Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

One of mine is "become more fluent in high-level functions of software I use every day," I thought that sounded pretty good.

Isn't "fluent" binary? Either you are, or you aren't. Just like "perfect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Isn't "fluent" binary? Either you are, or you aren't. Just like "perfect".
Maybe software has a scale similar to this one for language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILR_scale

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Generally most IT folks accept three levels of fluency, give or take. Use it for basic tasks, use it for complex tasks, make it your bitch. Roughly.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Color me educated. Thanks. :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Unless you list it on your resume, then it means something else with regards to languages or applications:
Basic: I read an article about this once
Advanced: I can use this rather well by now
Expert: I master this and can use it with my eyes closed and frankly are bored with it and would like to explore new grounds.

A reason for this is that a lot of IT folk I know have a rather short attention span of a year or two maybe three for any language or tool or whatever. If you do not list it on your resume tho, you will never get invited for job interviews that have these listed as requirements. But then again, most IT folk I know like learning and exploring and will list things if they are happy to dive into the inner workings.

Did that made any sense?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't think I ever checked back in to update in this thread, but I am now out of my former job and a new company has picked me up for (depending on the bonus payout) a 24-31% raise over my former position, in an area about 2/3 the cost of living. In addition to reaping an amazing severance package from my former employer (in the range of $27,000 lump payment plus eligibility for unemployment and continuation of my benefits at my usual rate for 12mo), the new place is giving me a full relocation package plus a signing bonus on top of that. :) My first celebratory action after starting is going to be writing a check to pay my wife's student loans in full.

Hell loving yes. Suck it, former company. :) I'm still going to be in corporate, but maybe this one will involve a bit less backstabbing.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Sundae posted:

Hell loving yes. Suck it, former company. :) I'm still going to be in corporate, but maybe this one will involve a bit less backstabbing.

High five! The past two pages have about three or four people who left their cuntfire jobs and are on to something new. :)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
To add to that, I've been at my new research position for two weeks now and I LOVE my job. I've never had this much fun at any prior job. I'm excited to go into work in the mornings.
It's very busy and that's a great thing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

We have a system that e-mails a distribution list whenever it runs into a problem. It runs into a problem quite frequently. My e-mail address is the from address for this system.

Two months ago my boss was put on the distribution list and so she set up an Outlook rule to deal with it. Today she just figured out that there were hundreds of other e-mails from me that also got shoved into the same folder. And she hadn't wondered why the volume of mail from me had declined.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

The big boss and her posse of managers rolled out a new process for us today that they had been brainstorming about for days, possibly weeks, and tried to explain it to us in 10 minutes. When they asked if we had any questions (we were still trying to make sense of the drat thing), they passive-aggressively snickered about how quiet we were.

:psyduck:

My buddy's back, so instead of working and feeling like a superhero it's back to feeling tired and doing all the petty crap that still needs to get done...like implementing a new process!

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

The big boss and her posse of managers rolled out a new process for us today that they had been brainstorming about for days, possibly weeks, and tried to explain it to us in 10 minutes. When they asked if we had any questions (we were still trying to make sense of the drat thing), they passive-aggressively snickered about how quiet we were.

I don't understand why you're having an issue, you did attend the training session, I have your signed acknowledgement of attendance here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Things suddenly took a turn for the worse here - foosball just got banned during business hours. I thought about posting this in First World Problems, but this is a serious outrage! Joke's on them though, they define business hours as 8-17, while I usually stroll in at least an hour later.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

My boss emailed me asking for a bullet point list of my 2011 accomplishments. I'm having trouble coming up with anything beyond "Gave you hundreds of ideas that are 100% guaranteed to improve business, yet you refuse to implement".

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

We got an email today, saying that a competing company's lawyers believe "some of our employees have or may intend to violate their contractual obligations to their former employer", and that we should "be careful not to inadvertently delete any files or information you currently have in your possession or on your computers that may in any way pertain to our products or market development efforts".

