Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

I put her with Zeke immediate returners upside. Give her a couple years to recover from a ridiculous experience, and maybe with life experience and some age at her back she could be very good. At the very least, she improved on her last showing without the luxury of being able to see her game.

Did she improve though? That terrible attempt to get Brad to go fishing is what I view as just her generally bad game. I'm surprised she got voted out because it seemed like she was getting carried to the end by others so they could beat her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think one cute thing at the Andrea TC is that Sarah was all 'this jury is gonna respect big moves', because she was clearly influenced by being on Tony's season. And then Aubry and Tai shake their heads and go, 'you need to make relationships', because they lost to a player who did exactly that.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Sarah as a winner. She'd be a deserving winner if she gets to the end, even if I'm not sold on her social play. But there's something about her that's not got me excited. Maybe it was her lackluster exit in her first season.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
This play was the only way for Sarah to guarantee she didn't get voted out. With the caveat that she had to trust that Brad and Troyzan would do anything to dig out from the bottom and earn at least a temporary ally. They were definitely a better port in a storm.

If she didn't use the vote steal, she could have gotten schooled by a Cirie-Michaela-Aubry-Tai vote, and she really just wanted to make 6 to guarantee she gets to use her Legacy.

Was Tai the "rat" Cirie was trying to expose?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Why did Cirie vote for Aubry?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was likely Tai yeah. I don't think that was a great move for Cirie either. Even if it had worked, she'd have burned bridges with Sarah (and possibly Aubry). And while the viewer would appreciate voting out a person with two idols, nobody knows that Tai has those idols unless he tells the rest of the jury. So it wouldn't have looked like as big as a move as it would actually have been to the jury.

I think Cirie still has a shot of winning, her social game is arguably the best out of the three winner contenders (Brad, Cirie, Sarah). Brad has a lot of friends on the jury, which will sway things, and he's won two big immunities, but he's not actually done much in terms of strategy other than having Sierra as a shield. The problem Cirie has now is that nobody's going to be working with her other than maybe Aubry, and when you're the least likely person remaining to win immunity, she's going to have to pull off some Micronesia-level gameplay to make it to FTC.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
once again a young black person eliminated by a white police officer with a grudge

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Poque posted:

Why did Cirie vote for Aubry?

Stray vote to avoid going to rocks in case a bunch of idols started flying around, I'd guess.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they keep
letting the guys stick around :geno:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/aubrybracco/status/865221801445658624

The black widow :black101:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Aubry has realised that the only way to guarantee screentime is to talk about Cochran :barf:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pinterest Mom posted:

they keep
letting the guys stick around :geno:

Troyzan's a goat, Tai's effectively a goat (if a potentially dangerous one), and Brad won two immunities in three challenges. So it was a little dumb to vote out Andrea that one time he was vulnerable, but eh.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just watched last night's episode. Holy poo poo.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This has to be the most inept cast since The Cult of Boston Rob.

I hope that in future returnee seasons, the "biggest threats" realize they need to stick together at least until merge or get picked off one by one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It was likely Tai yeah. I don't think that was a great move for Cirie either. Even if it had worked, she'd have burned bridges with Sarah (and possibly Aubry). And while the viewer would appreciate voting out a person with two idols, nobody knows that Tai has those idols unless he tells the rest of the jury. So it wouldn't have looked like as big as a move as it would actually have been to the jury.

I mean, I think there was some merit to Cirie's idea that when Sarah saw the votes for her she'd realize Cirie's was right and saved her so she'd forgive it. But that's a big risk as the whole move was. Cirie definitely got carried away with herself and did way more than she had to. I'd guess it was less about saving Sarah or getting out Tai as it was to make a big flashy show of saving Sarah in front of the jury to prove later that she's the alpha of the pair. And Sarah seems astute enough that even if she WAS grateful for Cirie saving her she'd still see her as a bigger threat for it.

