Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
That macro is a good example of how sidetracked we get when we focus legalistically on "rights" instead of articulating and discussing actual policy goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Mornacale posted:

That macro is a good example of how sidetracked we get when we focus legalistically on "rights" instead of articulating and discussing actual policy goals.

That sounds un-American to me. :911:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Since some of us started to make fake bullshit to forward, I made this one today:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Of course, five seconds on google would tell anybody who was curious that he bought the guns to see how the background check system works and doesn't actually want to ban guns but facts are stupid and liberal. gently caress you mark.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

Sprecherscrow posted:

What the gently caress is the point of this? Is the 1st amendment a left wing pet issue to this guy?

But, we do control what gets put on TV with censorship laws, the FCC, timing rules. The internet is a little looser but whenever copyrights are enforced that's a loose form of control. Hell, they get controlled by registering and selling bandwidths and IP addresses.

There is no analogy. What a dishonest piece-of-poo poo argument, but I suppose I shouldn't expect better from an e-card.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Of course, five seconds on google would tell anybody who was curious that he bought the guns to see how the background check system works and doesn't actually want to ban guns but facts are stupid and liberal. gently caress you mark.

Skeptics unplugged eh?

I'm skeptical and I get to be caustic and a dick. gently caress YOU LIEBERALS

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
No doubt these are the same skeptics who have such sick skeptic cred that they doubt even global warming, another well-known leftist conspiracy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever tried to make "Conservative Logic 101"? There's an unending stream of contradictory viewpoints one could issue forth, and they wouldn't be falsehoods, either.

ThePeteEffect posted:

But, we do control what gets put on TV with censorship laws, the FCC, timing rules. The internet is a little looser but whenever copyrights are enforced that's a loose form of control. Hell, they get controlled by registering and selling bandwidths and IP addresses.

There is no analogy. What a dishonest piece-of-poo poo argument, but I suppose I shouldn't expect better from an e-card.

I really dislike the argument because it smacks of blackmail. It's like some kind of "gotcha!" rule where oh we'll have to let AR-15s skate by or else we'll have to throw out the 1st Amendment for TV and Internet and we couldn't have that now would we?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

So what exactly do macros like this try to prove? Are they honestly saying that the president (and the president alone) will take all the average citizens guns and then statesmen will show up at your door and gun you down? Or better yet the task of systematic extermination of all TRUE AMERICANS will be handed down to retired astronauts? Because that is sure as hell what it sounds like they are implying.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I think what they are trying to prove is gently caress you mark

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has anyone ever tried to make "Conservative Logic 101"? There's an unending stream of contradictory viewpoints one could issue forth, and they wouldn't be falsehoods, either.

I really dislike the argument because it smacks of blackmail. It's like some kind of "gotcha!" rule where oh we'll have to let AR-15s skate by or else we'll have to throw out the 1st Amendment for TV and Internet and we couldn't have that now would we?

Alright, I think I might have something that will work:

And in honor of the originals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kXKwi5qGs

:ironicat:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

What is it with conservatives having no sense of aesthetics anyway?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Graphics Design is a LIBERAL Art.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just have it mirror Liberal Logic 101 and put a border around it that says "Conservative Logic"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

It looks like somebody made it back in December.

https://www.facebook.com/conservativelogic101

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually, yes, there is a Conservative Logic 101 on Facebook. Here are three examples of their macros.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The first two are good (I especially like how the first one separates the punchline below the white space), but the third one is unreadable, not to mention it blasts Bob Jones University for teaching a historical tidbit that's both factual and interesting. (My girlfriend's grandmother used to talk about how the KKK, in her town when she was a kid, was mostly a temperance movement who burned crosses on the lawns of wife-beating drunks.) Maybe with more context that quote is as horrifying as the image maker wants it to be, but as it is, it's just not as powerful as it thinks it is. Surely there's a better example than this of BJU being horrible.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 12, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

The first two are good (I especially like how the first one separates the punchline below the white space), but the third one is unreadable, not to mention it implies that it's wrong to teach a historical tidbit that's both factual and interesting. (My girlfriend's grandmother used to talk about how the KKK, in her town when she was a kid, was mostly a temperance movement who took on wife-beating drunks.) Surely there are better examples of institutionalized ignorance and prejudice in the Bob Jones curriculum than this.

Not to mention that anytime the KKK is mentioned to conservatives they will say THEY WERE DEMOCRATS :byodood:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

When did the word "classified" appear in the constitution?

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Aw crap, Virginia bluescreened again, somebody power-cycle it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

VideoTapir posted:

When did the word "classified" appear in the constitution?

Yes, well, it doesn't and by that definition Reagan and North should have been hanged.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

People link to that Onion thing all the time, but this is really "Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be"

quote:

Section. 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
But hey, maybe archives.gov is a biased source? http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

They both should have hanged anyway. Instead the former has a hagiographical cult to rival that of any of the Catholic saints and the latter is a political pop star who promotes FPS games.

