Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Elite Dangerous: Horizons - weaponized autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Grade 5 autism distributor upgrade to fire my realism guns.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
deck out my federal gunship or python for pve combat farmin?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Fatal Error posted:

Requesting new thread title

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groggy nard posted:

Requesting new thread title

:same:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Asproigerosis posted:

deck out my federal gunship or python for pve combat farmin?

In my experience Python is more effective, but the Gunship's fighter ability adds an additional gameplay element that can be pretty fun. Then again I'm a sucker for stupid gimmicks.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Fatal Error posted:

After the whole " HOW DARE SHIPS BE BOUGHT IMMEDIATELY" debacle and the new teleportation brouhaha, I believe that this is the end goal of many players.

It's truly inspiring how a game seemingly about fun space adventures is inspiring so many people to hate, fear, and generally ruin the experience by any means necessary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The next "my immersion" needs to be over filling out forms and arguing with insurance adjusters after every ship loss.

Oh and you did business in Alliance, Imperial and Federation space? You now have three separate taxable incomes. Fill out these forms every space year.

To fill out the forms and make it fun Frontier can give the player a surgeon simulator arm. No you can't skip this minigame.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 2, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Fill out these forms every space year.
haha, also you can't mail in the forms because there's no NPC shipping system so you have to deliver it yourself. You'll get interdicted constantly because the forms have to be in your cargo hold and every jerk from here to Nimbus 5 wants to boil you up if you're carrying cargo.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

DancingShade posted:

The next "my immersion" needs to be over filling out forms and arguing with insurance adjusters after every ship loss.

Oh and you did business in Alliance, Imperial and Federation space? You now have three separate taxable incomes. Fill out these forms every space year.

To fill out the forms and make it fun Frontier can give the player a surgeon simulator arm. No you can't skip this minigame.

They should release this as an optional paid DLC pack that has not other features or benefits.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What currently is the fastest way to get to Baron for an imperial clipper? I have not done nearly any rank grinding, but with 2.3 coming out I'd like to expand my ship buying capabilities. Is it a terribly long process?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Fehu surface scan mission stack is the quickest right now and will be nerfed next patch it seems. Still will take a while though. It is also one of the quickest ways of making alot of credits if you have a high exploration rank (1~1.5 mil credit payout per mission, so up to 30mil every 30mins).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Those asteroid bases are really cool.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

ughhhh posted:

Fehu surface scan mission stack is the quickest right now and will be nerfed next patch it seems. Still will take a while though. It is also one of the quickest ways of making alot of credits if you have a high exploration rank (1~1.5 mil credit payout per mission, so up to 30mil every 30mins).

I thought Quince was the go to?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
what about federation grinding? Box ships are way cooler :colbert:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

ughhhh posted:

So this is just a case of going to fehu and board scamming a bunch of missions? I've never done a surface scan mission, what do they entail and what would I need?

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I thought Quince was the go to?

They're very similar, except the Quince station is 0.17ls from the planet versus ~2000ls for Fehu. Quince is better.

Edit: the grind to Clipper in Quince will take 2-4 hours (assuming it is in boom).

jnnnnn fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 3, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

So this is just a case of going to fehu and board scamming a bunch of missions? I've never done a surface scan mission, what do they entail and what would I need?

Board scam planetary scan missions. They all lead to planet 6b or something. You need a ship with a discovery scanner and SRV hanger. Honk when you are close, your mission will get updated and when you get close the planet a site will show up saying "Search Area" get closer and closer and it will move around till it spawns. land, scan data point (you wont trigger the trespass warning if you do it just right, but if you do nbd), return to station.

jnnnnn posted:

They're very similar, except the Quince station is 0.17ls from the planet versus ~2000ls for Fehu. Quince is better.

Once you get to the station though you wont be traveling more than 60ls or some such short distance.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ughhhh posted:

Board scam planetary scan missions. They all lead to planet 6b or something. You need a ship with a discovery scanner and SRV hanger. Honk when you are close, your mission will get updated and when you get close the planet a site will show up saying "Search Area" get closer and closer and it will move around till it spawns. land, scan data point (you wont trigger the trespass warning if you do it just right, but if you do nbd), return to station.

Once you get to the station though you wont be traveling more than 60ls or some such short distance.
The planet that needs the scans done at in Quince is 0.17Ls from the station, not the star.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Mercurius posted:

The planet that needs the scans done at in Quince is 0.17Ls from the station, not the star.

