Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I too plan on skating till I'm old and crusty. Got 34 more years till I hit 70, maybe Delaware will get a second rink near me in that time!

The 19 year old on my team started taking learn to play while we are finishing off our season. It's amazing how much he's improved from a few weeks of LTP. Now if we could get him about 20 more lbs he'll be ok. He's a drat twig so when people skate by he spins around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm 30 this year, I still lift and train specifically for hockey a few times a week but that is more at this point out of habit and the mortal fear that if I stop my groins will explode when I fill in on the former Pro Czech/Slovak skates.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

our favourite little try hard

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Finally I have usurped the crown from Xzzy / Henrik Zetterberg :v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

he said favourite

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was told I should give the summer league a shot tonight, I've made it boys and girls, next goon professional right here.

In other news I didn't touch the puck in the five minute practice games tonight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CAHA tournament goons this weekend. Come yell at Mutiny (green and white jerseys) this weekend about how much we suck.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

CAHA tournament goons this weekend. Come yell at Mutiny (green and white jerseys) this weekend about how much we suck.

I should be leaving after my first Friday game right around when you get on the ice, depending on what the rest of my team has in mind I'll stop by.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sweet! Our first game is 3:30p. I'm the short guy #19. We will be upstairs drinking beers after. My gf is on Pandora Artemis at 7:45.

Should be a fun weekend!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

LA goons, I'm joining an Ice Angeles league this Summer with a buddy of mine. First time for both of us. Should we go with the bottom beginner level or is that full of people who can barely skate? Not sure if we should just suck it up and jump to Copper. Regardless, if any of you are playing there then we will drink beer with you before, after, or during games.

Our only comparison is people in the adult clinics we do at Lakewood. It gets split in to multiple groups for drills and we've found that if we go to the beginner group then we're on the top end, but if we skate with the "advanced" group then we're bottom rung.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Aww now I know you got that Tuesday Torrance pick-up skate info back in Feb. Get on the list for that and you can line up against real live aluminum/copper/whateverthehells and see where you land.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CAHA is this weekend? I want to know when I can start harassing people for free ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

LA goons, I'm joining an Ice Angeles league this Summer with a buddy of mine. First time for both of us. Should we go with the bottom beginner level or is that full of people who can barely skate? Not sure if we should just suck it up and jump to Copper. Regardless, if any of you are playing there then we will drink beer with you before, after, or during games.

Our only comparison is people in the adult clinics we do at Lakewood. It gets split in to multiple groups for drills and we've found that if we go to the beginner group then we're on the top end, but if we skate with the "advanced" group then we're bottom rung.

Join aluminum. And come to Tuesday skate. If you are inappropriately skilled for that level they will move you up.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Anyone in the Chicagoland area around 6ft 190 lbs have old gear they'd sell me? I'm looking to actually start playing. All I have so far is a pair of bad skates, stick, helmet, cup, and gloves. I'm beyond poo poo garbage at skating atm

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
About 6 months too late. I moved to seattle in august and had some nice extra stuff but i sold/gave it away when i left. American heartland arena has freebie bins in the entrance that people leave stuff in from time to time. Always worth a look. Also check out play it again sports.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

CAHA is this weekend? I want to know when I can start harassing people for free ice.

We were looking for a last-minute roster add yesterday when someone dropped. Should have posted here!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't want to play, I want to bug the scheduler of ice time for a free sheet of ice after you guys are gone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We'll get off the ice after we're down 10 after the second.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My team captain gave us a big locker room spiel about "not cussing at the officials, they have a hard enough time out there" last night before the game. He then proceeds to yell at the ref "are you loving goddamn blind, I've ever even heard of a 'intent to blow the whistle rule' you loving robbed us of a goddamn goal!". So much for being nice to the refs...

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Teeter posted:

Come play with me on the Canadiens, they moved all our players up and we could use some help for next season.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Join aluminum. And come to Tuesday skate. If you are inappropriately skilled for that level they will move you up.

Sent you a PM about Tuesday skate. I don't think I was ever actually added to the list before.

Acethomas posted:

Come play with me on the Canadiens, they moved all our players up and we could use some help for next season.

Awesome, thanks for the invite. It's me +1 more so we'd both be interested and are ready to go. We've spent way too long at clinics or stick & puck and want to get to playing for real.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Teeter posted:

Sent you a PM about Tuesday skate. I don't think I was ever actually added to the list before.

Awesome, thanks for the invite. It's me +1 more so we'd both be interested and are ready to go. We've spent way too long at clinics or stick & puck and want to get to playing for real.

