Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Brexit lied to me: lovely own brand actives in a Gio with a bridge thats made of tetanus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Trip report: ordered an Ibanez AM93 on Amazon because I couldn't find any local and they were backordered at most other online shops. Received an Ibanez AS153 (which sells for $400 more, $300 if you consider it includes a case while the AM93 does not). Now to debate over rolling with it and going with the larger body size, or return it and lose out on the "free upgrade."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Splinter posted:

Trip report: ordered an Ibanez AM93 on Amazon because I couldn't find any local and they were backordered at most other online shops. Received an Ibanez AS153 (which sells for $400 more, $300 if you consider it includes a case while the AM93 does not). Now to debate over rolling with it and going with the larger body size, or return it and lose out on the "free upgrade."

Stick with it, there is a saying amongst my people - You can make a 335 sound like a Les Paul, you can't make a Les Paul sound like a 335

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I haven't played those two models, but I just looked at two similar Gibsons: 335 and 339 (smaller body, mostly 335, some differences). I was intent on buying the 339, but it sounded boxy to my ears. The 335 sounded a lot better to me, but I wasn't enough in love with the finish after seeing it in person (ginger burst), so I didn't wind up with either. I'd keep the guitar you got, unless you hate the full size or something.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

As an American I fully support brexit as it has proven itself to be very successful in making great pickups affordable again.
that's true, I was pricing out the pre-soldered pickguards and went "wait I can get a trivial-to-drop-in pickguard with everything for sub-$300? thank you Based Boris"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

After a while of solely playing my Reverend (Sensei 290) I restrung and cleaned up my (G&L) Ascari. It's amazing how different they feel played back to back. Spec wise the only real difference on the neck is the Reverend has a "medium oval" profile and the Ascari has a "modern slim C". I always thought the Ascari had a chunky-ish neck but nope, not even close. The Reverend isn't fat but it's definitely got more girth to it. I found myself playing faster runs on the Ascari (I am not fast FYI).

Pickup wise the Ascari starts in output where the Reverend stops. The maximum output on the Reverend is about the same as the coil-split pickups in the Ascari. I was getting a nice clean sound on my Night Train with the Reverend and without touching anything I plugged in the Ascari and got a straight up crunch sound. Weirdly the Reverend has more bass than the humbucker loaded Ascari. I guess they wind them for extra bass because you have a bass contour to roll it off? Either way it's nice. In terms of straight up sound I probably prefer the Reverend, but the extra output does make the Ascari bring that rock crunch when I whip over to the Thick channel. No extra pedals required, just plug in, Thick mode and it does a good ACDC style crunch. In contrast the Reverend needed a bit of a boost (I used my Bad Monkey).

Weight wise they're about the same. Maybe the Reverend is a touch lighter. Feature wise the Reverend has the bass contour which is awesome, while the Ascari has coil tap. Both are designed to give a single coil sound. They're not better or worse than each other, just different. Reverend has locking tuners. They don't stay any better in tune really (But the Ascari is good about that) but hoooooly poo poo are they easier to string. I'm buying some from the Ascari. I'm thinking official sperzels? I like the pinwheel style.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. I guess if anyone is deciding between these two very different choices? Anyone interested in sound clips? I'm not entirely sure which I prefer honestly. The Reverend is so versatile but the moment high gain is involved you have to use the middle setting or it'll feedback like hell. Maybe I should invest in a noise gate? The Ascari has the slimmer neck, and it feels and sounds like a rock machine. In a studio they're a great pair. I really like them both. Now to fix up my beginner guitar.

Thank you for reading my crap. I have opinions about things.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh God, "Cortez the Killer" is in A Dorian, not E Minor, how haven't I realized this before, I've wasted my life. :negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I succumbed to the Bigsby, I could not help it. Looks good though and no stability issues so far!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
May all your Neil Young covers be in the correct key.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Well they will be at the start :laugh: BOING

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I just bought a guitar I have been wanting since I was 16.

I was looking to make a parts-tele from MJT guitars. They are just down the road from me and they have great reviews from TDPRI. They do those nitro finishes where you can either relic the guitar yourself, or they can do it for you. They have different finish levels, Closet Clean, Aged, Heavy Relic, etc.

