Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

Tell them you will do it for 10k more a year.

Yeah if you're gonna turn it down otherwise anyway might as well ask for more money. Then they can turn you down and you won't even bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for books that offer a good introduction to corporate social responsibility? I've been hired by a couple of companies to translate their annual CSR reports, and while I've got a reasonable handle on the terminology and whatnot, I feel like the professional thing to do would be to have some idea what I'm writing about.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books that offer a good introduction to corporate social responsibility? I've been hired by a couple of companies to translate their annual CSR reports, and while I've got a reasonable handle on the terminology and whatnot, I feel like the professional thing to do would be to have some idea what I'm writing about.

Sorry I don't have a good book but some of the terminology appears in the wiki entry below. The next link is a documentary that may be helpful to understand the approach to CSR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_TCDS-V6Aw

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

An MBA I know recommends this

http://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Social-Responsibility-Doing-Company/dp/0471476110

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for both of those. I noticed that book on a look through Amazon the other day and it seemed fairly well received going by the reviews, so I guess I'll get on that, along with that documentary.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I assume we can post office/career related stuff here too, right?

My boss wants to put me on a promotion track and I feel terrified. My second anniversary in this position (project coordinator) will be this fall. This was my first real office job and adapting was a huge struggle in my first year. I'm still not entirely used to it, and I feel like a promotion would only be worse. Did anyone else feel this way when they were in my position?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

legsarerequired posted:

My boss wants to put me on a promotion track and I feel terrified. My second anniversary in this position (project coordinator) will be this fall. This was my first real office job and adapting was a huge struggle in my first year. I'm still not entirely used to it, and I feel like a promotion would only be worse. Did anyone else feel this way when they were in my position?

It is not uncommon for someone to feel overwhelmed or not ready for a promotion or new opportunity career wise.

Just know that plenty of people never "feel ready" and end up doing fine. Focus on the tasks and duties you are expected to carry out and figure out how to get better at them if you don't think you are an all star or the obvious choice as of yet. Assuming you feel like it is something you would want to do at all of course.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

legsarerequired posted:

My wife and I feel this way. I have a super chill job that pays OK. A promotion that requires 2x the work for a 10% raise is something I'm just not interested in. Shes basically in the same boat and completely regretted taking a promotion and eventually switched back.

Depends on the job though. I probably wouldn't feel this way if I was doing something I love.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The flip side of that is if you're not moving up quickly and early, it sometimes becomes hard to move up at all, at least without making a jump to a new job, which is just as risky as taking on a higher role at work.

Sometimes a promotion doesn't mean 2x the work, either(sometimes it can mean less), so it's all about context.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
The Peter Principle is a real thing.

I've turned down more money when I was offered the option of dropping software development and becoming a middle management / scrum master. I had no real interest in that, but my manager asked me to try it for a month. Moving things around a spreadsheet, sitting in meetings, writing very little code. It was a completely different job, and I hated it.

I flat-out told my manager that I liked writing code, and that I didn't ever want to be responsible for the work of other humans.

It's been about two years since that decision, and I still think it was the right one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nah, I agree more with the Gervais Principle. If everyone rose to their level of incompetence, the organization wouldn't be able to function and wouldn't make money. No company could last any length of time at all. Plus there is simply not room for everyone to rise above their level of incompetence.

But moving up from the bottom of the pyramid risks you getting stuck in the middle and not the top. As I said, all about context.

Also, if you make more money, you can stop working for others faster and then write whatever the hell code you want to do. But that depends on how much more you'd make and whether that's a goal of yours.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 5, 2015

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
My job is definitely typical office drone stuff, and I would move on to do more office drone stuff, but with more money.

The more I think about it, I should definitely suck it up and start bettering myself because I'm just not making enough money to be as financially stable (in terms of saving for retirement, supporting a hypothetical family) as I would like to be.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

it's all about context.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Nail Rat posted:

Also, if you make more money, you can stop working for others faster and then write whatever the hell code you want to do. But that depends on how much more you'd make and whether that's a goal of yours.

Hell, you don't even need to stop working for others if that doesn't interest you. If you have enough money you can work for whoever you want, doing whatever you want, without regard for how much they're paying you.

I notice I get treated a lot better at work now that I have that "I don't need any of this" swagger. I'm sure some of it has to do with my own perspective on things, too.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dessert Rose posted:

I notice I get treated a lot better at work now that I have that "I don't need any of this" swagger. I'm sure some of it has to do with my own perspective on things, too.

This is a great place to be. I am basically in the gently caress you, I am the best at my job, state of mind. I do what I want, when I want.

Everyone loves me though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What would you do if you had June off?

Like, imagine someone is paying you like 3k and you don't have to do anything but if you make any other money legitimately you'll have to pay back half of it, so working to make more of that June paper is basically a waste of time.

Also, imagine you don't want to leave home.

I'm also going to crosspost this in small/stupid questions thread and maybe GBS to compare answers.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Like, imagine someone is paying you like 3k and you don't have to do anything but if you make any other money legitimately you'll have to pay back half of it, so working to make more of that June paper is basically a waste of time.