Send me a pm with your emails and I'll push it to the captain. I think the next session starts in June? You could probably sub with us until the playoffs start if you guys want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

My team captain gave us a big locker room spiel about "not cussing at the officials, they have a hard enough time out there" last night before the game. He then proceeds to yell at the ref "are you loving goddamn blind, I've ever even heard of a 'intent to blow the whistle rule' you loving robbed us of a goddamn goal!". So much for being nice to the refs...

Sever.

For the speech, not the ref treatment. Though that's lovely too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The guy who ran our free agent roller hockey team years ago made a speech about playing clean and not doing anything stupid as we went into the playoff game against our rival team that had a couple of hot heads on it.

He proceeded to try and fight one of their guys on the FIRST SHIFT OF THE GAME and make us shorthanded for the next 4 minutes.

So glad he's gone.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Acethomas posted:

Send me a pm with your emails and I'll push it to the captain. I think the next session starts in June? You could probably sub with us until the playoffs start if you guys want.

PM Sent. I'm excited now.

also lol every goalie in the league is #32

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Acethomas posted:

Time for you to move up too.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Wooty posted:

Time for you to move up too.

Hey I quietly play D, mainly just pass, and don't advertise that I play copper at Lakewood. I like the lower pressure games in Alum, it's good cardio.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Speaking of the "old as hell" conversation I think I just got told that I'm old as hell. Basically I played a pickup with some of my league teammates including our league goalie and I played D all night which I never do and didn't have a particularly great night but ok and it was just a pickup anyway; who tires on D during pickup.? After the skate I told our goalie sorry for not being much help out there tonight and he complimented me up and down and so did my other teammate and added that they may have found another position for me. I acted scared and said oh no am I too old to play forward already? They didn't necessarily deny it either. All of the old as hell players (age 40+) are defensemen in my league because they can't keep up playing forward and it looks like at 32 with a couple hip injuries under my belt I might be headed to defense. Bad news is I'm too slow, good news is I'll be playing for the next 32 years if I can last like some of the other guys I see around the rink.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Playing d is way more difficult than any forward position imo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I find the skating on D to be easier, but the stress levels are higher. So much feeling lovely when you fail to hold the blue line or can't tie up a stick or whatever.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Anyone know any good stick deals?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I give D a go but I still suck at getting the puck off pretty much anyone. Only time I ever did was when I lifted a guys stick and then threw the puck down the other end of the rink. I play left handed, if i'm on D where should I be roughly?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you play defense in midget or above: you would usually be left D, so your stick is positioned best in relation to the play in the defensive zone.

If you play below midget, or are in beer league: you'll usually play "somewhwere between one of their guys and the net, if possible."

Lookup defensive responsibilities, there are good diagrams on what your area of coverage is. Your first objective is to take away time and space from the other player, not necessarily to get the puck from them. That will come later, as a result of having taken away their time and space.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

drizzle posted:

Playing d is way more difficult than any forward position imo

I find it tough when you're in the zone and the forwards are running around way out of position and now all of a sudden its you alone trying to cover the slot and the back door at the same time but that is basic beer league defensive zone positioning.txt

Most old guys play D around where I am not because of the difficulty level but because it can be less taxing skating wise. You will skate hard if you play hard D but most old guys back out of the zone way before they have to because some 26 year old is coming out full speed and they can't keep up if they don't have a huge head start. If the rush happens too quickly then they just try to pinch because there is no chance they are going to get back in time to make a play. Also they don't exactly jump up on the rush. Make the break out pass, coast up to the offensive blue line hoping nobody tries to pass to the point before they get there, which is a safe bet because who uses the points in beer league?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I just don't skate as hard playing D because I don't really know what I'm doing (I had good coaching on zone defense but when is that ever relevant to what happens in beer league?) and I don't want to get caught going hard in the wrong direction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they don't score, it was a good defensive decision.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

Anyone know any good stick deals?
Hockey Giant has a 25% off stick liquidation at the moment, I just bought two CCM 130s for like 50 apiece using that deal

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Remember, you have to bat the puck out of the air and into your own net while playing D. Your goalie will appreciate you loving up a perfectly stoppable shot.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Vargatron posted:

Remember, you have to bat the puck out of the air and into your own net while playing D. Your goalie will appreciate you loving up a perfectly stoppable shot.

Don't forget to deflect every pass from behind the net on target with your skates. Goalies really appreciate it when you do that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Vargatron posted:

That perfectly sums up the two games I ever played on D.

Going to the pro shop today to try on skates and helmets :fap: