Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Question: How often do you strictly stay with crop ratios? Do you ever free form it based on the event/action?

I've always free-formed it. If it needs to be a certain shape for print that's one thing, but otherwise be generous with the crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The more I think about it, the more I like this as advice for basically any sports shooting, whether it's using longer lenses or cropping in tight

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thanks. Ill apply this for the next shoot. I always used presets because I figured thats what was needed.

Whats common for publications and such?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Thanks. Ill apply this for the next shoot. I always used presets because I figured thats what was needed.

Whats common for publications and such?

Hard to say these days since paper publications are dying fast. It probably varies from place to place.

if you're that concerned about it, keep the uncropped originals separate from the crops you put up online.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I crop 16:9 because I shoot for online-only and we optimize for screens/mobile. However, in my newspaper days I'd crop to whatever looked good, ratios be dammed (and the editors would then sometimes crop to fit on print again), my USA Today photographer friend does the same thing now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Hard to say these days since paper publications are dying fast. It probably varies from place to place.

if you're that concerned about it, keep the uncropped originals separate from the crops you put up online.

Nah not overly concerned. Just didn't know. I had one guy tell me to stick to preset ratios whom I asked a few questions to. I also want to make sure that when I do start looking for work, and sending out material to sell, that it's in a format they'd use. I don't quite have the set up to keep uncropped originals, but I do think that poo poo will be important later. Especially if I do end up making my own media business and do things like portraits or events.

Frinkahedron posted:

I crop 16:9 because I shoot for online-only and we optimize for screens/mobile. However, in my newspaper days I'd crop to whatever looked good, ratios be dammed (and the editors would then sometimes crop to fit on print again), my USA Today photographer friend does the same thing now.

That is good to know. I never knew what my editor-in-chief wanted ratio wise for the paper. 16:9 are great, though I find they are my most difficult photos to edit.

I feel like an idiot now, because I've wasted so many good goddamn photos because they didn't fit a 4x6, 4x5, or 16x9 crop.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I will say I use Lightroom, so I always have access to the uncropped originals too. I also sometimes will crop 1x1 for Instagram, but usually I also get a 16:9 on the same image.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I did some more shooting, more freeform editing.

https://imgur.com/a/2SQhv1d

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Much better crops, keeping it tight helps draw the eye away to things like other players, the empty seats, etc.

So I'm on vacation in florida and didn't think I'd be doing any sports stuff out here but thank god the 300mm came along because hey! surfers!

Lighting was not at all helpful, kinda behind them, but this was fun to stumble upon

BRW21041 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20775 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20938 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW21135 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I may play with that last one a bit, I did get some neat kinda silhouette shots with the sun behind them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had opportunity to shoot surfers for the first time when I was in Oregon last year.. I went in thinking it'd be like any other sport just with a longer focal length, but it wasn't. :v:

It was pretty overcast for me and it really hurt the shots, looked like everyone was surfing in sludge. I think clear skies at high noon would be a nice look to try. Sunrise/sunset too if you can get them front lit.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Much better crops, keeping it tight helps draw the eye away to things like other players, the empty seats, etc.

Thanks so much! I'm glad it's better. Hopefully I can stay consistent

Experimented a bunch this game. Think it turned out ok.

album:https://imgur.com/a/ijPLmnh

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Took some photos tonight. Still experimenting with in camera double exposure. Different blend modes do different things. It's wild

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY AT HALF TIME THERE WAS loving A DOGGO DOING loving TRICKS!

WAIT! TWO DOGGOS!?

THREE!? OH MY GOD

And dancing and stuff. I dunno I just kinda blacked out after the third dog. Heart couldn't handle it.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/5urWWaD

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Soulex posted:

And dancing and stuff. I dunno I just kinda blacked out after the third dog. Heart couldn't handle it.

I'm greatly amused by the fact that they have their own custom sneakers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

No dogs this time. First loss at home, also saw a dude take an accidental elbow to the face.

album:https://imgur.com/a/LzKc8d7

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Got to shoot a proper nailbiter yesterday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The handball shots are largely good moments but you either need some more reach or to crop the hell out of a few of those, especially the last one. First one has a super distracting background as well. What are you shooting with?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

The handball shots are largely good moments but you either need some more reach or to crop the hell out of a few of those, especially the last one. First one has a super distracting background as well. What are you shooting with?

I used a mix of an 80D and a 5Dmk2 with a 50mm and a 70-200mm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grimson posted:

I used a mix of an 80D and a 5Dmk2 with a 50mm and a 70-200mm.

Open up your aperture as best you can. Almost everything in that first picture is in focus and it's hard to draw attention to the subject. All the banner advertisements and such obviously don't help, so you've got to do what you can to separate the subjects.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

Open up your aperture as best you can. Almost everything in that first picture is in focus and it's hard to draw attention to the subject. All the banner advertisements and such obviously don't help, so you've got to do what you can to separate the subjects.

I pretty much only shoot with f1.8 and f2.8 already. I don't really know how that much got thrown into focus in that pic.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Good News! I shot my first professional game! As in for another company for the sole purpose of media gathering. Not getting paid but baby steps.
Bad News! I was sick as hell and it was a miserable physical existence. I had fun though!
Bad News! Arena soccer is very difficult to shoot.
Good News! I think I did ok!