This will be fun.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Ghostnuke posted:

My boss emailed me asking for a bullet point list of my 2011 accomplishments. I'm having trouble coming up with anything beyond "Gave you hundreds of ideas that are 100% guaranteed to improve business, yet you refuse to implement".

So ignore the fact that he did nothing with them. For the ones which weren't taken up but you think would still genuinely be relevant and effective, go with something like:

"Identified and brought to the attention of management <whatever you suggested> which has the potential to save the business <x> / improve efficiency <y>% / bring in additional business through <z>."

Corporate. It's all about playing the game by spinning your words.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Friday is my favorite work day of the week because aside from the fact that it's Friday, jeans and a tee shirt are so much more goddamned comfortable than slacks and a casual button down.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

psydude posted:

Friday is my favorite work day of the week because aside from the fact that it's Friday, jeans and a tee shirt are so much more goddamned comfortable than slacks and a casual button down.

So much more. It's like it's not even the same job.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's one thing I love at my office. I usually wear a polo and jeans.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pope Mobile posted:

That's one thing I love at my office. I usually wear a polo and jeans.

I'm currently wearing parachute pants with a t-shirt and enjoying my job quite a bit.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
I get to wear jeans and sneakers, but I still need to wear a nice top :(

Dressing up pisses me off. My department is located in some tiny hallway that no one sits in but us, in a forgotten part of the building that uses a staircase that always gets me the reaction "I didn't even know there WERE stairs there!" when I tell people where I sit. Yet because the stairs we come down are close to where the executives sit, I have to dress all nice and pretty every day like we're not shoved in the corner, because there's a chance that the president of the company might look up from his desk at the exact second that I cross his line of site and see me looking schlubby and get irate.

:argh: I don't go to meetings, I don't talk to anyone face to face, lemme be comfy god dammit!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here only the managers are required to wear button down shirts and slacks. It's funny, when you're hired on they want you to dress nicely for an org picture so I wore a suit. I can't tell you how hilarious it is to have techs hiding from you because they think you're a second level manager. I use that pic for the office communicator as well, so it gets some great results.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
I was walking down the hall at the new job today and a lady stops to ask if I was new. I said yes, and she asked how I liked the new job. I said I loved it. She says, "I can tell. Every time I've seen you this week, you've been smiling."

Lost ten pounds, too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I got volunteered to work on bid and proposal for this huge loving thing...originally I was just supposed to clean up some writing by a SME, but it turns out there's nothing written yet. The scope of my involvement keeps expanding, and now it looks like I may have to work through the weekend.

I'm on a con call right now that goes til question mark.

Maybe I'll get lucky and an asteroid will strike my building and kill me...

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Oh, I'm thrilled that I just printed a bunch of patient information on pink paper because someone doing a crafts project (because why the gently caress else would you need pink paper in a professional office environment) couldn't be arsed to take it out afterwards.

If I find out who this person is, so help me...

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Oh, I'm thrilled that I just printed a bunch of patient information on pink paper because someone doing a crafts project (because why the gently caress else would you need pink paper in a professional office environment) couldn't be arsed to take it out afterwards.

If I find out who this person is, so help me...

You mean whoever was doing it didnt track you down and chew you out for using her paper?!

Also: Pink paper could be used to colour code a specific document type! Every new patient that comes through our offices does up a new patient sheet on salmon coloured paper.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had an interview a few days ago for a new position (in the same company I work now) that is a 2 year assignment. This position has a 30% increase in pay for cost of living adjustment. I ran the numbers and found out that between moving to a state with higher income taxes and having to rent a place (I own a house where I'm at now). It would be a net negative of around $250-$300 a paycheck.

I brought this issue up with the interviewing manager and his response was basically "Well, it's a good chance for experience, I'm sure that you'll make money later because of how much you learn. I think it would be overall net positive for you so you should take it because we need someone asap."

wtf

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Plinkey posted:

I had an interview a few days ago for a new position (in the same company I work now) that is a 2 year assignment. This position has a 30% increase in pay for cost of living adjustment. I ran the numbers and found out that between moving to a state with higher income taxes and having to rent a place (I own a house where I'm at now). It would be a net negative of around $250-$300 a paycheck.

