Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I to this day do not understand the forester/outback lineup. We have a '12 Forester, and evidently it's lighter than the Outback, which is more of a car? But it drives more like a car than the Outback? I don't really think the sales guy had his lines straight. It's mainly academic curiosity; the car's fine and it has the AWD I wanted, and the ride height my scared wife wanted (pick your battles).

The Outback is definitely larger than the Forester, so there's that. The XV and the Forester are more similar, the main difference there is engine size and the Forester looks more like a SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

I was a little busy this afternoon with my wrx.

What it looked like previously.

Forester struts and springs, whiteline forester rear sway bar mounts, kartboy rear sti endlinks on the front, and outback rear traing arm brackets.

Ill take some better pictures later in the week.

Approved.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Forester struts and springs, whiteline forester rear sway bar mounts, kartboy rear sti endlinks on the front, and outback rear traing arm brackets.

Hot. :shlick:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

:drat:

Now I'm itching for for Subaru to do the reasonable thing and make a turbocharged Crosstrek.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

so, how's it drive compared to a stock height suspension? clean lookin car there

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Picking up my 2015 XV tonight. The only cars they had on the lot had a tan interior which I couldn't deal with.. so they are reupholstering the seats to a dark gray leather. Auto transmission.. but that is probably for the better since I don't drive stick and am prone to knee injuries.

I'm gonna be pissed if they offer a turbo XV next year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Edward IV posted:

Now I'm itching for for Subaru to do the reasonable thing and make a turbocharged Crosstrek.

Son, you live in the Gravel Express's world.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Edward IV posted:

No lie, if they made a turbocharged Crosstrek and made it available in manual, I would be very tempted to trade my WRX in on one.

Stock WRX is never going to handle as well as a BRZ, so as long as I own the BRZ, it makes sense to be a little more diversified for the 2nd car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

No lie, if they made a turbocharged Crosstrek and made it available in manual, I would be very tempted to trade my WRX in on one.

Right there with you. The Crosstrek ticks so many boxes for me as a practical car, but the snoozefest drivetrain is a killer. I have two coworkers with new Crosstreks and man that engine and transmission combo is just zzzzzz in an otherwise neat car. It's also terrible that you can get it with a manual in the poverty spec, but not with the Limited trim despite being the same drat engine.

Make a Crosstrek XT or WRX or whatever the hell you want to call it and I'm there. Manual preferred, obviously, but you know even that might not be a dealer breaker.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Does anyone have a recommended spring compressor for struts? I'm going to do the Forester this weekend and then put my new Koni inserts in the WRX soon after (thanks Jamal). I had a Hazard Fraught screw/claw external type bend the lead screw years ago putting GT springs in the front of my mustang. The Taiwanese screw type with square cast ends and safety pins look a lot better but there seem to be quite a few variants out there.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bruinator posted:

Does anyone have a recommended spring compressor for struts? I'm going to do the Forester this weekend and then put my new Koni inserts in the WRX soon after (thanks Jamal). I had a Hazard Fraught screw/claw external type bend the lead screw years ago putting GT springs in the front of my mustang. The Taiwanese screw type with square cast ends and safety pins look a lot better but there seem to be quite a few variants out there.

Rent a set from your closest vatozone(napa, pepboys, oreilly, bribe your local mechanic with beer) for dirt cheap, if you have one in the area.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Slow is Fast posted:

The OP talks about the MLS gasket part #s. An STi gasket should be fine and solve most of the problems. Local guy has done headgaskets on a 2010 forester so it's still an issue...

Also gates timing setup is under 400, STi gaskets, like 80, felpro engine gasket set is like 100. A first timer can marathon a HG job in a weekend if they don't faff about.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what the guy I'm taking it to uses as well, though it's too bad even those don't seem to be a true fix, more like they'll start leaking again, but it takes such a long time you'll probably have gotten rid of the car by then. Though we may find out with this car, would make a perfect first car when the kids are old enough.

I was going to do it myself with bits ordered from the US, but I have a tendency to drag these sorts of projects on for longer than I'd like. And since it's our daily commuter, 2 kids to daycare and wife and I to work, I want it back on the road pretty quick. Even more so when the backup car is a crappy Holden Astra that we only use because the owner is traveling and wants it driven occasionally. How something so small can handle like an '80s land barge always amazes me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guinness posted:

Make a Crosstrek XT or WRX or whatever the hell you want to call it and I'm there. Manual preferred, obviously, but you know even that might not be a dealer breaker.

Add me to the list. Subaru of America, get on it. The Something Awful Forums have spoken.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bruinator posted:

You want the one with the big square ends that all the local hardware stores rent.

That's what I use and they're holding up decent.