TFW you score a goal

album:https://imgur.com/a/HTclHuI

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grimson posted:

I pretty much only shoot with f1.8 and f2.8 already. I don't really know how that much got thrown into focus in that pic.

This might be because of what you got in focus (the advertising boards) instead of the people in front of them. DoF seems more manageable when it's towards the camera as opposed to away from it.

I spend a lot of time cropping to make sure that I take out what I don't need in the photo, and highlight what I want to show. I ask myself "What am I trying to show here?" and if it doesn't show that, I discard it. Unless it has some other redeeming property.

I don't recall where I heard it but it stuck with me because it's true. As a painter, you are trying to cram in everything to get the most meaning. As a photographer, you try to take everything out so you can get the most out of the meaning.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Soulex posted:

I spend a lot of time cropping to make sure that I take out what I don't need in the photo, and highlight what I want to show. I ask myself "What am I trying to show here?" and if it doesn't show that, I discard it. Unless it has some other redeeming property.

I don't recall where I heard it but it stuck with me because it's true. As a painter, you are trying to cram in everything to get the most meaning. As a photographer, you try to take everything out so you can get the most out of the meaning.

Not sports related, but, that's a really great mindset. I'd never really thought about composition like that, and I think sometimes I include too much random stuff solely for the sake of showing surroundings. I've generally been afraid of cropping things, too, because megapixels or something?

I think I'll try to practice that mindset a little more from now on, thank you! :unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

Not sports related, but, that's a really great mindset. I'd never really thought about composition like that, and I think sometimes I include too much random stuff solely for the sake of showing surroundings. I've generally been afraid of cropping things, too, because megapixels or something?

I think I'll try to practice that mindset a little more from now on, thank you! :unsmith:

Any camera made in the last 8-10 years can take photos that will allow for super generous crops. Don't worry about it.

12 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

This was with an Olympus E-5 DSLR, a camera released in late 2010, and I cropped the absolute hell out of it. You can't see the kid's eyes and it's not THAT great a shot, but it's plenty clear and you know what's going on.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

This makes an abundant amount of sense. My thinking with the last photo was that well, of course you need the opposing player in it to get the picture of what just happened. But looking back at it, you really don't.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Simple is better with most sports photos, at least as the action goes. 1 to 3 players at most (unless it's a mess like a football/rugby tackle), and as clean a background as you can manage.

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90013 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20154 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000008 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Im really glad y'all found my post helpful!

This thread has completly transformed me as a photographer. There are bits of stuff like that all throughout here. From everyone. This is the only place to get reliable feedback.

Edit:oh yeah. Client loved photos and asked to cover again this week. Question!

How the gently caress do you comfortably use the camera hole in the sides of the arena?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For that little kid hockey photo I was actually on the bench. The coach was a family friend and this was tiny kid hockey so it didn't really matter.

For the portals though you're going to be kneeling or squatting an absolute ton. A pair of contractors gel knee pads from any hardware store can be a godsend.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Definitely gonna be looking into knee pads. I have chronic lower leg pain and it was just not a good combo tonight.
Fun game though. We won 12-4.

album:https://imgur.com/a/Zs52e8z

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
I did some more kayaking and took some photos. Less peoplely than other sport photos.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

freddiestarfish posted:

I did some more kayaking and took some photos. Less peoplely than other sport photos.

These are so good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

freddiestarfish posted:

I did some more kayaking and took some photos. Less peoplely than other sport photos

These are fabulous. Real talk.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have never, ever heard the arena so loud as it was tonight. I'm ex-Army, so I give Marines petty poo poo by default, but these guys were awesome. They were pretty silent up through halftime when a kid around 5 or 6 started to mess around on the open court and shoot baskets. Every time he scored, the Marine Detachment went nuts. When our team came back out on the court, the crowd was thunderous. I was right next to the bench and our team was giddy and excited and happy about the noise. They loved the support. We also had a dude dunk 5 loving times, and one went for a Be Like Mike dunk. There were something like 7 or 8 dunks in the game. Like watching NBA Jam.

Great experience

album:https://imgur.com/a/zRZ01wE

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I went through some of my photos from last year:

Vålerenga Fotball - Kristiansund BK (0-2), 21.10.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Kristiansund BK (0-2), 21.10.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love rain photos so fuckin' much

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Rain rules.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
It doesn't matter if the result or the match suck when it rains. I always manage to get a few decent shots out of it.

Yesterday I did something I've never done before: Shot bandy. It's bandy world cup next week so the german national team had a few friendlies in Norway before heading to Sweden. One of the friendlies was against Skeid and since a friend of mine plays there he wanted me to shoot the match for them. And so I did.

Skeid - Germany 25.01.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

The light was lovely and I used some time to get used the speed of play. A fun experience though!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

That looks fun as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress YEAH BANDY

I'm so disappointed this hasn't really caught on over on this side of the pond. It looks like so much fun

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I don't shoot a lot of sports. However last summer I drove by my local Community College and there was an autocross race going on in the parking lot. Apparently the regional Corvette clubs all pick a spot in the middle of their areas and set up a course. I was able to get some neat panning shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Bandy was alot of fun! A bit hard, but fun.

Some pictures from November:
Vålerenga Fotball - Ranheim IL 24.11.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr