Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Acacia REI posted:

Pretty much this. I'll bitch and whine about certain things in this show, but overall I enjoy it and like following along or I just wouldn't watch it.
Me too.

Blazing Ownager posted:

As much as I'd like to side with the show "Carl's being an idiot and going to get everyone killed, he's being a dumb kid" actually... I can't. Negan walks around without a care in the world in his compound, too busy showing off to watch his back and Carl's a decent shot, or was. I mean if these were real people acting this dumb, I'd give him a 75% chance of success, honestly. Worse yet, it's precisely the right move, and it's actually kind of sad Carl has to be the one doing it. If like 3-4 of them cooperated on this the odds would be like 99% that would be Negan dead by dawn.

Again this has nothing to do with the heroes being smart, only the villain being incredibly stupid.

ED: The only person who might pick up the mantle is Ogg's character, without either of them I can't see Negan's alliance lasting 5 minutes before all the factions claim the throne and begin shooting each other over it instead.

Does Carl even have a gun?! In any case, I think one-eyed Carl and Jesus ninja-ing their way in and quickly dispatching Negan would be anti-climactic.
The season seems to be on a slow build up of the various communities Negan has been plundering, figuring out a way to work together and defeat him from the outside using tactical warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luvcow posted:

No I actually think it's a good show. It's ok to admit you like things. Maybe I'm just old but sometimes people in this thread sound like a car full of middle school kids saying they hate everything but hey please leave this song on because its so bad we love to hate it, we know every single word and we all own the album.

I appreciate everyone's input because its often funny, insightful and interesting. You won't find me in other tviv threads here telling people the shows they like suck because if i think something sucks i just don't watch it and feel no need to tell people what they like is bad.

:shrug:

Okay, maybe saying that TWD is bad is a bit harsh and unfair, esp in TWD thread. I really do enjoy watching it, but I'm just saying we aren't exactly eating grade-A meat here.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 23, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

And yet after wrecking said car he spends the rest of the time getting there on roller skates.

He's the son of the sheriff, never learned how to hotwire a car.

Blazing Ownager posted:

As much as I'd like to side with the show "Carl's being an idiot and going to get everyone killed, he's being a dumb kid" actually... I can't. Negan walks around without a care in the world in his compound, too busy showing off to watch his back and Carl's a decent shot, or was. I mean if these were real people acting this dumb, I'd give him a 75% chance of success, honestly. Worse yet, it's precisely the right move, and it's actually kind of sad Carl has to be the one doing it. If like 3-4 of them cooperated on this the odds would be like 99% that would be Negan dead by dawn.

Again this has nothing to do with the heroes being smart, only the villain being incredibly stupid.

ED: The only person who might pick up the mantle is Ogg's character, without either of them I can't see Negan's alliance lasting 5 minutes before all the factions claim the throne and begin shooting each other over it instead.

I don't resent the fact he's doing it, but i resent he has no plan and no weapons and invited the girl he likes to come with him get raped and murdered.

Binary Logic posted:

The season seems to be on a slow build up of the various communities Negan has been plundering, figuring out a way to work together and defeat him from the outside using tactical warfare.
They could being them to their knees simply by mining the roads they need to use to reach the other compounds. The Saviors can't just start murdering entire communities hoping they're hitting the right one and the guy they want happens to be there at the time.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 23, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Acacia REI posted:

Pretty much this. I'll bitch and whine about certain things in this show, but overall I enjoy it and like following along or I just wouldn't watch it.

I basically like most of the cast but hate half of the situations that get put in. It's a weird mix for me. I'm totally fine with the show being super dumb though, I liked kung fu Jesus and destruction derby Maggie taking their ludicrous situation super seriously.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Does Carl even have a gun?! In any case, I think one-eyed Carl and Jesus ninja-ing their way in and quickly dispatching Negan would be anti-climactic.

That's because Negan has massive plot armor, and the characters in-universe know he has massive plot armor and that's why they don't try anything.

That's the only way to explain anything about Negan.

MeLKoR posted:

They could being them to their knees simply by mining the roads they need to use to reach the other compounds. The Saviors can't just start murdering entire communities hoping they're hitting the right one and the guy they want happens to be there at the time.

They could go all insurgent and not only use IEDs but flat out suicide bombs, I mean, what the gently caress is Negan going to do is some crazy bastard he's taunting Lucille with turns out to have homemade explosives strapped to his chest?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

They could go all insurgent and not only use IEDs but flat out suicide bombs, I mean, what the gently caress is Negan going to do is some crazy bastard he's taunting Lucille with turns out to have homemade explosives strapped to his chest?

But then he can retaliate against his friends. Who is he going to retaliate against if one of his trucks full of thugs blows up a couple of miles down the road?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

my wife had a question goons: Where are they getting all their gasoline? Like, there were a lot of trucks there plus cars etc. At what point do they just run out of useable gasoline? It doesn't look like they're scavenging any of it.