I had a cheap 15 dollar set of these kind I got off amazon:

And after two sets of struts they started stripping out and bending.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Thanks, those square ones are the ones I was looking at.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Splinter posted:

Add me to the list. Subaru of America, get on it. The Something Awful Forums have spoken.

Subaru will make it, but only for RHD markets.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Does this setup put any additional wear on CV joints or other driveline components?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I stopped by the dealer the other day to drive a WRX and BRZ. The sales people were busy so they just tossed me the keys and told me not to wreck them. I fired up the WRX and the check engine light was flashing. I gave it a minute before shutting it off and going back inside. The lady told me that was normal since the service guys something something didn't put in a fuse from the factory (or remove a fuse?) but it's fine just drive it. So I drove it and thought the car was slow as poo poo (but I didn't really beat on it too much since it wasn't broken in yet). Today I was talking to a friend about it and it didn't occur to me at the time that it may have been in limp mode the whole time.

I didn't question it at the time since they had 8-10 WRXs on the lot and if there was a problem they would have given me a different car, but maybe they gave me the car intentionally to prevent me from beating the poo poo out of a brand new car. Should I ask to drive a functional car since I thought my Golf TDI was faster?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I would go to another dealership if you can. I don't think that speaks highly of how they take care of their new cars and someone will probably own that car you drove.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I would go to another dealership if you can. I don't think that speaks highly of how they take care of their new cars and someone will probably own that car you drove.

That's a very good point. When they handed me the BRZ keys they also brought out a portable battery jumper because they knew the battery would be toast (it was).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If the check engine light is flashing that means it's misfiring which is very bad for things. Sounds like they're stupid.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I accidentally purchased two sets of front sway bar bushings for my '99 Forester. Someone take them off my hands, just pay shipping or whatever.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking about changing the coolant and thermostat on my (newish to me) 100k H6 Outback. Does AI hold the view that OEM Subaru Long Life (green) is the only choice?

Any opinions on ATF for the 4EAT. I know later models (4/5EAT) call for Subaru ATF-HP, and the '04 calls for Subaru ATF (DexIII can be used too, IIRC). Will the ATF-HP (or some other synthetic ATF) give me smoother shifts and my Labrador a shinier coat?

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Update: Struts on a Forester are super easy, took about 2 hours from start to finish plus another half hour to bleed the brakes and clean up. I decided to crack the brake lines rather than cut the mounting tab and it didn't really add much to the whole process plus looks a lot better now. The rear struts were completely blown, leaking oil all over, and the rear bump stops on both sides were torn in two pieces. I've never really liked the way that car rides which I always chalked up to it being a lifted car chassis mini-SUV. Now the it feels much more planted, doesn't float over bumps on the freeway, and is generally way better.

Koni insert install starts later today on the WRX, I'm going to try and fit the struts in my abrasive chop saw rather than use a hacksaw or angle grinder to make the cuts. If that fails, cutoff wheel it is. It's still on original struts at 220k miles so even though they're not obviously blown I'm hoping for a nice improvement.

Bruinator fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 18, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bruinator posted:

Update: Struts on a Forester are super easy, took about 2 hours from start to finish plus another half hour to bleed the brakes and clean up. I decided to crack the brake lines rather than cut the mounting tab and it didn't really add much to the whole process plus looks a lot better now. The rear struts were completely blown, leaking oil all over, and the rear bump stops on both sides were torn in two pieces. I've never really liked the way that car rides which I always chalked up to it being a lifted car chassis mini-SUV. Now the it feels much more planted, doesn't float over bumps on the freeway, and is generally way better.

Koni insert install starts later today on the WRX, I'm going to try and fit the struts in my abrasive chop saw rather than use a hacksaw or angle grinder to make the cuts. If that fails, cutoff wheel it is. It's still on original struts at 220k miles so even though they're not obviously blown I'm hoping for a nice improvement.

When i did mine, a long Sawzall Torch blade made quick work of it.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Just use a pipe cutter, no mess no fuss.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
On the STi today I installed stoptech stainless steel hoses along with ATE 200 fluid with a full brake flush. It feels so much better. The kartboy outrigger bushings were super easy to install and I can definitely hear and feel the difference as well. Now all I have left is trailing arm and lateral link bushings to do and I'll have most of the bushings replaced.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yay!

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

toplitzin posted:

When i did mine, a long Sawzall Torch blade made quick work of it.

Chop saw worked beautifully on the front but wouldn't quite fit the rear due to interference with the spring perch. Sawzall had no problems finishing those off. I don't see how a pipe cutter could possibly get in on the rears, the spring perch comes right up next to where the cut needs to be. Maybe because I have a wagon?

