Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the good peeps can't fight worth poo poo and the peeps who can fight aren't good. that's war, baybee

unlike 40k, plenty of good peeps in aos. they're just noncombatants lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
what are halflings like in AoS?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

You can sum up the Idoneth as, they are literally God's Mistake, and they're going to make that everyone else's problem.

And they are also going to make giant sharks everyone else's problem.

Like Idoneth are the one thing I gotta say AoS did great, no notes, hosed up deep sea albino soul-impaired elves. All the scariest poo poo about the Dark Eldar but you still feel sorry for them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

midnight77 posted:

no lore, no indications that they're dead or still around

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they are also going to make giant sharks everyone else's problem.

Like Idoneth are the one thing I gotta say AoS did great, no notes, hosed up deep sea albino soul-impaired elves. All the scariest poo poo about the Dark Eldar but you still feel sorry for them.

I don't feel sorry for them. They're pricks.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

midnight77 posted:

I can't find the pic but theres a slannesh dude big into gluttony with a very obviously hosed up little halfing guy serving him

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gluttos

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Hedonites-Of-Slaanesh-Glutos-Orscollion-Lord-Of-Gluttony-2020

it's difficult to tell if the little dude is a chaos halfling or a demon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Benagain posted:

I can't find the pic but theres a slannesh dude big into gluttony with a very obviously hosed up little halfing guy serving him

I think he's a homunculus

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I think he's a homunculus

I'm the hosed up little dude

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone loves a hosed up little dude

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Benagain posted:

It's funny how Sigmar is kind of "what if the emperor was actually a well meaning dude who hated chaos and wanted everyone to get along but still massively overconfident"

Because you go from "goddammit you xenophobic rear end in a top hat could you stop killing everything not human by your definition for one second and maybe not be a douche?!" To "goddammit I know times are desperate but why are you allying with the worst loving people"

Wait, are you suggesting making an alliance with Grimdark Seketor was not a smart move? :crossarms:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also the Emperor being basically a walking case of psychic schizophrenia makes a lot of sense considering that backstory that's never been brought up directly but HAS been alluded to about them being the result of an ancient ritual of a large number of psychic shamans committing suicide to merge into one. And they may well have added more over the aeons. Having been everywhere and done everything and tried everything probably makes things extra weird after a while.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
brought up fairly straightforwardly but like 30 years ago. there were space marine half-elves 30 years ago and the primarchs were just normal space marines, so a lot's changed

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also the Emperor being basically a walking case of psychic schizophrenia makes a lot of sense considering that backstory that's never been brought up directly but HAS been alluded to about them being the result of an ancient ritual of a large number of psychic shamans committing suicide to merge into one. And they may well have added more over the aeons. Having been everywhere and done everything and tried everything probably makes things extra weird after a while.

Didn't they retcon that bit?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Gripweed posted:

that new Age of Sigmar box looks pretty cool. The Skaven stuff is fun as always and I think they finally nailed Stormcast

That Stormcast owns. The AoS setting doesn't speak to me at all, but holy poo poo are some of the models insanely cool

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Do they have bananas in 40k?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have ploins, which are the only fruit that gets mentioned multiple times. supposed to be plum-looking thing but with green skin. mentioned multiple times wrt tanith, the koronus expanse and cain's subsector, which are each like half a galaxy from each other, so widespread

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 20, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Do they have bananas in 40k?

Bananas are heresy. Also can't be trademarked, which is also heresy.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bananas are about to go extinct any minute now from Panama disease, hard to imagine they make it another 38 milleniums

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they have ploins, which are the only fruit that gets mentioned multiple times. supposed to be plum-looking thing. mentioned multiple times wrt tanith, the koronus expanse and cain's subsector, which are each like half a galaxy from each other, so widespread

lol ploins

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

the ttrps also mention ploinjuice, apparently popular

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Smugworth posted:

Bananas are about to go extinct any minute now from Panama disease, hard to imagine they make it another 38 milleniums

that's grim

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
watchers on the throne mention shrivelled grapes that are each individually worth more than a human life

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The Catachan Brainleaf, a large, semi-sentient shrub that can release parasitic leaves that overtake a victim's nervous system to turn them into living puppets (and eventually fertilizer), reportedly has really tasty berries that you can totally pick without being turned into a mindless thrall

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, are you suggesting making an alliance with Grimdark Seketor was not a smart move? :crossarms:

*Exasperated Sigmar voice* look AT THE TIME it was everyone fighting the gods that eat souls for fun and he at least wanted the souls to go in the right direction! Also how else was I gonna make the storm cast immortal!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really do enjoy that a major element of the plot of Age of Sigmar is that the god of death is pissed that people keep coming up with new uses for souls.

naem
May 29, 2011

so having to explain the concept of a sword and sorcery fantasy setting and then explain what a table top game is, and then explain the backstory of “in this brand name setting the important names are Teclis and Sigmar and so-n-so, now Teclis he’s an elf see? An elf is a fantasy race that blah blah”

that’s already kind of a stretch, but people know about the LOTR movies so it’s doable. It’s familiar.

