Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

KamenZero posted:

Woe is the man that was "forced into" playing video games for the internet. Give me a frickin' break.

Hmmm I just got laid off... I could either get off my rear end and try to contribute to society in a different way but wait! THE INTERNET NEEDS ME TO MAKE VIDEOS FOR IT! Sound logic, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Attestant posted:

Fairly sure that he's just completely incapable of empathizing with anyone not-him, and equally incapable of admitting anything being his fault.

Well there's that, but any reasonable person might be annoyed by someone taking the piss about their profession too. Just because it's video games doesn't immediately make it a walk in the park to play for 8 hours a day.

A lot of people who do YT gaming professionally will acknowledge that there are worse jobs - but in some ways those worse jobs are less demanding too. (responsibility, schedule, vacation time, etc)

It's a common perception that playing video games for a living must be super-awesome since everyone else does it for fun - but it's really the difference between street ball and professional basketball. When you have to play X games for Y hours today and review or be entertaining then it's not relaxation time - it's a job.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hmm, lovely white nerd can't empathize with other people, what a surprise.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

unfair posted:

Well there's that, but any reasonable person might be annoyed by someone taking the piss about their profession too. Just because it's video games doesn't immediately make it a walk in the park to play for 8 hours a day.

Any reasonable person who runs their own business also takes the time to check out the market and figure out "people have an issue with my product... well I'd better just keep shipping it" isn't the answer to anything.

Phil's a nut. I don't know any other way to say it.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Any reasonable person who runs their own business also takes the time to check out the market and figure out "people have an issue with my product... well I'd better just keep shipping it" isn't the answer to anything.

Phil's a nut. I don't know any other way to say it.

Well yeah, I was just saying there's no reason to make up things to bash him for when he's clearly a crazy person with enough faults already. I also think the best solution for people like that is to ignore them and try to minimize their exposure.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

slowbeef posted:

Apparently, he manages to make a living at it, though, so there must be enough of an audience that likes his videos the way they are. Twilight has a huge rabid fanbase that supported four books and five movies, PewDiePie is the most successful channel on Youtube that's not actually run by Youtube, and Final Fantasy games sell like anti-aging drugs. There are very few businesses that would change their product in untested ways when they have a good revenue stream coming in and no external market indicators that it's going to dry up (consumer backlash over leaked information in the media, new government regulations, etc.). Whether people are watching his videos and streams because they manage to genuinely enjoy the content or for the irony, he gets paid all the same, so why cater to people who admittedly hate his videos and likely wouldn't start watching if he changed his ways somehow? They probably block ads anyway.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nidoking posted:

Apparently, he manages to make a living at it, though, so there must be enough of an audience that likes his videos the way they are. Twilight has a huge rabid fanbase that supported four books and five movies, PewDiePie is the most successful channel on Youtube that's not actually run by Youtube, and Final Fantasy games sell like anti-aging drugs. There are very few businesses that would change their product in untested ways when they have a good revenue stream coming in and no external market indicators that it's going to dry up (consumer backlash over leaked information in the media, new government regulations, etc.). Whether people are watching his videos and streams because they manage to genuinely enjoy the content or for the irony, he gets paid all the same, so why cater to people who admittedly hate his videos and likely wouldn't start watching if he changed his ways somehow? They probably block ads anyway.

Actually, that's not quite correct. Phil's complained about views/revenue a few times recently. He's not happy with his inflow, and he has tried to solve this problem (see #dspositive and ranting about adblock) in superficial ways. Basically, his product is not selling as much as he'd like, so he just keeps making more to satisfy his dwindling customer base.

Even he recognizes there's something wrong, but he's too obstinate to try and fix it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Adblock thing confuses me; because he always talks about how his contract is view-based, so that isn't a direct problem for him. Are partner contracts subject to renegotiation? If they are, then it wouldn't surprise me if he's coming close to that, and he's began to realise that his income might fall quite a bit soon and he's starting to freak out.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Hmm, lovely white nerd can't empathize with other people, what a surprise.

shut up with that not-playing-computer-games-for-the-internet privilege...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SocialBlade estimates between 22k and 230k per year for DSPGaming. I'm going to guess he's towards the low end of that. I have no idea what if anything Twitch pays out, but he's doing well there, with 3 million views on his (what must be never ending considering the amount of videos he releases) stream in the last month. He's probably making less than he would working your average office job and without the benefits like health insurance, retirement savings or resume building.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

The Adblock thing confuses me; because he always talks about how his contract is view-based, so that isn't a direct problem for him.