The kit from Koni was short one of the bolts that holds the insert in the strut tower (ugh) so I had to run around last night to find a suitable M12x1.5 bolt. Pretty much everything at a normal hardware store or auto parts store is M12x1.75. Luckily there's one 24 hour home depot around here that's got a better than average specialty hardware selection and I'm back in business.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It was missing the lower bolt that holds it into the strut you mean, or the nut up top for the mount?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Subaru will make it, but only for RHD markets.

Supposedly the turbodiesel XV is wonderful with 100 more lbft of torque and a 6spd. I doubt it'll ever come to the US though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

If the check engine light is flashing that means it's misfiring which is very bad for things. Sounds like they're stupid.

No on the wrx there is a wire connected for shipping mode. When the car is prepped and ready to be sold they disconnect it. Unless it was a 15 then there is just a little fuse in the fuse panel under the hood and it fixes that. But all subarus that are improperly prepped drive in limp mode and have the check engine light. When I worked at the dealership I was one of the few non brain dead people, I did all the Subaru preps.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

jamal posted:

It was missing the lower bolt that holds it into the strut you mean, or the nut up top for the mount?

edit: sent you an email

Bruinator fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 20, 2015

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Soooo after doing some serious evaluation between a Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5 and the Subaru Forester, I settled on the Forester and think I'm going to be moving forward with a 2015 2.5i Premium this coming weekend (black/black). I've never owned a Subaru before. :kiddo:

I've only ever owned a 1990 Toyota Corrolla and a 2002 Honda Civic EX (my current car) so getting into a brand new car for my first time is really exciting. My Honda was reliable as hell, I just kept up with regular oil changes and preventative maintenance (just recently replaced timing belt and water pump) and its run strong for 137k miles - it even got me over Vail Pass in a snowstorm on Pirelli P4s, though that wasn't an experience I would be comfortable repeating. However, it's getting kinda small, as my girlfriend and I are now living together and we also tote around a 70 pound German Shepherd regularly. I took the 2015 Forester out for a test drive this past weekend and I was amazed at how smooth of a ride it was with the CVT and the visibility I gained with the higher seat position. I definitely feel like I'm going to need to tint the glass for some privacy, though. The enormous interior and fold-flat back seats were really nice as well. Not too fond of the small information display at only 4.3" but it's not a dealbreaker.

My parents own a 2010 Subaru Forester and a good friend owns a 2008 WRX so I'm somewhat familiar with the brand. What swayed me to the Forester was reading about how FWD-based chassis like the Rogue/CRV/CX are "real time" AWD only after traction has been lost. I live in Colorado and while I'm not driving over mountain passes every day, I really wanted something that could tackle snow and ice and trips into the mountains with confidence. Plus the people I've talked to who have owned Subarus have almost universally praised their reliability.

Looking forward to it!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 20, 2015

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

X-posting from the PYOR thread:

quote:

:raise:

:gonk:

Driver's lower control arm broke. I found out that it was covered under recall WVX-34 which had never been completed (I got the car about 2.5 years ago, the recall was from 2011). I got it back from the dealer today, after they installed two new control arms+ball joints+aligned it. The driver's sway bar endlink broke while the tow truck dude was strapping it down, so I put a new one on in the driveway after I got back. I have new front struts+mounts on order, which will make 75% of the front end fressshhhh.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Does anyone know what the part numbers are for front / rear wheel bearings in a gen 3 outback? I've got new hub assemblies but I'd like to buy new bearings to have pressed into the old hubs

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

a shameful boehner posted:

Soooo after doing some serious evaluation between a Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5 and the Subaru Forester, I settled on the Forester and think I'm going to be moving forward with a 2015 2.5i Premium this coming weekend (black/black). I've never owned a Subaru before. :kiddo:

I just bought an XV..also my first Subaru. Love it so far and I am really impressed by the thought that went into maintenance for it. Oil filter, compressor, and alternator are all right up top in a line with easy access. No gaudy big plastic cover either. The touchscreen can be a little wonky. I am new to touch screens but its response time seems slow and I have to fight with it to play my USB connected iPod. I have the 2.0i with a CVT which seems to struggle on steep hills a bit but otherwise it is a great little combo thus far.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, I had read a lot of negative reviews on the touchscreen issues which is why I stayed away from the Navigation/Eyesight packages. Subaru seems to be really good about their drivetrains but they definitely need some work on the dash layout/information interfaces.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Touchscreens in cars are ever doomed to fail for the simple fact that tactile feedback is great when your eyes are on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Actually, that's one reason I prefer the smaller 4.3" information screen in the new Forester. It's big enough to convey the important information (MPG, wheelgrip/tire pressure, clock, etc.) but not big enough to be hugely distracting or take your attention away from the road. The backup camera works fine with it too.

Basically when I saw how badly the touchscreen/nav suffered I immediately excluded it from what I wanted.

I'm picking up my 2015 Forester on Wednesday. Excited! :)