Like Fitzy said, gas would be bad by now. But setting that aside, gas would be pretty easy for them to get in the quantities they need. They don't go very far from home, it seems like they just drive to a close by neighborhood, park, and then scout around on foot. They could be good for a long time just siphoning tanks from cars on the side of the road. I don't know how easy it is to bypass whatever security is in place to stop people from siphoning off the gas at a gas station's underground tanks, but once they did they'd be set for months off one station.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
In the boring show on BBC called Survivors, they had a scene where a guy tried to siphon gas. He ended up wasting all of it, it just went up in smoke

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

He's the son of the sheriff, never learned how to hotwire a car.

My dad was a cop. He was supposed to show me how to hotwire a car?? Man, he slacked off.

Where are the holiday specials? I grew up in the 80s. Every show should have a Thanksgiving themed episode and definitely a Christmas episode.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

cjg posted:

My dad was a cop. He was supposed to show me how to hotwire a car?? Man, he slacked off.

Where are the holiday specials? I grew up in the 80s. Every show should have a Thanksgiving themed episode and definitely a Christmas episode.

Negan dresses up as Santa while handing out gifts stolen from the communities, but he isn't very happy with some of his elves this year. Maggie, Sasha, and Jesus work together to find the best Christmas tree and set it up in the Hilltop village square to raise the people's spirits up. Gregory takes credit up it. Trevor knocks it down and says "Don't mind if I do!" Meanwhile, Rick and Michonne try to Christmas shop while scavenging for supplies and find some nice toys, but have to leave them behind as noisemakers to distract some walkers while they escape out the back. Eugene goes out and tries to work up the courage to kill a wild turkey. He ends up saving it from a walker clad in a shredded Christmas sweater and decides to keep it as a pet.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Negan watches from a hill as Alexandrians hold hands in a circle even through all of the strife, his heart grows 3 times bigger and he becomes a good guy and helps the communities. Series finale.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I think gas lasts longer than 3 or 4 months. They're on day 350 or something in the show, or somewhere on the second year of real time. I have gas for my mower and snowblower, not exactly the same thing as a car but it doesn't turn to gelatin after 6 months because I've used the same gas from previous seasons without noticeable impact.

Maybe someone with a chemistry background can get into the finer details.

I hope they do a time skip and have all of this gas nonsense sorted out with a working biofuel, but it's also not really an important part of the story. maybe 1/4 of the audience even notices it.

edit: And my dad's truck that has been sitting for about 5 or 8 years started up no problem after charging its battery.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 23, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How is Z Nation?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

My reply was basically " well, when all the zombos rot away, that's when gas will dry up"

But since negan relies on it so heavily you'd think they'd ration it a little better. Would be an easy way to cripple him.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

John F Bennett posted:

How is Z Nation?

I personally think it's very good (although the current plotline with Murphy isn't my favorite). It has its serious moments and balances it with goofy stuff that is at least self-aware, unlike The Walking Dead's dumbest moments.

Anyway re: gas, I think it's just one of those things you're going to have to brush under the rug and not think about too much because the show as it is can't really work without it. Groups would be forced to stay in place more and quickly run out of local resources, and unless they are somewhere fortified all it would take is one horde passing through and they're all dead, if not immediately then shortly after due to having to abandon their supplies. Since it's a comic show in the end meaning they can just make up whatever they want to keep the show/comic going, I guess if the writers felt like it they could make up some new mysterious group called The Gas Masters that are still running a refinery and they sell it to groups as their gas goes bad or something.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cjg posted:

My dad was a cop. He was supposed to show me how to hotwire a car?? Man, he slacked off.-

No, it was a straight joke, no fancy flourishes. Carl didn't learn how to hotwire a car because it would be unseemly for the son of the sheriff to go around town stealing cars. The humorous nature of the remark is intensified by the fact Carl was about eight when the world ended so it is unlikely his dad's profession had any bearing on his interest or ability in stealing cars.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My dad had a Ford cortina he left parked on a military base for 3 years for various reasons, with no issues beyond battery. For that matter, my brother is in the air force and everyone leaves their car parked up for 6+ months on deployment.

I've personally refuelled a car from a jerry-can that's been in a car boot for literal years.

The "gas goes bad in x months" thing isn't true. It "goes bad" in the sense it's octane will shift slightly, but other than messing up performance a bit and maybe running rough in bad cases, it'll be fine for a long rear end time. If it's left open it'll go bad faster, but in a tank? You'll be fine for ages.
I hear this mostly from Americans. I think y'all bought into a fuel stabilizer ad campaign or something.

I seriously want a throw-away line where someone mentions cars running rougher so this dumb thing stops coming up over and over.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I assume it would matter even less on old carb'd cars. My car only takes 91 or 93 so that might be an issue.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I assume it would matter even less on old carb'd cars. My car only takes 91 or 93 so that might be an issue.

And they do seem to gravitate towards older cars in this show. Not always, but they are starting to make a point of running older cars. They're easier to maintain without computers as well. Falling Skies did this a lot, and you see it in Z Nation as well.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

John F Bennett posted:

How is Z Nation?

