Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Patrick just bought a copy of Demon's Souls. Hopefully Soulsin' With Scoops continues :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Brad died to shields.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Gearing up to have Dark Souls 2 become GOTY this year.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Randallteal posted:

Man I love Demon's Souls. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to run through the entire level if the boss kills you. I would replay this whole game if it weren't for the Flame Lurker and a couple other bosses.

Edit: That prince NPC is totally going to die while Brad runs around.

There's totally a shortcut to flame guy.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I hope they don't all get burned out by March. You can't have cake all the time.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
It's going to take half a year for Brad to finish this.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dezinus posted:

You can't have cake all the time.

You and I both know this is incorrect.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Vinny is a very dignified reader.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Vinny is the god damned best.

"SHUT. UP."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Air Julio posted:

Vinny is the god damned best.

"SHUT. UP."

WHY DON'T YOU JUST HAVE BALLOONS WITH ASSHOLES ON THEM

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
SHE HUNG HERSELF AND TURNED TO STONE.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dark Souls is a pretty good game, guys.

Edit: how are they unable to see the stats and what they do. It literally tells you!

Decades of games that baby you for half the game has ruined most people for comparing numbers.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 23, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Oh my god a scraping spear rear end in a top hat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Scraping Spear wielding piece of crap invaded. I'm glad they got rid of that stupid garbage in Dark Souls.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Scraping Spear invaders are the loving worst because I've never met one who actually can kill you in a timely fashion, so it just becomes this dumb war of attrition as you beat the poo poo out of someone who you would be able to kill if it weren't for the fact that they broke your weapon.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The next time I'm taking a dog for a poop walk I'm bringing a compass.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Breaking Brad: Brad Gets Trolled

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The science exchange in the beginning of the podcast was amazing.

Brad: "Water doesn't stick to itself, it'd just fly apart in zero G."

Everyone Else: "But we've seen water floating around in space!"

Brad: "Maybe."

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Brad's still going to want to see messages and stuff. He should just kill himself in the nexus.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Brad's still going to want to see messages and stuff. He should just kill himself in the nexus.

Yeah I have no idea why people are telling him to play offline.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I remember now why I stopped reading the chat. Lot's of people all "Hehe, look at the Brad tears lel. it's part of the game! lel"

I've come full circle on the Souls's pvp. It sucks and is laggy and isn't fun and doesn't really add anything to the game. It just provides jerks an opportunity to be a jerk. If a new player had a way to defend himself against a perfectly min/maxed build that would be different but you can't almost all the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

I remember now why I stopped reading the chat. Lot's of people all "Hehe, look at the Brad tears lel. it's part of the game! lel"

I've come full circle on the Souls's pvp. It sucks and is laggy and isn't fun and doesn't really add anything to the game. It just provides jerks an opportunity to be a jerk. If a new player had a way to defend himself against a perfectly min/maxed build that would be different but you can't almost all the time.

You mean like by playing in soul form the surefire way to never get invaded.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, just loving wow. :aaaaa:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rexicon1 posted:

Well, especially the scraping spear. Like if you get killed normally during an invasion, it sucks, but whatever you die all the time anyway. Having all your poo poo break is terrible.

(edit): hahaha Brad just basically got all his poo poo back as loot

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a lot of fun with Dark Souls PvP, it's just that some things like that Scraping Spear is just dumb all-around.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
From Software's willing to let the player be invaded while hollow in Dark Souls 2, but they don't want to bring back the Scraping Spear. That's how horseshit it is.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a lot of fun with Dark Souls PvP, it's just that some things like that Scraping Spear is just dumb all-around.

How do you deal with how laggy it is? What about it do you find fun?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The lag can be compensated for once you play enough because it's usually more of a predictable delay rather than random spikes/teleporting. It was still super annoying though and is the reason I gave up PvP'ing pretty early on. Still, I had some great fights the few times it wasn't super laggy and am glad it's still part of the game. It turns into a chess match basically, and you have to quickly figure out what your opponent's weakness is and how you can take advantage of it. Do you have the speed/quickness to get some jabs in if you dodge a heavy attack? Can you simply tank their damage and then get 2-3 good shots in? Stuff like that made most fights really tense, and I got legitimately anxious/excited when I'd see the invade message and be waiting to see what kind of player invaded me.

Also players are going to be able to get some help during invasions in DS2. (mild gameplay spoiler) There's a covenant that's basically the Anti-invasion guys that will summon a member into a player's world to help them whenever that player is being invaded.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

VDay posted:

The lag can be compensated for once you play enough because it's usually more of a predictable delay rather than random spikes/teleporting. It was still super annoying though and is the reason I gave up PvP'ing pretty early on. Still, I had some great fights the few times it wasn't super laggy and am glad it's still part of the game. It turns into a chess match basically, and you have to quickly figure out what your opponent's weakness is and how you can take advantage of it. Do you have the speed/quickness to get some jabs in if you dodge a heavy attack? Can you simply tank their damage and then get 2-3 good shots in? Stuff like that made most fights really tense, and I got legitimately anxious/excited when I'd see the invade message and be waiting to see what kind of player invaded me.

Also players are going to be able to get some help during invasions in DS2. (mild gameplay spoiler) There's a covenant that's basically the Anti-invasion guys that will summon a member into a player's world to help them whenever that player is being invaded.

As far as compensating for lag, that's a really lovely way to justify it being awful.

I can see how it would be neat if the majority of invasions were people who are even close to your level range. Almost all the time I've done invasions or been invaded, the level disparity is completely ridiculous to the point that its always a massacre. It's like Dota where one team has 40 kills in the first 20 minutes and the game is basically over, but you need to play through 15-20 more minutes of it. If they make it so that the invading/invaded level range was reduced I'd be more ok with it, but there's just so much about it that sucks that I can't see justifying it.

Also, the balance in the game is totally off. There are 2-3 builds that dominate all others (giant dad comes to mind) and need to be specifically built against to defeat (this is all assuming that the level disparity is even close). That's not fun, its tedious.

UGGH and I just remembered how long it actually takes to find a good pvp match even. I've sat around trying to Darkwraith for 2-3 hours before getting into a game with a guy who obviously just started and I killed him with one swing of my fire claymore through his shield. It's the loving worst.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I like Vinny's take on Lautrec.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rexicon1 posted:

As far as compensating for lag, that's a really lovely way to justify it being awful.

I can see how it would be neat if the majority of invasions were people who are even close to your level range. Almost all the time I've done invasions or been invaded, the level disparity is completely ridiculous to the point that its always a massacre. It's like Dota where one team has 40 kills in the first 20 minutes and the game is basically over, but you need to play through 15-20 more minutes of it. If they make it so that the invading/invaded level range was reduced I'd be more ok with it, but there's just so much about it that sucks that I can't see justifying it.

Also, the balance in the game is totally off. There are 2-3 builds that dominate all others (giant dad comes to mind) and need to be specifically built against to defeat (this is all assuming that the level disparity is even close). That's not fun, its tedious.

UGGH and I just remembered how long it actually takes to find a good pvp match even. I've sat around trying to Darkwraith for 2-3 hours before getting into a game with a guy who obviously just started and I killed him with one swing of my fire claymore through his shield. It's the loving worst.

The problem isn't so much levels but gear. Everyone that invades you is with ~10% of your soul level or weaker than you but there's no accounting for all their gear being perfect while your gear is a hodgepodge of whatever you happened to find. A lot of people who invade a lot also keep 99 liquid humanity which is a pretty huge defensive boost.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aside from when that piece of garbage showing up and ruined everything I thought that was a pretty great Breaking Brad. Vinny really killed it with those jokes.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 23, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rexicon1 posted:

You can only invade higher levels than you, and I think 10% of your level below. Generally the issue is that the invader's equipment outclasses the host, rather than a level disparity. I suppose the possibility of invading a host who's way out of your level range exists, but I think the common complaint is overpowered invaders, rather than invasion targets.

Low level invaders with high level gear definitely exist though, and they're kind of assholes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

uPen posted:

The problem isn't so much levels but gear. Everyone that invades you is with ~10% of your soul level or weaker than you but there's no accounting for all their gear being perfect while your gear is a hodgepodge of whatever you happened to find. A lot of people who invade a lot also keep 99 liquid humanity which is a pretty huge defensive boost.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You can only invade higher levels than you, and I think 10% of your level below. Generally the issue is that the invader's equipment outclasses the host, rather than a level disparity. I suppose the possibility of invading a host who's way out of your level range exists, but I think the common complaint is overpowered invaders, rather than invasion targets.

Low level invaders with high level gear definitely exist though, and they're kind of assholes.

I suppose there is a way to compensate for this disparity but it involves making some kind of bullshit "gear score" kind of level. And that blows for other reasons.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Rexicon1 posted:

I suppose there is a way to compensate for this disparity but it involves making some kind of bullshit "gear score" kind of level. And that blows for other reasons.

One of the things they're doing to hopefully alleviate that stuff in DkS2 is making stat scaling more important. In DkS, a lot of PvPers use pyromancy and elemental weapons because they don't scale with stats, they just do big damage regardless of stats if you spend the souls to upgrade them. In DS2 pyromancy and fire weapons will scale with intelligence and lightning weapons will scale with faith.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Dark Souls is a pretty good game, guys.

Edit: how are they unable to see the stats and what they do. It literally tells you!

Decades of games that baby you for half the game has ruined most people for comparing numbers.

I played Wizardry 6 for the first time over the weekend and that game is like a Souls game on steroids. You can gently caress yourself super easily, nothing explains yourself, there's no map, tons of hidden mechanics, and even things you need that you can only find by using the search command on unremarkable walls. It's amazing that people finished these games in the days before wikis.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It really blows that the Resistance stat is so bad. I hope there isn't anything like that in Dark Souls 2.

Like if you're playing Dark Souls without wanting to use any wikis or anything, there's a good chance you're going to gravitate towards a stat called "Resistance" since you get beaten down so easily and that's a real bad move.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

The balance is off, but it's worth saying that this is the the opposite of true. Giantdads and other huge weapon users are very far from optimal, a lot of people just use them because they're a low-effort way to win against inexperienced people (and they're rarely invaders due to the level requirement to make that sort of build, and the fact that they're even less likely to lose by summoning friends). The actual most powerful builds at a high level of play are probably mostly going to involve a rapier and fast or ninja rolling.

Also, honestly, the PvP wouldn't be as fun for such a very long amount of time if it were meant to be heavily balanced. Ridiculous builds versus ridiculous builds or fighting uphill battles are the lifeblood of dark souls pvp, or if you want to play seriously then you use a good quick weapon and go somewhere that dueling happens, and that's fun too. Yeah I guess it's a shame that lower level players can get ruined by someone with endgame gear, but it's the vast minority of invasions even for those low-level high-gear players, and those newbies were probably gonna die to the environment or boss anyway.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
You know what Giantbomb really needs.

A Jeff King's Field stream. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fallom posted:

It really blows that the Resistance stat is so bad. I hope there isn't anything like that in Dark Souls 2.

Like if you're playing Dark Souls without wanting to use any wikis or anything, there's a good chance you're going to gravitate towards a stat called "Resistance" since you get beaten down so easily and that's a real bad move.

Someone posted a video after pumping a ton into resistance during the network test, and I hope they nerf it because it seemed utterly ridiculous. Dude could just stand there getting pounded on over and over and I couldn't even see his health bar going down at all.

• Locked thread