It was a bad overplay for Cirie.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think one cute thing at the Andrea TC is that Sarah was all 'this jury is gonna respect big moves', because she was clearly influenced by being on Tony's season. And then Aubry and Tai shake their heads and go, 'you need to make relationships', because they lost to a player who did exactly that.
It's a funny thing where Sarah is clearly playing the way she is because she watched Tony win her season, while Tai and Aubry have the Michelle win in their minds. A fine example of how there's not one way to win the game, you have to play the other players. I don't know which of them is right but odds are someone is going to be at Final Council surprised that things didn't play like their first season.

The weird thing was Andrea saying the game is about personal relationships when shes (a) played a very big moves game and (b) seemed to not have great personal relationships. I'd be very curious to see Andrea at a Final Council just to see what the tribe thought of her gameplay. It felt very mixed up to me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If Sarah had Cirie voted out then, Sarah would be gone before the finals.

Cirie is the meatshield before Final Tribal Council.

I'm kind of thinking this finale is a final 6 because they wanted to get Cirie in the final episode to make sure the viewers are as high as possible. There's a lot of fans who are rooting for Cirie. I think CBS is worried they'll drop off if she's gone before the finale.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2017

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

the truth posted:

Sarah is annoying as hell and I hope she get kicked off at 5.

:hf: Girl has no personality whatsoever and I don't think she expected or initially intended to trap Cirie. She just magooed her way into that scenario. I'm not giving her credit for poo poo just yet.

I'm definitely bummed that Cirie didn't read the fine print. I don't think it's as big of a misstep as it appears to be though.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Zesty posted:

I'm kind of thinking this finale is a final 6 because they wanted to get Cirie in the final episode to make sure the viewers are as high as possible. There's a lot of fans who are rooting for Cirie. I think CBS is worried they'll drop off if she's gone before the finale.

I've been thinking the same thing. Seems like we're pretty well set up for Cirie to get bounced 30 minutes into the finale.

also I'm team not-Sarah because her intensely frank style of Midwest copspeak is unsettling. Anyone but Sarah.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

I hope this same logic applies to Jay last season, and Kimmi from Cambodia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

I had to go check the wiki. Seems those were final 6 finales as well. There goes that theory.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hey, Jay was a fantastic castaway. He and Adam had one of the coolest dynamics on the show.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Poque posted:

Hey, Jay was a fantastic castaway. He and Adam had one of the coolest dynamics on the show.

I'm not saying any of them were bad, I'm saying there probably isn't a VAST CONSPIRACY to keep all three of those people on an extra episode of the show.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

Kimmi was practically invisible til F6 though, the only thing she did before the finale was get angry at Monica over clams.

But F6 finales have been a thing for a while now.

I feel like the last few seasons have actually been showing another evolution in favour of the social win. Michele is the biggest example, but Jeremy also won with a great social game (and sitting next to an emotionless gamebot and Tasha). MvG bucked the trend, but it's a bit of an outlier and Ken and Hannah were both kinda social misfits anyway.

If Sarah loses to Brad or Cirie, I expect there'd be a lot of people saying she was robbed, the same as Aubry. But I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm getting the Aubry read from her, she's good at staying in the middle and flipping when necessary, and she's even made some decent bonds. But I think she's burned too many bridges, and I don't think she's taking credit for her moves in a way that makes her look good. In the eyes of some of the jurors, she's flipped on Debbie for no real reason. She flipped on Zeke. She lied to Sierra's face just so she could get an advantage. All of them are valid moves, but considering that she has never been in danger until recently, they could be seen as rocking the boat which didn't need to be rocked, and if she can't please the jury, she might not win their votes.

Binary Logic posted:

I hope that in future returnee seasons, the "biggest threats" realize they need to stick together at least until merge or get picked off one by one.

