Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

My external 8 bay tower, lsi card, and 8088 cables just arrived today! Just in time for weekend project. Check out monoprice for the cable, I got it for like $9 and in three days.

:hfive:

They just updated my shipping date to Tuesday, so I'll have a project to work on next week! My Plex users are going to be unhappy while I'm working on that, I've noticed usage has gone way up the last few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Atomizer posted:

This doesn't sound normal, and there's no SSD-style HDD buffer that would cache data like that (except Buffalo had some external drives with 1 GB of DDR3 for a write cache that would essentially behave exactly like that.)

The only thing that I can imagine would be causing that is if the drive was partially full of non-contiguous data; then, even a sequential transfer would potentially fill in the holes and exhibit inconsistent performance like you described. :shrug:

Drive just formatted so its not a fragmentation thing. I'll try again on another platform once I get my seagate 5T 2.5" to compare. The initial 100mb/s could be Windows buffering to system memory somehow although that's strange for it to be capped at 100mb/s unless its also something to do with USB 3 :shrug:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Drive just formatted so its not a fragmentation thing. I'll try again on another platform once I get my seagate 5T 2.5" to compare. The initial 100mb/s could be Windows buffering to system memory somehow although that's strange for it to be capped at 100mb/s unless its also something to do with USB 3 :shrug:

Can you test the drive with blackmagic?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What I have now: QNAP TS-431 w/ 4xgTB Toshiba drive
My current use case: Strictly dumb file storage connecting via SMB
Why I hate this thing: QNAP had a tiff with Plex or something and official Plex support got dropped (and the app removed) and even side loading it, it doesn't seem to actually be able to handle streaming, so I gotta just use like Nvidia shield or something to play files off it. It's slow and loud and has a bunch of overhead for a bunch of features I don't give a poo poo about.
What I'd like to use it for: 90% dumb storage and maybe Plex or some other method of streaming to my smart TVs. I'm never ever letting this thing have an internet connection in any fashion. If I want to access something remotely, I'd RDP from my phone to my desktop, copy whatever off to the desktop and share it out from there. If there's anything else useful it could do for me, it's an unknown unknown for me, but I'd be willing to hear suggestions.
What I'm looking to get: A new box that supports 8x12TB drives. I don't really know anything, but if anyone has a suggested solution, I'm looking to price it out since WFH has been saving me a ton of scratch and with tax returns coming in, I typically treat my refund as funbux.

Please and thank you.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

:hfive:

They just updated my shipping date to Tuesday, so I'll have a project to work on next week! My Plex users are going to be unhappy while I'm working on that, I've noticed usage has gone way up the last few weeks.

A good time for an upgrade.

I upgraded my storage capacity a couple of months ago. Now the extra space that was desperately needed at home is now work storage for my projects. The old drives I pulled out are almost seven years old so there's a noticable speed increase to go with the extra space.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Toshimo posted:

What I have now: QNAP TS-431 w/ 4xgTB Toshiba drive
My current use case: Strictly dumb file storage connecting via SMB
Why I hate this thing: QNAP had a tiff with Plex or something and official Plex support got dropped (and the app removed) and even side loading it, it doesn't seem to actually be able to handle streaming, so I gotta just use like Nvidia shield or something to play files off it. It's slow and loud and has a bunch of overhead for a bunch of features I don't give a poo poo about.
What I'd like to use it for: 90% dumb storage and maybe Plex or some other method of streaming to my smart TVs. I'm never ever letting this thing have an internet connection in any fashion. If I want to access something remotely, I'd RDP from my phone to my desktop, copy whatever off to the desktop and share it out from there. If there's anything else useful it could do for me, it's an unknown unknown for me, but I'd be willing to hear suggestions.
What I'm looking to get: A new box that supports 8x12TB drives. I don't really know anything, but if anyone has a suggested solution, I'm looking to price it out since WFH has been saving me a ton of scratch and with tax returns coming in, I typically treat my refund as funbux.

Please and thank you.

Is there a reason you are set on running Plex directly from your NAS? Asking because most prebuilts have terrible processors that can’t transcode very well.

If you already have a desktop that is running 24/7, I would suggest running Plex server from your desktop and just storing the media on your NAS.

In any case, if you don’t want to build your own NAS, then you should just buy a Synology DS1819+ or DS2419+ - Just be aware that if you need transcoding for Plex, these boxes will not be able to handle 4K transcoding.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brain Issues posted:

Is there a reason you are set on running Plex directly from your NAS? Asking because most prebuilts have terrible processors that can’t transcode very well.

