Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cailleask posted:

Dude. Doggpickle. You are seriously unhinged. Why in the world would you come back a week later apropos of nothing to rant at us about being mean, again? While also making excuses for your weird behavior? Come on. Like a group of 'hive mind lesbians' had a better time on election night?

And there wasn't even a new episode last night to distract us. Thanks for giving us some terrible entertainment to throw popcorn at since we didn't get our usual, I guess?

So... bets on how many more episodes we get to have an Evil Queen and an ineffective Regina making faces at each other?

Maybe they'll make out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Here's hoping. If she won't make out with Emma she better make out with herself, imo. Obviously they need to kiss to become one person again....

cailleask
May 6, 2007

They're wasting precious 'Evil Queen Hits on Everything Moving' time here. I'm most disappointed this season with the Gold make outs. Come on, there are surely better options and they can still use their nohomo reset button when they combine them back.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Pan Dulce posted:

They mentioned sometime this summer that the season was going to be more like season one's format, with the main storyline going through fall and spring, as opposed to just staying for one half. So maybe we keep the Evil Queen 'til April? It's anybody's guess. I liked having the main problem end every winter because it left something new to look forward to or erase the hell of the previous half of the season (Camelot).

I really liked the Half-Season revamps too. Kept things fresh. How does everyone rate the seasons/half seasons?

Season 1 - General Curse Crap
Season 2 - Cora/Return to Enchanted Forest/Tamara & Greg (Woah, what a mess)
Season 3a - Neverland
Season 3b - Wicked
Season 4a - Frozen
Season 4b - Queens of Darkness
Season 5a - Camelot/Dark Swan
Season 5b - Underworld
Season 6 - Untold Stories

My favourites have to be the Queens of Darkness, Frozen & Wicked.
The Camelot/Neverland and muddle of Season 2 are all awful.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I liked Wicked and Queens of Darkness a lot (well, you know, 'a lot' being relative). Neverland was good because it was such an improvement over how bad S2 dragged and muddled. S2 sort of had a 2b that was good, though.

Frozen felt really ham-fisted to me with the whole omg Frozen cash grab. Camelot was the bad kind of ridiculous, and Underworld was just dumb. I came within a hair of stopping watching altogether in S5.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neverland and Wicked Witch are probably my favorites, honestly. Season 1 falls in between the two of them.

The worst is probably the Frozen one.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

cailleask posted:

Camelot was the bad kind of ridiculous, and Underworld was just dumb. I came within a hair of stopping watching altogether in S5.

I agree. Even at its worst, the show is goddamn pretty on mute and both these seasons were a pain in the rear end to look at. The costume department could give less of a poo poo with Camelot and reused dresses, used tablecloths for others, and just studded up the hell out of leather and armor and called it a day. And nothing changed in Underworld either. The acting and writing were worse than usual. They concentrated on storylines I could care less about, like the Wicked Witch getting love or Robin dealing with poo poo.

I didn't mind Frozen as much. The casting was spot on and I liked the flashbacks and the main antagonist (whispery-voiced Ingrid). Queens of Darkness had Cruella and Maleficent, which were just a pleasure to see interacting with Regina. Rumple seemed to be having fun being a dick again.

So if I had to rank, I'd say: 3a, 1, 4b, 4a, 3b, 2, 5b, 5a.

Jury's out on Untold Stories until it ends. So far, no matter how much I grouse and groan, it's entertaining.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked Frozen because both actresses were so drat attractive to look at. I please easily.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

GreenNight posted:

I liked Frozen because both actresses were so drat attractive to look at. I please easily.

same

and emma and elsa had such gay chemistry. let elsa be gay, disney!!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's hilarious jennifer morrison has chemistry with everyone except her actual love interest

I forgot how much totally platonic hetero touching there was in that arc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Elizabeth Mitchell was quite good in that arc.

The biggest plot dropped between seasons I can think of is how at the end of season four, Lily tells Emma she's going to hang around Storybrooke for a while to see if she can learn who her father is, then she's disappeared at the beginning of season five, which starts instantly after the end of four.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Troposphere posted:

it's hilarious jennifer morrison has chemistry with everyone except her actual love interest

Okay, I completely agree Morrison has chemistry with every one of her screen partners. But I disagree that she doesn't have chemistry with Hook. I can't think of them without thinking of the hot-as-gently caress Neverland first kiss, the Emma in a wench costume flirting with drunk Hook, the cute first date, or hell, even the makeout on the couch the beginning of this season.

I like CaptainSwan. :colbert:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

She had decent chemistry with Hook in like S2/3. Not the neutered Hook we've had more recently. He's just sort of bland and they feel blah together.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

cailleask posted:

She had decent chemistry with Hook in like S2/3. Not the neutered Hook we've had more recently. He's just sort of bland and they feel blah together.

whenever they kiss it's like watching two siblings make out

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree with the stance that the chemistry in the beginning was great, I used to really like Hook. He's okay now but boring-- which makes their relationship boring and makes Morrison's chemistry with everyone else stand out more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Hook is basically what you get when you combine Spike from Buffy with Captain Jack Sparrow, and those were both characters who were really fun when they first appeared but became less interesting over time as well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think he's like either of those characters, because both are entirely unrepentant about their behavior, even though Spike supposedly "repents" towards the end of Buffy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They do get boring/over stay their welcome though, so I can see the point made there.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I think most of the male characters are written superfluously. I was completely on board with them writing off Neal before and last season, Robin. I mean, it's a different take considering most shows have their female characters as accessories to the main, male character. But there's enough room for balance, but this show isn't one of those examples.

Also, Robin's coming back. For multiple episodes. As what and if it's permanent, I have no idea.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ugh. I was so so on board with freezering Robin, too. He was such a net negative that he sucked life OUT of every scene he was in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think he's like either of those characters, because both are entirely unrepentant about their behavior, even though Spike supposedly "repents" towards the end of Buffy.

Well, yes, that's true, but I was taking a much shallower look at it. He's introduced as a bad guy / sketchy guy who's antagonistic / a supporting character but then becomes less interesting and engaging as a character as we get to know more about him and his history.

Jack Sparrow, for instance, worked best in the first Pirates movie because Orlando Bloom was the main character in that and Jack worked really well as a comic foil to him, but then he became the breakout star of the franchise and he just didn't work as well as the main character in the next two (I know there was a fourth one that's supposed to have been the most expensive film of all time but I haven't seen it).

Surprised they haven't done anything Pirates-related on this show. Seems like it'd be an obvious one. If they were going to make reference to anything else I'd rather it was something more obscure, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, Hook is basically what you get when you combine Spike from Buffy with Captain Jack Sparrow, and those were both characters who were really fun when they first appeared but became less interesting over time as well.

I will cut you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I will cut you.

He was good again in Angel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well okay then. Because Astronauts vs Cavemen is a high point in television that few shows will ever approach.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Arguably, it was in comparison to how awful the show was getting. It needed new blood and better writing and only got one of those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season five of Angel is fantastic.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Alright, I'll amend my statement and say Season Four was the worst and even fresh writing couldn't save it. Charisma Carpenter has said numerous times it was awful and did a real disservice to her character.

On a Once note though, I was watching Season 1 commentary on an episode and Carlyle was talking to a writer and stating the show was one he could happily see himself doing as long as it lasted and it's the type of show that deserves 10 seasons, at least. Think he's changed that statement, considering the turn his character has had? I mean, he hates press junkets for Once and in some episodes, looks like he's pulling 30% from that acting talent.

I think, despite the dips in appeal (Camelot and Underworld sucked), this is the type of show with enough marketability to last awhile. Whether the entire cast stays or not is debatable. I thought for sure the Evil Queen curse on the split heart meant the show was taking a leap and killing off Charming or Snow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pan Dulce posted:

Alright, I'll amend my statement and say Season Four was the worst and even fresh writing couldn't save it. Charisma Carpenter has said numerous times it was awful and did a real disservice to her character.

Kind of interesting that one of the key criticisms the last few pages, Goodwin's pregnancies, was a major one focused on Carpenter. Whedon made a few lovely remarks that they had no choice to change Cordelia because of her pregnancy.

But yeah, other than Angelus returning season 4 of Angel can be a bit dire at times. But it's still better than season 6 of Buffy!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would have been interested if OUAT had been able to try more one-season spin-offs. I enjoyed Wonderland a lot and I think it told a fun story in its 13 episodes. I think they could've done other fun crossover stuff (i.e. different Disney villain transplanted into a different Disney movie).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I think it's the best season of Angel (despite two or three really bad episodes which are weirdly the worst in Buffy and Angel combined) and it actually has a really good ending.

Spike should have been written off Buffy in like early season 5, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

I think it's the best season of Angel (despite two or three really bad episodes which are weirdly the worst in Buffy and Angel combined) and it actually has a really good ending.

Spike should have been written off Buffy in like early season 5, though.

I think even Whedon agrees with that. But he says he finally got his dream on screen couple when he put Spike and Angel together.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That episode was kind of a huge wet fart IMO.

I think Aladdin becoming a Genie is good fodder for stuff, as far as this show goes, and Rumple's Mom being evil was something I was waiting for, so I'm glad they got to it, but...