It's a lot of fun to watch and a bit tongue in cheek, definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. Good stuff.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Luvcow posted:

I like to think that Carl didn't mean to hit that zombie he was just trying to drive to the saviors but after the whole fiasco with hitting things he saw Enid and just tried to roll with it

Given the darts going left, he was probably aiming for Enid.

"If I can break her legs, she'll stop running away. drat it! Ok play it cool Carl, look like a badass."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

John F Bennett posted:

How is Z Nation?

It's Sharknado if you replace Sharknados with zombies. C-level special effects, everyone hamming up the performances, any sense of realism out the window in favor of absurdity. It can be fun if that's your thing, but other than the undead it's a completely different show.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hobo Clown posted:

It's Sharknado if you replace Sharknados with zombies. C-level special effects, everyone hamming up the performances, any sense of realism out the window in favor of absurdity. It can be fun if that's your thing, but other than the undead it's a completely different show.

And despite all of this the characters do less stupid poo poo than the ones in TWD.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Didn't they even have a literal Z-nado in one episode?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Khablam posted:

I seriously want a throw-away line where someone mentions cars running rougher so this dumb thing stops coming up over and over.

Negan shows up asking for all their gas and Rick tells them it's all bad and not working now, leading to him Lucille-ing another person.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

cjg posted:

Didn't they even have a literal Z-nado in one episode?

They did, but to be fair so did TWD

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Khablam posted:

My dad had a Ford cortina he left parked on a military base for 3 years for various reasons, with no issues beyond battery. For that matter, my brother is in the air force and everyone leaves their car parked up for 6+ months on deployment.

I've personally refuelled a car from a jerry-can that's been in a car boot for literal years.

The "gas goes bad in x months" thing isn't true. It "goes bad" in the sense it's octane will shift slightly, but other than messing up performance a bit and maybe running rough in bad cases, it'll be fine for a long rear end time. If it's left open it'll go bad faster, but in a tank? You'll be fine for ages.
I hear this mostly from Americans. I think y'all bought into a fuel stabilizer ad campaign or something.

I bought a car that had literally been sitting in someone's driveway for nearly six years, untouched. It had old rotting leaves and poo poo in it from the tree hanging overhead, rubber parts had rotted/melted (which I didn't notice until a few days later when a belt broke), but the gas that was sitting inside the tank was good enough to start the car up and get me moving down the road.

So basically other poo poo will go wrong with a car before the gas in the tank goes bad. Tires, timing belt, battery, brakes and/or brake fluid, etc.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really like how people use bikes on this show. That's a great way to get around that kinda gets ignored in a lotta other post-breakdown scenarios.

Also, gas in sealed containers lasts pretty well. It can't oxidize if there isn't a lot of air there, can't get waterlogged if there's no air and humidity, and the volatilies have no place to go.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cycling is just about the most efficient way of travelling. Maybe doubly-so in their situation since the relative silence is such a boon.

So of course they can't find bikes or they'll have a plot hole where everyone doesn't just get on their bikes and ride away from Negan.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Amazingly, we've actually seen more horses than bicycles on this show

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I had never considered a bike with scythes on the front wheel before. That sounds like something for Jesus from what I keep reading.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

my wife had a question goons: Where are they getting all their gasoline? Like, there were a lot of trucks there plus cars etc. At what point do they just run out of useable gasoline? It doesn't look like they're scavenging any of it.

Gasoline trees.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
I was so excited to watch Enid effortlessly ride away from the zombie chasing after her and instead I got Coral ruining everything.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

While it really has not be established on screen. How much gas do you think an average fueling station has on hand?

Now put that in 55 gallon drums with a hand pump until needed.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Astroman posted:

And they do seem to gravitate towards older cars in this show. Not always, but they are starting to make a point of running older cars. They're easier to maintain without computers as well. Falling Skies did this a lot, and you see it in Z Nation as well.

Remember when they were driving around a pristine brand new Hyundai car for those sweet advertising dollars

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/11/23/walking-dead-ratings-lowest-theyve-ever-been.html

lol

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
If I enjoyed coral's acting and character I'd like to see a long con of him heeling to Negan to get close enough for a kill because of Rick becoming such bitch, but :shrug: they can do whatever.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looks like Kirkman is going to pad out the show material by including an extra community that was conspicuously only mentioned off-camera in the comics, Oceanside. It also looks like they might add another small group in a junkyard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

galenanorth posted:

It looks like Kirkman is going to pad out the show material by including an extra community that was conspicuously only mentioned off-camera in the comics, Oceanside. It also looks like they might add another small group in a junkyard.
That might be cool because I always wondered what adventures Michonne was off doing on that boat in the comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

coyo7e posted:

That might be cool because I always wondered what adventures Michonne was off doing on that boat in the comics

I wonder if this is tied to TWD: Michonne game. I just started it but she's living on a boat with some other survivors (so far)