I am not. It would be a nice have, but is not a requirement. If it's a $200 price difference to be PLEX-capable, that's fine. More than that and it's not worth it to me. I'm mostly mad that QNAP sold me a box advertising Plex capability, then pulled the rug out.

Brain Issues posted:

In any case, if you don’t want to build your own NAS, then you should just buy a Synology DS1819+ or DS2419+ - Just be aware that if you need transcoding for Plex, these boxes will not be able to handle 4K transcoding.

I wouldn't be serving anything over 1080p, most likely, fwiw.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

I am not. It would be a nice have, but is not a requirement. If it's a $200 price difference to be PLEX-capable, that's fine. More than that and it's not worth it to me. I'm mostly mad that QNAP sold me a box advertising Plex capability, then pulled the rug out.

QNAP plex capable nas tend to have intel cpus rather the arm cpus. I assume this is really to support transcoding. I believe there is one exception where they have a new 2 bay that has an soc with dedicated hardware for transcoding, but that's not an 8 bay.

At 8 bays it may be worth just looking at building your own and running something like unraid.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unless they have the mistakes of hardware encoders pointed out to them, most people don't notice them, so a lot of people just rely on the hardware encoding that's in most modern CPUs.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Devian666 posted:

At 8 bays it may be worth just looking at building your own and running something like unraid.

I am inclined to agree, if he really values running Plex server from the same box, and needs 8 bays, DIY is the only solution I can think of.

I don’t know of any Off-the-shelf units with 8 bays that I would recommend trying to run a Plex server on, at least not one that would be transcoding anything.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Toshimo posted:

Please note that those units from Synology do not have any hardware transcoding and only do software:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/Can_my_Synology_NAS_transcode_videos_for_my_device

They are group 1 type 1. So some have odd limitations you will want to check.

Edit:

I would recommend that you use you nas only for storage and build a cheap but powerful plex server. It will help you out as obviously you are starting to get into large arrays of storage.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 5, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Axe-man posted:

I would recommend that you use you nas only for storage and build a cheap but powerful plex server. It will help you out as obviously you are starting to get into large arrays of storage.

Yes, as I mentioned, Plex was only an ask if it was reasonable. I don't have it now and can go on living without it forever.

That said, what suggestions can I get for an 8x12TB box (I won't crack enclosures. gently caress that poo poo, I know I'll have drive failures with 8 drives over 5 years and being able to RMA quickly and easily is worthwhile).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

That said, what suggestions can I get for an 8x12TB box (I won't crack enclosures. gently caress that poo poo, I know I'll have drive failures with 8 drives over 5 years and being able to RMA quickly and easily is worthwhile).

This in either the standard format or rackmount. The cost is usually reasonable based on my local retailer.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-832x

If you are meaning drives the cost is higher for the drives if you don't crack enclosures. Where I live we can't get enclosures with the HGST drives inside so I actually have to pay the actual price. Reds will do the job but if you do want a decent RMA within 5 years the Ultrastars (HGST) do have a 5 year warranty (I use these in the office server). However the price of the ultrastars is drat expensive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Toshimo posted:

Yes, as I mentioned, Plex was only an ask if it was reasonable. I don't have it now and can go on living without it forever.

For an 8-bay deal you're looking at the Synology DS18xx where xx is the year it was released. the DS1819+ runs close to $1000, the DS1817 is more like $800. It'll run Plex, but not really any transcoding--none of Synology's 8-bay units are good for it, frankly. Austor apparently has a bunch that do, but I've never dealt with them before: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

For the price of an 8-bay, if you're not entirely against the DIY route, you could easily get a nice case with hot-swappable bays and a much, much more powerful system. Downside would be it's not as small. But that's about the only way you're going to get a transcoding-capable Plex and 8 bays together in one unit. The other option is, has others have said, just run PMS locally on your PC and have it pull from the NAS for the actual media. Works fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Toshimo posted:

The cost spread on this means it is cheaper to self insure this. It's ~$355 for warrantied disks $180 on sale, or what, $280 not-on-sale for no-warranty disks? If you're dead set against it that's fine, but WD Reds with a warranty are not cheap. On sale prices you can get twice the disks and self insure for free, full price you get ~2 disks for free for warranty. Basically in 0-5 years when you next need a disk even if you buy a full price replacement it's cheaper, and likely shipped faster, to crack-and-toss those cases. Plus it's future dollars.