The second thing was done terribly, first all because he said "Black Fairy, I summon thee!" and it wasn't just Blue, , second of all because I was really hoping that Gold would be the villain of this season, with Carlisle departing because of how they've been repeating his character for two seasons, but also because it fell victim the absolutely terribly costuming of this episode.

Rumple's Mom was basically Mrs. Rufio, Lana's hair was... weird, Rebecca Mader had the world's worst jacket, both Robbie Carlisle and Emilie de Ravin had the world's most hilarious wigs, in scenes with the world's most hilarious CG backdrops, the Blue Fairy's "sort of a stale wedding cake designed by a toddler" dress was back (but staler), and to top it all off, whoever was doing the makeup hosed with everyone's eyes. Seriously, go back and watch a few scenes and say "Why does everyone look tired?" and then find your answer when the Wicked Witch closes her eyes, and you can see the horrible dry skin scabbing form on Mader's eyelids. I swear that everyone is struggling so hard not to blink or tear up that all of their surprised or angry reactions are just "smell the fart acting."

Also, the Rumbelle stuff was kind of just them spinning their wheels, as was the Sister Drama between Regina and Zelena (which should have gotten resolved last season, tbh).

The costumes are one thing, but they should legit fire whoever was doing that makeup. It's actually starting to interfere with people trying to act.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Regina was seriously twisted in that first bit with her heart, but I feel you on the wet fart of a follow through. The 'I hate you and will never EVER forgive you' thing felt... false? Lazy? Off. Out of character with Regina, maybe.

Also lol at more family issues, because god forbid we go a season without having an evil family member.

At least we know how they all end up in wacky fairy tale land this time. Next episode looks interesting/off the rails.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also has anyone counted the number of times Regina has straight up tried to commit suicide? Because drat, I thought this was a family show.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah. I thought this was going to be a game-changing episode. So bummed that it wasn't. It was just Rumple and Belle doing the same old "Hate you/You can change" switch up. I appreciate the Blue Fairy being written off while the actress does The Magicians, I think. Also the possibility of another, better Henry, with Gideon and "Her Handsome Hero" in the mix. At least there's not another baby on the show. That's enough babies with Robin and Neal.

Besides the makeup and costuming which by golly was loving awful (did you see the Evil Queen in the Mad Max get-up?), I was disappointed in the climax for the flashback: we've been waiting for the Black Fairy all this time, the episode is called Changeling, so maybe that sort of weird, evil magic is at hand, and instead we got Rumple doing the old, "Why did you abandon me? Poor me," thing with the Black Fairy instead of Pan this time. Same with a chance at growth and a stop to Zelena's yammering about being loved by family with something I thought was resolved after Hades: Regina not forgiving and just pissing off her sister by telling her she'll never love or forgive her. UGH.

It's like we had all this expectation and lack of payoff in. EVERY. plotline.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I was reading somewhere else that they were speculating Regina can't forgive Zelena until she has her evil half back, because she's can't have proper empathy without all the pain she's experienced.

Dubious, but I'm going to hope this is what's going on instead of something dumb like Robin coming back so that there's nothing to forgive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cailleask posted:

I was reading somewhere else that they were speculating Regina can't forgive Zelena until she has her evil half back, because she's can't have proper empathy without all the pain she's experienced.

Dubious, but I'm going to hope this is what's going on instead of something dumb like Robin coming back so that there's nothing to forgive.

This actually emphasizes my problem with the whole Regina/Evil Queen split, because both are just forms of Regina without growth at absolute best, which essentially resets all storylines in which she interacts with characters (or is unbelievable - I do not, for a second, for example, think that she will ever have a hand up on Gold). It'll mean she goes back to sarcastic standoffishness with Emma instead of being bestest friends with her, it keeps her from reconciling with her sister (which stalls Zelena's "If only somebody would trust me, no matter the unfortunate circumstances behind my awkward redemption, I would learn" story), it stalls her developing motherhood with Henry, it makes old Regina's grudges against the Charmings overtake those reactions, etc., etc., etc.

It's like season 2 of heroes where they couldn't think of anything to do so they literally erased a character's memories so that they could just repeat his season 1 story.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

cailleask posted:

something dumb like Robin coming back so that there's nothing to forgive.

Well... if you saw the episode preview, it's another alternate universe. Robin is set to return next episode. And he's schedule for multiple episodes. This theory is most likely right, all those things considered.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the one hand, the way the writing was handled, Robin Hood should be gone forever. On the other hand, Sean McGuire seems like an okay guy and he was really sad and surprised by the whole thing, so they should just bring him back to stand in the background as a ghost saying "Gosh, I'm sad that I'm dead!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm sure the actor's a good guy and all, but Robin was boring as hell. I am not looking forward to this.

• Locked thread