Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even as a tough love scenario you don't want it to happen; the US will learn absolutely zero lessons from this and it doesn't matter how high the bodies are stacked. God drat we are a stupid people

Yeah any sort of lesson-learned scenario has to take in to account the right wing media ecosphere that WILL pump Fox poison in to every supporter's brain. No amount of self-induced suffering, no matter how directly and obviously a result of their own actions and the actions of their leaders, will break that cycle. It's just not possible, it does not matter how direct a line you can draw between them. Any anger that comes from their situation will be redirected by the fascist leadership on to targeted minorities and political opposition as a means of seizing more and more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Balkanization doesn't work, because the political divide isn't geographical region vs geographical region.

It's urban vs rural. which means we have a long period of spiraling street level violence until we bottom out as a failed state like Somalia (which, until very recently was actually making great progress digging itself out)

eventually warlords will establish their own little fiefdoms, and build them up into regional empires. But that will take a while.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A lot of the Dem types I know (the ones making six figures who didn't like student debt forgiveness because it doesn't help them) are saying right now all focus has to be on getting through the crisis and deal with the rest later. Onus is on Trump and GOP governors, we can't be mad at Dems in Congress or ask more of them due to pandemic. Hopefully our elected Congressional leaders aren't thinking this way because holy poo poo the GOP is going long game on this one.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

all focus has to be on getting through the crisis and deal with the rest later.

Deja vu?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Balkanization doesn't work, because the political divide isn't geographical region vs geographical region.

It's urban vs rural. which means we have a long period of spiraling street level violence until we bottom out as a failed state like Somalia (which, until very recently was actually making great progress digging itself out)

eventually warlords will establish their own little fiefdoms, and build them up into regional empires. But that will take a while.

You say this like it's a bad thing.
I can't wait to live in the California Love music video.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
China increases its Wuhan death toll by 50 per cent after reassessing cases

quote:

“In the early stage, due to limited hospital capacity and the shortage of medical staff, a few medical institutions failed to connect with local disease control and prevention systems in a timely manner, which resulted in delayed reporting of confirmed cases and some failures to count patients accurately,” state media cited an unidentified Wuhan official as saying.

quote:

“Medical workers at some facilities might have been preoccupied with saving lives and there existed delayed reporting, underreporting or misreporting, but there has never been any cover-up and we do not allow cover-ups,” he said.

Too busy SAVING LIVES to count numbers like some number crunching nerd

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

A lot of the Dem types I know (the ones making six figures who didn't like student debt forgiveness because it doesn't help them) are saying right now all focus has to be on getting through the crisis and deal with the rest later. Onus is on Trump and GOP governors, we can't be mad at Dems in Congress or ask more of them due to pandemic. Hopefully our elected Congressional leaders aren't thinking this way because holy poo poo the GOP is going long game on this one.

He says, nervously tugging his collar as Joe 'My Republican colleagues will come to their senses' Biden is the presumptive nominee.

That crowd is absolutely not going to help us they are screamingly desperate to pull a 'We must look forward not backward' pardoning spree after the bad man is out of office. They want to get back to the status quo, nothing more. Nothing has changed for them in the last few decades except one person started using the mean words. They're still comfortable living in the penthouse suite, the smoke hasn't reached them yet and everyone screaming while burning to death is beneath them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

PeterCat posted:

Oh, keep in mind Trump is using this emergency to send more and more troops to the border, even though the flow of migrants has slowed to a trickle.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/add...tbreak-1.624512

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/us-troops-remain-at-southern-border-despite-waning-migration-as-coronavirus-spreads-elsewhere-1.623474

My favorite is the second article where it says troops have literally been used for area beautification to make the wall look better.

It also costs a fortune to send soldiers to the border, many of them are being housed in hotels.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/juliannasterlin/status/1249535858614640640

CrabDad tried to warn us; we just never listened until it was too late.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Mustang posted:

It also costs a fortune to send soldiers to the border, many of them are being housed in hotels.

Holey smokes! Could you imagine spending like $200 per person per night on housing! And they would need like $50 at least to eat per day too! Then they wouldn't be homeless.

It's amazing to me that US soldiers think that this is a scandalous misuse of resources, out of all the misuses of resources. How are we going to save that $200 per person in hotel costs, dammit! So much money down the toilet.

*Another dozen hotel corporations file for bankruptcy

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Why is it senior enlisted all seem to contract a case of brain worms once they hit E7?

At that point they've spent more time in the military than they did as a civilian, they're fully institutionalized.

quote:

People without brain worms get out and become productive humans in the real world.

Also this.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

When I had access to personnel records I looked up the ASVABs for my unit's senior enlisted and there was a correlation between E7 to E9 having a lower score on average than 1 to 6. E9 had, on average, the lowest. Sure they had the smallest sample pool but it was also the most pronounced drop. Go figure!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sometimes I wonder if there are alternatives to limiting the military's talent pool by only promoting from within and then remember what a shitshow the euro nobility extra-son-dumping-ground officer corps were in WW1

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there are alternatives to limiting the military's talent pool by only promoting from within and then remember what a shitshow the failson officer corps were in WW1

This thinking results in Pete Buttgieg direct comissioning as an O-3 based on an MBA

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Holey smokes! Could you imagine spending like $200 per person per night on housing! And they would need like $50 at least to eat per day too! Then they wouldn't be homeless.

It's amazing to me that US soldiers think that this is a scandalous misuse of resources, out of all the misuses of resources. How are we going to save that $200 per person in hotel costs, dammit! So much money down the toilet.

*Another dozen hotel corporations file for bankruptcy

Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

This thinking results in Pete Buttgieg direct comissioning as an O-3 based on an MBA

That's not how Navy direct appointments work for intel; he started as an Ensign. You only come in at higher O pay ranks if you're in medical or JAG

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Woofer posted:

Normal people

This exchange is amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/darth_erogenous/status/1251577016220110849

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.
I can't wait to live in the California Love music video.

Sorry man, that's what I'm trying to say. You and me don't get to play Wasteland Weekend IRL, thats for the younger folks later.

We get to grind our way down through a dumber version of the Troubles.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

maffew buildings posted:

A lot of the Dem types I know (the ones making six figures who didn't like student debt forgiveness because it doesn't help them) are saying right now all focus has to be on getting through the crisis and deal with the rest later.

i'm sure the president is grateful for their support in these trying times

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mustang posted:

So, our small unit was supposed to go to the SW border for 180 days this year, till the DoD and Guard Bureau decided that there was no money available. AZ was programmed to have a certain amount for the mission, as is NM. NM doesn't support the mission as population and government are more blue than AZ, so in times past the NM money has been used in AZ. This year the powers that be decided they weren't doing that, and as AZ had already spent its money, our mobilization was canceled. Doesn't break my heart.

Now I get a phone call saying I'm supposed to go to the SW border for a year on Title 10 orders. I've contemplated spending a year in AZ by myself without my family and watching my son grow up via Skype and have decided if I have to go I'm moving them down there with me. IDGAF if I have to still maintain a hotel room, or if it's an unaccompanied tour, what are they going to do, try to tell my wife she can't move there?

Not to mention I think the whole mission is asinine and is something that at most the Customs and Border Protection should be doing. For the NG it's busy work to try to stay relevant.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/adamwren/status/1251587885322690560?s=20

I hate all of these loving people so very much

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

I hope he elaborates because I think I agree, but am not 100% sure where he was going. I think he's saying that TAD costs are over emphasized compared to a lot of the other insane expenses by the DoD. I'd be interested in data on that and might dig through GAO in a bit to try and find it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Sorry man, that's what I'm trying to say. You and me don't get to play Wasteland Weekend IRL, thats for the younger folks later.

We get to grind our way down through a dumber version of the Troubles.

Bad Thing?
https://youtu.be/ehukpdse8_w

I'm kidding of course. poo poo is worrisome.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Well, you won't stay clean, so we've got to make you clean.

With water cannons.

Oh please, break out the water cannons.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
SOAPY water cannons.

For Corona.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Cleanse with fire :colbert:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wasabi the J posted:

SOAPY water cannons.

For Corona.

Soapies are not authorized under social distancing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ethylene oxide is a good sterilizing agent and applied in gas form.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

Ethylene oxide is a good sterilizing agent and applied in gas form.

Wishing death on people is gross and hosed up. Try being a better person.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

No

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chichevache posted:

Wishing death on people asking for it though, is another story.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

PeterCat posted:

So, our small unit was supposed to go to the SW border for 180 days this year, till the DoD and Guard Bureau decided that there was no money available. AZ was programmed to have a certain amount for the mission, as is NM. NM doesn't support the mission as population and government are more blue than AZ, so in times past the NM money has been used in AZ. This year the powers that be decided they weren't doing that, and as AZ had already spent its money, our mobilization was canceled. Doesn't break my heart.

Now I get a phone call saying I'm supposed to go to the SW border for a year on Title 10 orders. I've contemplated spending a year in AZ by myself without my family and watching my son grow up via Skype and have decided if I have to go I'm moving them down there with me. IDGAF if I have to still maintain a hotel room, or if it's an unaccompanied tour, what are they going to do, try to tell my wife she can't move there?

Not to mention I think the whole mission is asinine and is something that at most the Customs and Border Protection should be doing. For the NG it's busy work to try to stay relevant.

It's a huge waste of resources and time. Having had to arrange and pay for barracks space on multiple installations, the units on the border are spending more per day on housing than they would in a month if they could stay in govt facilities. I'm not sure if it's changed now but last year those funds were coming out of unit budgets, including sister units that weren't even sending people to the border.

Despite losing literally millions of dollars I'm sure it didn't have an impact on unit status reports.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1250728138327261185?s=19

Hey this time they can't actually say the milk can't be pasteurized on time!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Really hoping whatever this idiocy is self-corrects itself.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If only there were people who needed food and a sort of structure, a government that can coordinate with state and local governments and maybe departments that oversee agriculture, to ensure that those crops were being used to feed people and pay the farmers for them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Really hoping whatever this idiocy is self-corrects itself.

It won't until covid effects all of their lives personally. People like that are very much ones that need proof on a personal scale before they realize they've been acting like clowns. If they even learn from that.

See also: evangelical preachers

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Spray them with corona (the beer), making them feel sticky and gross and prefer to go home for a change of clothes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Spray them with sugar water and unleash bees instead.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

maffew buildings posted:

If only there were people who needed food and a sort of structure, a government that can coordinate with state and local governments and maybe departments that oversee agriculture, to ensure that those crops were being used to feed people and pay the farmers for them.

Look at you, thinking that it's the government's job to take care of its citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

my roommate's friend works for a construction firm in the great lakes. their owner said on a conference call that the younger guys have nothing to worry about, the coronavirus was made by the dems to kill people his age so they'll all go vote for democrats.

they won't learn. there's not reasoning with and they won't come to their senses. everyone operating off this misguided premise of "the GOP and all these people will come to their senses and see we are right" are going to loving doom us all. i can't help but wonder if the loving DNC and their lockstep voters are just thinking "surely they'll admit we are right" and exist in wait of the day they are validated by the other team or whatever. man we're hosed.