Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
One of the best feelings in the world.

Playing Silent (A8). Draw/discard + Shiv deck, with a single Afterimage for block. Good enough to get me through Act 3 and past the Shield and Spear, no problem, but I'll just die against the Heart. Spend the entirety of Act 3 looking for a solution like a Blur or another Afterimage, or even a Nightmare, and getting nothing, nada, zilch.

Then Spear and Shield comes around, and the card reward includes a Nightmare. And the relic is Tough Bandages.

I took two damage against the Heart - One to Nightmare my Afterimage, and then to play the Afterimage.

Edit: Oh yeah, this was a mythical 6-energy deck - boss swapped to Coffee Dripper, then Fusion Hammer, and then Cursed Key. Having five Acrobatics in my deck wasn't so foolish, was it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

WrightOfWay posted:

Sometimes I play lots of cards with small numbers instead.

And if those cards are Claws, the small numbers become large numbers!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I simply play the cards with large numbers on

Big cards go boom?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Buffer prevent Static Discharge from proc’ing?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Today, my wife was all "look, lady, I just saw you and thought you'd like to know what time it is. I'm trying to tell you what time it is but you attack me. I think your weird mask is making you choose to do irresponsible things. I'm a loving SLUG, you could toss a grain of salt on me and I'm dead. But still you choose to hit me, that's just cruel!"

I realized the enemy design is probably about making a spire that was good and built to be defended, and the only reason these benevolent guardians are the enemy is because the Heart corrupted them and made them aggressive.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

Does Buffer prevent Static Discharge from proc’ing?

Yes.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Tree Bucket posted:

And if those cards are Claws, the small numbers become large numbers!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Why pit two kings against each other?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

Today, my wife was all "look, lady, I just saw you and thought you'd like to know what time it is. I'm trying to tell you what time it is but you attack me. I think your weird mask is making you choose to do irresponsible things. I'm a loving SLUG, you could toss a grain of salt on me and I'm dead. But still you choose to hit me, that's just cruel!"

I have bad news. Your wife never liked you.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dang! Thanks for clarifying.

I’m going to finally make my act 1 boss card choice and get on with this run.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

slay the spire rites of passage part 42069: forgetting you have a buffer charge and spending 2 energy blocking for 10 of a 12hp attack

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I ended act 1 with two Static Discharge+ and Thunderstrike, so I went with Core Surge over Buffer and I think things are going well.

4 stacks of Static Discharge made the birds a very funny fight.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 1, 2024

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I have bad news. Your wife never liked you.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Nothing like a fire breathing deck coming all together. First time i grabbed what curses i could in act 1. At the end i had the perfect deck, didnt get hit for last 4 fights

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dead Branch + Storm Of Steel is wonderful. I love this game. Will probably play it forever.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cheeseboy58 posted:

Nothing like a fire breathing deck coming all together. First time i grabbed what curses i could in act 1. At the end i had the perfect deck, didnt get hit for last 4 fights

Few things make me happier in act one than taking fire breathing and hitting the sentries and then the slime boss later.

Other than obviously thorns against byrds in act 2.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reprogram is so much better on anyone other than the Defect.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

McGavin posted:

How surprising that a -focus card would be better on characters who have no reason to care about focus? :thunk:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

foreign influence into hyperbeam is a relatedly fun interaction

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

McGavin posted:

jesus WEP posted:

foreign influence into hyperbeam is a relatedly fun interaction

We pulled an event in the board game in Act 3 that let everyone choose to trade a card with someone or to draw a reward from someone else's card deck. I traded the Ironclad my Hyperbeam and he proceeded to draw a card reward from my deck and windmill slammed Hyperbeam.

We won that run.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

drat, Ironclad is COMPLETELY unlike any other character. Nothing I know about anything transfers over to it I have no idea what im doing. I can clear a20 on everyone else, and I must have done it on Ironclad at one point, and then I just deleted everything I know about the character.

Its really bad, im on a18 just struggling to beat act 1. Picking attacks isn't working. Picking an early Dark Embrace didn't work because I never saw an exhaust card before dying to hexaghost. in another run I still managed to lose after getting spot weakness, limit break, reaper. in another run, Inflame, whirlwind, sword boomerang wasn't enough either. I really think I've degenerated all the way back to ascension 0. I literally don't know how anything works with this character.

I think it might be impossible for me to know all the characters. I think I only have room for 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ironclad doesnt really have a consistentish game plan (poison, orb, watcher) besides fishing for snecko after act 1 boss. But you WILL hit enough sneckos to beat A20 eventually (I did).

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
????????????

You're talking like someone afraid of exhaust

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

????????????

