my C drive. Anyone have an idea what I can try from here? Or how I can manually choose where iTunes downloads the firmware to?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

doctorfrog posted:

Just speaking personally, I maintain a fairly anal-retentive music library with my own folders and tags, and if you do this from the start, it's not that tough to keep going. Starting from a 50GB+ library, it's a bit of work, but iTunes is anything but transparent about how it works and is likely to change things without telling you, and it's well known for destroying entire directories of stuff with no recovery options.

It's worth the minimum effort to keep iTunes' meathooks out of your music, if you have the personality type for it. For everyone else, it's still OK to criticize iTunes for having a free pass when it comes to... well... just about everything. They don't even publish changelogs, and no one calls them on it.

You answered how I maintain my music better than I did. It really isn't that hard to manage stuff on your own and if you mess something up, you at least know what you did.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Looks like iTunes 10.5 (141) & iOS 5 have an issue with Audible audiobooks. If iTunes needs to sync an audiobook down to an iOS 5 device, it'll hang at the "determining tracks to sync" status until the device gives up on the sync, and no sync of any tracks occurs.

Still works fine talking to my iPod Classic.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

fordan posted:

Looks like iTunes 10.5 (141) & iOS 5 have an issue with Audible audiobooks. If iTunes needs to sync an audiobook down to an iOS 5 device, it'll hang at the "determining tracks to sync" status until the device gives up on the sync, and no sync of any tracks occurs.

Still works fine talking to my iPod Classic.

My Iphone4 is not having this problem with my ASoIaF audio books.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ridonkulous posted:

My Iphone4 is not having this problem with my ASoIaF audio books.

Have you added an audiobook since upgrading? The ones I'd already loaded on to my iPhone 4 prior to upgrading were fine, it was when I bought the new Terry Pratchett and added it to the playlist controlling audiobook syncing that it started hosing up iTunes for me. And once I'd deleted the current ones on my iPhone & iPad, I couldn't load them back on, so it's not the specific book.

Mac or PC? (I'm on a Mac)

There are others on the Apple support forum reporting similar issues. https://discussions.apple.com/message/16383391#16383391 & https://discussions.apple.com/message/16350773#16350773 for example.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How the hell does itunes know it needs an update while Windows is running. I have literally nothing in my startup tab of msconfig that is enabled that looks apple related.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TLG James posted:

How the hell does itunes know it needs an update while Windows is running. I have literally nothing in my startup tab of msconfig that is enabled that looks apple related.
It's a service.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's also redundant. iTunes itself checks for updates without Apple Software Updater installed.

e: Although it's useful if you don't want to bother installing the updates yourself. But I usually like to wait a while before updating iTunes to avoid any issues that crop up, though they have been pretty good about avoiding disaster for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a service.

And like most services the app doesn't have to actually be open to do what you want it to do, like remote control or library sharing, or...... Oh wait.