I brought this issue up with the interviewing manager and his response was basically "Well, it's a good chance for experience, I'm sure that you'll make money later because of how much you learn. I think it would be overall net positive for you so you should take it because we need someone asap."

wtf

any updates? I would try to play hardball and ask for x increase or no thanks.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

OatmealRocks posted:

Agreed. Though, how secure is your current gig? His desperation can manifest itself in "I'll talk to corporate about it, gimme a day or two" or "Hit the streets, you ungrateful bastard."

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Plinkey posted:

wtf

It is the same company, that is what is making this difficult. Is the new position and the experience that comes with it worth the (300x12x2=)7200 dollar loss? Or was she just bullshitting you into accepting?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OatmealRocks posted:

Nah, nothing yet. Talking to some more people (above the hiring manager) this week.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Agreed. Though, how secure is your current gig? His desperation can manifest itself in "I'll talk to corporate about it, gimme a day or two" or "Hit the streets, you ungrateful bastard."

Pretty secure, my name was brought up for this by a few managers because it's high profile and I've got most of the skillset that they need. I'm pretty sure they are desperate because they have been trying to fill this for a few months. You'd think that would clue them into something.

Keetron posted:

It is the same company, that is what is making this difficult. Is the new position and the experience that comes with it worth the (300x12x2=)7200 dollar loss? Or was she just bullshitting you into accepting?

Not really but it's possible, but losing ~10k over 2 years isn't sustainable. I think I was being bullshitted. Basically when they job came into creation 4-5 years ago they had a new hire take over (so $ cheap). So now they want to rotate someone else in because he's 4.5 years into a '2 year' assignment. Basically they want 5+ years of experience (what this guys now has) with a bunch of other skills, have the person move for two years on short notice and don't want to pay for it.

Also this is gov contracting, so they aren't hurting for money.

e: I should also mention that because of the work we do many of the manager that have been around for a while are ex-military as are many of the older engineers. So up until a few years ago assignments like this were treated a lot differently. It was mostly 'We need you to go do this for X years, do what you have to do to get yourself ready and NO isn't an acceptable answer'. It's changed a bit since I've been hired but some of the managers still have this 'Do what's best for the company and disregard your personal life' mentality.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Is the state/city you'd be moving to better in any way? I mean are you at all interested in living there or are you at least sick of the place you currently live? I'm the "live where I was born until I die" type but some people I know would take a pay cut just for the variety.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

Is the state/city you'd be moving to better in any way? I mean are you at all interested in living there or are you at least sick of the place you currently live? I'm the "live where I was born until I die" type but some people I know would take a pay cut just for the variety.

It's really not too bad of a place. I've spent plenty of time there already. A bit more suburban sprawl than I would like but it is only about an hour from LA and the weather is nice 90% of the time.

I had the second phone interview today with 2 program managers, the program director and the manager I had talked to before.

I thought I really hosed things up because after I went through my whole education, what I've done at the company in the last 5+ years, projects, awards...etc. They only had one question then silence which is odd for a group like this. So my thought was 'Well poo poo, they aren't impressed'.

Turns out I apparently really impressed them and managed to cover their questions while I was basically just rambling about what I had done. "You pretty much stunned them" was the response from the manager.

So maybe I'll be able to wheel and deal if they want me bad enough.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Also people, if you have a problem with your counterparts in other areas or internal customers (or really, any kind of problem), quit whining about it to me! I can't do anything about it because not only I'm not your manager, I'm in another team/department! The best I can do is suggest to talk to you managers about it, which you ignore with various excuses. Too bad if it sounds like I'm being dismissive - it's just that this is the only way your problem can be addressed.

Guess what, you haven't explained your issue to the manager, and now that it's evaluation time, he only has their side of the story so far! You're lucky they're reasonable enough to delay your evaluation to investigate this.