You're talking like someone afraid of exhaust

exhaust is afraid of me! I can't get both a feel no pain and anything that exhausts in the same run!

I think Ironclad has the worst cards as a whole out of all the characters. It definitely has some very, very good cards, but then it has stuff like armaments, clash, flex, havoc, war cry, perfected strike etc. It was definitely designed when a10 was the cap, but it was better than Silent so it didn't get many buffs. It just feels a lot like their first character. Like yeah it can do some gross stuff with Corruption, and they definitely designed it to have a Barricade build, and Exhaust is something most of its builds use, but there are definitely a list of cards you will not find in any deck that clears a20

A Moose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 3, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
yeah ironclad is cool and good, unlike the other nerds

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like no act 1 decision is harder than seeing an early Dark Embrace. I never know how to feel about it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Its ftw

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I will take dark embrace before the first elite because it can trivialize sentries. Feel no pain and fire breathing can too, but yeah, pretty much any enemy that dazes is laughed off when that daze turns into card draw

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Always pick an early Dark Embrace. It's good vs Sentries, you can play it pre-wake vs Lagavulin, and it's worth having a pseudo-curse vs Nob and the boss in exchange for the opportunity to make your deck pop off later.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
See I will slam pick a FNP but I never feel good about DE unless I've got a few exhaust cards. If I've only got a card or two that exhaust, 2 energy for one or two cards drawn over the next two turns after this one (if it draws a card on the turn I play it, it's wasted because I don't have the energy to play it) doesn't help me a whole lot. I feel like picking it early makes me lean a little too hard into exhaust when I should be picking cards more flexibly that early.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Why not lean into exhaust

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Interestingly Silent and Ironclad are extremely close to each other at the top level (the record is just over 80 out of 100 wins at A20 for both). I've seen people heavily prefer one or the other and I assume it comes down to playstyle. To me IC's biggest advantage is a much stronger Act 1, allowing you to be way more aggressive at chasing elites so you can go for one his many run-defining rares or a good relic. By contrast surviving the first act as Silent can be tough, but the character has high quality defensive cards at low rarity and has some offensive engines that come together relatively consistently. I personally find both about the same and have a similar winrate for both (weirdly my Defect winrate is significantly higher even though I like the character less than either).

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

OzFactor posted:

I feel like no act 1 decision is harder than seeing an early Dark Embrace. I never know how to feel about it.

I feel similarily with Corruption. At times.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Interestingly Silent and Ironclad are extremely close to each other at the top level (the record is just over 80 out of 100 wins at A20 for both). I've seen people heavily prefer one or the other and I assume it comes down to playstyle. To me IC's biggest advantage is a much stronger Act 1, allowing you to be way more aggressive at chasing elites so you can go for one his many run-defining rares or a good relic. By contrast surviving the first act as Silent can be tough, but the character has high quality defensive cards at low rarity and has some offensive engines that come together relatively consistently. I personally find both about the same and have a similar winrate for both (weirdly my Defect winrate is significantly higher even though I like the character less than either).

best two characters. It isn't close, for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A Moose posted:

I think Ironclad has the worst cards as a whole out of all the characters. It definitely has some very, very good cards, but then it has stuff like armaments, clash, flex, havoc, war cry, perfected strike etc
but there are definitely a list of cards you will not find in any deck that clears a20

excuse me?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Perfected strike isn't great, but it's not terrible either. Armaments is a very strong card tho. I'd happily add it to pretty much any deck in act 1. One of the best upgrades in the game.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

OzFactor posted:

windmill slam that poo poo

e: I'll play perfected strike at a20 deliberately if it's my first or second pick in a run. it slots pretty well into the carry role at least through act 1. if you manage to bottle one, you pretty much guarantee an act 3 clear.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 3, 2024

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Ikr. Having copies of a card that consistently murder everything and only get stronger the more you grab. Used to think it was bad but ive come around

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i’m an a19 andy on defect, and the annoying thing is the run i beat a19 on i lost like zero health on the act 3 boss, and every time i’ve gotten there since i’ve limped into the second boss and gotten stomped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

See I will slam pick a FNP but I never feel good about DE unless I've got a few exhaust cards. If I've only got a card or two that exhaust, 2 energy for one or two cards drawn over the next two turns after this one (if it draws a card on the turn I play it, it's wasted because I don't have the energy to play it) doesn't help me a whole lot. I feel like picking it early makes me lean a little too hard into exhaust when I should be picking cards more flexibly that early.

Same. After A10 you at least get a little utility from FNP because of the Bane. But DE doesn't do anything at all by itself and it's twice the price, so dunking it takes up m0st of an entire turn