I'm also going to crosspost this in small/stupid questions thread and maybe GBS to compare answers.

Was gonna say road trip without the leaving home part...

Finish weeding the yard, make a new projector screen for the living room, garden, work on the business since it's not making money yet (and wouldn't in June anyhow).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I'd start another business and throw the $1500 back at them. This breaks the intended scenario but the sum paid is too small for me to not do something else.

If you were unable to make enough for it to be worthwhile I'd write a book, go cycling, do gardening, read some books, play piano and guitar, drink and probably have a party. Probably a lot of other things as well given that a month is a lot of time.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

Go back home for a month and hit the beach. Maybe go on a road trip.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

tuyop posted:

Cook all my own meals with at least one new meal a day. Hit the gym on the daily. Play with the kids a lot more. Paint some rooms in the new house. Probably replace some window framing. Mount all my TVs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'd hike the John Muir trail.

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

Last time I was in this situation, my wife gave birth to our daughter. It worked out well.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Cook all my own meals with at least one new meal a day.

You can do this now. My wife and I both work full time (with two small kids) and we cook >95% all the meals we eat and have for the last year. Seriously, do it! It changed my entire relationship with food and cut my grocery budget in nearly half. Our grocery budget is less than the food stamp budget and we average more than 1g protein per lb of body weight with significant additional budget room at add more if we wanted.

Except we only do "new" meals on weekends. They invariably take longer and make more mess. No time for that on weekdays.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Folly posted:

Last time I was in this situation, my wife gave birth to our daughter. It worked out well.

You can do this now. My wife and I both work full time (with two small kids) and we cook >95% all the meals we eat and have for the last year. Seriously, do it! It changed my entire relationship with food and cut my grocery budget in nearly half. Our grocery budget is less than the food stamp budget and we average more than 1g protein per lb of body weight with significant additional budget room at add more if we wanted.

Except we only do "new" meals on weekends. They invariably take longer and make more mess. No time for that on weekdays.

Yeah, we've been doing this for like three years now. Takeout is usually pretty unsatisfying because it's like, bam, there goes 60 bucks for something that we could have made just as well (sometimes better) in an hour at home. We don't make 60 bucks an hour sitting at home so...

Except for Indian food. gently caress me if I can make a decent curry no matter what I do.

Though we even often make our own bread and pizza with our refurbished stand mixer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm usually a lot better about it. I'd say we cooked at least 75% of our meals. But we're in between houses, she and the kids are at her grandparents and I'm commuting from a different city to work, so I've been eating out a lot. I should get my new house and kitchen on Monday, and at that point I am going to be so into it. I need to find some new recipes and honestly figure out what starter items (spices, oils) I need to stock it with again.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Random question, not sure if it fits in this thread or not. I'm a product manager for a large transportation and logistics company. I would like to move into software product management (well, it seems ALL PM work is now in software at this point), but a major sticking point is my lack of agile development experience. Agile only seems to make sense for software-type products or services. So, since my company uses the waterfall method of product development, what's the best way to gain some meaningful experience? I have lost out on several job opportunities for the sole reason that I lack agile experience. Frankly, it's getting frustrating. Like non-Agile PMs are obsolete now

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

Yeah, we've been doing this for like three years now. Takeout is usually pretty unsatisfying because it's like, bam, there goes 60 bucks for something that we could have made just as well (sometimes better) in an hour at home. We don't make 60 bucks an hour sitting at home so...

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. Eating out is frustrating for us now because the food is only better if we go to a restaurant that costs more than a week's worth of groceries. Our best use of eating out now is to go to an ethnic place and figure out which recipes we should learn to cook ourselves.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm usually a lot better about it. I'd say we cooked at least 75% of our meals. But we're in between houses, she and the kids are at her grandparents and I'm commuting from a different city to work, so I've been eating out a lot. I should get my new house and kitchen on Monday, and at that point I am going to be so into it. I need to find some new recipes and honestly figure out what starter items (spices, oils) I need to stock it with again.

I, uh, might be working on a guide for doing exactly this. Basically, how to go from owning no food to a fully stocked pantry in 4 weeks while staying within the food stamp budget. I wish it were far enough along that I could use a beta tester. I've only got the first 14 days of meals and 3 weekly grocery trips planned. And the first month is pretty constrained in the "healthy" department because of large, multi-month purchases like a big sack of rice that should last a year. You know, limitations you could easily overcome by not actually being on food stamps and spending a little extra. But I'd be glad to share what I've got if you want it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Folly posted:

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. Eating out is frustrating for us now because the food is only better if we go to a restaurant that costs more than a week's worth of groceries. Our best use of eating out now is to go to an ethnic place and figure out which recipes we should learn to cook ourselves.

I, uh, might be working on a guide for doing exactly this. Basically, how to go from owning no food to a fully stocked pantry in 4 weeks while staying within the food stamp budget. I wish it were far enough along that I could use a beta tester. I've only got the first 14 days of meals and 3 weekly grocery trips planned. And the first month is pretty constrained in the "healthy" department because of large, multi-month purchases like a big sack of rice that should last a year. You know, limitations you could easily overcome by not actually being on food stamps and spending a little extra. But I'd be glad to share what I've got if you want it.

I'd love that. Wanna send it to notinmybutt at gmail?

Folly
May 26, 2010
Absolutely. Give me until tomorrow please so I can make it somewhat presentable.

Edit:

Omne posted:

what's the best way to gain some meaningful [Agile PM] experience?

I'll ask our project manager when she gets back on Friday, but I'm not expecting much for your situation. We're an IT shop, so she probably had Agile land in her lap. You can always try finding a business process in your current environment that works with Agile and asking if your boss will let you try it out. Oooh, and doesn't CodeAcademy or similar free programming schools have a phase where you do code for non-profits to get real world experience? If such a charity exists then it makes sense that they'd need Agile project management.

Boom! http://www.freecodecamp.com/
Agile is on the skill list. Not sure if it's what you need, but it's all I got.

Folly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 6, 2015

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Folly posted:

I would also be glad to help you beta test this. If you want another tester, please send it to my username at gmail.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'd love that. Wanna send it to notinmybutt at gmail?

Username + Gmail account = dude, you seem overly concerned with butt stuff.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Username + Gmail account = dude, you seem overly concerned with butt stuff.

this was a name change and I made the e-mail after that to have an e-mail that wasn't firstname.lastname@gmail.com

I feel like I should've been "OK Some Butt Stuff"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

this was a name change and I made the e-mail after that to have an e-mail that wasn't firstname.lastname@gmail.com

I feel like I should've been "OK Some Butt Stuff"

As I recall, someone WAS "OK, Some Butt Stuff". I got my namechange in that thread too, what a wonderful time :allears:

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Folly posted:

Ooh I'd love to beta test this once it's ready. I'm about to move across the country next month so I'll be starting totally 100% from scratch.

only if chased at gmail dot com (no spaces obvs)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

What should I be looking for in a career counselor?

I have a weird job history and a fuzzy idea of what I want my next job to be like, but I'm kind of lost in terms of how to find something that fits. Also my networking is poo poo due to current job.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

BrainParasite posted:

What should I be looking for in a career counselor?

I have a weird job history and a fuzzy idea of what I want my next job to be like, but I'm kind of lost in terms of how to find something that fits. Also my networking is poo poo due to current job.

Do you have anyone in your life that you think of as someone who has their career together? Maybe a relative, an old friend from school, a teacher or former boss, a former co-worker, etc? I feel like people are often very open to giving out help. They might be too busy with day-to-day stuff to actually meet up in person, but they might be open to answering a direct question over email, Facebook or Linkedin.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

legsarerequired posted:

Do you have anyone in your life that you think of as someone who has their career together? Maybe a relative, an old friend from school, a teacher or former boss, a former co-worker, etc? I feel like people are often very open to giving out help. They might be too busy with day-to-day stuff to actually meet up in person, but they might be open to answering a direct question over email, Facebook or Linkedin.

The people I've already talked to haven't been particularly helpful.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Apparently my property tax value went down like 15%. My guess is the last appraisal was at the height of the bubble or something. :confused:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Omne posted:

Random question, not sure if it fits in this thread or not. I'm a product manager for a large transportation and logistics company. I would like to move into software product management (well, it seems ALL PM work is now in software at this point), but a major sticking point is my lack of agile development experience. Agile only seems to make sense for software-type products or services. So, since my company uses the waterfall method of product development, what's the best way to gain some meaningful experience? I have lost out on several job opportunities for the sole reason that I lack agile experience. Frankly, it's getting frustrating. Like non-Agile PMs are obsolete now

Good news, as with most stuff, it's 90% bullshit. Agile means something different at every company that does it and the differences between "agile" and "waterfall" start to disappear once the sausage starts actually being made. Figure out a way to call your previous experience a hybrid approach that mixed the two or some poo poo, learn what a scrum is and such, done.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There has been a massive storm where I live disrupting all transport. I went to the movies to wait out the traffic backlog. I get home to find the Fire Service has taped off my back yard. Some of my lawn, shrubs and the like have been washed away and I live on a hill. Lost enough of my lawn that it's undermining the structure of my deck on one corner.

Hoping nothing else gets washed away before I get the insurance company's structural engineer out here to inspect. Hopefully it doesn't get worse overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Couple of questions:

Our home mortgage comes with a requirement that we have to open an account with the credit union and make payments from that account in order to get a 0.125% decrease in the loan. Most of the credit unions we spoke to offered that. However, this is a small, local credit union, so there are like two ATMs in the whole state. They have a "max checking" account that offers 3% APY up to $15k provided that I make 10 debit card purchases a month, set up direct deposit, and get e-statements. That seems like an obnoxious burden to make, at most, $450/yr. So, I'm more inclined to just open an account and set up an automatic transfer from B of A each month. Does that seem reasonable?

Also, is there a home ownership thread? I know there's one for home buying, but it would be nice to discuss home maintenance and DIY projects since I have little experience with either.