PS. By the way, no matter what your evaluation is, throwing your team lead's stuff off the table and slamming the door behind you is not an appropriate response and exit strategy.

Solkanar512 posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

Lady, if you bring your lovely kid to the office, how about at least making sure it doesn't scream its loving head off while I'm on the phone? I'm quite certain it sounds rather unprofessional on the other end, to say the least.
How in the gently caress is this even tolerated? I'm so glad I work in a manufacturing environment.

Sorry dude, I didn't return to the thread in a while and missed your reply the last time. To a certain extent I think it's because people try to be understanding/tolerant, but doing anything about it is a bit tricky as well, unless you want to spend time tracking down the child's parent, and then the parent's manager. And then if it turns out to be from another department, most likely nothing would be done about it anyway.

I'd definitely try to put a stop to this crap myself had I not been talking just to my boss at the time. There are however account receivable people in our open space who sometimes talk directly to the customers, so I have no idea why they seem not to care.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A new guy asked me and my cube mate who loaded a certain data set. We had no idea and directed him to the person in charge of that type of thing, who then turned him to my team member who loaded it. It sounded like he wants to know more about how it's done, what the whole thing entails and certain details. Not sure why he wants to know right now, but, from what I understand, he's going to be doing that eventually.
Crabby old lady just asked me why he is asking one of my people "things he shouldn't be asking about." She is supposed to be in charge of this guy's first area of training, but she shirked her responsibility onto a member from my team. She then went and complained that my team member was doing stuff they weren't supposed to by training this new guy. :psyduck:
I'm not even going to get into how she thinks he's an idiot and treats him like one because she can't understand his thick, Asian accent.
We're all just waiting for her to (supposedly) retire next year.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

^:rolleyes:

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Lady, instead of making personal calls all day, how about giving me the time-sensitive information I need so that I don't get chewed out again?

set the building on fire

Going through this routine again. She's blowing me off so she can do God-knows-what. So every time I hear her doing something she's not supposed to, I send another email. The count is at two...

u: And two's a winner. That's more aggravating than if I had had to string her along, because at least there may have been an actual explanation. To get me the info I've been asking for for a DAY AND A HALF within two minutes because you couldn't be arsed until you were pestered? That's hosed.

Also, an email forward came in...from the boss of the whole office. I am so done.

Christe Eleison fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2012

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Hmmmm, trying to think of a polite way to refuse to contribute to a former colleague's goodbye present on the grounds that they toyed with my life and career as part of a demented power-grab and I'm not even in the least bit sorry that they left. Advice?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Adrianics posted:

Hmmmm, trying to think of a polite way to refuse to contribute to a former colleague's goodbye present on the grounds that they toyed with my life and career as part of a demented power-grab and I'm not even in the least bit sorry that they left. Advice?

Do you have to refuse in person? Is someone going to come to you asking for a contribution? That sucks if that's the case. I think the only way to do refuse politely is to be calm, but assertive, and shut down any questioning.

:downs: Hey, do you want to put in some money in for Bob?
:eng101: No, I'm not going to. Thanks, though.
:downs: What? Why not.
:eng101: Just a personal thing between me and Bob. I'd rather not go into it.

Something along those lines. Hopefully some of your colleagues are aware of what went down with you and Bob and it's just left alone.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or you could go with the more passively aggressive "I'd love to, but with all the troubles I've had lately I just don't have anything to spare. :geno:" Though this one is a lot less polite.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

modeski posted:

Well, an e-mail has been sent to everyone and I've just said to my line manager (who knows the ins-and-outs of the situation) "I'm not contributing to that", and their response was "I don't blame you". It's weird, though, this person was universally despised while they were still here but revered as a saint the second they left.

I'm just going to let it lie and keep guarded if asked in person, it's going to be tough though because I work with some pretty drat aggressive people who will almost definitely hold this against me forever. Got to keep my honour and principles intact though, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adrianics posted:

Do they do it by just passing around an envelope or something? When that happens where I work I just hang onto it for 5-10 minutes then pass it off to the next person without putting any money in.