C'est l'Amérique.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Aw crap, Virginia bluescreened again, somebody power-cycle it.

I saw the same thing with "Virginia" replaced with "Indiana" and DC and Maryland replaced with Detroit and Chicago.

edit: The making-a-slightly-but-critically-inaccurate-explanation-of-constitutional-treason-look-like-a-quote thing reminded me of something I noticed recently.

Almost every "founding fathers" or contemporaries "quote" you see that uses the word "government" is spurious. The word "government" was not used in the modern sense until...IIRC, the 20th century, late 19th at the earliest. In the late 1700s to early 1800s, "government" was used in the same sense that the word "governance" is used today; and from what I've seen on Google Books, ONLY in that sense. The only genuine founding fathers quotes that use the word "government" in a way that a teabagger would use it are the ones where the modern "government" and "governance" are interchangeable.

That is the single easiest way to identify probably 3/4 of spurious right-wing quotes.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2013

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I saw the same thing with "Virginia" replaced with "Indiana" and DC and Maryland replaced with Detroit and Chicago.

I just got this on my Facebook feed (:wtc:):

Apparently Chicago became a city-state separate from Illinois at some point, as this sign implies. :ohdear:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
haha you better watch out terrorists, we're on to you.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Soviet Commubot posted:

It looks like somebody made it back in December.

https://www.facebook.com/conservativelogic101

These are nearly as awful as the originals.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Abdul al-Mahakeen slaps his burqa-clad wife in frustration and orders Jaffar al-Nasir to turn around. The attack on the cheese plant will have to wait for Grand Caliph Obama to disarm Wisconsin.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The terrorists can take my mac and cheese pizza from my cold, dead hands.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 12, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

We've been fools all along. The liberals' best move is to take out Obama ourselves.

"It’s like what Lenin said…you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQJ2n2jayU

Also, "America bless God"? Best sign-off ever.

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

I wonder how it feels to be a living stereotype.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wisconsin has the ELF antenna array at Crab Lake! We're important! So important! A great target! No, wait, don't go to Chicago! We're right here! We have all these wonderful cows and trees for you to blow up! loving muslam terrorists.

At least the Reds were gonna nuke us. :qq:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ror posted:

We've been fools all along. The liberals' best move is to take out Obama ourselves.

"It’s like what Lenin said…you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh…"

This is the Southern conservative version of Fragmaster, right?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

I saw the same thing with "Virginia" replaced with "Indiana" and DC and Maryland replaced with Detroit and Chicago..

The funny part about that is that Mchigan cities have no authority to regulate guns and Michigan's gun laws are pretty loose, certainly not much tighter than Indiana if at all.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

King Dopplepopolos posted:

Actually, yes, there is a Conservative Logic 101 on Facebook. Here are three examples of their macros.

One of the more interesting things about conservative "creativity" and/or "humor" has been it's almost cargo cult level of mimicry of what the left does, but with hilariously bad results and obvious misunderstanding of the underlying mechanism of what makes it work. Like Liberal Logic 101, it always ends up coming off as overtly smug and straw-man in message and visually it amounts to digital vomit. Seeing it in reverse, complete with terrible use of typography and corny stock images just doesn't work for me. Not to sound too smug myself, but liberals can do much better than this.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Ror posted:

Ugh, that guy. There's also this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whqQQ1PUrgc

"If the men who wrote the Constitution did that, how can it be unconstitutional?"

Um...maybe because it's NOT IN THE loving CONSTITUTION.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

tek79 posted:

One of the more interesting things about conservative "creativity" and/or "humor" has been it's almost cargo cult level of mimicry of what the left does, but with hilariously bad results and obvious misunderstanding of the underlying mechanism of what makes it work. Like Liberal Logic 101, it always ends up coming off as overtly smug and straw-man in message and visually it amounts to digital vomit. Seeing it in reverse, complete with terrible use of typography and corny stock images just doesn't work for me. Not to sound too smug myself, but liberals can do much better than this.

I think they are trying to copy the original formatting. I think anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

tek79 posted:

That's a lot of words to say that you don't like Comic Sans MS.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

the2ndgenesis posted:

I just got this on my Facebook feed (:wtc:):

Apparently Chicago became a city-state separate from Illinois at some point, as this sign implies. :ohdear:

Ah yes, Wisconsin, high priority terrorism target. What with the vast swaths of farmland and dairy production facilities, bars, and I guess Lambeau Field.

Also Who The gently caress Types Like This, It's loving Obnoxious.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mo_Steel posted:

Also Who The gently caress Types Like This, It's loving Obnoxious.
FACT: 75% of all right-wing emails overuse Capitalization, ellipses...and exclamation points!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

FACT: 75% of all right-wing emails overuse Capitalization, ellipses...and exclamation points!!!

I'm seriously curious if you could write a program to automatically detect crazy political emails by format alone. An algorithm that accounts for capitalization patterns, ellipses and exclamation points as well as the prevalence of single sentence paragraphs. Include incidence of FWD in the title and a few other factors like multiple fonts in a single email.