Tony/Sandra were gonna be a thing til Tony did Tony things. J.T./Malcolm/Sandra went south. Cirie never had to go to TC. Ozzy made it to the merge, but then got ousted because he's Ozzy.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 19, 2017

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I hate that they have gone so overboard with keeping us in the dark, just so that the vote is always a "woah #blindside"

Given what we were shown it made no sense to steal Sarah's vote. Risked a 3-3-1 tie or even a loss.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's basically hopeless for Aubry to win here, now that she's been clowned on nearly every merge vote, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Considering how much Aubry's seemed blindsided this season I think I'd be actively mad if she somehow won. A Troyzan win would make more sense to me. And I like Aubry.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They also probably would be devoting a lot more airtime to her story if she won, because repeatedly being on the outside but hanging on would make for a pretty compelling arc if she pulled through somehow.

Based on what they showed in the last episode, she's still the same person that was a huge character in Kaoh Rong. Most of the time, though, she's just felt like someone the show hasn't had time for

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

also I'm team not-Sarah because her intensely frank style of Midwest copspeak is unsettling. Anyone but Sarah.

I love that Cirie, and Michaela by the end, always call her Officer Sarah. You can feel the mistrust.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is great. Poor Aubrey.

--

I really like Andrea. She was probably playing a dead hand from the merge since basically her whole alliance had this date marked on their calendar for getting her out, and I doubt she would have fared much better flipping over to Brad's side.

Also I really like Michela. I feel like if she comes back in a few years and can adopt a little more subtlety she can win it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rick posted:

This is great. Poor Aubrey.

--

I really like Andrea. She was probably playing a dead hand from the merge since basically her whole alliance had this date marked on their calendar for getting her out, and I doubt she would have fared much better flipping over to Brad's side.

I think it's more of an "alliance" than an alliance. It's been vastly more successful at getting its own members out than the opposing alliance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zesty posted:

If Sarah had Cirie voted out then, Sarah would be gone before the finals.

Cirie is the meatshield before Final Tribal Council.

Yes, next week is the finale from the preview.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

Michaela: No. This is what happened. Sarah pointed out the non-transferrable. Here’s the deal. Sarah’s really smart. She told Cirie in the middle of the day that she would give Cirie that advantage. And then she didn’t give Cirie the advantage until moments before Tribal Council. That’s why Cirie never had a chance to open it or read it for herself. Sarah knew it was non-transferrable the whole time. That was like a gameplay in itself on her part. At Tribal Council, when she sees Cirie whip it out, she sits there to wait to see what Cirie would do with it, and then she goes, “Uh uh, Jeff! It says it’s non-transferrable.” And then we had a whole conversation on what does that mean. It seemed like Jeff was under the impression that Cirie could actually use it. And then Troyzan did say: “But non-transferrable does mean non-transferrable.” And that’s when Cirie had to read it again, and Jeff said, “Well, I guess that does mean it’s non-transferrable, so you have to give it back to Sarah.” It’s not that Troyzan pointed it out, but it seemed like Jeff was going one way, and then he went the other way, and Troyzan may have had something to do with that. Who knows. I would have been happier if he didn’t say anything! (Laughs.)

Alright I'll have to give Sarah props on this one. It also made Cirie look slightly less bad since she didn't really have time to read it, even though her move was still reaching.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Looked great to the jury.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That entire Michaela exit interview is a good read; she seems self-aware about her flaws as a player and has some good insights about how she couldn't connect with most of the cast on an interpersonal level

I do like that one of the defining parts of her Survivor philosophy is "this is a hard game, and we shouldn't do a bunch of complicated poo poo just to do it." Based on how drained people seem to be this season, it seems like a relatable approach.

quote:

Brad, Troyzan, Aubry and Tai were trying to get together to vote for Sarah. But Aubry and Tai were the weird ones. What ended up happening is either Aubry or Tai backed out of the plan, and then it was a race of who is going to get to Sarah first and let her know. Aubry gets to Cirie, and Cirie thinks that she needs to tell Sarah what Aubry just told her. Cirie trusts Aubry, but Sarah trusts Tai. Now Cirie wants to get rid of Tai for some reason. Cirie becomes hellbent on getting rid of Tai, to the point that she wants to take Sarah’s advantage and steal Sarah’s vote just to vote out Tai. It’s just too much. But we hungry at this point. I don’t know. (Laughs.) It’s just too much extra.

https://parade.com/572454/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-michaela-bradshaw-exit-interview/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ha! I hadn't made the connection between the alliance Michaela missed pouting and the one that caused all the drama this past episode. That's funny.