I thought Quince was just courier missions? If thats the case im moving to quince.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Have they made Engineers less grindy yet?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A little, recipes don't need items that take up cargo space now. Marco still wants modular terminals for you to get started, the dick.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gonkish posted:

Have they made Engineers less grindy yet?

Compared to release? Yes, slightly. But not since they made dropped materials count triple.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

What currently is the fastest way to get to Baron for an imperial clipper? I have not done nearly any rank grinding, but with 2.3 coming out I'd like to expand my ship buying capabilities. Is it a terribly long process?

Same way to do any major faction increase.

Do missions for minor factions aligned with them, and bare in mind combat related ones provide slightly more reputation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DancingShade posted:

Compared to release? Yes, slightly. But not since they made dropped materials count triple.

How about removing engineer commodity requirements? I'd say not having to ship poo poo hundreds of lightyears reduces grind some.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

How about removing engineer commodity requirements? I'd say not having to ship poo poo hundreds of lightyears reduces grind some.

I did most of my unlocking flying ships that could reach pretty much any engineer on a full tank of space petrol so I never really noticed. But you're completely right to point out that removing the commodity bullshit was a 100% improvement.

(completely slipped my mind!)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ughhhh posted:

I thought Quince was just courier missions? If thats the case im moving to quince.
Nope, they're exactly the same 'fly to the planet, look for the scan point, scan the point, suicide back to the station' ones as Fehu.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

vorebane posted:

A little, recipes don't need items that take up cargo space now. Marco still wants modular terminals for you to get started, the dick.

I finally finished him and Palin off earlier this week. Doing a handful of missions for Modular Terminals was a breezy joy next to getting him to actually give me the loving mission in the first place. A couple hours of activity vs. a painful afternoon of board scumming.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Wow. Not being able to use the outfitting screen to swap modules during a lockdown really sucks space rear end. I'm not sure how a lockdown is contributing anything to the game ...

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Einbauschrank posted:

Wow. Not being able to use the outfitting screen to swap modules during a lockdown really sucks space rear end. I'm not sure how a lockdown is contributing anything to the game ...
"Don't let this happen."

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Oh sweet jesus, is the Orca really getting a lighter hull in 2.3? Anyone with beta access, how far can you get it to jump now with engineering?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The quince scan job thing definitely works. Two questions I'm not clear on though, is there a wait time between switching instances for board scumming? When I reach rank 100%, do I have to do one of those rank-up missions before any further mission rank will be applied, or will the earned mission rank roll over into the next ranks before doing the rank-up mission?

Sorry that is a really weirded question.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Blind Rasputin posted:

The quince scan job thing definitely works. Two questions I'm not clear on though, is there a wait time between switching instances for board scumming? When I reach rank 100%, do I have to do one of those rank-up missions before any further mission rank will be applied, or will the earned mission rank roll over into the next ranks before doing the rank-up mission?

I don't think there's technically a wait time for refreshing, but whenever I'm scumming for more than a half hour or so, I'll eventually hit a point where the mission lists aren't refreshing correctly anymore. So I'll take a break for a little while, and by the time I come back and reload, things will have sorted themselves out.

IIRC extra rank over 100% will be applied when you finally do your next rank up mission, so don't worry about wasting time/effort there.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

There is no wasted effort in going over 100% rank. I did tons of fed rank without doing promotion missions and then was able to rank up about 8 times in a row.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is there a specific place to get the rank up missions?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just anywhere the superpower is. Every Fed/Empire aligned faction has the chance to give you one of those missions once you're at 100% (or greater) in a rank

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Morter posted:

Just anywhere the superpower is. Every Fed/Empire aligned faction has the chance to give you one of those missions once you're at 100% (or greater) in a rank

In my experience, you'll want to try stations where the faction controlling the station is aligned with your superpower of choice, and you're allied with that minor faction. I'm not sure if one or both are a requirement or if it just has a better chances to generate a rankup mission, but I've had better luck at stations like that.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I don't think being in control matters but being at least friendly helps.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm under the impression that only the faction actually in control of the station will generate rankup missions - someone at least argued for it at one point - but gently caress if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I'm under the impression that only the faction actually in control of the station will generate rankup missions - someone at least argued for it at one point - but gently caress if I know.

Nope. As someone who experienced getting flooded with Imp RankUps while trying to grind Fed rank in Fed stations, believe me, I know.

• Locked thread