AOS is “ok so the settings and name, got it? straight forward and generic? Ok so, FORGET ALL THAT haha YEAH! We put it in BLENDER baby!! So these new guys, they WORSHIP a GIANT STOMACH haha ok remember Teclis? Well he and the GOD of FARTS they blah blah BLAH BLAH”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"it's planescape but warhammer". that goes well for the grognards who actually spend money on warhams. figurines is a whale business, there's like dozens of randoes who buy like one figurine for $40 or whatever then a nutjob who buys $25k in figurines

thats why quantity of lore is so important

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Based on GW's other product lines, going from a nonsense story to a less-nonsense story is not without precedence.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

"it's planescape but warhammer". that goes well for the grognards who actually spend money on warhams. figurines is a whale business, there's like dozens of randoes who buy like one figurine for $40 or whatever then a nutjob who buys $25k in figurines

That sold it to me, but I was under the impression that the Warhammer world blew up and everyone was fighting over floating space rocks that were circling the void, which was really unappealing. I can vibe a lot more with what we got.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Smugworth posted:

Nah, probably just the Cavendish variety. (assuming current attempts at gene editing to improve resistance to the fungus killing them doesn't work out.)

But it happened to Gros Michels before and they'll just popularize a variety. Be good if we learned our lesson cause there's over 1000 varieties of banana some of which sound pretty awesome!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gene poo poo is the one thing the imperium is depicted as being consistently good at

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

naem posted:

so having to explain the concept of a sword and sorcery fantasy setting and then explain what a table top game is, and then explain the backstory of “in this brand name setting the important names are Teclis and Sigmar and so-n-so, now Teclis he’s an elf see? An elf is a fantasy race that blah blah”

that’s already kind of a stretch, but people know about the LOTR movies so it’s doable. It’s familiar.

AOS is “ok so the settings and name, got it? straight forward and generic? Ok so, FORGET ALL THAT haha YEAH! We put it in BLENDER baby!! So these new guys, they WORSHIP a GIANT STOMACH haha ok remember Teclis? Well he and the GOD of FARTS they blah blah BLAH BLAH”

Those seem like bad examples for your point. Teclis was an elf wizard in Fantasy, in AoS he’s ascended to become an elf god. “Telcos is an elf god” doesn’t seem that much harder to grasp than “Teclis is an elf wizard. And in AoS the ogres do worship the Great Maw, but in Fantasy they worshipped the Gulping God. That’s basically the same thing, if anything the AoS one is slightly less silly.

I do agree with your larger point that Fantasy was a combination of existing fantasy tropes played basically straight, while AoS remixed a lot of those ideas to create something much more unique, but I disagree that that’s bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gene poo poo is the one thing the imperium is depicted as being consistently good at

Only because they are completely fine with a very high failure rate.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

I love planescape and loved the old world. I had written off and been ignoring AoS entirely until you and several others in this thread made the comparison. Shame it took so long.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that said, its still warhammer, so they cut the philosophy content by 95%. but you want portals, there's some portals

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

Those seem like bad examples for your point. Teclis was an elf wizard in Fantasy, in AoS he’s ascended to become an elf god. “Telcos is an elf god” doesn’t seem that much harder to grasp than “Teclis is an elf wizard. And in AoS the ogres do worship the Great Maw, but in Fantasy they worshipped the Gulping God. That’s basically the same thing, if anything the AoS one is slightly less silly.

I do agree with your larger point that Fantasy was a combination of existing fantasy tropes played basically straight, while AoS remixed a lot of those ideas to create something much more unique, but I disagree that that’s bad.

I don't think it's bad, but it feels... video gamey? And I'm really tired of multiverses/multidimensional stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

I don't think it's bad, but it feels... video gamey? And I'm really tired of multiverses/multidimensional stuff.

It’s not a multiverse, the Realms all orbit each other in space. It’s just that only the lizard men have spaceships so everybody else has to use portals.

It is a little video gamey but, like, what if you had to live in the lava level and grow crops and go to school there and stuff.

naem
May 29, 2011

the minis look fantastic I am just wearing my nostalgia goggles for the thing I already know

also imagining the convo trying to explain this hobby to an outsider is always fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are the realms planet spheres or are the realms planet pancakes (flat earth)?