I was doing the same thing as you thinking "screw that I'm not dealing with those shady easystore shenanigans" then I realized after buying 5 disks for full price it was literally throwing money away not to do it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Besides, allegedly you can send them back bare and they'll send a replacement easystore. The only real sticking point is if you send back one in the wrong shell, as then they think you're pulling a fast one over on them and it turns into a nightmare. Either send them back in the matched enclosure, or send them back bare.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I guess my question then is: Is the MTBF on the cheap drives noticeably less?

It's worth a small premium to me not to have to RMA/rebuild every 6 months.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Toshimo posted:

They're exactly the same as WD Reds minus some differences in SATA implementation (3.3v pin needs to be removed/covered), a different label, and not having the Red warranty length.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

They're exactly the same as WD Reds minus some differences in SATA implementation (3.3v pin needs to be removed/covered), a different label, and not having the Red warranty length.

The 3.3v pin is a hassle in limited circumstances. A synology is not one of those cases. I have 0 patience for that and I haven't had to do it across 3 drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

The 3.3v pin is a hassle in limited circumstances. A synology is not one of those cases. I have 0 patience for that and I haven't had to do it across 3 drives.

FWIW I've been shucking drives for DIY NASes for years (including rebuilding one a few months ago) and have never had to gently caress with a 3.3v pin.

But, yeah, considering that shucked drives are ~50% the cost of retail drives, and have the same/similar MTBF, there's really no reason to buy retail drives unless Easystores simply aren't available where you are.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Toshimo posted:

Well, no one is running studies on the things to determine MTBF, but all indications are that they're just regular WD drives.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why are usb drives cheaper? I still dont get it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Fair enough, but for the longest time they were literally WD Reds in there. By all accounts the current Whites in there are identical to Reds, right down to the inclusion of TLER-enabled firmware, other than occasionally a smaller amount of cache RAM. It'd be real weird for them to have notably worse MTBF, given that.

In either even, the MTBF numbers are basically meaningless, since they're always quoted in the hundreds of thousands of hours (or more). Given that a year is under 10k hours, according to the spec sheets even the shittiest WD Green should last dozens of years. Which they normally don't, so, whatever.

Charles posted:

Why are usb drives cheaper? I still dont get it.

I've never seen a business justification that made any sense, other than "what the market will bear"--in theory WD Reds are aimed at small/mid-sized businesses who feel better about paying more money for the safety of a known-quantity and warranty, vs Joe Consumer who just wants a cheap external drive. Why the hell they put Reds/Whites in there and not Green/Blues, I don't know.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 5, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

At this point it they have to know that shucking is getting them a fair amount of computer enthusiast sales. Maybe they keep it going to keep a lock on that particular market segment? It makes people feel like they are getting one over and are in the know.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
It still shocks me that people are willing to pay 1k for a Synology and be neutered from the start when you can get the 12 bay Rosewill.

Are y'all seriously so space constrained in your goon caves than an extra (1.75*3") height is killing you? idgi

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Crunchy Black posted:

It still shocks me that people are willing to pay 1k for a Synology and be neutered from the start when you can get the 12 bay Rosewill.

Are y'all seriously so space constrained in your goon caves than an extra (1.75*3") height is killing you? idgi

Symbology Just Works and there's value in that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Synology Just Works and there's value in that.

Yeah, it's 100% this. There are plenty of people who I know who make >$75/hr, and between doing the research of what parts to use, what compatibilities to watch out for, what software to run, etc., plus building it, plus configuring it, etc., it actually ends up being cheaper for them to work 10hrs or whatever of OT and just buy a Synology than to spend the time on a DIY solution. Especially if all they want out of it is a media server / Time Capsule target / other things that can totally be handled by an Atom.

There're also plenty of people I know who don't make that much, but don't want to worry about computer janitoring yet another device. I mean, I'd never bother going that route because I enjoy the janitoring/learning aspect, but I can't say I don't understand their take.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I have a dozen or more computer touching projects that I would get more personal satisfaction from than dicking around with a file server on the regular.

Also, the amount of additional moving parts going from an appliance to a full tower means that I can't just stick it somewhere in a corner with enough airflow; I've got to make sure that I can pop a monitor/keyboard/mouse on it to troubleshoot if it becomes unresponsive.

This is a premium I am willing to pay at this point, yes.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Toshimo posted:

I have a dozen or more computer touching projects that I would get more personal satisfaction from than dicking around with a file server on the regular.

Also, the amount of additional moving parts going from an appliance to a full tower means that I can't just stick it somewhere in a corner with enough airflow; I've got to make sure that I can pop a monitor/keyboard/mouse on it to troubleshoot if it becomes unresponsive.

This is a premium I am willing to pay at this point, yes.

I don't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to my 15 bay rosewill build (once I get it reconnected in my new living arrangements thanks corona), server grade hardware has IPMI. I've used a monitor/kb/m all of one time on this setup, and that was just initial bootstrapping my IPMI.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrDork posted:

For an 8-bay deal you're looking at the Synology DS18xx where xx is the year it was released. the DS1819+ runs close to $1000, the DS1817 is more like $800.

I looked into this, but it appears that the DS1817 caps at 10TB per drive and the DS1817+ seems largely unavailable.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
While I'd debate some points, a Synology does sound like it might be right for you.

Can't help myself: I've not had to connect a mouse and keyboard to my used eBay server + Unraid since I set the BIOS settings. Probably didn't need to do that even then...

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Crunchy Black posted:

Although sadly it looks like Rosewill may have given up on the storage cases, I don't see either the R4000 or the L4500 for sale on Newegg anymore, which is a shame because they were stupid cost efficient for storage density.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

I don't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to my 15 bay rosewill build (once I get it reconnected in my new living arrangements thanks corona), server grade hardware has IPMI. I've used a monitor/kb/m all of one time on this setup, and that was just initial bootstrapping my IPMI.

IPMI is the tits. I've also had real good luck with ESXi, so like you I only needed a KB/mouse once to install the hypervisor and then I can do web-based KVM into any of the VMs from there.

Toshimo posted:

I looked into this, but it appears that the DS1817 caps at 10TB per drive and the DS1817+ seems largely unavailable.

Not sure where you're getting 10TB from. Their compatibility list has drives up to 16TB, and there's no sane reason for them to cut off at a given capacity. The DS1819(+) isn't much more expensive, though, and is the current model.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Toshimo posted:

I have a DS1817+ because the DS1819+ wasn't out when I got my chassis.

You just want the DS1819+. There's no multi-tiered offerings of older and newer products concurrently in production; the DS1819+ is the current product in the 18 total bays slot. Anything contrary was just old stock being run thru.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah maybe its a personal thing but I'm tired of not having IPMI on stuff and I will never put anything new in the rack that doesn't have it, hence my reticence about Synology stuff.

To throw more fuel on the fire, FreeNAS just works if you've installed and configured it...once :D

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrDork posted:

Not sure where you're getting 10TB from. Their compatibility list has drives up to 16TB, and there's no sane reason for them to cut off at a given capacity. The DS1819(+) isn't much more expensive, though, and is the current model.

Their original Datasheet and Amazon both had it at 10TB, so I didn't go back and check their web page, which indeed says 16TB. That's good, because Amazon has a Warehouse scratch and dent one for $675 I may pull the trigger on.

Edit:

Sniep posted:

I have a DS1817+ because the DS1819+ wasn't out when I got my chassis.

You just want the DS1819+. There's no multi-tiered offerings of older and newer products concurrently in production; the DS1819+ is the current product in the 18 total bays slot. Anything contrary was just old stock being run thru.

Welp, now I'm rethinking that.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah maybe its a personal thing but I'm tired of not having IPMI on stuff and I will never put anything new in the rack that doesn't have it, hence my reticence about Synology stuff.

To throw more fuel on the fire, FreeNAS just works if you've installed and configured it...once :D

Which reminds me I need to get a new coin battery, the one in my Unraid build is dead so it keeps forgetting bios settings on powerup, but also it's got two liquid AIOs so hopefully I'm not covering the CMOS battery

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

I also use a tivo to watch linear television. :getin:

I deeply hate computer janitor work in any capacity while at home. Any time I do it I want to claw my face off. Any time something doesn't work I get the urge to chuck it out the window. So yes, I spent a $1000 premium for it all to "just work". I also spent hundreds in extra premium thinking you people were nuts with your shucking. Eventually I realized I could just run a flathead screw driver around it snapping all the tabs clean off and self-insure the disks and haven't looked back. I have literal 0 interest in hoping an external something or other works.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Synology was a good intro to Linux, networking, and VMs for me. Learning Unraid has been fun as a next baby step. Next goal is learning Python for scientific computing so I can put my $2k rig to use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah I picked up a 2700x for a song a while back and I was going to redo my NAS with Debian and Docker since I'm really comfortable with it.

But UnRAID is working just fine and my plex is in higher demand now with my friends and family at home.

So I'm thinking it will be repurposed for a proxmox host since that's my new area for running local work VMs and learning new things (recently got cloud init templates and terraform working with proxmox so I can spin up machines super fast).