Anyway, I saw this Fender Highway One Strat last night and had to have it. It appeals to my having a 'real fender' (who cares) and being able to throw it around at gigs and not worry about hurting my clapton strat.

https://reverb.com/item/2660741-2002-fender-american-highway-1-stratocaster-made-in-usa

I'm going to throw a black pickguard on it and put some new pickups depending on how I feel. The Robjert Johnson new pup set is calling my name.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Captain Apollo posted:

I just bought a guitar I have been wanting since I was 16.

I was looking to make a parts-tele from MJT guitars. They are just down the road from me and they have great reviews from TDPRI. They do those nitro finishes where you can either relic the guitar yourself, or they can do it for you. They have different finish levels, Closet Clean, Aged, Heavy Relic, etc.

Anyway, I saw this Fender Highway One Strat last night and had to have it. It appeals to my having a 'real fender' (who cares) and being able to throw it around at gigs and not worry about hurting my clapton strat.

https://reverb.com/item/2660741-2002-fender-american-highway-1-stratocaster-made-in-usa

I'm going to throw a black pickguard on it and put some new pickups depending on how I feel. The Robjert Johnson new pup set is calling my name.

They are great value, congrats!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I had that guitar in College before someone stole it out of my room. It was a great guitar congratulations!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Captain Apollo posted:

sinners brah, sinners

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is the guide for changing out passive pickups on Seymour Duncan's website the best way? I figure there's not much else you can do to make it any easier since it's just soldering but figured I'd ask first.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah but you gotta watch out because other companies use a different wire color code, notably Dimarzio.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

I succumbed to the Bigsby, I could not help it. Looks good though and no stability issues so far!

:swoon:

After The War posted:

I couldn't get the link you posted to work so I looked it up on youtube and man, the original is such a sloppy performance until it gets into the groove. I love it.

E: Assuming this is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiqO1E

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i just got this beautiful thing and wanted to share :)

sounds quite pretty too!
https://soundcloud.com/chris-houghton-914592311/doodling-new-guitar

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Love that white (???) strat.

Thanks to everyone who liked my new HWY 1. I can't wait to see if I love it or not.

In the meantime, is there a best website for ordering pickguards? I don't mind spending the money at fender.com but though maybe there was a secret recommendation for stuff like this or loaded pickguards.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fullroundaction posted:

:swoon:

I couldn't get the link you posted to work so I looked it up on youtube and man, the original is such a sloppy performance until it gets into the groove. I love it.

E: Assuming this is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiqO1E

Yeah, getting Youtube videos to embed in the forums is a bastard. Here's the version I was trying to link to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSajwtmvOuc

I love the early 90s Neil stuff. I don't know if it's that he's more comfortable with really distorted guitar sounds or that recording tech could finally withstand the pummeling his amp must give for the heavy fuzz sounds. Either way, this one is from the Dead Man* era, so I love it. Chock-full of "Tweed Deluxe about to asplode" tonez.

* Brilliant idea for a soundtrack, just Neil Young and a delay pedal. What a fantastic film.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What are some good go-to speakers to swap out the OEM Laney ones from my 2x12? Looking for that 80s metal tone but can't really push them super hard without blowing my house down so I think that negates xelestion v30s?

Debatjng: thr10 vs speakers for cab vs sinners for strat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lovechop posted:

sounds quite pretty too!

That is wonderful and by extension you are wonderful

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lovechop posted:

sounds quite pretty too!

This sounds and looks real good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

After a while of solely playing my Reverend (Sensei 290) I restrung and cleaned up my (G&L) Ascari. It's amazing how different they feel played back to back. Spec wise the only real difference on the neck is the Reverend has a "medium oval" profile and the Ascari has a "modern slim C". I always thought the Ascari had a chunky-ish neck but nope, not even close. The Reverend isn't fat but it's definitely got more girth to it. I found myself playing faster runs on the Ascari (I am not fast FYI).

Pickup wise the Ascari starts in output where the Reverend stops. The maximum output on the Reverend is about the same as the coil-split pickups in the Ascari. I was getting a nice clean sound on my Night Train with the Reverend and without touching anything I plugged in the Ascari and got a straight up crunch sound. Weirdly the Reverend has more bass than the humbucker loaded Ascari. I guess they wind them for extra bass because you have a bass contour to roll it off? Either way it's nice. In terms of straight up sound I probably prefer the Reverend, but the extra output does make the Ascari bring that rock crunch when I whip over to the Thick channel. No extra pedals required, just plug in, Thick mode and it does a good ACDC style crunch. In contrast the Reverend needed a bit of a boost (I used my Bad Monkey).

Weight wise they're about the same. Maybe the Reverend is a touch lighter. Feature wise the Reverend has the bass contour which is awesome, while the Ascari has coil tap. Both are designed to give a single coil sound. They're not better or worse than each other, just different. Reverend has locking tuners. They don't stay any better in tune really (But the Ascari is good about that) but hoooooly poo poo are they easier to string. I'm buying some from the Ascari. I'm thinking official sperzels? I like the pinwheel style.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. I guess if anyone is deciding between these two very different choices? Anyone interested in sound clips? I'm not entirely sure which I prefer honestly. The Reverend is so versatile but the moment high gain is involved you have to use the middle setting or it'll feedback like hell. Maybe I should invest in a noise gate? The Ascari has the slimmer neck, and it feels and sounds like a rock machine. In a studio they're a great pair. I really like them both. Now to fix up my beginner guitar.

Thank you for reading my crap. I have opinions about things.

I love my Reverend for all the same reasons as you, but I did swap out the pickups for some TV Jones to really push it over the edge and it was totally worth it. I don't use it much but when I do it puts a smile on my face

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Whole lot of cool guitars showing up. Should probably take a break from posting cool guitars ... triggering ... GAS....

Broke the high e on my tele during the final tune up after a string change. I wonder if there's a culture out there that has a word or phrase for this anguish. Probably somewhere in Eastern Europe.

e: I still love you though.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

What are some good go-to speakers to swap out the OEM Laney ones from my 2x12? Looking for that 80s metal tone but can't really push them super hard without blowing my house down so I think that negates xelestion v30s?

Jensen Mod 12-35

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Chapters and the Capitan always play around with a lead and rhythm thing: almost always in e minor or a minor: but how do they figure out chord progressions which aren't i-iv-v's? I'm well versed in music theory but they just seem to have lots and lots out of the bag. I would like to do this to jam with my buddies but don't know where to start and we always end up a bit disjointed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Chapters and the Capitan always play around with a lead and rhythm thing: almost always in e minor or a minor: but how do they figure out chord progressions which aren't i-iv-v's? I'm well versed in music theory but they just seem to have lots and lots out of the bag. I would like to do this to jam with my buddies but don't know where to start and we always end up a bit disjointed

They have said a few times that they have worked out what they play before hand, one plays a sort of rehearsed riff and the other faffs around on lead, then they swap.

They love position 1 blues, and for good reason, it's cool!

They basically do what Rob is explaining here but separate the riff and lead between them both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsnXgGJTlo

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Southern Heel posted:

do you mean how do they play over the progressions, or how they come up with them?

if you want to jam out some progressions that are easy to play over with your friends - just learn the chords of the harmonised major/minor scale and mix them up until you find something you like in whatever key, or learn some common progressions and play around with them. I vi IV V, or ii V I or whatever. that's the easiest way to get started with it.

if it's the latter, just either look at the root chord or what the progression resolves to and play around that. so if the chords are D, Bm, F#m, A, B, try playing around the D or the B and see what sounds nice.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like this guy and his approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzm-RjH6N84

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

MJT finishes are very nice. I've had two, an oly white '64 jazzmaster refin, and a placid blue tele parts guitar.

Sold the '64 to buy a '61 original jazzmaster, and am currently selling the tele.

But yeah, MJT finishes are nice.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I.... Love placid blue teles....

Send me pics and price THX

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

I.... Love placid blue teles....

Send me pics and price THX

You may not like this one, unless you want a '50s 'baseball bat' U-profile neck. I happen to like it, myself, but wizard neck it is not.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I've been playing for 2 years on/off and for a few months seriously. I have a $150 Fender Electric/Acoustic that needs $300 of work to fix the intonation because it's a cheapo guitar. I'm looking for recommendations on an acoustic or electric/acoustic that is less than $1k but still a high enough quality that I can play and enjoy it for many years. I'm looking for a level of quality that makes playing more enjoyable, and that if I do need to take it into a shop for any sort of work, I don't get a look like I just served Gordon Ramsey a McDouble as his last meal. If I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, please kindly tell me to :fuckoff: and if I can get away with going into a Guitar Center, buying something $500-1k that sounds nice and I enjoy playing, I can do that too. Just hoping for some specific recommendations for a fairly new guitar player.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Vorenus posted:

I've been playing for 2 years on/off and for a few months seriously. I have a $150 Fender Electric/Acoustic that needs $300 of work to fix the intonation because it's a cheapo guitar. I'm looking for recommendations on an acoustic or electric/acoustic that is less than $1k but still a high enough quality that I can play and enjoy it for many years. I'm looking for a level of quality that makes playing more enjoyable, and that if I do need to take it into a shop for any sort of work, I don't get a look like I just served Gordon Ramsey a McDouble as his last meal. If I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, please kindly tell me to :fuckoff: and if I can get away with going into a Guitar Center, buying something $500-1k that sounds nice and I enjoy playing, I can do that too. Just hoping for some specific recommendations for a fairly new guitar player.

edit; totally misread acoustic electric

Taylor is my favorite, be sure to check them out. You can probably get an American made used or a Mexican made new one. You can also find starter Martin, Takamines etc. in that range. Taylors across the board have half decent electronics built in and Martins with electronics seem to be decent as well. The whole thing is going to be preference, so I would just go out and play every guitar you can in your range.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 5, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vorenus posted:

I went from a crappy Fender (seriously Fender, wtf) too.
I found myself needing a 'proper' acoustic, tried dozens and the Martin DRS1 blew everything in that price point away, for me - actually the small Taylors are great too, they were in the running.
It's got a deep and mellow sound that comes from the sapelle (mahogany species) body. It feels alive in your hands compared to the Fender. I understand why people have a guitar mean something to them now with this, it's 'mine'.
A bunch of my buddies have the Taylor Mini and they are cool as well, but overall opinion is that the Martin is just a bit special. The idea behind it is they ditched all the binding and frills so they could make a guitar body out of real wood for this price. The fretboard is richlite, which depending on who you ask is the best thing or worst thing ever. I like it, feels like ebony and won't warp.
Electrics are Fishmans, no tuner but I don't mind that. No knobs outside the guitar (they are tucked in the soundhole) so it looks like a straight up acoustic.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/drs1/

I'll never get rid of this, and I've now played five gigs with it, across the board people want it, which is really nice and reassures me that I made a good choice.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 5, 2016

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That's a great guitar. I have the larger Taylor equivalent, the Taylor 320e. Mine has the binding and the ebony fretboard. Love love it.

But I also like that DSR1 precisely because you don't have to worry about how fancy it is, and just enjoy having something a bit smaller to really jam
On.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Captain Apollo posted:

That's a great guitar. I have the larger Taylor equivalent, the Taylor 320e. Mine has the binding and the ebony fretboard. Love love it.

But I also like that DSR1 precisely because you don't have to worry about how fancy it is, and just enjoy having something a bit smaller to really jam
On.

Yeah it's got a feeling about it where you are comfortable with it, it feels tactile and like a tool to make music.
I was looking at Taylors, lots of friends have them and I do really like them.
A brand worth thinking about is Faith as well, they are all solid wood and exceptional value, they don't quite have that beautiful edge of a Martin or Taylor but for the price they are really good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Found out by accident that guitar stands can also double as extremely awesome/effective laptop stands.

It's on the couch because my wife is out of town and my daughter has every other surface covered with toys. #dadstudio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah it's got a feeling about it where you are comfortable with it, it feels tactile and like a tool to make music.
I was looking at Taylors, lots of friends have them and I do really like them.
A brand worth thinking about is Faith as well, they are all solid wood and exceptional value, they don't quite have that beautiful edge of a Martin or Taylor but for the price they are really good.

There really are a decent amount of choices. Seagull are also pretty solid in his price range.