I don't think he gets paid via the contract. That is, "we'll partner you so long as you maintain X views." But his actual revenue is still based around the ads. Machinima takes their 30-50% cut. It used to be 50 when he did it way back when - now 30 is the norm. Who knows if he managed to "negotiate" that.

We did for Retsupurae. It involved asking. Somehow, I don't see him even doing that.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Lazyfire posted:

I have no idea what if anything Twitch pays out

From what I've heard, on Twitch, you make money by the "subscribe" feature. You pay 5 bucks for a 6 month subscription, and I believe twitch gets half, and the streamer gets half.

Also from what I know, a lot of big streamers get cash donations (I see this often with speedrunners who are having good runs, etc), but I have a feeling Phil either doesn't realize this, or just has a fanbase that wouldn't donate actual money to him anyway. An in the end, he's not breaking any kinds of records anyway, so people wouldn't otherwise be motivated to donate to him, I'd think.

e: For example, look at Cosmo and Trihex. They stream often, and are considered among the best for the games they play. But what's the big difference between them and Phil? They're likable. They get a lot of donations, and from what I can tell, can do pretty well from just streaming and stuff.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

slowbeef posted:

I don't think he gets paid via the contract. That is, "we'll partner you so long as you maintain X views." But his actual revenue is still based around the ads. Machinima takes their 30-50% cut. It used to be 50 when he did it way back when - now 30 is the norm. Who knows if he managed to "negotiate" that.

We did for Retsupurae. It involved asking. Somehow, I don't see him even doing that.

I sat through one of his awful "pre-streams" (why that idea exists is beyond me) that some guy put on youtube and he said "most partner contracts now are ad-based, I'm view based" or something like that; I definitely remember him saying that he gets paid per view rather than per ad click. Of course, it wouldn't surprised me if he never read the contract and just thought "Hey, free money!" and signed it. I'll try and dig it out at some point, I'm on my phone right now so its not so easy just now...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

heytallman posted:

From what I've heard, on Twitch, you make money by the "subscribe" feature. You pay 5 bucks for a 6 month subscription, and I believe twitch gets half, and the streamer gets half.

Also from what I know, a lot of big streamers get cash donations (I see this often with speedrunners who are having good runs, etc), but I have a feeling Phil either doesn't realize this, or just has a fanbase that wouldn't donate actual money to him anyway. An in the end, he's not breaking any kinds of records anyway, so people wouldn't otherwise be motivated to donate to him, I'd think.

I think if you're popular enough, Twitch will offer you a partnership so you will receive an ad revenue cut as well.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I look at PDP and DSP in sort of the same way as early Youtube superstar fred, almost having the same target demographic(young people), once the people who enjoyed the childish antics grow up enough(PDP rape/poo poo jokes and watching DSP constantly being a stuckup fuckstick) it's game over, since it's seems to be harder to keep the same number of fans after a few years on the internet than other types of media. At the same time these people don't really improve the quality of their shows in almost any way besides resolution of the video.

While the numbers are not dropping for PDP yet, give it a year or so.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Regarding DSP + AdBlock.

:allears:

e: Also contains the answer regarding him being paid.

YouTube = per view
Twitch = per ad.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, guys, stop stealing his precious content. That extra cent that he gets from his wide and vast audience of five (5) people watching ads really goes a long way.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Aurain posted:

YouTube = per view
Twitch = per ad.

Huh. I swear I always heard that youtube was per ad as well. I guess I can enable adblock when watching phil videos without feeling poo poo about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, guys, stop stealing his precious content. That extra cent that he gets from his wide and vast audience of five (5) people watching ads really goes a long way.

He'll be fine, he has a store with which to rip off unsuspecting fans with.

...Why the gently caress does he sell apparel with a hand flipping the bird. Who would wear that in public? Why the gently caress would anyone want DSP-brand thongs. Why.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I think the thing that bothers me the most is his haphazard capitalization and punctuation usage. I mean, it's not hard to find the apostrophe or use shift when appropriate, right?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Aurain posted:

Regarding DSP + AdBlock.

:allears:

e: Also contains the answer regarding him being paid.

YouTube = per view
Twitch = per ad.

Christ, what a loving idiot. Your ad revenue is not directly proportional to your views! It depends on your CPM. Auuuughhhhh!!!!!!

To be fair, though, I'd never heard of a YT partner paying out on a per-view basis. I wonder which one actually works out better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want DSP-brand thongs. Why.

I imagine that either partner wearing one of those in a relationship is one of the easiest ways to say "we need to see other people."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Aurain posted:

I imagine that either partner wearing one of those in a relationship is one of the easiest ways to say "we need to see other people."

Because if you prematurely ejaculate, your partner won't be surprised when you blame them for it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The adblock thing is a sore topic of conversation everywhere though; I know that in the QCS thread about ads a few people were probated for telling people to use adblock on the forums... I think that there is an argue to disable adblock if you like the content that you're watching, but that really demands mutual respect from those serving the ads to make them reasonable. The problem is that there are always a few youtube ads that are ridiculous - I remember that before I found a safari version of adblock plus; a youtube ad that was some 15 minute thing about how we needed the gold standard or the evil EU would take us over that I couldn't skip; and if youtube ads are more like those now, then people are going to universally block them because they're not worth it. Its the reason why SA is awful to browse on a phone without AwfulApp, ad buyers have learned that they can serve direct links to some random RPG in the app store and those supplying the ads to websites don't care enough to get rid of them...

e: being like "gently caress YOU FOR ADBLOCKING, YOU'RE BANNED" the way that DSP does it is ridiculous though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

Its the reason why SA is awful to browse on a phone without AwfulApp, ad buyers have learned that they can serve direct links to some random RPG in the app store and those supplying the ads to websites don't care enough to get rid of them...

Yeah, I've noticed this quite a bit on my Android tablet/phone, though I don't know if it's true for iOS. I often get redirected to shady looking "virus scanners" and I'm pretty sure I've been redirected straight to downloading malware .apk files from time to time, which I can always delete then and there to save them from harming my stuff. I agree with the notion of removing adblock for things you want to actively support though, and more often than not, things that are worth supporting aren't that intrusive with the ads anyway.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

While we're talking about morons with no sense can I bring up a BF4 Livestreamer?

WidgityBear is a dedicated helicopter pilot in Battlefield 4 and was the same in BF3. However, he only flies on two maps and won't stick around unless he has two people repairing him at all times and the other team doesn't use lock on weapons to take him out in the ONE vehicle he'll use, the scout helicopter.

So normally that just makes the guy a bit particular and no worse than most people. Until you hear his backstory. He was making $60k out of school thanks to a couple certifications and programs he participated in and gave it up to move back in with his parents and make a living livestreaming him playing Battlefield in the manner I describe above.

I refuse to believe he didn't make all of that up because if he is real I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

At the very least Youtube needs to figure out how to tailor ads to the host video's length. I'd rather not watch or support an ad that's 25% as long as the thing I came to watch, let alone something possibly several times longer.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

While we're talking about morons with no sense can I bring up a BF4 Livestreamer?

WidgityBear is a dedicated helicopter pilot in Battlefield 4 and was the same in BF3. However, he only flies on two maps and won't stick around unless he has two people repairing him at all times and the other team doesn't use lock on weapons to take him out in the ONE vehicle he'll use, the scout helicopter.

So normally that just makes the guy a bit particular and no worse than most people. Until you hear his backstory. He was making $60k out of school thanks to a couple certifications and programs he participated in and gave it up to move back in with his parents and make a living livestreaming him playing Battlefield in the manner I describe above.

I refuse to believe he didn't make all of that up because if he is real I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

There is no way that's true, I'm pretty sure his father would beat him senseless for being so incredibly beefheaded.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TARDISman posted:

There is no way that's true, I'm pretty sure his father would beat him senseless for being so incredibly beefheaded.

Phil worked for Sikorsky helicopters for a number of years according to what he's said. You would think someone who worked for a United Technologies branch for any length of time would have more sense than to become the KING OF HATE (please don't say bad things about me!) but here we are.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

Phil worked for Sikorsky helicopters for a number of years according to what he's said. You would think someone who worked for a United Technologies branch for any length of time would have more sense than to become the KING OF HATE (please don't say bad things about me!) but here we are.

Did he mop the floors or something? I'd have thought that if whatever he did was actually relevant to sikorsky, either it would have been a desk job which is probably more or less interchangeable with playing video games in terms of the stress on his back, and if it was something more physically stressful, he would have a level of experience, contacts and references which might allow him to do something more worthwhile than playing video games badly for the internet.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

Did he mop the floors or something? I'd have thought that if whatever he did was actually relevant to sikorsky, either it would have been a desk job which is probably more or less interchangeable with playing video games in terms of the stress on his back, and if it was something more physically stressful, he would have a level of experience, contacts and references which might allow him to do something more worthwhile than playing video games badly for the internet.

I've said it here a couple times, but based on what he's revealed about when he was laid off it was during one of the worldwide layoffs they did and I think maybe 20 people in the US lost jobs on that one? I once worked with a guy with 20 years at Sikorsky and he was maybe a step above mentally challenged (long story) before they transferred him to Pratt and Whitney. So based on this Phil was either so useless it wasn't worth sending him to another branch or was on a less than prestigious project or, most likely, was so terrible to work with his manager offered him up in the mass layoffs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Knowing that DSP has worked on something even remotely close to a helicopter, even if he was sweeping up dust, is enough to scare you off taking a flight in one for life.

In all serious though, I have sympathy for him losing his job, particularly if he was one of around 20 in the entire US side of the operation to do so even if he deserved it, but no sympathy for him for anything else.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He lost it four years ago and hasn't bothered looking since. He has no sympathy from me.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Phil worked for Sikorsky helicopters

explains all the helicopter crashes here, then!

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Huh. I swear I always heard that youtube was per ad as well. I guess I can enable adblock when watching phil videos without feeling poo poo about it.

slowbeef posted:

Christ, what a loving idiot. Your ad revenue is not directly proportional to your views! It depends on your CPM. Auuuughhhhh!!!!!!

To be fair, though, I'd never heard of a YT partner paying out on a per-view basis. I wonder which one actually works out better.

Depends on how you're being paid. Directly from YouTube, yes it's always Monetized Views * RPM. However there are some networks that used to pay a flat rate per thousand views, which works out approximately the same. Curse used to pay a flat $3/m views for instance.

I know Curse allowed people who were on that plan to stay with it if they wanted to - perhaps other networks grandfathered people in the same way. If he's been with his network a long time it's possible they're still paying a flat rate. Or he's just an idiot.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Somebody mentioned the RPGCodex LP thing a while back, and it's actually kinda interesting, because I found that around the same time as the post, and... It's got a respectable series of completed LPs. Just like our lil' master list, pretty much anything before 2010 is going to be a bit of a gamble, video and image host wise, but the Let's Play of, for example, Fred Pohl's Gateway by Crooked Bee (no relation, maybe, possibly, don't know?) is actually quite good. But it definitely seems like a lot of '07 LPs in screenshot form, so if that's not to your taste, you know now.

Still, I'm currently following the Might & Magic X LP, and it seems well done.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

He did try to negotiate his contract at the start of the year, and Machinima wouldn't give him more money than whatever he gets now.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

slowbeef posted:

Because if you prematurely ejaculate, your partner won't be surprised when you blame them for it.

"THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ninjahedgehog posted:

"THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO!"

IT'S NOT MY FAULT! THIS VAGINA IS BUGGED OR SOMETHING! GOD DAMMIT KOJIMA!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
"OH IT'S BECAUSE THEY EXPECT YOU TO BUY A loving STRATEGY GUIDE."

"Okay so now what?... ...Okay so the chat is telling me to start by sucking on her nipples.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's call the whole thing off right here.

• Locked thread