Michaela's got a good attitude about it. "I could be mad at Cirie but she saved me earlier" and "I could be mad at Sarah but I wanted to betray her" and "I lost my cool and made mistakes so I can't be mad at others doing it" are all good and healthy ways to look at the game. Its tough she can't seem to find that composure during the game, but easier said than done.

I'll always have a little doubt about a Survivor who comes out saying "I was right and I didn't want to do that, it was all the other person." So, you know, I don't know about that. But she's not wrong that Cirie overplayed and that sometimes its smarter to just not complicate things. Michaela's always shown herself to have a good, stable game head on her shoulders. She just lets her emotions get the best of her, and doesn't seem to have much of a social game. To her credit she seems to recognize that.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, all of Michaela's exit interviews are great, but her insistence that the numbers just didn't really add up in Cirie's plan isn't necessarily true. The following scenario is consistent with everything in the episode and with what Michaela said and the numbers still make sense: Tai/Brad/Troyzan were all voting Sarah thinking Cirie and/or Aubry were ALSO voting Sarah, Sarah was voting Aubry, and Cirie/Michaela/Aubry were voting Tai. That's 3-3-1 vote, and Sarah is refusing to budge, and if Tai/Brad/Troyzan find out about this they will potentially just join Sarah and vote out Aubry 4-3 (or force a rock draw since they don't have much to lose). If that's all the case (or even if Cirie THOUGHT it was the case), the only way to save both Sarah and Aubry is to steal a vote to get Tai out with 4 total votes, and if Cirie steals anyone besides Sarah's vote, Tai will know Cirie is stealing a vote against Sarah and will know something is up and play an idol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Arcanen posted:

I think it's more of an "alliance" than an alliance. It's been vastly more successful at getting its own members out than the opposing alliance.

Yeah that's a good point. And that's definitely in part her fault since she was the first to bring up "eh, you know, we can just get out ___ later." Although it really didn't seem like anyone was up to Pagaong on either side.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I think the biggest let down from Michaela was her challenge play. She looked dominant in her season, yet was rarely a factor this season. It's like the least important aspect of a Survivor skill set, but she did nothing that stands out in my mind, was on as many losing immunity challenge teams as anyone else, and was never really a threat to win any individual immunity. Andrea looked like a far better competitor, maybe not as physically gifted, but more challenge savvy. Again, super unimportant for the most part, but it was part of her allure in her season.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think i like Brad for the finals if he can get there. even over Sarah.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Michaela's got a good attitude about it. "I could be mad at Cirie but she saved me earlier" and "I could be mad at Sarah but I wanted to betray her" and "I lost my cool and made mistakes so I can't be mad at others doing it" are all good and healthy ways to look at the game. Its tough she can't seem to find that composure during the game, but easier said than done.

Michaela gets a lot of love in here, and she does appear to have a lot of capability for introspection and adaptation as her exit demonstrates (her unsatisfying YouTube/Podcast things notwithstanding). It's incredibly frustrating to watch her demonstrate exactly zero of that tranquil wisdom on-island, though. It was painful to watch her get managed by Cirie.

Still, it was amazingly fitting that she was eliminated with the advantage that should have been hers, if but for her temper. And it was used against her because of chaos caused by Cirie, no less!

Altogether I hope she never comes back. For her own sake and ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

So best move for Tai is play his two idols back to back at this point, yeah?

• Locked thread